MJ Mama's and Papa's June Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are the MJ Mamas and Papas. Our purpose is to talk, educate, inform and share information regarding the use of marijuana. Marijuana has many medicinal uses that the government has tried very hard to keep from us. Some people think that it is medically useful and less harmful than prescription medicines, that we are spending too much money on the war on drugs (especially marijuana), and that there are better things on which our government could be spending this money. Hemp, which has many wonderful non-medicinal uses, is also illegal in this country, and we are open to discussing this as well. We promote the use of this wonderful medicinal herb for morning sickness, glaucoma, cancer, AIDS, spiritual, etc., keeping in mind that it is important to use all things in harmony with yourself and others.

As this is a public forum and may be viewed by anyone with internet access, please be careful what you post about using. Everyone has different comfort levels and we wouldn't want to discourage anyone from joining us. So... please talk, act, and use responsibly. Welcome to our forum, newcomers, and enjoy!

Here is a list of links that we like:
http://www.jackherer.com/
http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?
http://www.pottv.com/
http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/mj007.htm
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...can-babies.htm
#2 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 11:12 AM

subscribing

namaste.gif

#3 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 AM

The mothering.com link wouldn't open for me

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#4 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 11:18 AM

try this one:
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...marijuana.html

maybe I copied something incorrectly the first time. if this one works, maybe norcal can edit her post.

namaste.gif

#5 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 11:25 AM

That came out great guys!!!!!
Thanks to everyone who worked on it.....sure sounds good!!!!!

For some reason it is hard for me to believe it is June of 2005 already....does life just fly by or what!!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well and having a great day

ETA Welcome to the new folks that joined us on the last thread....And thank you to whoever pointed out that caffine is WAY more dangerous than marijuana. People will indulge in several cups of coffee, some coke a cola annd not bat an eye...they even give their kids the stuff...but mention marijuana and their head about pops off :

Edited again to say...mamaroni, your link works this time...we just need to get that one onto norcal's first post
#6 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
subscribing

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#7 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I tried repasting the link on and if you look at it it is the exact same letters etc. I don't know why it works in the other post, but not mine. Also I'd like to add more links, but I didn't want to scroll through all of the pages of all the past 5 or so threads, so if any of you know them, please post them, and I'll try to put it in the original post. I'd like to see the grasscity on there too.
#8 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 02:29 PM

just subscribing for now
i gotta run

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
#9 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, mamaroni, I'm interested in hearing an update on your friend that you got to try MJ for hyperemesis. Is it still working for her? Is she even still using it? How often works for her?
#10 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Mama
Hey, mamaroni, I'm interested in hearing an update on your friend that you got to try MJ for hyperemesis. Is it still working for her? Is she even still using it? How often works for her?
well, it seems that her dh is really really opposed to it, so she hasn't tried it other than that first day when I was there. She does seem to be getting better, so that her symptoms are as grave as they were, otherwise I think she would still be using it. I keep dropping hints though!

I have the grass city link handy:
http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?
here's another one I had bookmarked from one of our earlier threads too: http://www.pottv.com/

namaste.gif

#11 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Hey now! nak and subscribing.... love the intro!
#12 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 08:18 PM

Thanks NorCal for starting this months thread. You know I was thinking that if our thread was refered to as the pro hemp tribe, alot more people would look. I think becuase there are so many hemp diapering mamas here. Just a thought.

I will post some more links later, but I wanted to let everyone know that I am STILL PREGNANT!! Hopefully soon this baby will come

darkstar
#13 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 09:10 PM

I'm still around....just kinda lurking for now though.

Christina:~Student mama to Collyn(13), Haylea-Ann (9):, and Natalie (8) , and SO to Jeff.
#14 of 214 Old 06-01-2005, 09:17 PM

Darkstar, OMG! for you, honey-honey!
Just subscribin'...the intro is fantastic! Rock on!
Peace.
#15 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 10:38 AM

Wow darkstar....hope you are holdin' that baby soon. When was your due date...are you super over due? Hope all is well!

