twin cities families, 10/16--10/22 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 10-16-2004, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you in or near the Twin Cities?
Do you want to be?

Well, then you have found your tribe! Despite our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and interests, two things bond us together: living in the coldest state on earth...and the love for our children which warms us. The weekly tribe thread begins anew each Saturday. Watch for the new thread on the main Minnesota/Wisconsin board.

Some of the individuals who post here meet weekly. If you are interested in attending a get together, please post your interest on the thread or send any one of us a PM. We welcome with open arms and minds the input of all parents, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, political view, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 10-16-2004, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

hey all!
quiet day around here. thought we might make it to SG as my SiL wasn't dragging us to the farmers market, but she came over and we ran errands together. don't know if buying 2 new fish counts as errands, but that is what happened.

then i rearranged my plastic leftover containers and made sure they had lids to go with them. my lid drawer was overflowing. and why i had so many lids w/o containers and containers w/o lids baffles me...

ok, boring details of my day aside, i was glad to skim last week's thread and see some politics discussed in such a respectful way. we've come a long way, mommas (wink, wink).

working 2 days this week, have DS' parent/teacher conference Tues eve, off Wed and going "up north" sometime to somewhere on thurs. should be fun!!
#3 of 30 Old 10-16-2004, 10:50 PM

Hey all -

Had fun today at SG... very nice to meet some new people!! I'm so glad to have found this place, and dd loves it there too. She's so tired right now from all the running around!

be well.

anne
#4 of 30 Old 10-17-2004, 04:40 AM

Just popping in ~ had fun at SG today. Although we seemingly hid in the corner, it was good to see you all. Feeling kind of hermit-y lately.

Am considering EP tomorrow around 12:30 - if anyone is interested in joining The Midget & I, let me know. (or for directions, pm me, all welcome)
#5 of 30 Old 10-17-2004, 10:09 AM

Sorry we didn't make it yesterday!
We had early morning company yesterday, so I couldn't get out. Oh well!
#6 of 30 Old 10-17-2004, 11:43 PM

EP would be fun. James is in afternoon preschool, so he can't make it, but if little john is up for it (read napped in the morning..) we just might come!
#7 of 30 Old 10-17-2004, 11:47 PM

Hello Mamas!

Brrrrr! Welcome to mid October! Was that a bit of snow I saw today through the rainy bits? Today I felt very glad that I have stressed this past month getting all the kidlets winter wear wrangled. Well, all but a need for new long johns and maybe a few more pair of smartwool stockins. Here it comes y'all...

Well, I feel a bit like an intruder. I haven't even lurked in months and months. I'm a total stranger to most of you now I'm sure, but I thought I'd pop in to say hello. Perhaps I should change my tag line to "old fart".

Stay warm!

Oooh, the banana has a friend now!
#8 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 11:03 AM

I haven't been here in what seems like forever. Most of you probably don't have a clue who I am. I'm Heather, married to Cameron, and have 3 kids. 2 girls and 1 boy. Kalyn is 5, going on 16 , Saige is 2.5 and quite the comedian, and Alexander will be 10 weeks tomorrow (Tues). We moved to Forest Lake from Woodbury 1 year ago. http://cameronandheather.photosite.c...7968851340.jpg http://cameronandheather.photosite.c...7968871249.jpg

Looking forward to getting in the groove again.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#9 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 11:14 AM

browneyed-long time no talk. I've been very inconsistent too. Hope the kids are well.
My2girlz, welcome back too!

Had a good time meeting all the mommas at SG. I think it had been a year since Roo and I had been out! Dont think we'll make EP today, have the dishwasher repair man coming, a meeting tonight and a cousin coming in on the train at 10:30 tonight, so must get my house abnormally clean...
Have fun!

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#10 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 12:35 PM

Mamas!W woke up throwing up today. Hope no nasties were shared.

Snow- be well. I haven't been able to get ahold of my drs. office, feel free to tyr -651-982-7000

gotta run.
#11 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 04:23 PM

Hello Mama V!!! I think about you...good to "see" you here.

My2G how do you like living where you are now?

Hope Willow feels better! I am crossing my fingers about my littlest. When I left him at school they were taking another kids temp. Can't hide out, I suppose...hope it skips us though.

Peace to all today! I suppose we need to start working harder to be our own sunlight and shine for others too...

xo
#12 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 05:00 PM

Hello!

