AP moms in Mohawk Valley, NY area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-12-2003, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sober, non-mainstream moms seem to be a rareity around my way, or at least it seems that way. Therefore, I have been "stuck in the house" for a few years.

I have been feeling like an oddity out of all the young mothers in the area I live in as most of the young woman choose to drop their kids off somewhere and party all weekend...I have no interest in doing that so I have not many friends to socialize with.

I think that my time is valuably spent with my children.

Are there any mothers who feel the same way in this area?

Please, excuse my spelling.

Jessica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 01-28-2003, 09:26 PM

I moved "up" here (from the midwest)almost 2 years ago and still feel like I just don't fit it. I go to the kids school functions, soccer, chat with the neighbors, whatever but have had the worst time making any real friends. I really miss my friends at home where we all had kids and were pretty laid back. just watching movies, loading up the kids and making a duo out of grocery shopping or going to the park to feed the ducks. showing up at eachothers house and cleaning or doing laundry and drinking coffee.
pb
#3 of 21 Old 02-11-2003, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Where about in the Mohawk Valley are you in? I am in Amsterdam, NY.

I grew up in Canajoharie though.
I don't like it much here and have been thinking of moving back to Canajoharie before the next school year begins.
#4 of 21 Old 02-12-2003, 01:01 PM

Where are you in the Good ole' Mohawk Valley? I am from Ilion, currently live in Syracuse, but visit Ilion a lot, also lived in Amsterdam a while!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#5 of 21 Old 02-16-2003, 04:18 PM

Hi, I am new here. I am in the Schenectady area and also looking for like minded moms.

Kim
#6 of 21 Old 02-18-2003, 11:40 AM

I lived in Amsterdam for a short period. Am now in the Broadalbin Perth area. I can't wait for Spring! Too much snow. I think I know what cabin fever is!
pb
#7 of 21 Old 02-19-2003, 02:16 PM

Hi! I'm in Gloversville!

Mamabear, I too feel isolated. I have a few friends, but none of them have children. I don't know of any other AP mothers here.

Princess Buttercup, love your handle! The Princess Bride is one of my favorite books/films. I too am a SAHM who loves cotton diapers (I've seen some of your posts in other threads). Welcome to the area and welcome to the mothering.com forums!

Jess, I have an aunt in Ilion. She just retired as music teacher in the Little Falls school. I think she may have taught in the Ilion school for a while, too. You never had Miss Mitchell, did you?

Kim, I'm in Schenectady from time to time because my mother lives there. (Sometimes I'm there helping my mother work on her web page: http://greenhat.5u.com)

I'm so happy to find you all here! Let's keep this thread going!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#8 of 21 Old 02-20-2003, 03:24 AM

Wow we seem to be popping up in some interesting places in CNY :LOL
I'm not exactly in the mohawk valley area, but I can definately sympathize how you feel Jessica (I'm also a Jessica, go by Jesse ) To start off I am the only one out of my friends who even has kids lol. People I was friends with before I was preg just wanted to party all weekend (and all week ) so needless to say I've long lost touch with them. My two closest friends don't even live nearby anymore, due to life in general. Not only am I a young SAHM, (well, 23 is young I guess) with out a car, in a semi-rural area (Phoenix, Oswego) - but most moms I have met are rather the same...bottlefeed by choice (not nessesity) and ignorance, keep babies in a bucket all day, drop off kids at grandma's so they can go tie one on for a weekend, etc etc. I don't even get into that I go by my instincts with parenting (was thrilled to discover it had a name, AP), co-sleep, support homebirth, dont vaccinate, and <gasp> LOVE cloth diapers :LOL etc etc.
Ok enough whining from me
Sighhhh I used to go to LLL 20 minutes away from here but then ran into my transportation problem, I remember I was pleased as punch just to be in a room full of moms who at least breastfed!
Did I say enough whining? :LOL

edited because I am so sleepy my sentences didn't make sense.
#9 of 21 Old 02-20-2003, 03:29 AM

Hey all! I don't live in NY but I was born there. My mother lives in Schenectady County, Scotia to be exact, towards Amsterdam. I will be visiting her this summer for at least two weeks and I would love to meet some MDC mammas!
#10 of 21 Old 02-20-2003, 01:31 PM

That's a great idea! We should figure out a good place and time that we can all meet. I'm in!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#11 of 21 Old 02-27-2003, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by trishshack
Hey all! I don't live in NY but I was born there. My mother lives in Schenectady County, Scotia to be exact, towards Amsterdam. I will be visiting her this summer for at least two weeks and I would love to meet some MDC mammas!
I live in Scotia! Did you grow up here? I graduated from Scotia-Glenville High School in 1986. Wow, it sure is a small world!

