Austin mamas! I need relocation advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2004, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're moving to Austin in a couple of months and need relocation help.
I'm a SAHM to 2 sons, one 3 years and the other 4 months of age. I'm planning on unschooling, continuing livin' green, being kinda crunchy, and I love mature landscapes and the thought of living as urban as possible so we can have optimum cultural access. We have an Airstream trailer that I'd like to bring with us and park on our driveway--I'll have to find a neighborhood that won't mind! we have friends in Bouldin Creek whove owned their house for decades---but I'm afraid to know how much houses cost there now!

DH will be working at first on MoPac, but the company will have to move eventually. I HATE traffic, would rather walk or spend the minimum amount of time in a car--heck, if I did't have the kids I'd bike, and DH would definitely love to bike, himself.

What neighborhoods can you recommend narrowing my search to? I dislike new subdivisions--we're moving from one and although it's clean, I feel I'm surrounded by bubbas. We don't fit in, not that I feel we should, but it'd be nice to have interesting, diverse, eclectic neighbors!

Dh has mentioned wanting to li ve in SoCo. If it were up to me we'd move into the Shady Grove next to Zilker but the Airstream is too small for us to live aboard--this baby is going to be in diapes for a while and I DON'T miss laundromats! I'd prefer renting or owning a normal dwelling for the time being--but ah, what a nice location!

I'm game for fixer-upper/old ranch/anything retro. Nothing on a busy street. Again, mature landscape and central location are big criteria! Cost: think RETURN ON INVESTMENT. I can polish a rock till it shines.

Any ideas? I can check craigslist if I have a better idea what the neighborhoods are like. THANK YOU!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2004, 01:20 PM

between travis hights, so co, bouldin creek and zilker area....you are looking at 200-350,000 for tiny house.
If you want in that area...you can still find affordable homes just south of oltorf between 1st and the traintracks by lamar. there are also some great homes south of ben white for reasonable prices. Another option is to look in east austin. I used to live right off of east first (ceaser chavez) and I could get anywhere in town in ten min. or so. the neighborhoods there are still affordable and ecletic, and very diverse. most homes range from 90-175 thous.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
Old 12-25-2004, 01:47 PM

Oh, and my favorite area is University Hills. you can find great houses for your money...3-5 bedroom for 125-200,000 many backing up to little walnut creek. it is not in the area you were looking for (it is ne) but is convient by freeway to just about anywhere.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
Old 12-29-2004, 10:31 PM

Hi,

I'm not really sure of prices. They are, of course, always seeming to go up, and Austin is the most expensive city in Texas. On the other hand, Texas has VERY reasonable housing and living costs compared to many parts of the US.

I, too, would advocate living in either South or East Austin. If you pick a South Austin address between, say Slaughter Lane and Oltorf and either on the East side of IH-35 or stay East of Mopac, there are loads of older neighborhoods.

I also wanted to give a plug for the homeschooling/unschooling community here in Austin. It is really great. To get connected and find out what's going on, you might want to join Austin Area Homeschoolers. Just join the aah-announce and aah-discuss groups at yahoo groups.

good luck!
Old 01-03-2005, 06:45 PM

You've gotten some good advice. You might want to look east of I-35 in French Place, which is sometimes called Delwood or Cherrywood. It's between Manor Rd. and 38 1/2. The prices are still pretty good compared to most central Austin neighborhoods, and it's a fairly pedestrian area. You might also want to look at Allandale and Crestview neighborhoods, which are still relatively affordable.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:30 AM

*bump* We might be moving to Austin,too, and I'm looking for more info....
Old 03-06-2005, 03:14 AM

I'm looking for exactly the neighborhood/home you describe - it's not easy if you're on a budget I currently live on the north end of Austin (near my employer) in a suburban area, but now that we're having a baby I would love to move more central to get involved in the community activities and urban lifestyle... I'm also a realtor and am keeping an eye on the market for a new house for us. Let me know if you'd like me to send you listings to check out.

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
Old 03-06-2005, 11:42 AM

I just want to add that you may also want to check the sex offender registry for the neighborhoods you are looking in. Dh & I found a house we really liked and actually had made an offer when I checked the sex offender registry and saw the the 2 doors down neighbor was currently on probation for molesting a 4 & 5 year old.
https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/soSearch/default.cfm

There are some affordable neighborhoods in South and East Austin, but you have to be careful which you choose. I'd take NorthEast side over Southeast.

