MI mamas faced with Eye propholaxis or you child taken by CPS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 11-26-2004, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I found this thread from another Michigan mama who was told she had to get eye propholaxis or her child would be taken into CPS/FIA custody at the hospital hours after giving birth to her son, I also had this happend to me when I gave birth to my DD in march of 2003.

I was wondering if anyone else in MI has faced this, it is so scary and painful. If so please let us know, I am thinking I may want to contact the media and try to get this "law" changed. Like one mama said "doesnt CPS have better things to do than bully new mothers at hospitals?"

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#2 of 41 Old 12-08-2004, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so very sorry this happened to her. The same thing happened to us. Both of my kids were forced to get the ointment and BOTH of my kids had a reaction to it. Both of my kids got severely blocked tear ducts and ultimately had to have them opened up after sever infections.

I would be willing to do whatever necessary to get this overturned in MI - it's horrible.
#3 of 41 Old 12-08-2004, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Jacque,

I am so glad you posted. Forever I have been told that the blocked ducts were due to them not being formed yet- and I knew it was a crock- I knew it was due to the ointment. I am so sorry your babies had this too, it is not fun for them or for a mama. But I am glad I am not alone.

The other mama that had this happend to her is still pretty raw right now- her baby is only a few weeks old and she is not ready to take on the gov. at this time But if we can a few more mamas together maybe we could do something. Have you heard of other mamas who have been treated like this and/or their babies having reactions?

What hospital did you have your babies? I had Rainey at UofM hospital.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

#4 of 41 Old 12-09-2004, 08:40 AM

I met Lilylove this summer at the park gathering. Such a sweet mamma, It really hurt me to read her story - NO mother should have to go through this - EVER. However, she is in a very vulnerable position right now and I don't think she should rush into anything until she feels ready.

It amazes me, a crack addicted mother has a better chance taking her baby home than a woman who refueses medical testing and/or treatment.

I delivered at Beaumont. Other than the ointment issue I have NOTHING negative to say about them. They were extremely respectful of my choices and treated me and my babies very well.

Yes, NOBODY will admit it was the ointment. My ped, agreed it could be once, but would not confirm it. Both my kids had beautiful bright eyes at birth. As soon as the ointment was placed in their eyes, they gooped up and that was the last time they looked clear.

It's been a while since I researched this issue, but one of the things I remember reading is that it's more common in blue eyed babies to get a blocked duct. Again, it's been a while and I don't have any current research.
#5 of 41 Old 12-09-2004, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

I will do some research too. I was told the same thing by my doctor, but he is very earthy and I wonder if he would do some studing on his clients to see if there is a trend. My DD had birght eyes too and then goop for 3 months, it was so bad, and they were inflamed and everything.

I think Lilylove had her baby at the same hosptal as you. We also had no other problems- however the only other thing we said no to was hep and vit K. We let them do the PKU test, however I was not aware that with a BF baby it takes 72 hours for it to be correct- what a waiste to do it at 12 and to pic my baby. They did do things to me that if I had not been without sleep for 3 days I would not have let happen, and also when I got there I was 10cm already and she was born an hour later, but really I am mad that I had to be scared like that- and no one told me a head of time.

It is not right and down right mean for them to say they will take your baby. And you are right they let women walk out every day that are on durgs and are crazy.

So sad

#6 of 41 Old 12-09-2004, 08:30 PM

Hey guys.
Jacque, I am so sorry that you had to do it too, and that your children suffered from it. That law does not make a bit of sense.
Which Beaumont did you give birth at Troy or Royal Oak?
I was at Troy. Except for the whole ointment issue and one nurse I was happy with the hospital.
CPS visited my house yesterday(she called and said she was coming). She said state law mandates that they 'see' any other children that are living in the home. So she came met my daughter and left. I asked her if the file was closed and she said it was. I am still pissed but at least it is over with.
Sandy

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#7 of 41 Old 12-10-2004, 01:38 AM

Sandy, I'm so very, very sorry. What a terrifying experience to go through after having just given birth. Shame on the government for putting you and your family through it. I'm sure the vist was beyond stressfull for you and your family.

I delivered at Royal Oak with both and I also delivered my stillborn daughter Amanda there. I had issues with the PKU and Hep as well. The Hep seemed to be their biggest issue with them at the time.

It's amazing how easy it is to sign a waiver for vaccines in MI, but you can't even take your baby home from the hospital without them? It is a screwed up system.

