midwives/VBAC in Medford OR area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2005, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We may be moving to the Medford area and I was wondering if anyone has info about good midwives, specifically for hospital birth and VBAC. Also interested in any info about VBAC "policies" at the hospitals there.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 07:33 PM

Gook luck finding a hospital midwife in this area who will do vbac...the policies just changed recently. Sorry. You might try 3 Rivers hospital in Grants Pass...but I don't think that any of the Medford hospitals will do a vbac anymore...maybe Ashland. I know of some great homebirth midwives, who will do vbacs. PM me if you want names.

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

Old 02-15-2005, 07:39 PM

I don't think any OR hospitals do VBACs any more. There is one hospital near me in Salem and they are mostly a midwife practice and they just stopped all VBACs.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:30 AM

I'm in Corvallis and I remember reading about this last year - here is what was in our local paper - hth

Good Sam updates C-section policy

By THERESA HOGUE
Gazette-Times reporter

Area women who have had previous Cesarean sections and want to deliver their next baby vaginally will have to promise not to sue Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center if something goes wrong, or else will have to choose another hospital if they want to proceed with a vaginal birth. That decision was made Saturday by hospital administration in response to concerns of potential lawsuits.

However, hospital obstetricians and administrators are hopeful that within the next six months, additional anesthesiologists might be hired to staff the hospital during such births, thus allowing Good Samaritan to meet the recommendation of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG).

Following an emotional meeting last week between administrators, obstetricians and community members, the hospital is pursuing the possibility of increasing the number of anesthesiologists on staff, said Dr. Linda Fox, an obstetrician with Samaritan Health.

The anesthesiologists would be needed in case a vaginal birth goes wrong, or an emergency Cesarean is needed. There is an increased chance of uterine rupture in women who have previously had C-sections and choose to have vaginal births, although that risk is fairly minimal. There have been no bad outcomes for women who chose a vaginal birth following a Cesarean section (VBAC) at Good Samaritan, Fox said.

But in other parts of the country, patients have won multi-million dollar lawsuits against hospitals due to VBAC complications. Good Samaritan's malpractice insurance carrier had urged administrators to either halt VBACs or more closely follow ACOG standards if they continue to offer women the option.

For now, Fox said, women who want to have a VBAC must sign a "refusal form," which essentially protects the hospital from a lawsuit, or transfer to another hospital. So far, the issue hasn't come up. Fox said the hospital typically performs around 45 VBACs a year.

Fox hopes that a solution will be arranged soon, so women will have the choice and not have to go elsewhere.

"We're optimistic we're going to get it worked out," Fox said.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow. Thanks everyone, this is good to know. We ended up deciding against taking the position so won't be moving to OR now or in the foreseeable future. I can't believe this (hospitals "banning" VBACs) is happening in so many places.... it is so sad.

User Tag List