We ended up out in E travis County, mostly b/c it was safe and affordable, though not convenient or urban. We're really poor though, so hopefully you won't have to make that choice.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:45 PM

just saw this thread. thought i'd chime in.

we Travis Heights. Wouldn't live anywhere else. But, hey, it's the only part of Austin I know. I'm sure if I left my little community I'd find other wonderful pockets. We are a 1-car family and it's ideal for walking everywhere. Buses, shops, restaurants, parks, swimming pools, the greenbelt, running trails, etc. it it.

Did you pick an area yet? Bouldin Creek is just the next neighborhood over. I think if I spent anytime there, I would love it, too. They have great restaurants, coffee shops, other shops nearby, too. Sometimes I leave my neighborhood and go over there.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 03-13-2005, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok i have to suggest my street. we are buying a duplex in south austin. the street is all duplexes, the nieghborhood is houses. the street runs along a creek and is curvey and tree covered. the duplexes are great prices and all need a little tlc..it is north of stasseny, south of benwhite, very close to downtown-you so strait up south first. coolest thing is this-
my family is very crunchy and our other side is going to be rented to a close friens family, and she is very crunchy- read midwife in trianing-how cool is that!?
and four duplexes down my other freind lives with her family and she is super cool. she has lived there a year and loves the nieghboorhood, knows all her nieghbors. both my kids and my tenets kids are homeschooled...we planning to have chickens...pm me if you are interested-
oh and let me say by buying a duplex we are paying less a month (after the tenets rent) than we paying now renting a house. so its a great GREAT deal.

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
Old 04-11-2005, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachermom
between travis hights, so co, bouldin creek and zilker area....you are looking at 200-350,000 for tiny house.
If you want in that area...you can still find affordable homes just south of oltorf between 1st and the traintracks by lamar. there are also some great homes south of ben white for reasonable prices. Another option is to look in east austin. I used to live right off of east first (ceaser chavez) and I could get anywhere in town in ten min. or so. the neighborhoods there are still affordable and ecletic, and very diverse. most homes range from 90-175 thous.
It's a hot hot HOT market in south central. as you say. Whew!
Tell me more about east of 35--do you consider it "safe" enough for neighborhood play, with other families with young children nearby? Investment potential is better there, but the short term sacrifices the kids might have to make might deter us unless it's pedestrian friendly and somewhat safe--is there much petty crime, as well? We were used to this in central Houston, where we used to live for a while. Do you think the commute to north mopac is over 30 minutes?

We backed out of our original offer on a home, but are still hoping to find something we love. Thanks for your input!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:08 AM

Hey insomniamama, I'm not usually up this late, but here I am, bleary-eyed and all.

My SIL lives just east of I-35 near Oltorf. She's been there for years, probably 7 or 8, I think. There's been some petty crime, I think, but you get that anywhere you go. I've only been in Austin for a year, but I think there are some perfectly fine neighborhoods east of I-35. I imagine there are some not-so-hot pockets, but I can't say for sure and don't know exactly where. Sorry.

Old 04-16-2005, 02:09 AM

And since Liz suggested her street-- I'll counter that and suggest my street. I'm desperate for some really cool people to buy the house across the street from me. We need some cool neighbors. Our neighborhood is old enough to have cool trees, and nice neighbors... although they are mostly old or singles. I do know 3 other homeschooling famlies within a mile. They're planning a park down the road a half mile, but it's not built at all-- so we have the opportunity to help lobby for what we want in a park and then have a brand new park nearby. In the meantime, my backyard is the next best thing. I live near the Harley Davidson at Braker and IH35... on the East side of the highway and the house across the street is 1400sqft and $128,000... all new flooring inside, wood and tile, sadly lots of new trees as they lost their trees a couple years ago.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:28 PM

Old 05-05-2005, 03:05 AM

I have a friend that is a realtor, if you want her name and number, PM me.

One thing that I looked for when I moved here: I drew a circle on the map around where DH was going to be working. I didn't want to worry about commuting. So I drew a circle in red, and asked the realtor to limit the search to within the circle. At first she didn't listen to me, and she kept showing me houses in Cedar Park, Hutto, Round Rock and Pflugerville. I finally went to Realtor.com and found my own listings, showed them to her and said "Show me these or I'll find someone who will."

So... unless commute means nothing to you, find out the address of your workplace/dh's workplace, and make a circle around it with the longest commute you're willing to drive. Then ... let me know the zipcodes within your circle, and I'll tell you what I know about them.

I can tell you to make sure to research where highways (proposed) are going in.. google texasdot to find the website. We found out that some of the places our realtor was showing us were going to have a highway in the backyard in just a few years. There is a lot of road construction: proposed toll roads and other highways being planned and built.

