Mothering Forum banner

Avid Horror Movie Fans Thread

5K views 201 replies 42 participants last post by  MadWorldSonnet 
#1 ·
With I as your president and Nox as your Vice President, we welcome ALL of those who mingle in the macabre, thrive on thrills, crave creepy, are giddy over gore, and just basically have to have horror!

:

So, what makes your hair stand up? Favorite horror movies, books, personal stories of spookiness?

How did you get into this?

Any remakes or originals you hated?

Halloween one of your favorite holidays??

We'd love to hear from you!

To answer my own questions: I loved Dawn of the Dead remake (sick humor+ horror=Me in all my Glory!), American Werewolf in London (see previous parenthesis!), as I kid I grew up on RL Stine and "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" (I believe it was Schwartz that wrote/edited these?).

I think my own house I lived in was haunted.

I HATED House on Haunted Hill, the Grudge was lacking in plot and ending, and as someone who has been addicted to Freddy Kreuger and Jason since age 5 or so, FREDDY VS. JASON WAS AWFUL.

Halloween rocks (tho not my fave), and DS's costume is ALWAYS hand made, no generic werewolves or frankensteins here!

Okay, well, hope to hear from you all....

Mmmmwwaaahh haa haaaaaa!

Spookily Yours,
Kelly

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been kind of hooked on japanese horror movies lately. Uzumaki..Ringu... Ju-on..They are waaaaaay creepier than American horror films. Less "gory" just... creepy.

My favorite classic horror movie is Rose Red.

I wish that they would come out with a GOOD vampire horror (dracula and interview aren't really horror..) movie..I love vampires.. but I can't possibly sit through something idiotic like "Dracula 2000" :LOL

#3 ·
Wow, never thought I'd see this thread here. :LOL I'm a huge horror fan and study the paranormal as a hobby.

Some of my fave movies: The Changeling, The Haunting (ORIGINAL version), Dead Alive/Braindead, Evil Dead series, The Thing, Alien and Aliens, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Phantasm, Jack Frost (really dumb but hilarious horror-comedy), Scream... as you can see I watch way too much TV.

I also have a website about ghosts here: http://www.ghosts.org/

#4 ·
we love horror flicks over here

B-rate or below typically gets ***** from us...
mainstream horror it depends on the movie
seems movies these days are all about cheap thrills, not about HORROR, ya know?

I did
Shaun of the Dead though

I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to wet myself AND wake the kids up

and no, I will NEVER live on Elm st..... How sad is that? :LOL

#6 ·
Hey, I like horror movies too! Not especially good ones, I've been told, but I like them. I wasn't allowed to watch them at home as a kid (just because my mom didn't want to watch them with us) so there are some that I've missed over the years.

I recently enjoyed The Grudge (hey, Ted Raimi was in it!) and House of a Thousand Corpses which is cool, in a disturbing sort of way (I met a couple of the actors last summer, they were really nice! I'm looking forward to the sequel this summer.) I like the Evil Dead movies too. My current "default movie" (what I put in when cleaning or whatever and can't decide what to watch) is Ghost Ship. I think I like that one mostly for the characters, though.

I'm seeing lots of ads for the remake of Amityville Horror recently. I can't decide if I want to see that or not.

I like vampire movies, too, but don't really consider them horror in most cases. Interview With The Vampire and The Lost Boys are two of my favorites.

A former co-worker of mine wouldn't watch Lord of the Rings because she thought they were horror movies, and nothing I said could convince her otherwise.

Did anyone else not realize the Scream movies were supposed to be scary until the parody Scary Movie came out? I was like "Why are they making a parody of a parody of silly teen horror movies?"

