Tell me about delivering at Maryland General Hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-16-2005, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 6 weeks pregnant and trying to decide where to have the baby. I had ds at St Joe's and didn't like the super medical hospital atmosphere (fetal monitoring, hep lock because I didn't want an IV, etc). I had dd at the Baltimore Birth Center, which is unfortunately closed now.

I'm considering having this baby at Maryland General and want to hear about other peoples' experiences. What I am hoping for is a natural, intervention free birth. I'm thinking of this particular hospital because they have the birthing tubs available. Has anyone here had a waterbirth there? Do they give you a hard time about wanting to use the tub?

I also won't allow (unless there's an emergency) an IV, a hep lock, pelvic exams that I didn't request, EFM...

I want them to fill up the tub and leave me alone.

Can I get that there?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-16-2005, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was transfered to Md General from the BBC after pushing 4 hours and still not moving ds out. We were hoping that they could give me a little help that would allow me to deliver him vaginally. the doc gave me a brief exam, declared i wasn't dialated (he didn't say it, but his tone insinuated that the mw didn't know what they were doing), and that i needed to stop pushing to let me cervix dialate. of course this was impossible--basicaly my cervix was swollen from my ds's poorly positioned head hitting it, but my body thought i was dialted ad insisted on pushing--so i was given an epidural with the hope that given a little break my cervix would open up and i could push him out. alas 6 hours later, i had a c/s. honestly i think the doc had given up on a v-birth the moment he saw me.

anyway, my point is i can't tell you what birthing is like there having never done it, though i did get aiv and efm. BUT i can say i wasn't thrilled with my post-partum care. we had bf-ing issues from the start, but the don't have a l/c on staff, and the nurses were no help. they kept wanting to give him formula to get him to stop crying [we roomed in mostly, but because of the c/s i couldn't care for the babe so if they knew i was alone, they didn't want me to have him cuz i couldn't get out of bed to get him out of the bassinette, couldn't change him, etc.] the whole atmosphere was very discouraging. i asked to talk to the ped. but never saw him/her. when it came time for me to start walking the halls we were told that dh couldn't carry ds, had to put him in the basinette and push him. the nurses discouraged me from eating real food even after the mw cleared me. and despite being a mess from a long hard labor, post-partum bleeding etc, i got little help trying to get cleaned up. i hated it. i recognize that my c/s played a big role but even trying to factor that out i can't recommend them.

have you thought about special beginnings or the other bc in this region?

good luck!
#3 of 3 Old 01-16-2005, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mercy does waterbirths too, right? Kathy Sloane delivers there.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page