I'm very pro hemp and love to discuss its legalization uses etc...but I think changing the name solely to the hemp mammas and pappas would be misleading. If we changed at all maybe it would be more appropriate to be the Pro Legalization of MJ and Hemp Tribe or something with both of them in the title. I think we could still end up with the flaming thread if we start talking about using MJ in a thread only titled about hemp....maybe not, but for me, I'd hate to destroy the support and overall positivity of this thread KWIM????

#16 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 11:44 AM

Subscribing.
Nice intro.
Welcome to any lurkers
#17 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 01:35 PM

mamaroni that linked worked for me! great article!

more for Darkstar- I bet you're starting to wonder if your due date was way off! Today would be a good day to have the baby- because...

It's my 21st BIRTHDAY!!!

off to celebrate!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#18 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 01:38 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEN!!!!!

hope you have a great day with your family!!!!
#19 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 01:39 PM

Happy birthday Love Child!!!! I hope your 21st birthday is better than mine was (I was 8 months pregnant )

Wow, I had no idea that I was older than you. For some reason I always thought I was the youngest one here. ( I don't know why I thought that, though) I'll only be 22 in July.

for Darkstar! At least you know that you can't be pregnant forever, even if it feels like you are :

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
#20 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 02:05 PM

happy b-day love child! wow, just 21!! shish, bummer you were pg for the 21st. maybe you can make up for it this year?

I think I'm the old lady of the bunch.

and darkstar some more for you.

namaste.gif

#21 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 02:10 PM

Hello..I'm new to this thread, but it's pretty cool!
Question: Does MJ/TCH cross into BM? Are there any links/studies regarding the affects of MJ on BF children? I would assume the smoke is hazardous, just as cigs would be.

Any literature would be helpful!
Thanks.
#22 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 04:20 PM

hey all, I'm still here, just not quite as often!! been rockin' the hell outta' my green boots lately, and thought of all my "kind buds"!! I may have some question for all of you ladies later, not enough time to figure out how word the questions right now.
oh, and here's the link to a study done on mj use w/ pregnancy and bf...
http://www.rism.org/isg/dlp/ganja/an...njaBabyes.html and another...
#23 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 04:35 PM

Hey Crystal. I'm not stalking you, just saw you were on.
#24 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaroni
I think I'm the old lady of the bunch.
Are you sure, mamaroni? I'm twice as old as lovechild....

Jen, may you have a wonderful year of kindness in every respect! :

for darkstar and the baby who's taking his/her own sweet time!
#25 of 214 Old 06-02-2005, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zannalyn
Are you sure, mamaroni? I'm twice as old as lovechild....
alright, well I guess you got me by a few years then (7 to be exact if I'm doing my math correctly)

namaste.gif

#26 of 214 Old 06-03-2005, 12:26 AM

Awesome intro!

I got the info about caffeine from researching online and also from a wonderful book called "The Consumer's guide to Licit and Illicit Drugs" which I ordered from NORML.com for $12 I think.... It was well worth the price and is an excellent addition to any library

What really gets me about caffeine is that parents give it to their kids and then their kids are all hyper and they put them on Ritalin (which is also way more dangerous than MJ and even worse than caffeine... it's more on par with Meth if you want to know the truth : ).

Welcome! kbridi, MJ does pass into BM and the placenta, but no studies have yet linked it to anything bad in the offspring of mothers who smoked it. All the US studies are tainted because there are hardly any people who use MJ who don't use hard drugs like cigs, heroin, coke, etc. At the very least they don't tend to control for cigarette use vs MJ use. The most reliable study that I've found was from Jamaica and they found no difference in the offspring of MJ users compared to non-users. Jamaicans tend to use it in a medicinal/spiritual way rather than recreationally as people do here (in the US). They also tend to use a quite a bit more than any American does

I would say that exposing a baby or child to smoke is wrong, but as long as the mother is responsible, and preferably vaporising, there isn't anything wrong with using while breastfeeding or pregnant.

Most of the studies done on MJ over the years have been grossly misrepresented in the mainstream press.

http://www.jackherer.com/chapter15.html

I also recommend that everyone buy the book "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" if you haven't already It's very, very informative!

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#27 of 214 Old 06-03-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetplaya
All the US studies are tainted because there are hardly any people who use MJ who don't use hard drugs like cigs, heroin, coke, etc.

