White mamas with black babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2005, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am interested in sharing experience with other moms (And Dads too!) raising children of another race. In my case that means black, but I'd love to hear from families of children of any race.
My youngest ds came to us through the miracle of adoption. He is only 7 months, but I know it will only seem a short time before he is curious about the differences between us. Of course we get all kinds of comments when we are out. Fortunately all positive since we live in a very accepting area.
Tell me your joys too of having this window into a world other than the "white world" we coast through so easily.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 01:46 PM

I do not as of now have children of another race (well ds1 is part native american, black frnch creo, and hispanic...but not enough to make him look very different from the rest of us yet) I do plan on adopting through foster care and am very open to adopt any race. In my area black boys seem to be in the greatest need of homes.

Dh is totally fine with this as well as my children. I have been looking into trans racial families and learning as much as I can about raising children of another race.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 05-10-2005, 11:15 PM

Hello!

Nice thread and congratulations on the adoption of your son!!!

My husband is black (from Martinique) so our children are in between. I'm not sure if you were only looking for adoptive mommies? In any case I'm a white mama with black children

And most people where I live think they're adopted since there are VERY few black people here.

We don't get really bad comments just questions out of curiosity, but my son asks me a lot of questions.

The really fun part is how your son will grow up to believe that friendship and love between people of different races is not only possible but normal!
Old 05-15-2005, 03:46 AM

my babes are half black does that count?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for replying--all of you! Yes, I am looking for other moms with children of different race no matter how they came to you. I am just interested in learning about how we all experience life with our kids who don't "match" our skin color.
I have mostly experienced being a novelty. People always turn a stare at us. We get all the pretty baby comments. More than I think we would get if I was black or Gabe was white. I especially love the confused looks when he is nursing!! :LOL Of course he is absolutely beautiful and deserves every oooh and ahhh he gets!
I must say there has been a bit to learn such as taking care of his hair (I have hair so straight it won't perm!) but so far it has been just so easy. Then I read books and articles about adoption and they all seem to prepare me for misery and sorrow in the teen years.
I have the momma worries about just raising a boy, but I seem to get told from all sides that life is going to be so much harder for all of us just because he is black. Do you mommas feel the same way. Have any of you experienced the later childhood and teen years and can offer words of wisdom? Part of me says it will all go just fine cuz he is so sweet and mellow. Part of me says "what the heck have you done?!" and I wonder if I will be ready for all the challenges that come our way.

baby's done playing

Sarah

User Tag List