I'm Sara, Mom of Abigail 5.5, Caleb 3, and Jairus 8 mos. I'm hoping to be able to meet some of you soon. I have been meaning to come to something but been putting it off. Life gets busy, kids get sick, blah blah blah (excuses excuses)! I need to stop that! If I don't get out of the house I'm gonna go bananas. And I'm relatively new to AP and need to meet some new friends. Hope to meet some of you soon. : )

Sara

ps. what is EP?
#13 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Well, I feel a bit like an intruder. I haven't even lurked in months and months. I'm a total stranger to most of you now I'm sure, but I thought I'd pop in to say hello. Perhaps I should change my tag line to "old fart".
i could have written the same thing! i'm autumn, mama to e (3.5) and fi (1). like browneyed, i haven't even lurked in months and don't know many of the mamas here...but i used to post here a lot. the summer has been really crazy for us, so i've fallen out of touch with many mamas i know and love. hope everyone is doing well.

fast update: fi is one and walking and talking a bit. e has started preschool at home w/ oakmeadow (thanks kdmw!). she is in heaven because she just received her mermaid costume from grandma. i'm sore from doing my first 1/2 marathon on saturday. dh is busy taking care of all of us and mourning the turn in the weather, since he still wanted to be biking every day. not much else going on here. didn't camp or garden as much as i would have liked this past summer. where did all the time go?
#14 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 08:00 PM

willowsmama - My dd woke up and puked on dh this morning. Weird because it's the first time she's puked since she was about 6 months old! Must have been something in the juice at SG... but who knows where it may have started from.

Hope yours gets to feeling better soon...

be well.

anne
#15 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

wow! hey you "old fart" mommas, to borrow some words!
so good to see ya'll again 'round here.

where did all the time go? i second you, about wanting to camp and garden more often than really happened this past summer...

trying to get a room in duluth this weekend, as alex has off for MEA and we didn't take time to do anything this summer, vacation wise, as a family. but wow, is it a bit more $$$ than i wanted to spend, esp with the cost of camping in my head as a reference.
#16 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the call, kj. gonna call the cabin now. then bed...
#17 of 30 Old 10-19-2004, 01:26 AM

This is the first MEA in a long time that I won't be up on the north shore. sniff, sniff. Tomorrow is the fall assembly at my school but Jo doesn't want me to go and take Tristan because he'll be exposed to kids and germs. But tomorrow we're already planning on going to IKEA. I'm not seeing much difference here. Sigh. I miss my school. They want me to come back a couple of times a week. I'm trying to see how I can work it out. It would be nice, they could pay for health insurance instead of paying a paycheck, that would make a big difference in our little world...

I'm off to bed for my few hours of kid-free rest. Jo takes the late evening shift and I get the 5:45 wake-up call.

be well, j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#18 of 30 Old 10-19-2004, 02:18 AM

Oh no!
Could we have another case of tainted KoolAid again?
:Puke
Glad we weren't at SG!

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBt3LRuxbMdO

Look who was napping tonight!
Plus some pics of my freakishly hyper kids this evening.
#19 of 30 Old 10-19-2004, 01:06 PM

we weren't at sg and e was up sunday night with an upset tummy, throwing up 3 times. another friend of mine kept her step-son home from school yesterday with similar symptoms. something must be going around.
#20 of 30 Old 10-19-2004, 05:53 PM

Danielle you are too funny!! Actually Annababy swung over last night to pick up her Chicago caramel corn. So I may have gotten lovely germs from her.

I have lost 7 pounds on WW and am glad! I even ate stuffed pizza in Chicago.

Hi to all the lost sheep and welcome to the newbies who are joining the herd.
#21 of 30 Old 10-19-2004, 10:03 PM

Congrats on the weight loss KJ!!

The girls had the sickies last week, but just ran low grade fevers. All better now though.

Browneyed, we actually like living up here. 30 min. to St. Paul and 30 min to Mpls. DH has a home office so doesn't have to commute.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#22 of 30 Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 PM

yuck, thrush. hope it goes away soon!

go red sox! beat yankees!

good to see you browneyedgirl

jo's mom is driving her crazy. I swear I run so much interference when she's here. glad she's only staying through Saturday.

We signed our adoption petition and other related papers tonight, so now we are only waiting for the filing and the court date and Tristan will officially have two mamas!

j

#23 of 30 Old 10-20-2004, 12:01 AM

Yay, Jen! It sure is a pain to have to go through all this to get both parents' names on the birth certificate, but it'll make travelling a ton easier if you end up flying anywhere. How are you guys doing with your milk supply issues? I hope the domperidone is working well for you. I wasn't aware that it was still available in the U.S. - I thought the FDA had disallowed its sale? Most people I know of who get it have ordered from New Zealand or elsewhere.

Good to see the "long-lost" mamas back here again. Maybe we'll see you online more often, and I sure hope I see Mamar a little more often IRL, too. Something about living only 2 blocks apart...

I hope all the sickies get better soon. Pickleboot said something about her kids being sick now, too. I hope we managed to escape it - we had enough of being sick after the Kool-Aid incident. (good joke there, Danielle! )

It's amazing how much my child is changing lately. She's been repeating most words I say (some very clearly) and just being amazingly silly and smart. She's been sleeping better most nights, and even slept for 6 hours straight the other night (that's 2 hours longer than she's ever slept without waking to nurse). As long as we get a good dinner and maybe a bedtime snack into her, she sleeps well. It's just so hard to figure out what to feed her when I have all these food aversions. Well, I'm sure I should be happy now because it's going to be much harder with a toddler and a newborn.

