Anyone from Erie, PA? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2005, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lots of replies!!

Christie Ray is our family doctor - very cool doctor and I will look into Pam Green - the crazy thing is that I grew up on Division Street in North EAst - lived there for 20 years!! That is awesome - I have to look her up!!

I have my appointment Friday with the Lake Erie Midwife Group on Holland Street. I hope I click with my midwife

Cami, what band is your hubby in? We like the Forward a lot - just wish it wasn't so smoky - we've been socializing in NY instead thanks to their strict anti-smoking laws

I look forward to joining a playdate with all of you and your families when my little bean arrives!! And I am always up for a crafty gathering, too!!

Again, you've all been wonderfully helpful! Thanks!!

(I know a lot of you would have to travel - but North East has lovely "Picnic in the Park" every Thursday with kid's entertainment and crafts and whatnot - they ususally start in June after the public schools let out...just a suggestion for your gathering!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 01:32 AM

WOW! I can't believe that any of you are from Erie. I think it would be great to get together this summer!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Hi Erie and Near Erie Mamas!

:

I just wanted to say that we are having one of our potlucks this Friday at my house, 5ish until 9ish. Mamasarah will be there, and so will Hazeldust and many others! Kids are welcome, of course.

We'd love to meet you, if you are free and want to join us just PM me and I will give you my address. Bring a dish to pass, preferably vegetarian but don't worry if you have nothing to share, somehow there's always more than enough food!

(I am making chocolate fondue... if that doesn't tempt you to come, nothing will! )

flowersforyou.gif

Old 07-13-2005, 09:19 PM

Bumping
Old 07-14-2005, 12:40 AM

hmmmmm I am not a vegitarian, and maybe some other things i do are different , where do I fit in? LOL
Old 10-02-2005, 03:25 PM

Hey, how come we didn't get together this summer? There is still time! Who is up for an October playground adventure??

flowersforyou.gif

Old 10-02-2005, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey

Hey, how come we didn't get together this summer? There is still time! Who is up for an October playground adventure??

Im interested in one...if I am welcome..I may not be a total vegan/all organic mama but Im down!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchPixie
Hi mamas! So, I *just* found out we are expecting a little bean in December and I am SO excited - we live in North east - outside Erie and I am going to be in the market for a OB-GYN and/or midwife. i guess I am pretty crunchy..he he - if you have any recommendations - please send them my way!! I am considering a doula as well. Nice to see that there are others in the area - much love to you all -->
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Lake Erie Womens center on Holland street in Erie. They have a website if you want it....let me know....They have currently 3 midwives, they are looking for a 4th, and Dr. Ballengee is the best OB EVER.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:29 AM

Wow so many Erie mamas!!! <waves to mamaDodson> I am from Erie, and I live smack dab in the middle of town. I am a sahm, sometimes a wahm, to my dd who is 15, ds1 is 7 and my lil guy is 2 years old. Its good to see so many faces from Erie. We use Dr. Webster at YPC. He has always been very cool with my vaxing choices so thats why we stay with him. I am going to have to check here more often now that I know there are mamas to see.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7880
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Lake Erie Womens center on Holland street in Erie. They have a website if you want it....let me know....They have currently 3 midwives, they are looking for a 4th, and Dr. Ballengee is the best OB EVER.
I am really glad you are happy with them, so please don't take this as trying to step on toes but I had bad bad bad experiences with them so I had to shout out a warning.

From talking to people I know who work as doulas etc. I will say that it's very likely Bonnie Urqhart (I think she may have married and changed her last name?) is probably the least medically minded/most natural friendly hospital birth midwife in our area right now, though. So, if homebirth isn't something can or want to do she's probably a good bet for reasonably hands-off care. Peggy Boyd and Kelli Gevas, not sure they are still there, were absolutely hands down MEDwives. Nice people, don't get me wrong, but intervention happy in my experience.

I've already whined and complained about the OBs in 100 other threads, so I won't start. My experience with the ob you mentioned wasn't good, he was very insensitive and uncaring at a very scary and traumatic time for me.

