Desperately seeking midwife in SE Indiana - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-12-2004, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having a really hard time finding a midwife where I live. I have heard that some exist, but I'll be darned if I can find them. I live in Milltown, Indiana, but am moving soon to Georgetown, which is close to New Albany, across the river from Louisville. If anyone can help with info., please DO!

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 9 Old 09-12-2004, 11:44 PM

I don't live in the area but I searched around on the internet and found this hospital in Clarksville.
http://www.clarkmemorial.org/familybirthplace.asp

They have a Family Birth Place that lets you use midwives and doulas so maybe they could refer you to one. My map program shows it's a 20 minute drive from Georgetown so hopefully you can find someone close.

Hope this helps.

Jen

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty
#3 of 9 Old 09-13-2004, 01:24 AM

hi, i've talked to you before
if i remember correctly
my midwife travelled 1.5 hours to me
she might go the other way
and bloomington is about 2 hours from louisville
you might contact them there anyway
to see if they know anybody
bloomington area birth services - BABS
i know they have a website but i don't know it
you can google it

good luck
e
#4 of 9 Old 09-17-2004, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

#5 of 9 Old 09-17-2004, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, Elyssia. Yes, we have talked before. Sorry I couldn't rendezvous with you when you were in town in July. DH and I were going thru it hardcore and I was thinking of leaving him, etc. Things have worked themselves out now and I am very grateful for that. So, how did you get prenatal care from a midwife so far away? I finally broke down and went to a dr. this past week and realized I need a midwife if I am going to involve anyone else this round (last time DH and I had an unassisted homebirth). Anyway, I just couldn't figure out how a midwife 2 hours away would work for the prenatal care. I can't drive that far because DS is in half-day kindergarten, which breaks up my day in pieces. Dh has a friend who had a midwife attended homebirth in KY, so maybe I'll try to get ahold of her. Thanks for the info.!
#6 of 9 Old 09-18-2004, 12:24 AM

hi jen
for my second baby i travelled to bloomington for the prenatals until i got in the third trimester
i didn't mind so much as i had family and friends there and it was just once a monthish
w/ the last pregnancy my midwife had several clients in this area so she scheduled her prenatals on the same days and travelled up here for them
i really don't know if she, or any other bton midwives, have clients your way
you could try to find out by contacting them
but you probably will find some midwives in kentucky
i hope so anyway
or maybe s. ohio
i know one midwife from bton travelled to evansville for my sil's birth, and that is a good 2.5 or 3 hours away
that midwife's name is jennifer williams
so if you get desperate, you could call them in bton and just see if they know anybody who will or does travel that way

did you post your question in the kentucky tribe too??

good luck momma!

how come you don't want to UC again?

elyssia
#7 of 9 Old 09-24-2004, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, Elyssia. It's not that I don't want to UC again, I just wanted to get some prenatal care. I had a few concerns, mostly just the RH factor and whether I need to get Rhogam or not. I had it with my first pregnancy and then none with my second, so I just wanted to make sure with this one. No point taking unnecessary risks, right? Besides, this pregnancy we are living close to his parents and mine and everyone was extremely nervous that I hadn't gotten any prenatal care. It's not so much that I'm doing it to please them, but rather to take that nervous energy away from my pregnancy/birth experience. I did finally find a midwife (CNM) who works out a doctor's office in Jeffersonville. She delivers at Clark County Hospital, but I probably won't tell her in advance (unless she's REALLY cool) that we are planning an "accidental" or faux emergency homebirth. I figured I would just call her the next day and tell her that it happened quickly and we didn't have time to think about leaving the house. But I am just so grateful to have found a midwife to do the prenatal care. Since she works out of a dr.'s office, they do all the usual unnecessary procedures, but I am feeling strong and have done a lot of research so that I am giving informed consent/refusal. I'm still up in the air on the whole ultrasound thing. I've never had one, but of course they want to do one and I'm almost thinking it might be kinda neat, but then I read about it carrying certain risks and being considered "radiation" and that scares me. Most of the studies where any negative effects were found were usually from long term or repeated ultasound (such as fetal monitoring), but it's still a hard decision to make. Thanks for your replies and support!
#8 of 9 Old 09-28-2004, 06:46 PM

Have you heard of the Birth Care Network? It is a group of doulas, childbirth educators, and midwives. If you are still looking, I bet that they could give you a good reference. They meet in Louisville and have monthly meetings. They have an 800 # and also a website..I bet if you googled it, it would come up. I don't have the info handy but if you are interested I could go looking..

Later,
Jenni-in southwest Indiana
#9 of 9 Old 10-21-2004, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the info.! The midwife I am seeing gave me Birth Care Network's info., so I do have that resource available. She is also really cool and we talked about the homebirth. She only asked that I discontinue my care with her beforehand so that in case of complications, it will not come back on her as my care provider and affect her insurance. DP and I have decided to have another unassisted birth. I just don't feel the need to have anyone else present. My mom will be coming down from Cincy to keep the kids and a good friend will be coming from Asheville(let's hope it's not over too quickly!, so I feel like our bases are covered. In case of emergency, I will have #'s for the hospital, an emergency plan written out, and a birth plan for possible hospital delivery, but honestly, I'm not expecting any complications. I am super low-risk and have had 2 perfect vaginal births, so I think I'm good to go. Thanks again to everyone!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page