#7 ·
I like horror movies. I cant stand alot of the gore anymore, must be getting old and skittish :LOL but I do still love creepyness.

some youz all have mentioned, like 'the changling' (sorta reminds me of 'the ring' wonder if the dudes that made 'ringu' ever saw it) 'evil dead' ones, shawn of the dead....you know, I admit, I gotta thing for zombie movies. I dont think I have seen one I didnt like. I really loved the 'dead' one where they were in the cremation building, and the cops came and the zombies ate the cops and then got on the c-b and said 'send more cops' :LOL :LOL thats was the funniest, and I dont think a zombie has ever spoken any full words/commands before that or since.
I loved the shopping mall remake. loved loved it....but it was so sad at the end, I cried...when the guy stayed behind....and well, you know.

I cant stand other 'monsters' like werewolfs and vampires and whatever...and I dont like ones that are too real life, like serial killers and just crazy people on a rampage....they just dont grab me. I stick to ghosts, zombies, MAYBE demonic toys sometimes...and misc supernatural stuff. I really like the 'unlikely' heros stuff with one band of people going up against the unstoppable enemy, that type of theme. luckily, its pretty typical, but seems to happen the most with zombie movies.

ghost ship was better than I expected. I still get flashes of that once in awhile. mostly just the beginning and I think of what happened to all of them and think 'that must of sucked' :LOL

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyAngel
: A former co-worker of mine wouldn't watch Lord of the Rings because she thought they were horror movies, and nothing I said could convince her otherwise.

Did anyone else not realize the Scream movies were supposed to be scary until the parody Scary Movie came out? I was like "Why are they making a parody of a parody of silly teen horror movies?"

:

you know aa, i thought the lotr movies were horror movies of a sort cause i was ticked about the absence of tom bombadil, but that has to be the funniest thing ever.

also it's my understanding that the scream series WAS a parody but the scary movie series was some sort of uber parody. which is a touch ridiculous but what are you gonna do?

excellent work kelly! i love horror films good and bad. i haven't seen them all but honestly i'm trying very hard. extra points for bizarre horror + random genre combos.

killer clowns from outer space? you have no idea why you're watching but of course you don't stop. some of my personal faves include:
  • in the mouth of madness
  • hellraiser series
  • nightbreed (less horror and more monsters are people too, but good)
  • serpent and the rainbow
  • evil dead series
  • lost boys
  • demons (which is so bad it's delicious)
  • night of the living dead (romero and remakes)
and the countless teenagers of varying degrees of virtue who decided to visit/exploretheir local cemetary/abandoned funeral home/creepy senior citizen who's more of a night owl/indian burial grounds/unused mental hospital/infested woods/ generic woods.

nisha,
who sometimes thinks that the basement while dusty and fascinating, is definitely not the place to be

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox[*
hellraiser series[*]nightbreed (less horror and more monsters are people too, but good)
I love love Clive barker. the movies are great, the books are wonderful. its a wonderful escape from all the non-fiction/mama/activism books I have to read all the time...lol.

its nice to enjoy a movie from one of your favorite authors and not be po'ed because 'they' ruined it :LOL his movies are usually very entertaining.

if only they would make a movie from 'everville' or 'thief of always'

#10 ·
melmel,

i'm holding out for a movie version of imajica, probably very unlikey and prohibitively expensive but i can dream can't i? i am a huge clive barker fan (i like to call myself a c.b. evangelist), and i agree that the adaptations of his books tend to be something most fans can live with. i even enjoyed lord of illusions, which was slightly butchered.

#11 ·
Dead Alive is my favorite.
"...they're not really dead...they're just sort of...rotting."...lol...

Evil Dead 2 !!!

Reanimator.(although the ending genuinely disturbed me in a not-good-scary way)

I really like the original Night of the Living Dead in a serious way...so cool there was a black hero, for that time. Very progressive....and the ending still surprises me in a way. It's just a superb movie all around....

As far as new horror goes, I really liked 28 Days Later!
I've heard there's a sequel coming out....anyone know if that's true?

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyb
Dead Alive is my favorite.
"...they're not really dead...they're just sort of...rotting."...lol...
"Your mother ate my dog!" "I kick arse for the Lord!" :LOL Love that movie. Have you seen Bad Taste? I love the line "I'm a Derek. Dereks don't run." :LOL And the bowl of puke. :puke Grossest thing ever.

