Vancouver Tribe - Leaves are Falling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought it was about time for a new thread.

Everyone carving up their pumpkins today??

Nicki

Mum to : Chloë(May 01) and Molly(June 04)
#2 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 02:39 PM

We have one pumpkin done already, and a couple more to go!
#3 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 02:39 PM

Subscribing!
Our pumpkins were done last weekend - Oscar actually carved his all by himself. He did a fantastic job and was so proud! Harry has been away in Europe since last Sunday. He comes home tomorrow - I can't wait!
#4 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yup, today is pumpkin carving day for us! I'm so happy, I love pumpkin carving and eating fresh pumpkin seeds I am also going to decorate the yard a bit and get something to hand out to the trick or treaters. I don't know how many kids usually come around here though so I better stock up, I can always eat the extra I got Cora halloween tights at the Children's Place, and they are sooo cute I just can't get enough of them. I bought them in the next size up too so she can wear them all year round.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#5 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 03:11 PM

subbing...

Jen

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#6 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

How about this one?

Prenatal Pumpkin

Heh!
Nicki

Mum to : Chloë(May 01) and Molly(June 04)
#7 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 03:54 PM

we carved 5!! this year. for my little one's 5th birthday. all done! and granny was here and finished the costume, so we're all set.

happy hallowe'en! how do you deal with all the candy?

#8 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 03:56 PM

Subbing...

No pumpkin carving for us, since we don't eat the thing. I knitted one up instead. I just have to get around stuffing it...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#9 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 04:08 PM

Re. the candy
We're not sure what we'll do yet. I'm thinking of letting them choose a few pieces to eat when they like, then offering to buy the rest off them for $5 or so. Anyone else have any ideas?
#10 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 04:29 PM

subscribing!

we carved one last week and are probably going to carve a few today or tomorow.. i still have to make elwynn's costume and my own.. ak...what to be..what to be..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#11 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 05:38 PM

Hello hello! Thanks for starting a new thread, Nicki!

We have 5 or 6 Cinderella themed jack-o-lanterns left over from the big ball, but tonight I think we'll do a few Halloween ones. I had all sorts of ideas of stuff I was going to do this weekend, but somehow I'm just exhausted and feel like sitting on my couch!!!!! Oh well, luckily we're living with another family and they're busy decorating the house up while I veg on-line for a bit!!!! By the way, I made a small album with a few photos from the ball at Flickr if anyone wants a glimpse!!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/85255932@N00/sets/1233857/ It was a lot of fun, and definitely a magical night for the girls......if I get up the energy to do something like this again, I'll let you all know!!!!

As for Halloween candy, a friend of ours lets her daughter pick 10 pieces and do what she wants with them (ie spread them out over days or eat all at once) and then the rest they put into a pumpkin overnight for the pumpkin faerie.....and the next morning there's a gift from the pumpkin faerie in exchange for the candy!!!! In years past, we've just put it in a cupboard and had a bit at a time with us definitely helping out a lot, but I think that will be less possible as Kea gets older and realizes how much there is!!!! I may try the gift exchange idea - Tiegan especially gets super wired on candy!!!!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#12 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 06:10 PM

hello everyone!
will reply later re:candy....
#13 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 06:27 PM

im going to let elwynn trick-or-treat but then have a bag at home to switch it with its going to have some organic boxes of raisins and some special fruit gummies and a new tooth brush and some fruit leather.. a few special chocolate things, stickers and some other fun things.. he wont know the difference..but then i have to make sure i dont eat all of the stuff he collects..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#14 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 06:32 PM

Did you know you can change your settings so you see 40 posts per page instead of 20? I only show 14 pages for the last thread,

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#15 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 07:04 PM

We carved our pumpkins Friday evening with MIL and neice. We made three little ones and Emily loves them. She asks for them to be lit and then insists on playing where she can see them, lol.

