:
:
:

See less See more
#52 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by purplegirl
Tia,
Kia, I am just curious how the homebirth went. Was it unassisted? I so admire you mama's who give birth at home. I am not so sure I could do it but I like the idea. Good to hear from ya.

Lisa
Both my births were attended by the same midwife, who I absolutely trust and adore. I have really easy pregnancies and relatively easy births, so for me homebirthing has been a really wonderful experience. I've come to believe that my son's visit to the hospital was the universe's way of reminding me how fortunate I am. Being surrounded by truly sick babies and women who looked like they had been thru hell made me all the more grateful for what I'd previously taken for granted...

Thanks for asking about us...

#53 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by morningtillmoonmama
Yes, Carol's Daughter is a few blocks up! Next time, walk straight up Dekalb Avenue. It's about 5 or 6 short blocks to Carol's Daughter? It's on the corner of South Elliot Place right across the street from a huge high school (I went there :LOL).
As a Brooklyn native can't help but to spread/share/bask in the Brooklyn love

I went Midwood

#54 ·
Mike wants to start saving for a house, but first we have to get out of debt and try to establish some decent credit. It'll be a long freaking time, I'm sure, but I'm trying to think positive thoughts. I have a feeling it'll be at least ten years, though. At least.

Hi Cat21.

Cheesecake-- there's something else I don't need. :LOL

My mom grew up in Brooklyn. Sheepshead Bay, even. She lived on Coney Island Avenue as a small child. She told me that when she was in first grade, on the top of every paper they had to write their name and address. She was a very smart kid, always at the top of her class, but in first grade it took her so long to write "Coney Island Avenue" that the other kids who lived on "C street" and such were half finished by the time she started her work. :LOL

#55 ·
Kia, I'm in awe. Homebirthing sounds like such a great experience.

So how is Brooklyn in terms of raising kids? How is it as far as day-to-day living? I have this fantasy where someday I'll live in the city (NYC), but that will probably remain a fantasy. However, Brooklyn seems interesting...

I'm gonna check out Carol's Daughter next time I'm there. Thanks for letting me know where it is.

#57 ·
Brooklyn's in the house!
:LOL

Quote:
So how is Brooklyn in terms of raising kids? How is it as far as day-to-day living? I have this fantasy where someday I'll live in the city (NYC), but that will probably remain a fantasy. However, Brooklyn seems interesting...
Well, it was great growing up there. I lived in an area that was central to everything. Park, library, shopping areas, "The City". When I was growing up, it was still pretty safe for kids to go out together and ride bikes or whatever w/o parents worrying too much. The public transportation was (is) easy to maneuver and I had friends with parents from all over the world. My mom did her research and we were able to go to some of the best public schools in Brooklyn & Manhattan b/c of it. I would move back in a heartbeat, but doubt I'd really be able to afford it. That's the only downside for me, the cost of living in sky high. As much as I hear people complain though, no one we know has really moved, hehe. I keep telling my mom to move and let me have her place. :LOL DH grew up in Queens which I think of as the burbs. You have to take a train, a bus, and then swim to get to his parents house and then that's all there is over there, houses. I'm already doing the burb thing and I would gladly trade my backyard for Prospect Park. :LOL

#58 ·
Kia, thanks for sharing! If I ever conceive, I will make a long and hard argument with dh to have an at home birth

It might not be as hard as I think; he is open minded and even more crunchier than I. It's just that I am sure it has never occured to him.

Love to all

#61 ·
Well, hello ladies! I just found this thread and I hope I'm not too late to join the party. I recognize some of your names from other parts of the board, but I guess I should do a quickie introduction. Let's play Jeopardy, bluenail-style
:

1) Debbie
2) Mike, Samuel (otherwise known as "the dictator"), and Joxer the Mighty (feline)
3) Diapering, Sewing and Crafts, and TAO
4) Books, cook chinese food, video games, poetry, sewing, knitting, more books, and the occasional workout with weapons (sai and bo)
5) Eat granola, wash windows, or walk gracefully. :LOL
5) Cheesy movies (13th Warrior, bad kung fu flicks or The Mummy), Lemon tea with honey and chocolate and raspberry cheesecake
6) Canadian Chinese via South Africa

Ready, set, go...

#62 ·
Quote:
bluenail]Well, hello ladies! I just found this thread and I hope I'm not too late to join the party. I recognize some of your names from other parts of the board, but I guess I should do a quickie introduction. Let's play Jeopardy, bluenail-style
:
1) Debbie What is your name?

2) Mike, Samuel (otherwise known as "the dictator"), and Joxer the Mighty (feline)

What are the names of your partner, child and kitty?

3) Diapering, Sewing and Crafts, and TAO What are your favorite MDC boards?

4) Books, cook chinese food, video games, poetry, sewing, knitting, more books, and the occasional workout with weapons (sai and bo) What are your hobbies?

5) Eat granola, wash windows, or walk gracefully.
What healthy behaviors do you practice?:LOL
5) Cheesy movies (13th Warrior, bad kung fu flicks or The Mummy), Lemon tea with honey and chocolate and raspberry cheesecake
What's your favorite way to pass the time?

6) Canadian Chinese via South Africa. Where do you hail from?

#63 ·
1) Yup.
2) Right again...
3) Uh huh
4) Close. What do I do to keep from losing my mind?

5) Errr. No. :LOL What can I not do?
6) Again, close. What are my weaknesses? (Probably should have put tequila in there too.)
7) Righty-o!

Should we play double jeopardy or does someone else want to take a turn?

#64 ·
That's a fun idea. :LOL I haven't done anything like that in ages. I used to love those emails that friends send out with a huge list of questions... but after the 5th one, I was irritated by them. :LOL At any rate, I'll go next.

1. Painting, archeology, and Russian.

2. Violin, cello, piano.

3. Fight Club, Dead Poets Society, and The Fifth Element.

4. Chewing with your mouth open.

5. Time to myself.

6. Internet access, books, and CD's.

7. Important and useful.

#66 ·
Jeca, you started out alright with questions 1 & 2, but then you started answering your own questions with answers! Did that make any sense? :LOL

Bluenail, go ahead with Double Jeopardy. I wanna play even though I suck at these types of things.

I'm gonna open a new post to answer Rynna's.

#67 ·
I will try my hand at Rynna's answers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by eilonwy
1. Painting, archeology, and Russian.
What were your favorite subjects (in college) OR your favorite topics to talk about?

Quote:
2. Violin, cello, piano.
What are the instruments you play?

Quote:
3. Fight Club, Dead Poets Society, and The Fifth Element.
What are your favorite movies?

Quote:
4. Chewing with your mouth open.
What is your biggest pet peeve?

Quote:
5. Time to myself.
What are you not getting enough time of these days?

Quote:
6. Internet access, books, and CD's.
What you would go nuts without...? :LOL

Quote:
7. Important and useful.
How people describe you? How you feel about the internet? I don't know about this one.

#70 ·
1. Not quite-- what are three things I've always wanted to learn?

2. Correct.

3. Close-- what are the best movies of all time? :LOL Okay, they're just my favorites.

4. Correct.

5. Correct.

6. Correct.

7. How do I want to be remembered?

Yay, that was fun! Someone else go! :LOL

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.