I tend to like horror-comedies the best for watching over and over. Deep Rising and Lake Placid are two more of my faves.

I saw Cabin Fever the other night but wasn't that impressed. It was just okay. It wasn't scary enough to be straight horror but wasn't ridiculous/funny enough to be horror-comedy.

Has anyone seen the movie Below? It's awesome for the first half and then sort of descends into mass mediocrity. Still worth watching, though.

#13 ·
The Thing! ooohh, yes I LOVE that one!

Oh, and the music for that movie, the echoing "BUM BUM.......BUM BUM....."

Here's the screen play if anyone wants to check it out:
http://www.4english.cn/movies/scripts/thing_1982.htm

Kellyb: I heard the same about the 28 days later sequel, but I'm not 100% sure. Hope so though.

Anyone remember those horribly, awfully delightful D list horror movies they used to play on "USA UP all night" or whatever channels they used to be on? I'm talking movies with names like "Slugs" or "Bees" or "ants", wherein the mentioned animals or critters multiply or mutate and attack humans. Or the "horror" about giant killer tomatoes (I think that may have been the title).

Oooh--And how about THE BLOB both the original and the remake (singing "beware of the blob...it creeps, and leaps, and glides and slides....)
LOL, this is hilarious, check out this link, and click on the "mp3 snipet" link, you'll LOVE it! http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/0..._procrast.html

And of course, Steven King's Silver Bullet....

Good Stuff....

#14 ·
Oh, yeah..."Attack of the killer Tomatoes"...
Classic.

Did any of you ever see the Stepford Children?
Not the Stepford Wives....the, I think, made for TV sequal?
For some reason, that is the one and only horror movie that has ever really scared me.
I was in my room watching TV in the middle of the night when I was about 8 when it came on...something about that movie scared the crap out of me.

Oh...and a must see if you've never seen it...there's a subtitled, French, puppet movie reinacting the MarQuis De Sade...
It is absolutely the most bizarre, and I mean truely, deeply weird movie that I've ever seen...

#15 ·
Cookiemonster, it's so funny that you mention USA Up All Night because I was thinking abou that the other night. I remember the host Rhonda with the gi-normous jubblies. I remember a movie called "Satan's Cheerleaders," LOL!

Some of my faves:
~ The Changeling - the spooky old wheelchair creeped me out!
~ The first 2 Amityville movies
~ Most anything by Tobe Hooper - The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Poltergeist, and (my fave) Funhouse!
~ The Omen

Hmm...I'm sure more will come to me.

Someone mentioned Killer Klowns and I HIGHLY recommend that movie - it's laugh out loud fabulous!

#17 ·
I totally forgot about USA *UP* All Night (I can't even type it without emphasis on the up :LOL )

ahhh

the good old days.....

I have always loved Full Moon movies...
well, the good bad ones at least. At some point they seemed to go off the deep end on the gratutitous sex scenes...
But I really liked The Pit and the Pendulum, Puppet Master and the billion sequels...
and Trancers...

omg...and what about Dr. Giggles *eww*

#18 ·
or at least that's what i hear. 28 days later is being followed by 28 weeks later. i thought 28 days was interesting (however i love the newscast in shaun of the dead where they debunk the rumor that the zed word outbreak was started by rage infested monkeys as total crap) but not at ALL scary. i thought it was cheerful by comparison to the new dawn of the dead. even though i think they BOTH cheated by making the zombies triathletes (wtf?).

did anybody else love the prom night movies? chiffon just brings out the worst in people doesn't it? jamie lee is one of horror's great queens.

dr. giggles was pretty bad but good fun. i'm really surprised that no one's mentioned these but the phantasm movies, i've seen them, but i'm not exactly sure that i know what the hell they're about. any thoughts on that? i may just have to rewatch them.

also i watched a low budget wes craven affiliated project, 'they'. has anyone else seen this? and if so do you want those minutes of your life back too?