I'm torn about the candy thing. The sugar-addict in me says "grab all you can - it's FREE candy!!", but then what to do with it? My mother used to ration it out to us, one each night. Yup, it lasted for months that way, lol. But enforcing it was hard and since we're not into authoritarianism <giggle> that won't work for us. I was thinking of just hiding it all, but then of course I'll just end up eating it. The fairy idea is brilliant, too. As is the idea of switching the bag around, but something tells me Emily will figure that out and it will backfire on me!

We don't have a costume yet, so tomorrow morning we'll try to put something together. I don't think Emily's going to want to wear anything too unfamiliar, like a mask for example, for long so it will be simple and not too exciting. But hey, she's only 3 right, what do people expect - latex and fake blood?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#16 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 08:25 PM

Last night DH carved the pumpkins with the kids and tonight we'll roast the pumpkin seed and eat them.
Re:Halloween candy and Birthday goody bag...this will the 3rd year for ethan to go trick or treating.Like most of the kids,he loves candy....but he "understand" that candy is not healthy for his body.
i just told him straight:that, mommy like you to have fun go T&T...but i really really don't want you to eat those candy at all,you could pick 1 or 2 ps(he would pick 1 lollipop& 1 chocolate ) and we throw the rest away.
before Halloween,we would go buy some organic chocolate and those lollipop fr capers together and they could have those instead.
after reading candy question from here,i just asked him:"what would we do with all the candy tomorrow?" he said; he'd pick 2 big chocolate bars ...then HE'll be the one to throw the candy in the gabbage ,not mommy.
#17 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 09:16 PM

We carved one pumpkin 2 weeks ago and one last week. They both grew fur out of their eyeballs...extra spooky About candy...Virginia has so many allergies/intolerances that we arranged ahead of time which neighbors we would visit and dh dropped off goody bags that we made up especially for her, that we don't have to worry. We are then rationing what little she gets (no chocolate to tempt me while it sits around)! I like the pumpkin fairy idea...we might try that next year.

Erica- We had a fabulous time at the ball. Virginia would like to move to a castle now and always wear 16th century dresses with hoops ! Oh, and she said that Scott needs a powdered wig and shoes with big bows and buckles!
#18 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 09:19 PM

#19 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 10:24 PM

Wow,the cinderella ball looked like so much fun! Beautiful gown! something to look forward to as Arlo grows. Weeeee. We cleaned out the pumpkin and roasted the seeds (with tamari -yum) but we have yet to carve it. Arlo thinks the pumpkin is a ball. in fact anything circular is called a ball. No trick or treating for us but i have gotten some great tips from you all for future Hallow's eves. i love the trade idea.
Enjoy, indulge a little and be warm. Ella.
#20 of 469 Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 PM

Oh yeah, about the pumpkins. We bought a couple the other day, but I guess I keep hoping someone else will do something with them. Well, actually DH cleaned them out today, so now we just have to carve them tomorrow...I hate this stuff!

Dd wants me to go Trick or Treating with her (dh usually goes while I stay home & give out candy), but I'm just not into it, especially if it's going to be raining . I guess we wouldn't have to stay out too long...

I have no idea what to do with all the candy. Normally I would just hide most of it & eat it myself, but now I won't be able to eat most of it either (not eating wheat or dairy). Maybe I'll give it to the teenager next door :.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#21 of 469 Old 10-31-2005, 12:04 AM

grumble...I just made a big entry...beamed about my son, Josh...included a recipe for kettle corn (ah a sweet and salty treat)....and somehow it got eaten

At any rate...as far as Halloween treats for my kids, I've done all sorts of things and it really depends on their age. I'm not going to let Soren eat much...because he can't understand why he's NUTS afterwards. As for Zea and Josh, they get to eat as much as they want when they want (though I do encourage STRONGLY that they don't eat candy for breakfast). They get through it very quickly (a couple of days or so) and then we have discussions about nutrition, behaviour..."why do you think you had so many meltdowns?", etc. Josh seems to really get it and most often he makes good food choices...but there are times when he's exerimenting (even though he doesn't see it this way). It was around age 4 or 5 that Josh "got it" so I expect Zea might this year. It has come in varying degrees over the years for Josh and I expect it will be the same with the others.

