Mothering Forum banner

Finally moving to Phoenix

1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  MyTwoAs 
#1 ·
We moved from Connecticut to Strawberry, AZ last year. We were only suppsed to stay a few month but first one thing then another kept us from moving. Now it looks like we are finally miving down to Phoenix (metro Phoenix, Mesa to be exact) So now I need to know where everything is. The area is so huge looking things up online is overwhelming. If anyone has suggestions for anything below (or anythingI forgot)I'd really appreciate it.

-Vax friendly ped
-Good yoga class (possibly with child care)
-Children's swim classes
-Good classes/activities/groups for homeschooled little ones
-Good grocery stores/natural markets/farmer's markets
-Fabulous places around town that shouldn't be missed

Thanks!

#3 ·
Hey there mama, good to see you! I'm in Mesa. Whereabouts are you going to be? I know several good natural groceries...

Sunflower Market - McClintock and Southern in Tempe, or Cooper and Warner in Gilbert. General grocery, produce, health foods and supplements, natural home and cleaning products, really affordable meat if you're a meat-eater, lol.

Sprouts - Gilbert and Brown in Mesa, plus they're building one at Higley and Southern (right next to my house!
) General grocery, kinda like Sunflower but a little more expensive IME. SUppoedly they have good produce, but I go here for my produce...

Superstition Ranch Market - the freshest, cheapest produce that I'm aware of, but I don't go to farmer's markets because there are none near me and I work part-time so it's kinda hard for me to get there on a specific day. The Ranch Market is on Main between Greenfield and Higley, and it rocks. Mostly produce, SO CHEAP, also very limited dairy/other grocery selection.

Whole Foods - there is one of these in Tempe I think, although I don't shop there so I'm not positive.

As to the children's activities, I just have one little toddler so I don't know much about classes yet, lol! But the Mesa Youth Museum is fun, it's downtown at Robson north of Main. I go there a lot, PM me if you want to get together sometime! There is a Yahoo group for AP mamas in AZ called azmamas, you could go get hooked up there and maybe some people can give you some more info. I have a ped but he isn't the greatest for AP stuff. He's okay, and I like his minimal intervention approach to medicine, so I just ignore his parenting advice, lol.

Welcome!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradley method mom
I could tell you all that in Phoenix, but I know nothing about Mesa. But there are 2 other moms in that area, who will have lots of info I think. hope to meet you soon.
I'd love to know where anything is. I think of the whole thing as "Phoenix" so not being in Mesa doesn't matter - well, I don't want to go out to Suprise or anything, but any city close to Mesa is good. For one thing I don't know where the borders of one city end and then next begin
. For another, we've been driving 100 miles to go shopping for over a year now, so distance is really relative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples
Whereabouts are you going to be?
The cross streets are Mesa and Brown. It's one of the older neighborhoods. Don't know anything about it but it looks nice and we really like the house - although it needs a lot of work.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to print it out.I'd love to go to the Mesa Youth Museum once we're settled in. I actually posted on azmamas about this very thing. I've been on the list for months but since everything is always happening in Phoenix I dont usually post. I'm haping ot get some responses though.

Thanks

#5 ·
Okay, well the Sprouts for shopping is only a couple of miles to the east of you at Gilbert and Brown, and you're also very near the children's museum. (not quite walking distance, especially in teh summer, lol, but close). There's a yummy Mexican restaurant at Mesa and University (one mile south of you) called Rosa's that isn't organic or anything but it's local and it's GOOD.
There are some really lovely older homes in that area, I hope you have fun with your little fixer-upper!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples
There's a yummy Mexican restaurant at Mesa and University (one mile south of you) called Rosa's that isn't organic or anything but it's local and it's GOOD.
There are some really lovely older homes in that area, I hope you have fun with your little fixer-upper!

Well we took your recommendation and Rosa's was where we went our first day in the house. You weren't kidding. Yummy is right. Thanks so much for getting us off to a good start. Always good to know one great restaurant within walking distance

Thanks!