oh and kelly (cmm), i can not believe i neglected to bond with you over rl stine (and i'm assuming christopher pike also?) !!! i had the urge to pick one of those up over break to see if 'weekend' had lost any of its charm :LOL seriously i'm sure i read ALL of these any in hindsight i have no idea why.

nisha

#19 ·
Nisha,

Hehehe, yes, christopher pike too! But RL was the man, man! (It began with Goosebumps when I was younger, then I progressed to the Fear Street Saga!....the amulet was one...forget the rest--I think there were 3 or 4)

Dr Giggles creeped me the hell out! I have dentist issue to begin with and that movie sure did not help!

And yes to the poster that mentioned the Omen! Just the creepy choir music is enough to give me chills!

Kelly

#20 ·
Honey, I'm home! :LOL

I LOVE horror movies!!! Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I'll spare you the full list

My brother and I spent an entire summer doing nothing but watching every single movie, in alphabetical order, from the Blockbuster horror section. This was possible, because I worked at Blockbuster and got the rentals for free :LOL

There was also a smaller video store in our town that went under, that sold a TON of -B horror flicks that same summer. I think our favorite was Darkness, which had a total non-plot about a vampire, and culminated in some dude melting as the sun came up. The melting scene was awesome

My brother went on to major in media arts in college, and hopes to be a director of fine horror films one day. I went on to be an office manager, who watches whatever movies my brother brings to my attention.

Right now, we're waiting for me to deliver my baby before we continue our quest to find the perfect horror movie, because for some reason, since I've been pregnant, I can't even watch old favorites without getting squeamish. I'm dying to see SAW, and that's at the top of the post-partum rental list! :LOL

Christopher Pike has been my favorite author forEVER!
I had a book by him called "Fall into Darkness" that creeped the living crap out of me; mostly because my name is Sharon-anne and the book was about a girl named Sharon and a girl named Anne. :LOL

So, anyway, some recommendations that I don't think have been mentioned yet; The Dentist (gross gross gross!); Zombie; Thir13en Ghosts (I know, very mainstream, but it's freaking creepy nonetheless).

I have tons more, but my pg brain is drawing a blank! I'll be back!!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NOX
i thought it was cheerful by comparison to the new dawn of the dead. even though i think they BOTH cheated by making the zombies triathletes (wtf?).

One of my favorite things about the Dawn and Day of the Deads was how pitiful the zombies were...how the main characters could just brush them aside...
So, yeah...fast zombies is definitely cheating. They already outnumber you a hundred to one, yk?
:nana: hehehe..."BRAINS!!!" smilie...lol...

#23 ·
i would like to announce that i think ghost ship, a generally mediocre movie should get extra points for killng a massive amount of people at once in a relatively creative way.

and i'm thinking about renting any of the 18 children of the corn sequels can anyone supply a review?

has anyone seen constantine btw? i don't know that it counts exactly as horror but it has posession and the devil makes an appearance so...close enough.

nisha

#24 ·
well, according to cookiemonstermommy I'm not an avid fan because I couldn't handle The Ring :LOL but, I did love it because it scared me!
I don't like "horror" flicks that don't scare me.
Dead Alive is a great one

one of the best, and creepiest is Killer Clowns from Outerspace

I'll be back when I can think of more!

#25 ·
Back to American Werewolf in London...

Did you all know there's a "Slaughtered Lamb" pub in NYC that I totally wanna go to (from what I heard, its even got a lifelike werewolf biting a woman in the upper level. Interesting, though I don't think I'll be taking DS with me
)

I just thought of something--we should totally hold our annual meeting there!

Kelly

#26 ·
Gotta have horror here! Does anyone remember the movie called The Brood? OMG, still creeps me out. My older sister took my cousin and I to see it at a drive in (yep, a drive in) when we were about 14. It was playing w/a movie called Legacy (?) of which I remember bits and peices. Anywho, the Brood is frrreaky! Stars Jo Beth Williams. You'll never look at day crare the same. :LOL

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.