But I will say that I consistently hear that LEWC is the best in our area, it's just that the rest in our area are even more hands-on, intensive, medically minded and less natural birth friendly.

flowersforyou.gif

Old 05-12-2006, 02:47 PM

Really? wow. Kellie is gone. Jen is gone. Peggy and Bonnie are still there. I love Dr. Ballengee, though I will say that he has a BIG heart for his infertility patients, and I think that if he had a choice he would only see infertility patients. I have a severe bleeding disorder so homebirthing is waaayyyy out of the question (which is a bummer because I HATE HOSPITALS) It's bad enough that I am not even allowed to think of an epi (not that I would) but the needle would make my spine bleed. I have a LONG history there, but I would say that 90% of the time I have seen Dr. B for infertility issues, so I am really really attached to him. He helped in the aid of concieving my DD, so I am forever greatful to him. I will say that other than Dr. Wise and Dr. V. I hate the other Doctors there. Levinson/townsend have both been awful to me. Especially Dr. Townsend. I'll never forget my AROM with Ethan. He came in (Peggy was delivering a baby) sat down ruptured my bag, left all with out a word. Not one word!!!! I was like, "Wow, he's a JERK" LOL. Peggy was great through both of my births. I really liked her a lot. I was really un-crunchy during my first pregnancy, and by the time I was 42 weeks I begged for an induction and got it. I made it through the pit with no drugs. The second time I had been transformed and I was intent on going into labor by myself. At 43 weeks, I lost fetal movement, failed a stress test, so I was scared to death. I was induced again. He was fine thank GOD, I made it through another round of pit with no drugs.

I have to say that Dr. Ballengee MUST have been in a foul mood that day he saw you. He's always been so caring toward me. : (
Old 05-12-2006, 02:50 PM

I can't wait to meet you! You have to come to the next potluck. I am so eager to sit down and compare notes.

flowersforyou.gif

Old 05-12-2006, 02:54 PM

Sounds fun!

: ) When is it?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:28 PM

Bonnie ended up delivering my Findley Dare. She was great!!

I'd love to meet up for a potluck, too
Old 06-16-2006, 08:10 PM

Hi all! I am also from the area! Just found this thread. I am from North East and recently gave birth to twins. It was nice to see all of you out there from the area!

I hope you don't mind if I join your thread here. It makes me feel like I am connected to something...lol. I am going on little to no sleep here and dh goes back to work on monday....help panicking.

I am looking for a post partum doula to help me....I noticed some of you mentioned Pam Green. Is she still around the area?

Any suggestions on managing twins the first couple of months is welcome:

Hugs Laura
Old 06-16-2006, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Laura - Congrats on your twins! I lived in Erie for the past 6 years, and my DH and I just bought a house in North East two weeks ago. It's really nice here. We're enjoying it so far.

It's interesting to read all the stuff about the doctors and midwives at the Erie Women's center. I have my first appointment there on Tuesday. My former doctor (who I really like a lot) is no longer delivering babies, and referred me there. I see doctor Ballangee.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:23 PM

Yes, Pam Green is in North East but I am pretty sure she doesn't do postpartum doula work. She is a montessori school director (works fulltime, afaik).

Congrats on your twins!

flowersforyou.gif

Old 06-17-2006, 12:45 AM

Hello all! I was just wandering around, typed in "Erie" in the search bar, and I found this little community! Great! It's always so fun to find people who share the same interests.

I've been a doula for a few years, am the mom to two daughters ages 6 and 10 and married to an awesome fellow for 23 years next week! For any of you who are interested, my sister-doulas and I have just started a website www.eriedoulas.com. It has some local resource information on it that I hope local women find useful.

I look forward to getting to know some of you.

Best, Michelle
Old 06-17-2006, 03:51 AM

Brooke~Welcome to North East. I moved here about 2 years ago and we love it! I love the smell of the grapes in the fall. The people are so great here! I just wish some of the neat little shops like "Finders Keepers" wouldn't have left. I love the new coffee shop...although haven't had an opportunity to get their lately....lol! I love picking blueberries out here too...Have yet to get to the Cherry Festival...was hoping this year but have my hands full...lol!

I hope you love Lake Erie Women's Center. I switched in mid pregnancy to them because my old OB office didn't have time to field questions and I was considered a "high-risk" pregnancy due to my age 37 and having twins. I felt it was important to be able to get in touch with the nurses and/or doctor if I needed someone....especially all the way out here! I found them to be very reliable. The are a very diverse group....all different personalities. Dr. V is very serious and thorough I found, Dr. Levinson very laid back and easy to speak with...always seems to have a cup of coffee in hand and a smile on his face. Dr. Ballengee has been wonderful, he really listens is excellent in the Operating Room (as per doctors and nurses and my experience) and has a good bedside manner. Dr. Townsend...I only had 2 experiences with and he seems to have a flat affect....Dr. Wise I had 1 experience with and I loved her. I had many challenges during my pregnancy and I found them to be very dependable....the whole staff that is.

