Calling all canadian mamas! Check out this petition!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2005, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.petitiononline.com/kidcare/petition.html

"Did you know that the Canadian federal government plans to infuse daycares in several provinces with $5 billion over 5 years! What about all other child care choices, such as:

The following list is made up of the children of Canada who will be ignored and possibly prejudiced by the March 2005 budget:

1. -children in alternate childcare settings such as at a sitter's or a family-run daycare
2. -children in the care of a relative, such as a grandmother
3. -children in "skip-parent families" who are being raised by a grandparent because the parents are out of the picture
4. -children in homes where one parent has a home-based office or telecommutes, does contract work, is self-employed from home and even children whose parent operates a family-run daycare facility
5. -children whose parents "tag-team" so that they can offshift each other in order to be there and take care of their children
6. -children whose parents have arranged paid work schedules so one of them is always home when the child is home (for instance women who have part-time day jobs during school hours only)
7. -children who are raised in a nontraditional setting where dad is the principal caregiver and mom the principal income earner
8. -children who are raised in a traditional setting where mom is the principal caregiver and dad is the principal income earner
9. -children who are experiencing an education adventure of a lifetime traveling with their parents while being homeschooled, and all other children who are being homeschooled
10. -children who are being provided with educational stimulation every week in
preschool classes, such as art, library story time, gym, dance, art, music, yoga for
babies, swimming and who are taken to and from such classes by a parent who
personally has little or no income, to ensure the child gets such education.
11. children who have parents who work outside of the regular 9-to-5 workweek,
including evening, out-of-town, weekend or seasonal jobs. "

http://www.petitiononline.com/kidcare/petition.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2005, 02:46 PM

Thanks for posting. Interesting information!

Mama to DD#1 (03/05) and DD#2 (05/08). Expecting baby #3.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:52 PM

When I was looking for daycare for my ds, I couldn't believe how many daycares were chains/corportations/big-old-money makers. I have no idea what the stats are, but I would bet my bottom dollar that big business has a very large hand in making up new daycare regulations.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:09 PM

Over a quarter of that money has already been earmarked for Quebec, where the daycare system is state run, is it not? I think that will probably be the case in other provinces as well. In Nova Scotia at least, big business has very little to do with making up daycare regulations, and we have limitations against big chains operating daycares.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:29 AM

My husband and I have just been talking about this! We are a single-income family, intending to homeschool in the future, and we feel cheated by this as well. This budget, although it sounds good for some, does discriminate against people like us. Thanks for posting this information!

User Tag List