#10 ·
Welcome to Mesa finally Karen! We actually live at Dobson/Guadalupe in Mesa

(Melissa, I've been trying to make it to the EVAPI meetings but my DD Leigh usually falls asleep about that time. I'm gonna try again this month! I haven't been since the first one last year.)

#11 ·
Michelle, I saw the chickenpox on AZMamas. I would love for my 4 yo and2 yo to get it soon, but was unsure about my little one that just turned 3 months. Haven't had time to look up how early is too early with all the moving crazies going on.

Melissa, I'd be interested in info about the East Valley API. Need to meet some mamas and my kids really needto meet other kiddos. As for theDobson Ranch branch or living at Dobson andGuadalupe, I'm not sure where Dobson actually is :LOL I know I've driven by it though.

Hope to meet ya'll soon.

Karen

#14 ·
Whew, its taken a while for me to get back here to post, my youngest got the pox (yay) so life was busy. I'm still waiting on my oldest so show up with a spot though.

Karen - If you go to our website at http://www.evapi.org and sign up for the Yahoo Group you'll be able to find out when our meetings/playgroups are. Its kind of quiet right now because of the pox but I'm hoping that once my son gets it (fingers crossed) it will start picking up again. The weather is going to be getting nice so I see many park playgroups in our future! You can also send me a PM if you have any other questions. =)

Michelle - I hope to see you and Leigh again, nap times are quite important aren't they? If my wee one doesn't get her morning nap she is a little crab for the rest of the day hehe.

#15 ·
Amy, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Forgot I had stuff to reply to . . .
: We lived in Norwalk, CT for about 8 years. I grew up in the AZ but I haven't lived in the valley in 20 years.

Melissa, I'm going to try to make the EVAPI meeting next month. We're so busy working on the house that we aren't meeting people. Hard to find balance when there is so much to do.

Hope to meet you all soon.

Karen

#16 ·
ladies I hope you dont mind me jumping in here but I just found this board. I live in the mesa area (right around Festa Mall). I also found the API group website this week. I would love to get to know more AP moms as my friends with Children do not understand or go by AP.

Stephanie

#17 ·
Welcome Stephanie!

We live at Dobson/Guad.
There is a local bunch of us who get together on a regular basis.
We are going to the zoo on thursday.
How old are you children?
Michelle

#18 ·
Stephanie, I'm pretty close to the Fiesta Mall. I'm new in the valley (the original poster) so I don't know where too much is but there does seem to be quite a few groups of moms locally.

I'm at Mesa and Brown. My kids are 4 years, 2 years and 4 months. Once we get a little more settled we're hoping to get out and meet more people.

Karen

#19 ·
Natalee just turned 3 in Jan., Dominic is 18months and Christian is 9weeks old.

Loomweaver-When and where do you all meet? Do you know also if there are single moms in the group?

BoobyJuice-One of my friends lives at Mesa and Brown also. The apartments right behind the walgreens there on the corner (I am not sure of the names right now)

I am in the middle (hopefully end) of my divorc, it has been 9months since filling. My stbxh made the choose to not be a father or husband (when I was 7wks preg) anymore and moved back to Southern California to live his good single life with his parents (I really am not bitter at him). I am 100% wonderful about doing this on my own
, I have been able to parent my children even better since him leaving. They also truely are happier children since him leaving and they also sleep peacefully at night, before it was a battle to get at least Dominic to sleep.

#20 ·
Welcome Stephanie! Did you sign up for the Yahoo Group at the evapi.org website? If you didn't but you're interested please feel free to send me a PM and I'll send you an invitation to join the group.

The Thursday playgroup is a *fun* bunch of gals isn't it Michelle? I haven't been out with them in some time but once we're 'cleansed' of the pox I'm looking forward to getting out again on a regular basis. My poor kiddos have cabin fever.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.