Quoted: 0 Post(s)
holy smokes, it is freakin' feb ya'll!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 134 Old 02-02-2005, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No kidding! There's so much snow piled up here I don't think I'll see the ground untill at least July : Happy Feb everyone, curse that stinky little groundhog though.

mama to beautiful Sequoia
#3 of 134 Old 02-02-2005, 05:08 PM

Ahh...Feb. Spring is getting closer!! And we get to go on vacation this month!!Yee-haw I cant wait. The snow is going to melt here this week as the weather man is calling for 40 degrees. Watch out east coast mamas the heat waves comming your way

darkstar
#4 of 134 Old 02-02-2005, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

i need to feel some sun on my skin!!!

i am a poofball lately.
my scalp is much better though!

i am hitting the healthfood store in a few to get more shampoo. i am gonna put some rosemary oil in.
oooh and www.enchantedsoapworks.com sells a dreadbar and so does www.phunybrewster.com

hope all are well.
love,j
#5 of 134 Old 02-03-2005, 01:32 AM

Hi mamas.
I was wondering why it was so quiet on the Jan thread.
Well, I gotta get back to my laundry and frantic packing as our river is flooding and I have to get us outta here tommorrow. I think we are going to go sit at my dad's condo in Destin FL. There is a heated pool and cable, so we'll have fun! There's no internet there, tho, so I'll be gone for a while.
Hang in there, you cold mamas....spring is closer every day!
#6 of 134 Old 02-03-2005, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about the flood MamaMillie.
Stay warm and dry.
We'll miss ya'!

Anyhow, The hair is having a bout of "Bigness". Probably b/c I am all done w/using wax.
I am really "letting go" which is not normal for me. It is freeing and feels really good.
I am feeling more comfortable letting my hair do what it will.
I still seperate them, but that is is.
I know it being winter helps a ton.
If I were all crabby and sweaty, it would be a different story.
(I love heat and sun, but i detest humidity!)
We shall see what occurs here in the next week or so.
Gonna sew up some big tube headbands outta recycled t-shirts.
wish me luck.

I'll post some new pics soon.

love,Jennifer
#7 of 134 Old 02-03-2005, 04:17 AM

It felt like spring here in the pacific northwest. Clear blue skies with the birds singing, the trees budding, and warm temperatures.

My hair is puffy too and I don't even have dreads. My one dread is really getting long. It isn't very fat but it is a nice consistancy. I definitely think a whole head full of that size would be the right size for up here in the humidity. It dries rather quickly. I blast it for a few minutes with the hair dryer and make sure I have squeezed all the water out and it dries with a quickness.

Has anyone ever sewn anything onto their dreads? What did you use as thread? I have a bell attached to my one dread now but the hemp gives out a lot. I want something more permanent and am thinking I might try and sew it in there somehow. Anyone have experience with this?

Well, better go. Those kittens are getting into something out there. If it isn't the kids getting into something it is those damn kittens. I swear!

Peace,
Shelbi
#8 of 134 Old 02-03-2005, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

You may want to ask on the Knottylocks forum. (outside MDC)
I have gotten some helpful hints from them.
I am starting to want to decorate mine as well.
peace,J
#9 of 134 Old 02-03-2005, 06:12 PM

Thanks. Will check it out.

Peace,
Shelbi
#10 of 134 Old 02-03-2005, 11:53 PM

hey mamas,

I haven't posted on the dready thread in a while as I no longer have dreads.

Shelbi,

I have embroidered in several peoples dreads using DMC floss. I did a moon and tree for a friend about 5 years ago and its still there (and you can tell what it is!)

I also had seed beads sewn into one of my dreads and they were in for 4 years before I decided to cut them out. I just used some thread from Walmart for that.

Good luck!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#11 of 134 Old 02-04-2005, 03:02 PM

Thanks. Lovelocks please don't feel like you can't post here anymore just because you are now sans dreads. All are welcome.