Gosh, it's 10 PM and I'm still up! A night for the record books. Of course, G is still up as well. Oh well.
#24 of 30 Old 10-20-2004, 12:43 AM

jessikate thanks for asking, I think the domperidone is having maybe a minor effect, I really notice a difference first thing in the morning but otherwise not so very much - but his poo is still looking slightly breastmilky, if you know what I mean. And he's gaining sufficient weight even though he's not drinking as much formula as "they" say one his weight would normally eat, so, perhaps...I think that the FDA has issued a statement saying that Domperidone should not be used as a lactation inducer but I guess it technically isn't banned or compounding pharmacies couldn't sell it. I got it from Custom Rx in Richfield. Slightly expensive but definitely not hard to get.

OK I've been trying to get to bed now for a few hours.

j

#25 of 30 Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

D, thanks for sharing the pix! the family is DARLING as usual!!

no duluth for us, or two harbors. think we are just going to the cabin our friends have, instead of spending time and a lot of $$$ in the duluth area.

no work today and off to play up north tomorrow.
so no SG for us this week, but hoping to do it next Sat!
#26 of 30 Old 10-20-2004, 11:56 AM

Hi Mamas
Hey D - those are the sweetest photos ever, and yes, your older kids DO look absolutely manic. What were they on? lol ~ too funny. I'll have to show The Midget when she gets home from kindergarten.

Jen - glad you are hanging in there. And fwiw, I agree w/ you about taking the boy to school - unless you meant to have the entire student body pass him around! oh well. I was WAY overprotective of The Drama Queen when she was a newborn, and then perhaps underprotective of the newborn Midget as she caught rotavirus from someone at age 3 weeks and then spent her 4th week of life in NeonatalICU. So it obviously doesn't pay to listen to me Maybe Jo is right.

welcome to saramommy - hope to see you around

those of you w/ sickies - I hope they get better soon.
#27 of 30 Old 10-20-2004, 09:44 PM

Jessikate and Danielle no more koolaid jokes! That is in her baby book you know?

I think we are doing the farm outing Monday all instead of tomorrow. Too many mamas are sick etc. So if you want to go let me know and I will give you details.
#28 of 30 Old 10-21-2004, 06:01 PM

Hey mommas! I have not been able to get online very much this week or last-- last week we had such a nice time up in Grand Marais, and this week we have been catching up on missed schoolwork and practicing a ton *and* Philly and his brother Kenny have been here every day. Talk about coming home to craziness. The colors were so beautiful up there last week; guess October is the perfect time to go. It was nice to come on the boards and see some mommas who haven't been around in a long time.

Pukies everywhere, huh? Hope all feel better soon!!

Mamar~ Fi is walking and talking?!? I think the last time I saw her she was in her little sling! Time flies by sooo fast. Glad to hear preschool is going well!

KJ~ Congrats on the WW! The farm visit sounds like fun, but the kids are playing at Orchestra Hall that day.

4under~ Such cuties you have!

Okay, I am off to check out ebay auctions. Alec is totally into the Titanic and wants a big ship for Christmas. I can't believe it'll be that time again, soon-- although this dreary weather makes it seem like winter is around the corner.

#29 of 30 Old 10-21-2004, 07:18 PM

Mamas! So good to see so many of you popping in!

KDMW -- sounds like you had a lovely trip. I love the North Shore. We didn't even go near it once this year! I have fantasies of staying at some super "shee-shee" hotel on the water, but then I think of what $500 can do other places....

Uck - I have Mastitis. It's not so painful now and at least it is isolated. The chills and fever have passed. But still, yucky! This is the 2nd time I've had it this year!

Jen, you know I've seen tons of mama-teachers with babes in tow / sling at St. Kate's....so you've just got to trust your instincts.

Little james is adding many new words. Most of them have to do with "dog dog dog" as we are babysitting my parents' collie. It's great fun having a dog, yet at the same time I'm getting tired of picking up dog poo and wiping his feet when he comes in.

Off to sew!

Also, anyone in the west metro? There is a cool little gallery in Waconia called "Studio 56" - they are having a "holdiay preview" next Thursday night from 6:30 - 9 pm. With cookies! And cool stuff by me... (had to add that in! )

(edited for grammar of an idiot...)
#30 of 30 Old 10-22-2004, 09:41 PM

mamas please send prayers and loving energy to Danielle's little lucy. She is in the hospital after going to ER today and back to the hospital for diarreah and cramping. She was so dehydrated when they got to the hospital tonite that they barely could get the IV in. They are checking for bacteria and ecoli now. Please pray for her.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page