I'm from the everything in moderation camp most days...but monitoring the halloween candy and playing candy guard is no fun. It's easier for us just to get it out of the way and allow them the experience of what eating way too much candy is like for themselves. That way it's done after 4 days and not drawn out over 30 or 40 days of 1-2 pieces per day. Bah...I had this written out much better in my first post.

I'm off to help decorate for our co-op's potluck tomorrow night. We all bring haunted food (I always bring bandaged fingers --hotdogs with slits cut for knuckles and wrapped in strips of tortilla...also I hollow out the finger nail area and add ketchup...bake for a bit and they really do look like bloodied, crusty fingers! Ewwww!...the kids love em and it works with veggie dogs too!).

Abby
#22 of 469 Old 10-31-2005, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We carved only one pumpkin. Usually that's enough to attract up to 100 kids. The boys are totally excited about it. I hope tomorrow's rain isn't too bad.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#23 of 469 Old 10-31-2005, 01:34 AM

HERE you all are!!!

erica, I kept meaning to come here and thank you for organizing the ball-- it was really great -- I haven't looked at the photos yet and am a bit afraid to...living back in the city hasn't yet cured me of my suburban spread and I still have one month until I'm living in a bathing suit for two weeks....I'll start exercising religiously *tomorrow* for sure! ...though I'm pretty sure my fairy-godmother costume left a lot to the imagination

rhonda, I seem to remember standing with virginia staring at jamie's buckle/bow shoes

we did some pumpkins last week -- (one was especially moldy, but I scraped it out and it's ok now) Luckily Lucy was keen to clean out all the gunk -- when you roast the seeds do you shell them after you roast them, before or just eat the whole thing? I don't really like the shells, but maybe I'm doing something wrong....

Oh, and we've only ever gone to a few houses in the past, so the candy thing wasn't an issue, as our kids were kind enough to share with us , but most people don't know that the tooth fairy will buy your candy from you as well...or perhaps trade it for a gift -- I like the pumpkin fairy better though.

have happy halloweens, everyone!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#24 of 469 Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 AM

Oooh, the Cinderella ball looked like so much fun! Is it going to be a yearly event? I love the idea of the Pumpkin Fairy - so magical. My kids love stuff like that!
#25 of 469 Old 10-31-2005, 03:17 AM

I can't believe there aren't any photos of the ugly step-sister in there!!! She was the belle of the ball!!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#26 of 469 Old 10-31-2005, 03:44 AM

OOOhhh, the Cinderella ball looked like so much fun!!!
#27 of 469 Old 10-31-2005, 04:03 AM

just subscribing. There was a cinderella ball? Oh no too bad we missed it. I've been out of it the past few months. Maybe I will start doing stuff again soon.

I like the idea of letting them learn the consequences of eating all the candy, though I cringe at the idea of kali eating lots of sugar.

We are just dealing with cavities. I took her to a dentist who said she had 6 cavities, I then took her to my dentist who said she had 2 cavities.... how depressing. Better 2 than six though!
#28 of 469 Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM

Oh now i have some time to read everyone posts.i love the fairy idea,too.
we don't want to teach our kids about wasting (like throwing candy away ... ).i love this tribe,i always could learn new thing from here
Have a fun Halloween!
#29 of 469 Old 10-31-2005, 03:32 PM

Loving the pumpkin fairy idea. Fortunatly Alias dosen't really like candy too much. Loves cookies and cakes and all sorts of baked goods, but when it comes to candy he likes plain chocolate or those gummi candies, and that's about it. But I think we're going to do the pumpkin fairy candy/toy swap anyways, just to get the tradition started. It will be a lot easier to convince him to part with his candy when he's not all that interested anyway.

I love you women's great, creative ideas. You are all so inspiriational.
#30 of 469 Old 10-31-2005, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page