Peace,
Shelbi
#12 of 134 Old 02-05-2005, 02:11 AM

8 years of the locks are over for me. It took me an entire month, and they're finally combed out. I just cut to my shoulders and then it took about 2 hours to comb each one. My hair is about 5 inches below my shoulders now. I need to get it cut, though. It's scraggly as hell. I look like a commercial for damaged hair products!

Okay, but what I really found y'all to post about is this movie we're watching on TBS right now called "A Knight's Tale". Pretty silly movie, medievil times with Queen and rock music playing in the back ground, etc etc. anyhow, there is THE HOTTEST dreadie boy in it. seriously. I don't know his name. He's the star. He has locks in the beginning, but cuts them out about 15 minutes into it. Still damn hot, though. I think DH is insane with jealousy from me lusting over this guy

much love mamas!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#13 of 134 Old 02-05-2005, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

lovelocks, i 2nd hm2, of course you are welcome

dreadymama, you must have super patience!!
I have no idea how i will feel after 8 years, but i am sure a lover of radical change.
my dh has had cleansing experiences shaving his locks and then remorseful ones. but he keep coming back. of course, he feels that each set is very different.
these, he says, are for our girls. awwww, he's so sweet.
he is on a pedastal around here today since he scrubbed the kitchen floor while i was sleeping w/ dd#2.

I'm still poofy, but going through what i consider to be a productive "loopy" stage. it doesn't really bother me since i have always been a curlytop with big hair
my dd#1 is too.
i'll include a pic of the two of us soon.
we are wild haired women
anyhow my hair is shrinking, which dh says is "GOOOOOD".
i made some tubes outts fleece scrap and it is like a wrm bandana. great for when i have a bad dread day.
i still need to make the recycled t-shirt ones. :
if anyone wants one lmk. i'll send you one. no chanrge

anyhow, where has wemoon been? hope you are well mama!,
love,jen
#14 of 134 Old 02-06-2005, 03:04 PM

just marking the thread
#15 of 134 Old 02-06-2005, 05:56 PM

Hi gang.
I am still by the riverside; we decided to stick out the flood. I might have messed up really bad though. Folks are parking their cars up the road a mile or so and I left mine up there for a couple of days. But it is the most stolen car in America or something (an old accord) and was making me nervous. I looked at the river and it had a way to go up a hill and then all the way across the yard before it would be under the house where I park, and I talked to a neighbor, who also thought it should be fine, and so I brought my car back under my house. This morning Will woke up and looked out the window and said why is the road a big puddle? The river breached the road down the street and though it is still down the hill in the front yard, it is coming down the street in the back. And then, they changed the forecast stage...now they say it will go another foot higher than they were saying yesterday. Plus, it is supposed to rain tommorrow and the next couple of days. CRAP I am afraid my car is going to get ruined. It will be okay. It will be okay. It will be okay.
Dh has to wade in and out a mile through water to get to his car to come and go from work; me and baby are just staying put. I went to the library and took out the max tapes and lots of books and bought a little sack of fun suprises and stocked up on groceries, so we should be good. Today there is still a little yard left in front so I am about to take him out to play while we still can.

Last night I turned on all the bathroom lights and went to work on my dreads and found white flakes flying off my scalp and sticking in my hair. GROSS. I have never had dandruff in my life, but I guess that is what it is.
I wonder if it is from the salt spray. I think I'll dump out the salt stuff and just use water w lavender and tea tree on the scalp and hope that clears it up.

So what's going on, mamas?
#16 of 134 Old 02-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Hi mamas! happy super bowl sunday. As you can see I'm doing nothing to celebrate.

I never thought of embroidering something on dreads - that sounds realy cool! I had three pretty wooden beads on the but they kept falling out. I think they are fatter now and I shoudl try again.

Wow, flooding - not cool. Keeps us posted, mamamillie.

A knights tale - cute movie, dh and I saw it on our honeymoon (lame, I know, we were really poor!) That guy is really hot, and the dreads looked great on him!