If I had any questions for the physicians...Lynn Straub R.N. was a very great resource to that group and was very very helpful at getting back to me with answers! I hope you like them.

Attila~ Thank you for answering me about Pam Green.....Montessori school well that's great! Thank you also for the congrats on the twins....they took alot of incubating and bedrest but it is worth it! Hugs!

Erie Doula~ Happy Anniversary!!! What is the secret? I am about ready to kill my dh for not waking up this feeding! I am looking for a post-partum Doula to help me out with night time feedings...if you know anyone...let me know. My babies are 2 weeks old...one is 4lbs and the other 7lbs...and they are a little work.

Hope to talk to you all! Hugs and love Laura
Old 06-18-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefullone
I live in Cylmer, NY. It'd be neat to get to know other's in my area, that are also like me. I think that's a great idea!

Holly
I used to ahve a boyfriend that lived in Clymer, and a differant boyfriend that lived in Sherman. I lived in Jamestown for awhile, but I grew up in PA.

In fact, I used to teach snowboarding at peekn'peak every winter for 3 years.

My parents live in Sugar Grove.

I currently live in Clarion PA. I've been having a really hard time finding people like me. I cloth diaper, breastfeed, extended now. etc.

anyhow!!!!!!!! we should get together next time I'm at my parents house which will be next week.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:17 AM

hi mommas, I'm not from Erie, but I go there often, and lived near there for a majority of my life.

I would love to get together with some of you whenever I'm in town! next week I should be!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:31 AM

Hi I don't live in Erie either, But my Aunt and Uncle live south on Route 8. There address is in Wattsburg but they north of wattsburg. in the country. I've eaten at a restaurant in North East before. I dont' remember the name of it though. I drrive to Erie almost every summer to visit. I love the lake. My Cousins all have boats so we usually spend at least one whole day at beach 11. Do any of you boat?

My cousins boyfriend lives in Clarion. I don't remember his name though
I love to see that there are crunchy people in Erie. My family is very mainstream.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 PM

Hazeldust, MamaSarah, and I are hosting a lunchtime play date/get to know you/laid back potluck thing on June 30th at Frontier Park at 11am.

Frontier Park is the park between W6th St and W8th St near the Bayfront Highway. We are planning to meet at the playground, which is on W6th St. If you can, bring a lunch-type food/snack to share (if not, don't worry).

If you are planning to come please drop me a line so we know about how many to expect.

Please come! :

flowersforyou.gif

Old 06-19-2006, 09:09 PM

I wish I could come, but my stay at home moms group is meeting that exact day and time, maybe I can catch you next time!!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 AM

Are "newbies" welcome? Sounds like a nice way to spend the morning, and I'm up for meeting some new folks!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 AM

Hi peeps! we did end up buying a house in Fairview! We close in a week..and move within a month!:
Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriedoula
Are "newbies" welcome? Sounds like a nice way to spend the morning, and I'm up for meeting some new folks!
Absolutely! Please join us - it'll be a terrific opportunity for us to network, find some playmates for our kids, make some new friends. We'd love to see you there.

flowersforyou.gif

Old 06-28-2006, 12:43 PM

What can we do to entice you?

promises of chocolate?

Just tell me what it'll take! :

I have a friend who works at the co-op who is telling all the crunchy mamas she meets about it on Friday, so if you are worried about being the only new person - DON'T. Besides, we are nice and will be fawning all over the new people so being the only new person would make for a pretty nice afternoon.

flowersforyou.gif

Old 06-28-2006, 06:07 PM

I'm planning on coming and looking forward to it. I'll be there with my 7 yr. old daughter, I'll bring along some fruit and dip. See ya then!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Banned

Hello, Erie mamas! I live up in Chautauqua County, NY, right on the lake. Anybody want to come hang out at the beach sometime (though I don't recommend swimming there, there's this awesome playground not too far away)?

Anybody here know any midwives who would be willing to attend a homebirth in Chautauqua County, who are a member of the Beechstreet Network or accept NY State Medicaid?

User Tag List