How is your new little guy? Is your dd adjusting well to being a big sister? Let me know if you need anything ok?
#8 of 41 Old 12-10-2004, 03:24 AM

I am SHOCKED to read this! I delivered DD at McLaren in Flint, MI in Feb. with a wonderful midwife. She as seen by the ped. on call. We waived the eye goop, triple dye for the cord and the hep b. and didn't even sign a waiver! We did allow other procedures though- they had to stick her heel 5 times! I was so angry... my friend had an emergeny c-section at St. Joe's after a long difficult labor and they went ahead with the eye stuff and triple dye after she had asked repeatedly that they did not. They did skip the hep b. per her request. What exactly does this law require to be done? Neither of us had probs. with waiving the hep b. I am so shocked, outraged and SO sorry for your familes!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#9 of 41 Old 12-10-2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks Carrie
Jacque, thats really nice of you thanks.
I declined the hep as well and they didn't say a word. I wonder why they changed there stance on that?
Little Devon is doing great! Luckily we had no problem with plugged ducts. He is nursing like a champ and growing like a weed. Lily is a fab big sis. But Dh has been out of town on bussiness this week and that added stress has kinda pushed her too far He gets back tonight though.
Sandy

#10 of 41 Old 12-10-2004, 01:19 PM

Sandy, I'm glad everyone is doing well. We were able to forgo the hep injection, they just gave us grief over it "you know, hospitals are not sanitary". But the eye ointment was manditory, they wouldn't budge on it

The nurses and doctors were all wonderful. I feel very lucky to have had such great people caring for me, it was just those issues that gave us grief.
#11 of 41 Old 12-17-2004, 04:03 PM

Ug, I just have to say I am appalled. I read this thread and the original eye propholaxis story and I can't believe it. I am expecting my 2nd child in April and will be delivering at the UofM hospital. I do NOT want the eye goop or the vitamin K but it seems as though I have no choice? I am furious. It is ridiculous that CPS would get involved in something like this!!
#12 of 41 Old 12-17-2004, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, that is where I had DD (UofM) I would call Seiler, Andrew MD - Liberty Pediatrics
(734) 994-5858 and set up an appt with him befor your baby is due- he has a good rep there and he may be able to help you around this- I didnt know it was going to be an issue or I would have talked to him before DD was born.

#13 of 41 Old 12-17-2004, 04:23 PM

Ang, what could he do for me? I'm seeing the midwives that work at the East Ann Arbor Health Center. I figured that'd be enough and I could decline the treatment in my birth plan. But if CPS is going to show up after birth..........???
#14 of 41 Old 12-17-2004, 05:19 PM

This is unbelievable. Seriously. How can they take ONE single, informed decision that a parent makes for their child and decide based on that ONE decision that the child would be better off raised in a foster care system? I really can't wrap my head around that.
#15 of 41 Old 12-17-2004, 05:58 PM

It dosn't make much sence does it? The best you can do is call the hospital now and see if there is a way around it.

You may be able to state religous reasons, but you can't state personal. I don't get it, but I'll see if I can digg something up.
#16 of 41 Old 12-17-2004, 08:03 PM

SIP217, I wouldnt have your baby there If i were you. Every woman I know that has given birth there (3-4 women) Had nothing but problems, espically with the nurses. I had both of my children at St.Marys in Livonia. I had no problems with any of the staff, and both of my children are un-cirumcised, and un-vaxinated. My first son had the ointment, my second did not, and they didnt poke him once for anything, no vit k, no pku, NOTHING! My doctor waited until the cord was done pulsating before he cut it, and Daddy got to deliver both of his children (well he caught them, was the first person to touch them, and put them directly on my belly) They also left the vernix on my babys per my request. I had to sign a million waivers, saying that I accepted full responsibilty for not havin my children vax, but I didnt get any "grief" from any of the staff about anything, not even the circumcision issue. I had a wonderfull birth, and with my second I had my Doula present, wich was a huge relief, she really advocated for mine, and my babys rights, which is nice to have someone around who is experienced, so you dont have to do all the talking/argueing by yourself. If you, or anyone else have any questions about St.Marys, or if you want the name of a wonderful Doctor, and Doula, please let me know. i do believe my e-mail address is available in my mothering profile. Im sorry to all of the mothers who had to go through everything I have read in this thread. I cant imagine how angry you must be.

Stephanie
Momma to Aiden(6-4-03) and Logan (9-3-04)
#17 of 41 Old 12-17-2004, 08:07 PM

almost forgot, Ms.Mom, In the sate of michigan and severla other states, Philosophical objection is also something you can use to not have your children vax. It was just passed recently. For more information, i would google Philosophical objection+michigan Law, and you should also be able to print up a waiver for your ped to sign, if they still insist on medical proceedures that you dont want your children to have. I will try to get the website address for all you guys
#18 of 41 Old 12-17-2004, 08:16 PM

Ok, you all must be sick of reading my posts by now This website offers information on philosophical obj, and also shows a letter to be given to doctors who are giving you trouble, it explains its self on the website.
www.vaclib.org/exempt/michigan.htm Good luck to all
#19 of 41 Old 12-18-2004, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Nedia- Thank you so much for all your info- it is so nice to see a new poster here who is full of info for us mamas! We tried to tell the nurses and docs that we had philosophical reasons and they still went on about taking our DD. It was very scary and something we thought we were not going to hit a problem with or we would have talked to our doctor before hand.

