Midwife and doula recommendation in MA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-07-2005, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live south of Boston, and I am looking for a midwife and a doula. I know names and locations of many, but I was looking for personal recommendations. Anyone have any experiences they would like to share? We will be TTC soon, and I want to get a head start on this!

Also, ideally I would like a waterbirth in a birth center.

Thanks for any help, mamas! Feel free to PM me with any specific info you don't want to post here.
#2 of 11 Old 02-07-2005, 11:26 PM

I loved the pre-natal care I received at the Cambridge Birth Center. I ended up delivering at the hospital because of pre-e/PIH - even though I had every intervention short of a c-section I am still pleased with my experience. The entire midwife staff is fantastic. They have an in-house doula program that I utilized as well. I would go there again in a second.
#3 of 11 Old 02-10-2005, 02:12 PM

Heather Laier is a fantastic midwife and doula. I had a home waterbirth w/ her. I did start my prenatal care at The Cambridge Birth Center, but realized i wanted a more personal experience then they could offer. you can pm if you have any questions!

good luck
#4 of 11 Old 05-24-2005, 04:11 PM

Well, Heather is good with the non-intervention, sit in the corner and knit sort of homebirth(real hands off zzzzzzzz).

We had one great birth with her straight forward, she caught with my husband. Second homebirth, not so great.

Our sixth child(or so we thought) ended up being twins(undiagnosed despite repeated question from us...are you sure there's only one? We have 5 older children)

Baby#1 vertex vaginal at home......Baby #2 transvervse presenting with hand (TOTAL BABY MASS OVER 13 lbs), velamentous insertion of cord, 911 transfer resulting in vertical c-section, transfer to Children's Hospital Boston, death of our baby and many blood transfusions for mom.
\
Needless to say, would not recommend

BTW, I'm a postpartum doula so see many sets of twins/triplets and hear the stories of appropriate diagnosis/intervervention.

Sincerely,
Laura Hill
#5 of 11 Old 05-25-2005, 01:48 AM

I have also been pleased with the Cambridge Birth Center - delivered my daughter there 3 1/2 years ago, and am seeing them again for my second, due in a few weeks. The one midwife who I had a less-than-positive experience with no longer works there. I would very highly recommend both Connie and Christley, the two that I have seen the most.
#6 of 11 Old 05-25-2005, 09:25 PM

Does anyone have any experiance with the Beverly Birth Center??? I'm thinking of going there next time and just thought I'd ask while we were talking about it. I'm in Melrose and went to Winchester Hospital with Aly which wasn't horrible but I want to go totally natural next time. I'd love to go to Cambridge but I'm afraid DH will protest as we could potentially get stuck in traffic trying to get there (he's such a man Sorry to intrude on your post.
#7 of 11 Old 05-27-2005, 10:34 PM

I have mixed feelings about the North Shore Birth Center at Beverly Hospital. I have not delivered there, but have been there twice over the past 2 years for my well-woman care. (I received my prenatal care for my son at the Birth Place at Wellesley - you can read that tale in an earlier posting on this board - just click on my user name & then "find more posts by") I really liked the CNM I saw there last year, but wasn't crazy about the one I saw this year.

Keep in mind that these are MED-wives (vs. midwives) and they have some pretty stict protocals based on hospital/doctor policy. Among many other "protocals", if you have had a previous c-section, you can no longer VBAC at the North Shore Birth Center or Birth Place at Wellesley - you have to try for a VBAC at the hospital if you want to deliver with these folks (I'm not sure about Cambridge).

There is a birth center with 2 locations in New Hampshire called The Birth Cottage. It may be too far for you, but I would highly recommend the owner/primary midwife there, Adrian (if applicable, you can VBAC at The Birth Cottage). We interviewed her as a possibility for our homebirth (we have decided on a homebirth for baby #2) but decided it was just too far to travel for prenatal visits.

In my opinion, one of the real downsides of being in a being in a larger birth center environment (such as Beverly, Wellesley or Cambridge - the NH one is much smaller) is that there are numerous midwives. So not only do you not know who will be attending your birth - it would be who ever is on call when you go into labor, since you see 5 or 6 or more midwives over the course of your pregnancy, the midwives never have a chance to "know" your body, the positioning of your baby, detecting any changes from one visit to the next, etc. I think this leaves a lot more room for the possibility of intervention vs. seeing 1 or 2 midwives over the course of your pregnancy.

HTH,
C
#8 of 11 Old 05-31-2005, 08:23 AM

My midwife Catherine Walker is fabulous. She used to have her own practice Urban Midwife Associates. In addition she is a staff midwife at Boston Medical Center. BMC is the only hospotal in NE with a WHO 'Baby Freindly Hospital' desigation. I delivered at BMC and everyone gets a free doula. I was in a huge pool for most of my labor (didn't end up delivering in the water for several reasons) A wonderful birth expereince and I was able to leave the hostpial 6 hours after dd birth. PM me if you want Catherin's info

Amy
#9 of 11 Old 06-28-2005, 11:25 AM

I've had a friend use the Beverly Center and love it! I just had my second at the Mt. Auburn Midwifery group and am so happy I can't believe it! They were absolutely wonderful . . . I would recommend the Mt. Auburn group to anyone.
#10 of 11 Old 06-28-2005, 03:30 PM

My daughter Megan was born at the birth center in Beverly. It was a positive experience. I suppose if you are looking for something more hands off than a homebirth might be up your alley. I don't mind seeing 5 or 6 different midwives. As long as it's a midwife and I'm not at a hospital with suggested interventions that seem like the norm. Megan was born 11 days after my due date. They did not recommend induction until just 2 days before 42 weeks. But I ended up going into labor on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by alybeans
Does anyone have any experiance with the Beverly Birth Center??? I'm thinking of going there next time and just thought I'd ask while we were talking about it. I'm in Melrose and went to Winchester Hospital with Aly which wasn't horrible but I want to go totally natural next time. I'd love to go to Cambridge but I'm afraid DH will protest as we could potentially get stuck in traffic trying to get there (he's such a man Sorry to intrude on your post.
#11 of 11 Old 08-09-2005, 10:05 AM

Hi -- I had a fabulous, fabulous midwife at Harvard Vanguard in Cambridge. Her name is Helen Dajer (sp?) and she was part of the midwives group at Brigham and Women's hospital. I didn't wind up giving birth with her, but the midwife from the group was just amazing as well (her name was Bitty, I don't recall her last name unfortunately).

I got *exactly* the birth I wanted. Unmedicated, not so much as an IV. Never even saw an OB at the hospital. If you are interested in natural childbirth but would prefer a hospital setting just in case you or the baby need medical intervention, the Brigham is a GREAT way to go and that midwife group is great. I saw 3-4 of them during my stay there and and I liked all of them.

BTW this is my first post on mothering.com!

chinaKat

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page