The ends of my dreads won't dread. It's just about an inch or two on most, but they insist on staying undreaded, and many of them curl (and I have very straight hair!) Any ideas? I'm not even sure if I care or not, though.

I've been wrapping my dreads up on my head in cloth, but I think I need a better technic. Any instructions? lol. It looks good, but it doesn't stay as tight as I'd like.
#17 of 134 Old 02-06-2005, 11:47 PM

I used to tie up the ends and then secure them with hemp. It would help the hair lock up on its own so I could remove the hemp. That is what I did this time with my one dreadie and it worked out really well. I have a nice loop at the bottom of bob and it looks awesome.

Not much going on except for school, work, and kids. I should be typing out my math project right now but I am procrastinating and checking the forums instead.

Hope everyone has a great day. I hope your car doesn't get ruined mamamillie. Have you started making an arc yet? :LOL Just in case...

Peace,
Shelbi
#18 of 134 Old 02-07-2005, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

i know people who have loose ends forever.
it doesn't really bother me too much. but i have heard of people sewing them in.
and putting rubberbands on and pushing it inside itself then another rubberband that you later remove from the outside. it swallows the other one. see dreadheadhq.com for a picture.
I too ditched the salt spritz for a while.
i was looking at my roots the other day and saw mad dandruff. it was gross!
I used tea tree shampoo and added a few drops of lavendar and about 8 drops of rosemary essential oil to my shampoo and it is like it has never happened. my scalp is feeling and looking lovely.
i am going to concoct a scalp treatment too with tea tree,rosemary,lavendar oils and jojoba as a carrier. gotta go dd needs mama.
love,j
#19 of 134 Old 02-07-2005, 04:12 PM

dready*mama- You are pretty determined to brush you dreadies out. OUCH!! When I started to lock up this time, I tried to brush them out, but just couldnt handle it...so I have dread again.

mamamillie-that sucks about your house, car etc. i hope it drys out down there. You hairy lovin hippie looker :LOL

I can finally feel the baby kicking around in there. It feels so awsome . Just found out that s/he is comming a month earlier than we thought.
:

Well I hope all is well for everyone

darkstar
#20 of 134 Old 02-07-2005, 08:07 PM

The snow's melting! After umpteen feet of it in the crazy blizzard it's finally starting to melt a bit. So nice to have the sun out for a while.

Lunar Forest- http://www.bilaldesigns.com/ They have instructions on how to wrap up locks. I found this site really helpful once mine were long enough to wrap well.

Dd is actually taking a nap now and I don't know what to do with myself! She hasn't done this in months. I should probably post more stuff on ebay. Not to plug or anything but check my stuff out.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlittletree919

Hope all is well, blessings

mama to beautiful Sequoia
#21 of 134 Old 02-07-2005, 08:17 PM

ouch is right! I couldn't touch areas of my scalp after combing for a couple days! But it's over now.
I love checking out other MDC mamas ebay stuff. I wish that were more legal here, but I doubt anyone will check this thread I've got stuff ending today too my ebay name is children*of*the*forest if anyone wants to <- i tried to make that smaller and more inconspicuous, but it didn't work :

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#22 of 134 Old 02-07-2005, 09:32 PM

mamamillie: What river are you by? I hope you all stay dry and safe!

As for my ends, they are loose too and they curl like little piggie tails! I love em, but I do have a few that were a little out of control so I tucked the loose part inside the dread and banded it. I stuffed it in with a pencil! (I bet I looked funny doing that, now that I think about it!) Anyway, so a couple of mine are real fatties right to the end while others are whispy. When I fixed those few, I realized I was losing a lot of length by getting rid of the ends, so I kept the others long. After I fixed the ends, I also couldn't slide beads up on those dreads anymore because they were too fat.

