Homefirst... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-10-2005, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I read back through some of the messages about HF before posting, but couldn't access some of the older articles. I visited Homefirst for a "Meet and Greet" this week and have some questions and concerns about the experience.

My primary concern is in the event of emergency transfer I would be taken to hospital other than my own. This is a HUGE concern because in the event of an emergency, I don't want time lost travelling 45 minutes (versus 5) to a hospital. (They advertise staff privileges at our local hospital which seems misleading). I had a couple more red flags, but that one is the biggie.

If anyone has any information or comments, would you please share with me (here or PM)?

TIA
#2 of 10 Old 03-10-2005, 02:26 PM

It depends where you live. I am in the western suburbs and the hospital they have privilages is at some obscure northside hospital. Thats a major red flag and they have an office right around here.

My friend/neighbor used them as well as a cousin and both had to go to the hospital for emergency c sections.

My cousin used them for her 2nd child and she said her husband the paramedic had more knowledge then the midwife. For the 3rd baby, it was breach and she thankfully got to the hospital to deliver c section with whomever happened to be on duty. Since the home1st people have no privilages at any hospitals here (at least 5) she was on her own with a stranger Dr she did not know.

My friend used them for her 2nd birth and she had complications and called 911 to get her to the hospital a few minutes away. Again she had a Dr she did not know and the home1st people were not there again for privilages.

I cannot do a homebirth since I had a high risk pregnancy last time so they would not work with me, not that I would want them to. I have also heard form various people that they are very wishy washy and hard to work with.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#3 of 10 Old 03-10-2005, 02:37 PM

We are using them. We also live out in the western suburbs and there is no way we would go all the way to the hospital that they have priviledges at. So my understanding is that in the event of a transfer, we will go to the local hospital and they will not have privilages. So we will get whatever doctor is on staff at the local hospital.

This is risk my DH and I were willing to take. We feel confident in our abilities to homebirth and feel the chances of a transfer are low.
#4 of 10 Old 03-10-2005, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hi again,

Thanks to you both for taking the time to respond. I would like to clarify why this concerns us. My current OB/GYN is on staff at my local hospital so being transferred would only put us in the same position we would be in if I stayed where I am currently. The sticky part comes in if we left their practice to go to Homefirst and then needed a transfer back to that hospital. I don't want to ruffle feathers knowing that is where I would be transferred (and where all my family's emergency care would be in the future).

I appreciate hearing your experiences very much. I have much to think about it.

Thanks,
Margaret
#5 of 10 Old 03-10-2005, 04:46 PM

I wanted to tell you that Homefirst was not our first choice, but for insurance reasons, it was our only choice to do a homebirth. There are some things that bother me about their practice. My POV is no place is perfect.

I can see how you are hesitant due to that issue with your OB/GYN.
#6 of 10 Old 03-12-2005, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hi again,

I agree that nothing is 100% perfect. After Dh and I compared notes on our perceptions of the meeting, we have decided not to go with the practice at this time. The hospital transfer question was just one of many concerns we had. We are not completely set on a hospital birth either and will continue to explore other hb possibilities.

Thanks everyone,
Margaret
#7 of 10 Old 03-12-2005, 09:41 AM

Check out www.birthlink.com. I dont know if you have found that yet, although it is a great list.

darkstar
#8 of 10 Old 03-12-2005, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hi darkstar,

Thanks for the link! I just emailed several practitioners for various services. Hopefully one of them is available and will accept me. Crossing fingers and toes. :-)

Thanks again,
Margaret
#9 of 10 Old 03-12-2005, 08:23 PM

Your welcome. I was sure glad to find that site.

darkstar
#10 of 10 Old 03-15-2005, 08:36 PM

There is no one hospital where all Drs. are on staff anymore. Lincoln Park Hospital no longer has a labor and delivery unit. I was told, that in case of emergency I'd go to the nearest hospital, if not an emergency I'd transfer to the hospital approved by my HMO. LMK if you've heard something else in the last couple of weeks! (Although I really dson't anticipate tranfering)

I'd call the buisness office and check before you rule them out just for that reason. That said, I'd probably have gone with a midwife myself if my insurance would've paid for it, although I'm totally satisfied with my care up to this point.

You can PM me in a couple of weeks to find out about my birth if you want!

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page