Child-friendly communal home starting in SC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-23-2005, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a 37 year old single mom to an almost 3 year old, and we have found out about a communal home starting in the next month or two. There's a good chance we're going to join, and I wanted to put it out to others.

It's an 11 bedroom, 6 bathroom, huge, sunny house in a great neighborhood, walking distance to the beach, Neary's Lagoon, parks, New Leaf, the Farmer's Market, Trader Joe's and more. It's on California, between Laurel and Walnut, near the high school.

The house was just bought by a couple and their 5 and 8 year old daughters. Their good friend, a really cool woman in her 50s, will be living in a detached bedroom, and there are 2 two bedroom suites, each with a private bathroom still available (we'll probably take one), and a single room with its own bathroom. The rents are reasonable.

They are looking to create a supportive, communicative, respectful, healthy, grounded, child-friendly home, with each person cooking a dinner once a week, and monthly house meetings. There's tons of space, great if you're needing privacy as well as connection.

It's a smoke-free, drug-free home, and although the couple are vegetarian, it is not a strictly vegetarian home. They're also very clear about not wanting marijuana smoked in the house, as well as not having blaring music or lots of loud tv in peoples' rooms.

We really want to move in, but are having a dilemma. The suite that we can afford, and that gets a lot of sun, has two really little bedrooms, and I'm worried it won't be enough space for us. The other suite has it's own hallway with a door, 2 big bedrooms and a big bathroom with a tub, but is out of our price range, and is also on the shady side of the house. I'm trying to see if I can find someone that would be open to sharing both suites with us: each party getting one small, sunny room, and one big, dark room. I don't know if it can work, but I really want it to, because I really want to be a part of this community.

My daughter is really social, and would love to live with other kids, and I would love to get 6 dinners a week without cooking! I'm also just longing for more connection in my home, less isolation and a chance to give and receive support from other adults (and help each other with childcare, etc.)

If you're interested, email me at mayagproa@aol.com and I'll give you my phone number, and we can chat.

Geoffa

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page