Mothering Forum banner

Talk to me about the Daytona Beach area

315 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  duckat 
#1 ·
Hi, Florida Mamas...

DH has a job interview coming up in Daytona, and the prospect is looking very hot at the moment, so we may be moving.

How crunchy is this area? Will I be able to find a CNM or an OB who favors low intervention births?

Where to look for a place? I see Ormond Beach and Holly Hill are close to Daytona on the map. Are they desirable places to live? How about Daytona Beach itself?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks for any info you can share. This may not come to pass, but I like to be prepared.

See less See more
#2 ·
I live north of Orlando about 50 minutes from Daytona...I don't think you would want to live in Daytona.. very touristy, ...Holly Hill or Ormond Beach may be better options..you may also want to look closer to this area (Deltona, Deland, Sanford)...I know that you can find a midwife or OB who favors low intervention births in this area..hope that helps a little

#3 ·
I grew up in Ormond. My high school was across the street from Daytona Beach. My mom and sister still live there. My sister's husband is a Lieutenant with the Daytona Beach Police.

Ormond is very nice. It's getting expensive though! Of course, I don't know where you're coming from, maybe you've already got high housing prices. My sister's 3-2 home that they bought new about 6 years ago was around 120, now would sell for 300K. Perhaps there are better deals; I haven't been looking.

I live in Atlanta now, and when I go to Ormond to visit it feels so nice and sloooooow there. Definitely more small-townish, although it's just growing and growing.

It's a pretty nice place to raise kids. There's a little bitty Whole Foods place, and lots of parks, and of course the ocean. Once, my mom and I took my daughter to the park at the Nova Recreation Center, and I saw several slinging mamas. I've thought about moving back there, if I could afford it! :LOL

#4 ·
Thanks, mykidsmom3 and Lula's Mom!

DH's interview is next Tuesday, so we'll know more after that. We've got feelers out and have potential houses to look at in Ormond and Deltona. I think home prices are about in line with what we have here, though maybe a bit higher there. We have a LOT of equity in our house, though, so we should be able to afford something decent.

If there are slinging mamas, then I should be OK :LOL

I'm sure I'll have more questions if this actually comes to pass.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.