Well, I am pretty sick ("Flu shot? I don't need no stinkin' flu shot!") so I'm gonna go. Hope you are doing great!!!
#23 of 134 Old 02-07-2005, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyknottymom
("Flu shot? I don't need no stinkin' flu shot!")
:

Great ideas... I'm going to have to try 'em. I'm not too worried about loosing length because they already come nearly to my a$$. I'm itchy, I'm going to have to do something about that. do any of you mamas make something great that you want to sell me, I mean, anti-ithy wise? LKM
#24 of 134 Old 02-08-2005, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

i will send you some of the concoction for free when i make it. in the mean time get yourself some tea tree shampoo. it helps i swear.

darkstar,"You hairy lovin hippie looker ".
LOL i must admit. I was looking too
I sent a link to dh even!
I thought I would make his day by sending him a sexy e-mail link
#25 of 134 Old 02-08-2005, 03:18 PM

hairy luvin' hippie looker? am I missing something or just too irie to get it? dready mama, I went to go lookee, and you have nada for sale, what gives?
fwiw, I too am on w/ the fight against dandruff, must just be the season. I also have alot of wispies at the ends and I love 'em!
mamamille, I'm sending you mad DRY energy, w/ a lil' floaty energy just in case! good luck, hope it helps!!
#26 of 134 Old 02-08-2005, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

we bumped into one another over in the "hairy mamas tribe".
someone posted a link to a page of nudy,dready,unshaven ladies. check it out

and what i meant was, i will make some up for you, but not for $$. it will be free ya know.
i just have to get some carrier oil(jojoba)
peace,jennifer
#27 of 134 Old 02-08-2005, 07:09 PM

That link on the hairy mamas thread is really great. Dh and I keep sneaking back (independantly) and checking it out. It's really nice
#28 of 134 Old 02-08-2005, 07:24 PM

Hi mamas,
OMG I lost it in front of my ds this morning. I don't usually get mad....frustrated sometimes, but I go hide out in the bathroom...so he hasn't seen me screaming and mad. He has now. OMG. I screamed and cried and told him what he did was bad (don't like to use value judgements w him).
We are stuck in here for this flood and this morning I came in the kitchen and nothing in my freezer was frozen and the fridge wasn't cold. I was like what the heck, this is an almost brand new fridge. Finally I figured out the trouble...there is a dial right in front that Will turned to OFF. Like I said, I freaking lost it. I screamed at him, I cried, I told him we were all gonna starve because of what he did! Then I calmed down and apologized for overreacting but tried to impress upon him that he must never do that again. Then I calmed down more and started checking stuff out....I really don't know if I should throw everything away or if some things will be okay...he was begging for milk and I told him it was ruined (dh just waded out and bought a brand new carton last night), but then I smelled it and it really smelled totally fine. SO I let him drink it. But I wonder about the eggs, etc and especially about the freezer....I think I DO need to throw everything out of there. But that is a question about the eggs, ladies, do you think I can use them if they were in the fridge turned off over night? Cuz dh isn't gonna bring home eggs through the flood. Of course it is better safe than sorry, so if I am not sure I will throw them out. Damn. I can't believe this happened!
UGH. Thanks for letting me vent.
Good news is, the river will start to recede tommorrow and we will be able to drive out on Fri or Sat. Oh, and my car will be fine; the water is really shallow under the house, just the tires are wet.
Hope ya'll are all good.
#29 of 134 Old 02-08-2005, 07:38 PM

mamamille, the eggs are fine, they would be fine for a couple of days. everything else from the freezer should go in the fridge, meats can stay in the fridge un cooked for up to 3 days and cooked for up to 7 days. use all the dairy within the next 2-3 days. you shoulb be fine
#30 of 134 Old 02-08-2005, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

i think i have read about a trick with eggs. if you put them in a bowl of water and the float, they are no longer good.
but don't quote me :

anyhow, i think much of what you have is fine.
i'd follow my nose.
and cook up the frozen food. it can be refrozen for s few weeks after preperation.
i would have freaked out too. but i know that regret after handling things differently than you wish you had. it tears my heart apart.
but, i've been there.
sometimes those important impressions just happen.
you are human.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page