Anyone in Portland give birth at Providence Portland hospital' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2005, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good experiences? Bad experiences? Things to watch out for?

Still not sure about hospital birth (due to insurance coverage/lack of cash for midwife)...but it would help to hear from people who gave birth there.

The OB is Maxine Bauer.

Thanks!!!!!

Adrienne
baby #1 due 8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 10:52 PM

NAK

Hi Adrienne. I gave birth there amost 6 years ago and have attended quite a few as a doula there. If I had to pick a hospital (2nd was at home), it would be Providence PDX. The nurses are nice, the rooms are roomy () Nurses are all trained in breastfeeding and they have an IBCLC. They have laboring tub but no waterbirth. They were OK with me the doula attending a clients c-section. You don't have to switch rooms. It is a smaller hospital with lots of personal attention.

that said, they are a hospital and require monitoring and they use to very pushy about hep-locks. I have not worked with that doctor, but the CNMs are good, but don't have a lot of power within the hospital (which I think says something.) I don't know there epidural rates or c-section rates but I think that they better than St. V's which is a natural birth nightmare.

HTH,

V.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:09 PM

I think my sis birthed at providence last Sept (the on Glisan..that you can see right off of 84, isn't that providence? hehe..see how observant I am)

She had a really nice hospital birth as far as they go...had the birthing ball, her own pace, labored in the tub, and had a foot rest thingy too.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian
They were OK with me the doula attending a clients c-section. You don't have to switch rooms. It is a smaller hospital with lots of personal attention.
But only one person is allowed in the OR. I would have loved to have a doula there, especially when my blood pressure dropped (I literally though I was going to die), but of course didn't want DH to miss the birth of his daughter.

Quote:
I don't know there epidural rates or c-section rates but I think that they better than St. V's which is a natural birth nightmare.
The c/b rate is high and rising. They don't publish the stats (at least that's what I was told), but it's approaching 30%. They are not VBAC friendly. I think there's only on practice affiliated with Prov that's doing VBAC, but even that might have changed.

Some nurses are great (Janet, I think used to be a doula), others less so. When I was there with DD1, one nurse kept telling me how much I "needed" an epidural. This in spite of my birthplan and having DH and a doula intervening. I regret not asking for another nurse.

There's a separate menu and kitchen available for the maternity ward. When I was there last July, it wasn't as good as 2001. You've really got to watch the regular food though: colourings, trans-fats and high fructose corn syrup are present in alarming quantity. This was my chief complaint about Prov. I asked what they give people in the cardiac ward and was told that they get the same crap but in smaller quantities. For shame. However, American Dream Pizza is right across the street and delivers to the hospital. They have heart friendly pizza that I'm pretty sure are healthier than the crap from the hospital kitchen. There are menus at the nurses' station.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:50 PM

I had a good experience at Providence. I stayed home as long as I could and got to the hospital fully dilated and ready to push so I had no pressure to get an epi. I did have the external monitor and an IV ready to go just in case. My midwife was Karen Parker Lynn, I think she is at the same practice as Dr. Bauer (Women's Health Today). But Oscar Polo delivered my baby, he was on call and it was too fast for Karen to make it. Dr. Polo was good too.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:05 PM

I had two babies there and both experiences were awesome!

I go to Womens Health Today and have for over 12 years.

Nancy Grant is my ob and I her!

I had no problems with natural birth and the nurses were all very cool. You will always get the one who thinks they "know" what you need and you just have to be assertive or request someone else...they are pretty understanding about that.

They were super accomadating to my whole family and understanding of all my ap requests.

If you have a good relationship with your midwife, she probably has nurses that she prefers and can ask that they attend to you if they are on..mine did and she was great!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:35 AM

Beatgirl does she do normal women's stuff (that is what OB's do right?)....?? I need to find someone for normal care...
Old 03-11-2005, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Cobluegirl....yes, Dr. Grant does the normal GYN stuff, too.

THANKS EVERYONE!!! Your messages made me feel much better about the whole thing. I have also spoken with a couple more doulas this week who have experience there. They were all positive and also had good feedback about my doctor and her partners. Karen Parker Linn sounds awesome! I'm going to schedule my next prenatal app't with her.

I would bet that the c/s rate is way highter than "average". I am an inpatient coder so I read their inpatient charts every day of the week. Most of the ones that I feel are not medically necessary are from INDUCTIONS! I think they are induction happy over there. I saw a bad one today from a "social" induction at 38 weeks.

I am hoping that with a good doctor, a good doula, education and some determination that we will be ok.

I also talked with my doula about what would happen if I decided not to go to the hospital in the end and we worked out a plan for that, too.

Thanks for helping me feel better and chill out a bit, since we still have a long way to go until August. Baby and I appreciate it!!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:23 PM

cobluegirl...yes she does all the regular gyn stuff too...and she is taking new patients! You should give her a try!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:33 PM

Jocelyn where is she located? How do I get a hold of her?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:47 PM

Rachael...her office is located at 5050 NE Hoyt suite 420 or 421 (cant remember, I just know when I walk down the hall) Womens Health Today
Dr Nancy Grant 503-239-6800

Hows the babes?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:57 PM

Thank you! I hate going to the dr..grr..hehe...

The kids are good. How are yours? isn't this weather great!