I know preggo brain so you prolly didn't mean that there are no people who just use MJ and nothing else. I am sure that a lot of us here use only MJ and no other drugs. The problem is when they do studies they just recruit drug users in general and then they don't control for all other drug use.

Also, the biggest problem with studying the effects on children is that it is really hard to tease out parental involvement/better upbringing. For example, I would venture that the child of an MDC MJ mama would perform better on whatever test than the child of a very mainstream non-MJ mama, simply b/c of the higher parental involvement, better health habits, and education level. Which I think was the problem with the Jamaican study - the women who used MJ were already of a higher social/economic/educational stratum and thus would be expected to have better-performing children.

#28 of 214 Old 06-03-2005, 02:33 PM

I did say "hardly any" though, not all and that's mainly from personal experience because I'm one of maybe four people I've met personally who only ever uses MJ (and I'm not saying I do currently...). That number probably went up when I came here though Most of the people I know who use MJ smoke cigarettes at the very least or drink moderately to heavily. And those are people from PA, CA, GA, WA, NH, CN, and Canada because I've moved way too much!

All the US studies - that I've found and I've researched it pretty exhaustively - are tainted though because of the fact that in the US most people use other substances in addition to MJ. If they picked a sample from this board to study the effects then that most likely wouldn't be a problem

I hope that clarifies. My brain really left a few months ago and I appreciate everyone's patience when I don't make sense! 'cause it's been happening a lot lately... my co-workers laugh at me, but their brains are toast because of menopause so I laugh at them back

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#29 of 214 Old 06-03-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetplaya

I did say "hardly any" though, not all and that's mainly from personal experience because I'm one of maybe four people I've met personally who only ever uses MJ (and I'm not saying I do currently...). That number probably went up when I came here though Most of the people I know who use MJ smoke cigarettes at the very least or drink moderately to heavily. And those are people from PA, CA, GA, WA, NH, CN, and Canada because I've moved way too much!
Wow, that's really sad. I know lots of people who smoke cigs but they started that waaaaay before MJ. As for alcohol... usually the two don't mix in my group. I know very few drinkers, and even these drink very rarely, and not to excess. I know of people who do lots of bad drugs, but they are not in my circle and I feel bad for them b/c they have lots of other problems too.

Just don't want to give people the idea that pot leads to harder drugs b/c it really doesn't for most people. IME, pot prevents people from being alcoholics and never goes any further.

Preggo brain sucks. The worst part is feeling normal but that little voice in the back of your mind says "you are being crazy, you know." :LOL

#30 of 214 Old 06-03-2005, 05:05 PM

I guess I'll add that I know very few people who use MJ that also use coke, heroin, etc. In fact, I don't know anyone. Now of course, some of us may have tried a few of those things in our college years but it certainly wasn't a long-lasting thing (or a problematic/addictive thing). However, it does seem that most of the MJ users I know do drink and smoke cigs (at least occasionally). For example, I have a few girlfriends that will smoke MJ, drink and have a few cigs at a party or something like that. As for the daily users I know, probably half are also regular drinkers (as in a couple beers after work, not talking alcoholics) and half of those are also regular cig smokers.

My personal opinion is that smoking cigs during pg is way worse than smoking organic, homegrown "clean" bud. It just makes common sense, kwim? I recently saw an old friend of mine who is newly pregnant. A group of us were socializing and having a few cocktails. She ordered a diet coke. and I thought to myself, is diet coke *really* better than a nice glass of red wine or beer? Same logic applies IMO. natural is good. synthethic, chemical is bad. simple right? am I making any sense? :LOL

I really hate when MJ is accused of being a "gateway" drug. puuuhhhhleaaase. I've been using since high school, and I know tons of people who use MJ (15-20 years later) and I don't know ONE person for whom MJ was a gateway drug. Some bureaucrat made that up and it's just stuck. or was it nancy reagan and "just say no"? :

Also, just for any lurkers and/or doubters reading this, I feel the need to say this -- our circle of friends that use MJ is made up of teachers, lawyers, doctors, corporate professionals, and just plain regular suburban folks. I recall as I grew up and was around my mother and her circle of friends as they smoked, I was *amazed* to see how many "regular" people smoke. You might be surprised to find out that a soccer mom or a teacher near you uses MJ!! Of course this has just been *my* experience.

namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page