OHIO MAMAS...please write or call your representative TODAY! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2004, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
House bill 554 comes up for review again tomorrow. This bill addresses a woman's right to breastfeed in public. However, there is also an amendment to this bill, stating that private establishments have the right to tell a nursing mother to nurse in a private place, including a bathroom. Please PLEASE write your representative today and ask them to support a woman's right to nurse her baby anywhere her and her baby are legally allowed to be!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2004, 07:12 PM

I wish I would have saw your post before. Do you know what the outcome was of the bill and amendment?
Old 12-10-2004, 07:15 PM

My Thursday paper said it was on hold until the next session starts up next year. Is that correct?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:56 PM

oh no!! i wish i would have seen this one too!! Any word on how it went?
Old 12-28-2004, 03:56 PM

ditto
Old 12-28-2004, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I know it had passed the first part where they decide if they go further with it or if it's a dead bill. So, sometime next year, they will go forward with it!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 12-29-2004, 01:28 AM

I think that this law is actually trying to make it illegal for private establishments that accomodate the public to ask a woman to leave for breastfeeding. It's in response to several area Wal-Marts targeting breastfeeding women and asking them to breastfeed in the bathroom or stop.

Here's the link to the bill:
http://lsc.state.oh.us/analyses/Anal...256F470056F3A2
Old 12-31-2004, 04:56 PM

The bill passed out of the Health Committee WITHOUT the amendment (this is a good thing), now it's on hold until the session starts again after the holiday break. I'm pretty sure the next step is a vote before the full house of reps, and the senate needs to make a matching bill (and have it go through their health committee, I think), and then if both the house and the senate pass it on their respective floor votes it goes in front of the governer to be signed... at least, if I remember 9th grade civics class correctly (that was a long time ago and I have a crabby teething babe now, so I may have missed a step). If you want more direct and current information, contact Erika Cybulski (the bill sponsor's assistant) at [email protected] - you can ask her to put you on her email list of people to update when things progress.

BTW, I was the mama who breastfed my then-almost-6mo babe in the committee room for the first hearing... was in the PD and apparently on at least one news station (tho I missed it). I'm not on the forums much tho, if you need more information or anything feel free to email me at dragonmama AT gmail DOT com (that's not my primary email address, but my primary one doesn't have as good a spam filter and I don't have time for dealing with spambots right now!).

Keep up the support for this bill, it's still a good idea to contact your Ohio rep and senator (not the ones that go to DC, the ones that go to Columbus - some folks get confused sometimes!). Tell them that you are a constituant and that you strongly support this bill becoming law, and get everyone you can do to the same thing. You can look up who your representatives are, go to http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/search.cfm#reps_zip (check a piece of current mail to find your zip + 4 the easy way, and be sure to check the House and Senate buttons so you get both in one shot! ).

I believe you can check the updated status of the bill here: http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou12...C004A1F29?Open

Ahmie the Dragon-Squirrel

User Tag List