Oahu military mamas: need an AP friendly military doctor - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 03-31-2005, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know someone who is looking for a military pediatrician or possibly family practitioner who is AP friendly. Her husband will be stationed at Pearl Harbor so I assume there or Makalapa would be closest. If not, maybe Tripler? I have a civilian pediatrician that I can recommend but she's not sure if she can see a civilian and he's in Kailua and he's not all that great, just tolerant. I also know of one pediatrician here at K-Bay who is supposed to be more natural oriented. I've never seen her, though, so I'm not sure how AP friendly she is. Any recommendations for or against military would be greatly appreciated. If you can't post specific recommendations here, please PM me. TIA

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-31-2005, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love, love, love our ped Dr. Hanson. He is on Hickam. He told me he is moving soon to Turkey though. He is totally cool with all my parenting choices, he even got excited over Bethany's cloth diaper yesterday and asked me for websites and if any stores here sell them.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#3 of 17 Old 03-31-2005, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, Brandi. Thanks. I'll pass that name on. Just out of curiosity, are the drs. at Hickam Airforce or are they Navy or Army. The Marine Corps doesn't have it's own doctors so we have Navy docs here.

Oh, and do you know how Dr. Hanson feels about not vaxing, co-sleeping and breastfeeding.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#4 of 17 Old 03-31-2005, 11:48 PM

They are Air Force. He is very supportive of breastfeeding, when I was having trouble with Bethany and my supply he was very supportive, he didn't automatically push for supplementation. Vaxing-I delay vax and he knows and is cool with it-I don't think he prefers it but he doesn't say anything negative to me about it either. For instance yesterday he looked at her chart, said oh she needs whatever dose of this vaccine (she's about two doses behind on most) and that was it. Now, in the immunization office it was a different story, they threw a fit. Anyway... I don't know about co-sleeping, we don't do it but if we did it wouldn't be something I'd tell him as I don't feel it's a doctors business.

#5 of 17 Old 04-01-2005, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

What did the immunization office people do? I've never had to deal with them here. On the co-sleeping, we do and I'm the same as you. It's not something I would share with my doc because it's not a medical issue. However, the last time I saw Ethan's ped for a check up (when he was 6 months old) the doc asked me how he was sleeping at night. Without even thinking I told the truth, that he stilled nursed every cvouple hours. The doc then asked if he was in our room. I said yes but did not tellhim he was in our bed. The doc told me to just put a partition up because he didn't need to nurse at night. He was just checking to make sure we were still there. I was upset that he would offer advice like that when I hadn't asked and was not concerned.

#6 of 17 Old 04-01-2005, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gesh! some people! I get soooo frustrated with doctors throwing out advice.
I am in no way jumping for joy about Tripler, but since I am assertive about what care I want from them, it has been okay.
I am Navy, but opted for Family Practice with Dr. Lynch. He is supportive of a lot of my choices, and respectful of even what he does not agree with. At Katies 6 month the safety check list came up, he was asking about how we child proofed our house, and asked about her sleeping area, I said she slept with us, he asked if I had looked into the possible risks and if I wanted more information, I told him I did not need additional information, and he was fine it, I think it just had to be said that he warned me I might sufficate Katie
Anyway! That is what we are using... the kid who does Vax in family practice is really nice, but obviously we do Vax, but he is really great about answering all my questions and concerns and working with the sceduale I wanted.
I am not going to get into Tripler horror stories again, so good luck, and I will as always be on the look out for someone I like to doctor Katie if she ever needs it. I guess a lot of people like Dr. Lynch, as he is hard to get an appointment with I noticed.
ANYWAY!
Luck to you
#7 of 17 Old 04-01-2005, 06:47 PM

Alysia-the tech in the office looked up her records and had fit saying she needed to get like 10 shots! I think she wanted to give them to her all at once. She made me go back down to the peds office and get her medical records because she was sure the computer was wrong. Anyway, another guy (much older and understanding) ended up taking over. But, that girl sat in the room the whole time while they were giving her the shots just fuming. I don't understand why she was so damned upset, it's none of her business.

#8 of 17 Old 04-03-2005, 08:41 PM

Does anyone know anything about Dr. Shirley's (@ Hickam) views? I'm calling on Monday for Marsha's 9 month WBC and that is who we're assigned to.

Thanks!

I'm Cara ... Veterinary Technician in training and Mama to M since July 2004, the 4 Love Cats , a bunch of freshies , Baby the U2 , and Wife to J (Active Duty Air Force) since Feb 1998
#9 of 17 Old 04-03-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycarrot
Does anyone know anything about Dr. Shirley's (@ Hickam) views? I'm calling on Monday for Marsha's 9 month WBC and that is who we're assigned to.

Thanks!
I don't know anything about this doctor but can't you select your pcm rather than having a stranger select someone at random?

#10 of 17 Old 04-04-2005, 05:21 AM

I love my doctor at Tripler but like all good doctors, he is leaving soon. He's an osteopath...maybe have your friend ask if there is an osteopath to be seen?
#11 of 17 Old 04-04-2005, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaLava
like all good doctors, he is leaving soon.
I know exactly what you mean. I loved the OB I saw at Tripler but he's gone now. Of course, he wasn't working in L&D when I had my baby either, which really sucked.

This woman is looking for a doc for her baby/children. Can you take your baby/children to an osteopath at Tripler?

#12 of 17 Old 04-04-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife
This woman is looking for a doc for her baby/children. Can you take your baby/children to an osteopath at Tripler?

We do. I live in Wahiawa and I use Tripler's Family Practice as my care facility. HTH
#13 of 17 Old 04-04-2005, 05:45 PM

You can select your PCM at Hickam. I changed mine and my kids' recently. We haven't seen our new ones yet. I'm still thinking about switching the kids up to Tripler. I haven't heard much good about the Peds clinic here and it is difficult to get into Family Practice sometimes. I'd much prefer us to have the same doctor, but I'm going to see how this works out first. I had a PA in Family Practice that I liked a lot for the kids but she made me soooo mad when I went to see her. She basically refused to treat me because I was breastfeeding. I had a severe ear infection which was causing me unbelievable pain (I ended up having surgery on it) and she refused to give me antibiotics or pain killers unless I said I'd pump and dump. I liked that she didn't give me crap about immunizing the kids, but I don't trust her anymore.
#14 of 17 Old 04-04-2005, 06:55 PM

I don't know, actually. I will ask when I call.

I'm Cara ... Veterinary Technician in training and Mama to M since July 2004, the 4 Love Cats , a bunch of freshies , Baby the U2 , and Wife to J (Active Duty Air Force) since Feb 1998
#15 of 17 Old 04-04-2005, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaLava
We do. I live in Wahiawa and I use Tripler's Family Practice as my care facility. HTH
I don't know how the family practice there works. I didn't realize that osteopaths worked in FP clinics. I assumed that all the doctors at the FP clinic were famili practitioners.

#16 of 17 Old 04-05-2005, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife
I don't know how the family practice there works. I didn't realize that osteopaths worked in FP clinics. I assumed that all the doctors at the FP clinic were famili practitioners.

I am not sure how it works either. I had heard so many great things about him from an aquaintance that I chose him based on that alone. I didn't know he was an osteopath until he told me. I asked him who he would suggest we see once he leaves and he said there was another osteopath (or two) that worked in Family Practice. HTH
#17 of 17 Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 AM

Majorly late here (LOL), but I use Dr. Smiley at Schofield's Family Practice and she's really tolerant about all my AP choices. I switched to her after have a major problem with another dr here.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page