There are also some really neat co-housing communities being planned and built. There is one that is going in just east of IH35 in the 3rd street area. There is a good bit of revitalization going on around there and property values are climbing. In downtown you'll find properties that average $700,000. But where I live, 5 miles from downtown, decent properties are $120s to 200s. MOST of Austin is politically liberal, ethnically diverse... the average income is higher than most other Texas cities, and the average education is higher.

Have fun researching! If you want to PM me, with more specific questions I'd try to answer them. I know I used the internet heavily before we moved here, to find out as much as I could about neighborhoods and such before we met with our realtor.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:55 AM

Old 05-09-2005, 05:47 PM

hey mommas - who do you use for a ped? i think i may actually need to find one, though we've been here for a year!

thanks!

Old 05-14-2005, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba
Here's the thing: My husband will not be coming with us, as he will be in Iraq. I don't plan on working. My top priority is getting my daughter into one of the real Montessori schools in the area, and I will just live in whatever neighborhood nearest the school that I can rent a house with a fenced yard.

To that end, I'm contacting all the Montessori schools to see if any of them have a space for dd, and once I get that settled I'll know where to focus the search.

My parents live in Georgetown, and that is where I went to high school, so I am familiar with the area (somewhat). I don't really care where I end up living as long as I'm not surrounded by serial killers and drunken UT students.
I'm pretty sure that there are two Montessori schools right near where I live. They are right next to two different enterances to my subdivison. I'm in the RattanCreek-Millwood area (183-McNeil-Parmer). I don't remember their names but I can find out for you if you'd like. Its the 78729 ZIP code. There are quite a few houses for rent in the area. It's very nice, all the houses are fenced yards and we have a really nice park on the greenbelt right in the middle of the subdivisions.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:57 AM

Old 05-15-2005, 12:43 PM

Wow, that's great! If you want/need a realtor, I know a good one who knows that area pretty well, her email is kpaweena at yahoo.com (remove the spaces and all that). She's not a mama yet so I like to keep her exposure to AP mamas high. LOL....

I also know a mama whose dh was deployed in Nov for a year, she has a 2yo and one that was born just a week or two before dh left, and another mama whose dh was in the sandbox for just over a year but he's home now. So I know if you want to find the support groups, we could ask those ladies .. get you plugged in.

Well let us know when you get to town, we'll have to let you know about our playgroups and stuff. There are I think 2 API groups, a gazillion LLL groups, a diaperfree baby group, and playgroups and homeschool groups on every corner.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:45 PM

Old 05-15-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama
hey mommas - who do you use for a ped? i think i may actually need to find one, though we've been here for a year!

thanks!
Bee Caves Pediatrics
Old 05-16-2005, 02:09 AM

Well... I thought they were both Montessori schools but they weren't. I could have swore at least one of them was... wonder where I saw it then because I remember thinking it was really close. Might have been one of the ones on Amherst. We've been here about 5 months and I'm still learning were stuff is. I would LOVE to get my DD into the Waldorf School. DH has been teaching her German lately.

Pflugerville is a very nice area. Lots of expansion and growth out in that area.

I'm another military wife. My DH is currently at Camp Mabry, a large part of his unit is currently in Iraq and another group is going to Bosnia. And then there is a few in Afganistan too. They're are all over the place. Let me know if you'd be interested in being a part of our little FRG. We've got ladies with DH's deployed in units from all over Texas that are currently living in the Austin area. We take everybody in. More the merrier. We are moving more in the direction of trying to socialize more than be heavily "business".

How long do you think you'll be living in the Austin area? Long term or just during his deployment?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:18 AM

Old 05-16-2005, 02:36 AM

:LOL That's me. The welcome wagon.

I sooooo hear you about the multi moves. We've had 8 addresses in our 11 years of marriage. We are currently renting but our landlord is interested in possibly selling it to us if we are interested so we might buy. We are hoping to move "one" last time if we don't buy this house. Deep roots wanted. And Austin is a wonderful place to put down those roots.

I recognize your username from a couple of the military tribe threads. I never got around to posting on them. Just too many forums to keep up on.

We'll definitely have to get together if you move to the area.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:02 AM

Elphaba! If you come to Austin I want to be your friend! You have no idea, but I adore you from afar.

tryinghardmomma, you live really close to me. I'm off of Braker too, just west of Lamar.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:07 PM

just a bump for a thread w/ TONS of great info - thanks mamas!!
Old 03-29-2006, 04:52 PM

Does anyone know much about the new Agave community in East Austin?
http://www.greenmangorealestate.com/index.cfm?p=agave

It's out near the Austin Discovery School -http://www.austindiscoveryschool.org/

We're in Atlanta and hoping to move at the end of summer. I've been talking to a realtor about an Agave house. I like green-building and the fact that they aren't cookie-cutter style.

Thanks for any info!

User Tag List