Needing a doc in Topeka/Lawrence area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2005, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need a good doc for my 11 month old. The ped she has been going to isn't going to take her anymore b/c I'm not vaxing. (I hadn't told them before) I want to be able to have an open relationship with a doc. I want someone who is going to be openminded about the issue and not try to argue with me everytime I go in.
I had called the ped office we go to now a asked them about it as a new patient sort of thing and they said they don't take non-vaxing patients.

Anyway TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005, 01:09 PM

Look up Dr. Toth in Topeka. I think his practice is called Luke Medical or something like that...it's on 10th.

We are no longer in that area, but he was our doc when we lived in Lawrence. He was very supportive of not vaxing.

Good luck.

Keri, wife to Tony, mom to five DDs: M ('96), S('01), E('04), A('07) and J('10);
Old 09-03-2005, 11:48 AM

Who was your ped?

Most of my friends go to Dr. Kelley or Dr. Rundquist in Lawrence, ifyou are wanting a ped.

Dr. M. Harris and Dr. Murphy (different offices) are favorite family practice doctors of the area. Both are younger women, very sweet, and very accepting of a variety of birth and parenting practices.

Lori
Old 09-09-2005, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks

We have been seeing Dr. Rainwater or Dr. Harter. I really like them both but I haven't told them about the non-vaxing issue. Which i think will be a problem. I called Dr. Toth's office and unfortunatly he isn't accepting new patients.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:58 AM

Oh, I don't know, I've heard Dr. Rainwater is the best ped to have when it comes to no vaxing, or not vaxing on schedule. I'd be surprised if she gives you a hard time about it.

Lori
Old 09-15-2005, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Really! That would be wonderful! Maybe I will go and tell her we don't want to vax and see how she does with it. I hate trying to find new doctors. It is such a pain. My baby will be one next week and I haven't even made an appt anywhere for her yet. I keep thinking 'what's the point? she's healthy, developing normally and I have to pay a dr. to tell me these things when I already know them?' Of course if I make one now I won't get to see her I would have to see one of the P.A.'s so I wouldn't get to see rainwater until 18 months. Maybe I'll just give the same old line about doing it at the health dpt.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 01:40 AM

Just FYI, I had a very bad experience with Dr. Rundquist which ended up with dd in the hospital. Needless to say, I didn't take dd back to her.

On the very rare occasion we have to go to the doc, we see Dr. Barnes in Lawrence. Unfortunately, I don't think he's accepting new patients and I really don't know what we'll do when he retires. He has always been supportive of our choices. I like most of the other docs at Lawrence Family Med and OB, with the exception of Dr. Bruner (bedside manner? What bedside manner?) and Dr. Carpenter (too many mistakes and she missed a lung abscess on my husband's x-ray which was plain as day). I don't think any of them hassle people about vaxing bc there are so many people around here that don't.

As an interim doc I would recommend Dr. Burt at First Med (walk in clinic.) He's great and doesn't bat an eye at delayed or no vaxing. Good luck finding someone, I know it's nerve wracking.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:19 AM

Dr. Carpenter isn't there any more; Joy Murphy took her place.

It just goes to show that Dr.s are human. As far as the natural birth community/AP community that I know, Maggie Carpenter was the shiznit. She didn't mind if you didn't vax, she was very cool. She was the one we all thought would be the doc to open a birth center independently of the hospital. She was the only doc who openly backed the area's homebirth DEM. Incidentally, she's the daughter in law of Nancy at the Merc. Sometimes things happen, people miss stuff. I personally would never go to Bruner, Barnes, Burt, Vernon, either Phipps' or Bishop in this town. As a nurse, I've seen them all in action, and they are either lazy, rude, or entirely too casual and flippant.

I think any doc can make a mistake, big or small, because they are human. Even the ones that seem obvious is retrospect aren't always so in the moment.

I think it is more important that you feel as comfortable as possible with your doc. We split our time between Rundquist (as our medical doc) and Dana Khosh (as our naturopath). Rundquist doesn't jump for joy at any supplements, but she doesn't frown on them or tell us we shouldn't do them, either.

If only I could just build my own doc, like Anthony Michael Hall in Wierd Science....(that's the name of it, right? Anyone remember that one?)
Old 09-19-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds
It just goes to show that Dr.s are human.

I didn't realize Dr. Carpenter was gone. I really don't mean to step on anyone's toes and didn't mean to sound harsh. : It is just my opinion and also that of someone I know who has been in the delivery room with her on several occasions. I do feel a little touchy about both mistakes I was referring to as they seriously endangered the lives of my family. But, you're right, mistakes do happen.

As far as Dr. Rundquist goes, if she had just listened to me... That's why I go to Barnes. Usually, I can make the diagnosis, he will concur and we go from there. But that's probably just because we have known him so long. It is so hard to find a doc who will just listen and not assume that the patient is completely ignorant, kwim?

Sigh. It really would be great if you could "build your own doc". Figure that one out and there is your million. :LOL
Old 09-19-2005, 12:27 PM

I love Dr. Burt (and his wife) at First Med. His kids were all born at home, they delayed vacs, are great with tandem nurseing, ect. He doesn't take medicaid, so that might be a problem. With their long hours, the few emergencies we've had (stiches two times, and a fractured foot) were handled in the office. Much nicer then the emergency room. And as rarely as anyone in my family goes to the doctor it is nice to all have the same one (family practice, not ped) so maybe they have a chance to know who we are. My kids also love Dr. Burt, even the one who has had stiches there twice, and that is the only reason he has been to the doctor in 5 years.

I've never been particularly fond of the Rundquist, Kelly, Rirodan office. And Rundquist was my doctor until I was 20 (My stepmom worked there)! Are they really okay with delayed vaccs?

Quote:
I personally would never go to Bruner, Barnes, Burt, Vernon, either Phipps' or Bishop in this town. As a nurse, I've seen them all in action, and they are either lazy, rude, or entirely too casual and flippant.
My stepmom hated Dr. Burt too, I have never heard good things about him from nurses or others that had to work with him, but I loved him as my doctor.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:59 PM

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but we used Anne VanGarsse in Lawrence. I don't remember what the practice was, but it was across from LMH. We really liked her a lot. Good luck!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamathistle
I really don't mean to step on anyone's toes and didn't mean to sound harsh. :

As far as Dr. Rundquist goes, if she had just listened to me... That's why I go to Barnes.

You didn't step on *any* toes...I just more wanted to point out the irony that many in the natural birth community here LOVED Dr. Carpenter, but she obviously didn't work for you. It just reiterates your later point that finding a doc who listens to you is one of the most important pieces of finding a good doc for your family.

And I'm not *endorsing* Dr. Rundquist or that group; I'm just saying I can *tolerate* them.......
Old 10-09-2005, 12:41 PM

I would second Dr. Toth in Topeka. Last year we drove the 6 hour trip down there once a month for quite awhile. He really helped our girls with their food allergies. If we had more money, we'd still being going there.

There is also a great acupuncturist, Cynthia at Herbs & More. The girls and I loved her. She really worked well with the girls. (no needles, just the laser)

Good luck. We have the same problem here with doctors and no-vaxing. There's only two here that will see us. Thank goodness they are wonderful.

User Tag List