Finding and Giving Hurricane Katrina Relief Maryland, Metro D.C. Area, Delaware - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-02-2005, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
La Leche League International has set up a safe, dry house (belonging to a member) where leaders and mothers can get some supplies and help. The Northern Anne Arundel LLL group is putting together a box (or 2) to send. If you have any clothing, bedding, snacks, books, etc that you want to go to LLL moms please feel free to drop them off at A Blooming Basket Florist on Veterans Hwy in Millersville anytime Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.
Anything you can send will surely be appreciated by the moms and children who receive them! This is the best way I have found to make sure that what you send goes directly to those who need it.
Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 09-03-2005, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the notice. I just cleaned out Dd's closet and I'm happy to have a good place to send the clothes.
#3 of 23 Old 09-05-2005, 12:05 AM

API of No. Virginia is also participating in this effort. We will be collecting at our Monthly Support Meeting Sep. 16 @ the Dolley Madison Libary in McLean from 1:30-3:30.

#4 of 23 Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 PM

Suzy,
I have four big boxes of kids clothes. Will you be able to handle all of that? I can also put together a box or two of adult clothing, if you'll take it.
And, will these items only be going to La Leche League leaders and mothers, or to anyone who needs them?
Thanks!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#5 of 23 Old 09-06-2005, 01:27 PM

I have adult and children's clothing that I'd like to give to Katrina survivors, but I can't afford shipping at this time. Is there a place in Maryland (central Maryland, if possible) where I can drop off boxes of clothes, toys, and books to be sent to survivors? I'm already aware of the La Leche League, and I'm looking for others.
Thank you!

#6 of 23 Old 09-06-2005, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Debi,
I don't think we have the resources to ship 4 boxes of clothes. I have heard that they are moving a lot of people up here to the DC Armory and I know LLL will be involved in getting some supplies to them. That might be a better way to handle such a large donation.
The boxes we are sending to MS are going to a home set up to help LLL Leaders, members and breastfeeding moms. That was the general idea I got from everything I have read.
I'll let you know as I hear more about the local assistance we can offer!
Suzy

#7 of 23 Old 09-06-2005, 06:16 PM

I'd appreciate that, Suzy.
If LLL will accept used clothing for the DC Armory group, I'm willing to help with that. I don't know if the Red Cross and/or DC gov't will impede that in any way, however. From what I've read, those two won't accept used clothing donations.

#8 of 23 Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 PM

debi i pm'd you!
#9 of 23 Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 AM

Thanks, Dana!

#10 of 23 Old 09-08-2005, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Von Paris Moving and Storage in Arnold is sending their trucks down to a town that is now home to 10,000 survivors. They are accepting donations through Tuesday. They are on Ritchie Hwy, near the Safeway and Special Beginnings.

Suzy

#11 of 23 Old 09-08-2005, 04:25 PM

Suzy,

Do you know what they are taking? Will they take used clothes? Also, do you know if they will take stuffed animals in good condition for the kids?

I have an appointment at Special Beginnings on Monday, so that would be perfect!

Thanks
#12 of 23 Old 09-08-2005, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

I dropped off 3 bags of used clothes today and they were very happy to take them. I'm sure stuffed animals would be fine. The only thing they said they didn't want is food (or furniture).

Suzy

#13 of 23 Old 09-08-2005, 05:53 PM

I was wondering about local efforts to help the evacuees that have been sent to DC? I can't find info on that. I have stuff I was going to send away to LLL but why send if I can give it locally? Any ideas??
#14 of 23 Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 PM

Not sure if you are still looking, Debi, but here is an article that was in tonight's Capital about donating locally or to shelters in other places. It sounds like they were having some trouble getting the items into the Armory though. :

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi...5/09_08-41/TOP

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#15 of 23 Old 09-08-2005, 11:22 PM

Here's an article about it:

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi...5/09_08-41/TOP

#16 of 23 Old 09-10-2005, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who dropped off things to send to the LLL Safe House. I just finished packing it all up. The box is full of great baby things. I kno wthey will be thirlled to receive it!

Suzy

#17 of 23 Old 09-13-2005, 03:12 PM

Today and tomorrow, Kohls in Severna Park (and possibly other Kohls stores) is accepting gently used children's items to go to Hurricane Katrina survivors. You will receive a 15% off coupon to be used today and tomorrow, as well as a receipt for tax purposes.

#18 of 23 Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 PM

The purpose of this thread is to post information, offers and suggestions to help those who have been displaced by Hurricane Katrina in your local and surrounding community. We want to get as much information gathered as possible so that moms in your area can access the following information:

1. Who needs help in your area
2. Where they can donate goods locally
3. Local organizations that are organizing relief efforts
4. Ideas and ways of getting involved and where volunteers are needed
5. Shelters for Hurricane Katrina in your area
6. Post if you are willing to help in your area
#19 of 23 Old 09-21-2005, 12:29 PM

Anyone around silver spring area, even DC taking donations?? I got some stuff to donate, but now I don't know what to do w/ it. I just got an email that the LLL collection site is packed full and needing to distribute so you can send to a different address. I know of a couple places in Baltimore accepting donations till Thursday, but man, I don't want to spend $20 in gas to get there!! Well, maybe not that much.... ANY ideas????
#20 of 23 Old 09-21-2005, 01:18 PM

Just a thought... I've read a lot of stories about donations being packed full into warehouses because there has been such an onverwhelming response of people trying to help. Truckfulls of clothes and other items from our area were not allowed to go to the shelters because there wasn't the manpower or space to distribute. After reading those stories, I can't help but to wonder if all the stuff donated to the people in need after Katrina will ever make it to them. Then I was wondering this... how many of our local shelters are in desperate need of supplies because stuff that would normally be given to them has been sent to be put in warehouses? My family has already donated some stuff to Katrina victims, but I think this next round of stuff I'm collecting is going to stay local. Perhaps you could find a shelter in Silver Spring that could use the donations? You would still be helping someone in need
#21 of 23 Old 09-21-2005, 06:50 PM

They are taking donations down by truck to a shelter that has 10,000 displaced victims - no clothes, but toys are VERY welcome, and toiletries!

--oops...now I see that Suzy already posted this ....well, just an update I guess.
#22 of 23 Old 09-24-2005, 03:23 PM

This from The Capital Newspaper today. The woman that founded Annapolis Cares in order to collect Katrina donations has an arrest record for theft and shoplifting.

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi...5/09_24-19/TOP

I posted the earlier article about them, so I wanted to let you all know about this. Freaky stuff.

#23 of 23 Old 10-15-2005, 09:59 AM

Have you heard about Project Backpack? It is a local effort and started by two girls in Bethesda. see www.projectbackpack.org The backpacks ARE being delivered and making it to the intended recipients so this might be a good option for those who have material items to give.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page