Thank you again!

#20 of 41 Old 12-18-2004, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sip217
Ang, what could he do for me? I'm seeing the midwives that work at the East Ann Arbor Health Center. I figured that'd be enough and I could decline the treatment in my birth plan. But if CPS is going to show up after birth..........???
Well, once your baby is born it is no longer part of your midwife care, and they have no right over your childs medical care. So you need to have a PED back you up- an Andy is He is super earthy and very very respected at UofM. He can get your the waivers and have it on your record when you deliver- also once you have a PED sign the waiver call UofM and talk to the head nurse, and (dont get into it on the phone) but tell her you would like to talk about some choices you have decided on during your birth and would like to go over them with her and make an appt to sit down with her and show her the waiver that a PED signed- and make sure she has a copy and it is in your records- this will save you. Also get a PED (if not Andy) and make sure your DH calls him when the baby is born- I am talking within 20 min- and let him know, so if CPS does give you crap your doc is aware of what is going on- and will know to act fast.

I think you have some time to get it all in order and talk to the right people to feel safe with your choice of where to birth.

#21 of 41 Old 12-18-2004, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the info Ang. I'm kind of new to the area and need a Ped for my 2 1/2-year old anyway so I should give this guy a call.......
#22 of 41 Old 01-31-2005, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

sip217- did you go see the PED? How was it? Did ya like him??

#23 of 41 Old 02-02-2005, 01:09 AM

I was also told my kids HAD to have the eye antibiotics and the vitamin k shots or they would call CPS... Like most everything in the hospital I just gave in. We also so East Ann Arbor Midwives (actually, we saw Holly almost exclusively), but they really aren't there to care for your newborn, just you. I did decline the hep B though.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#24 of 41 Old 02-02-2005, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon
Yep, that is where I had DD (UofM) I would call Seiler, Andrew MD - Liberty Pediatrics
(734) 994-5858 and set up an appt with him befor your baby is due- he has a good rep there and he may be able to help you around this- I didnt know it was going to be an issue or I would have talked to him before DD was born.

This is our ped as well, and we delivered at U of M, but of course, he wasn't present for the deliveries. But, umm, as of October last year Liberty Peds is not accepting new patients except siblings of existing patients, they have a sign in their lobby stating this.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#25 of 41 Old 02-02-2005, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder
This is our ped as well, and we delivered at U of M, but of course, he wasn't present for the deliveries. But, umm, as of October last year Liberty Peds is not accepting new patients except siblings of existing patients, they have a sign in their lobby stating this.
Maybe I refered too many families there : I think he is the best ever!

He was so great when he came to see DD the day after I had her- He told me to go ahead and nurse as we talked and gave me the clear to leave when the doc there wanted me to stay longer. I was so happy.

Now, when I had dd at UofM 2 years ago they didnt make me do the vit. k- only the eye goop. They made you do the vit K? That hospital is all nice and pretty but so not nice to mamas and babies A lot of stuff happened there that I am still very upset about.

#26 of 41 Old 02-02-2005, 06:36 PM

Seiler is not taking new patients. I called yesterday.
#27 of 41 Old 02-08-2005, 07:02 PM

sandy what an awful ordeal! I am only now seeing this tread and I hope all is well. I remember you from the park in royal oak last summer. you were such a cute pregnant mama

carrie, I had my first 2 kids at mcLaren in flint also (with Debbie Wagner ) and while the staff peds hassled us a little bit, we successfully declined all the newborn stuff they do. we did have to sign waivers though.

namaste.gif

#28 of 41 Old 02-09-2005, 10:58 AM

Thanks Mammroni

#29 of 41 Old 02-22-2005, 11:19 PM

As for the eye blocked tear duct, I'm not disputing that some may be caused by the eye goop, and some children are allergic to it; but my dd born at home with no eye goop has the worst blocked duct of all my children. She is 11 mo old today and still has a water, infected at times blocked tear duct. I am so fearful that it won't clear up on it's own and it will leave me with little choice but to have it opened surgically. I've talked with both our family doctor at about 3 mo old and my eye doctor just before Christmas. At least my eye doctor let me know for sure she even had a tear duct. It's so pitiful to look at...

I am shocked at the so called rights CPS seems to have these days! : And the lack of rights parents have.
#30 of 41 Old 02-22-2005, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilylove
CPS visited my house yesterday(she called and said she was coming). She said state law mandates that they 'see' any other children that are living in the home. So she came met my daughter and left. I asked her if the file was closed and she said it was. I am still pissed but at least it is over with.
Sandy
What???? What was their reason??? This is so not right, absurd.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page