Hey she is right around the corner from me....that is great...like 7 mins away..hehe
Old 03-11-2005, 05:06 PM

Adrienne...sorry to hijack your thread earlier

I also wanted to tell you that both times I gave birth at Providence, I had an extensive birth plan and they followed it to a T. My doc even had them copy it ahead of time and had it in my file when I checked in to the hospital...I thought that was pretty cool.

What part of town do you live?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:13 PM

i birthed at providence. in hindsight i wish i had a doula. i didn't like the nurse i had when i got there. she would only let me up off the monitors "for 20 mins". i couldn't take it sitting still on that bed so i got the epi at 8 1/2 cms. thankfully the next nurse on shift who was there for the delivery was wonderful

i was happy overall though. i would birth there again. but i will either stick with my OB and have a doula or get a midwife at the office on burnside. none of them are covered on my insurance though (lame) which is the reason i picked an OB. i liked my OB....i just didn't like that he wasn't there when i was asking the nurse to get up and walk around. she also made me get an IV (just in case) which i specifically did not want. but i didn't really care that much about it at the time.

i had heard very good things about support for natural birth at providence. so i think i just had bad luck with the nurse. there's no way i would ever ask for a nurse change....just not in my personality. let alone while i was in labor

i REALLY loved the LC. she saw us 3 times and was extremely helpful.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:24 PM

Hi Adrienne,

I've birthed at Providence Portland and done doula births there as well. I have worked with Maxine Bauer. It's hard for me to share my impressions without knowing what exactly you are seeking. I'm also very familiar with Karen Parker Linn, as she was my midwife with my first birth.

If $ is the only reason you're considering hospital birth over homebirth, there are some cheaper options... There is an excellent midwife nearby who only charges about 500.00 for births (including prenatal care), but she only takes a very limited number of clients because she's always busy researching and speaking at midwifery conferences.

Let me know if more info is desired on either count above. I wish you the best!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Beatgirl: I live SE near 67th in the Foster/Powell area. It's just a few minutes drive to the hospital on back roads. You?

Tmarina:
I would love to know what you think about Maxine Bauer. I have only had one appointment with her, which was fine. But still just waiting to get to know her better to decide how much I really trust her. Anything specific to watch out for?

I would also like to know which midwife delivers for $500. I met with one other that was $3000.

The problem with $ is that my maternity leave will be unpaid, so we have to save to cover bills for that time as well as pay for the birth. I don't want to have a homebirth at the expense of being home with the baby.

Feel free to post or PM anything. I don't really have specific questions, so any info or anecdotes would be helpful.

Thanks--
Adrienne
expecting first baby 8/10
Old 03-16-2005, 08:40 PM

It's hard for me to share my impressions because my birth beliefs and standards may be very different from yours. I wouldn't want to create problems where there are none or fail to tell you something that is important to you but was not to me. I would not be able to share my impressions of Maxine Bauer without saying that she does practice as an obstetrician and my own very strong feeling is that obstetrics is not an evidence based practice. While I do believe she will uphold your birth plan as long as all is going well, I don't believe that her perception of "all going well" is going to be wide enough in scope. The only specific thing that I would urge is for you to be really specific with her ahead of time if you want to have undirected pushing or push in positions that you choose - then get it in your birth plan and make sure the nurses are aware of your plans before you get to the point that you are pushing. I think that would be important with anyone above.

That said, if I absolutely HAD to have a hospital birth because of a specific medical issue, I might look into using her. I'd hope to get to know her a lot better. Although if that hypothetical specific medical issue did not need to be addressed by an OB, I would use Karen Parker Linn, but if I were you, I would be very open with her about your wishes for homebirth so that she knows where to meet you (mentally). I think she's gotten a little used to meeting people on a more mainstream level and you have to make an effort to draw the old homebirth midwife (she was one for years) out of her. All that said, any time you use this practice (as well as many others), you should be prepared to have anyone at the practice at your birth as they rotate being on-call. So you really have to look at all of them when you're making your decision.

And I'm pm'ing you about the homebirth midwife.

I hope this is helpful and is sort of what you are looking for.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:39 PM

I was hospitalized twice at St. Vincents during my pg. The first time, I was on the maternity floor, and everything was great. The second time, I was in maternity "overflow" and it was a nightmare. I swore I would never go back and so I ended up delivering at OHSU which wasn't great. So, glad to see the high recc's for Providence Portland.

Emily
Old 03-22-2005, 02:37 PM

I birthed at Providence last August. I did have EFM for about five minutes. Then the nurse came in and told me I could stop. All the nurses I had were wonderful. They were nice and supported my decisions. Except the doctor was pushy about a hep-lock. They wanted to do a routine one when I came in. I declined it, and they were okay with that then. When I was in transition I had to sign an AMA form(aginst medical advice). I managed to postpone it until five minutes before my dd's birth. A lot of use it did then. I had a tub in my room and spent a good portion of my labor in there. They had a birth ball for me to use after I got out of the tub. They have CD players in all the rooms but we didn't use ours. My doctor was David Sargent, but Sharon Wong ended up delivering me. I really liked her. I was pleased to hear her talking about the natural alignment plateau. Providence's C/S rate is high. When we did a tour the nurse told us that because they don't do VBACs anymore their rate is 30%. It was kind of difficult to schedule a tour. They want people to use their virtual tour online, but that didn't answer our questions. Providence does have cord blood donation through the red cross. The lady from the red cross was the only person there without a good bedside manner. I was in transition, sitting on my birth ball buck naked and she was asking me if I'd been to Europe lately during my contractions. My dh tried to get her to shut up but she wouldn't.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07

User Tag List