Kim
#12 of 21 Old 02-27-2003, 07:59 PM

I only lived in New York until I was 4. I was born in Schnectady and most of my family lives there. Mom and Dad just wanted to have a little land when they moved back there after my Dad retired from the Navy. I'm not sure but I think she is out of city limits. She lives out on Route 5 past the 890. Not too far from Schenectady or Scotia proper. I couldn't move back there though, she was telling me about the tax hike and I was amazed Are they still protesting the power plant?
#13 of 21 Old 02-28-2003, 12:42 PM

I know exactly where you are talking about. I am only five mintues from there. I don't know what is up with the power plant; I haven't heard anything about it in a few years.

My mother grew up in Amsterdam. My uncle calls it the armpit of upstate New York!

Kim
#14 of 21 Old 03-10-2003, 11:16 AM

Hope you don;t mind me peeping in your thread. I grew up in Herkimer, and graduated from Mohawk HS in '89. I really miss the Mohawk Valley sometimes. But I think there are more like-minded people in Seattle, where I live now! Hope you have success in meeting other MDC moms!

Stephanie
#15 of 21 Old 03-10-2003, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe we could meet in the park- the one with Jumpin' Jack's once the nice weather comes.

trishshack- let us know when you will be visiting so we can plan a date for you to join us.

#16 of 21 Old 07-31-2003, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been a long time since I visited MDC. My computer was down for quite a while.

Is anyone still up to making a trip to the park in Scotia?

Hopefully we can set up a good date for all of us to be able to make it.

I have been there a few times already this summer and my children had a wonderful time.

We went for the 4th of July fireworks and on two other occassions we played at the park for a while.

The weekend is best for me because, of course, during the week there are a million things going on.

I think the forecast calls for rain this weekend, so maybe the weekend after? Saturday?

Jessica
mammabear to Monet & Jaden

#17 of 21 Old 07-31-2003, 11:02 AM

I'm still in!

And I'm free next Saturday. : )

#18 of 21 Old 08-04-2003, 01:02 PM

I live in Clinton and would love to meet some like-minded individuals in my area. My daughter is going to be 2 next week (don't know the message board lingo for abbreviations) and would love to connect with some young moms. I'm 26 and am very content to spend my weekends with my daughter, especially since I work full-time. That does however mean that I don't have many girlfriends my age. My finace stays home with her and they have a great connection. Anyway, I'm not party girl- feel very blessed to have a baby and only have an occassional get-away for dinner. We try to eat organic, as much as possible, and we haven't had vaccinations. If anyone is interested in talking let me know.

Esena
#19 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 12:40 PM

I have to agree with the posts that I read from moms in the upstate NY/Mohawk Valley area. My husband and I have made the decision for me to stay home with my new son (now 9 months today), despite just earning my MHA, and I have to say a lot of my friends "pre baby" do not have children and I really don't hear from them anymore. Ha, I guess that says a lot! Anyway, I have looked for "mom and me" type programs such as Gymboree in my area and there is nothing for moms and their children of this type in my area within 25 miles+! I could not believe it, but yet knowing this area I should not be surprised! So, here I am. A quick "lowdown" on the the "type" of parents we are: My husband and I do not feel our son needs television and thus have made the decision to stimulate him with one on one interaction and objects instead--many in this area have looked at like I'm nuts, as if we are "depriving" our child of tv! We read to him several times during the day in various formats and have started rudimentary counting and alphabet lessons. It may sounds "nuts" to some, but our son has started a life long love of books which will aid in developing his imagination and creative learning skills later on in life. He has gotten excited and squealed with delight at the sight of a book since about 4/5 months and has been able to turn the pages and hold many books since about the same age. Of course, he will be exposed to television eventually, after age two, and even then it will only be if he shows an interest and then it will be limited to one hour of "screen time," including any computer time as he gets older, per day. Food-wise, we have entirely transformed the entire family's eating habits and hope to end the cycle of "food dependence" that has typified our generation's eating habits (meaning equating food with acceptance, consolation, and reward of course). He currently has not had refined sugar and I am limiting his grains to whole wheat and whole grains only. We can only hope to instill some life long eating habits that will aid him in making healthy eating decisions as he gets older and is "out in the world."
I know, we must sound very strict, even regimented. Well, it took a lopng time to have our little Blessing and we just want to make sure we give him as good of a start in life as we can. Call us crazy but we absolutely LOVE being out son's parents!
So...if you feel like chatting (I do so when Iget a "spare moment" or after he is asleep for the night) or if you are from the Upstate/Mohawk Valley area please respond! It would be terrific to correspond with like-minded people!! :-)
#20 of 21 Old 09-10-2006, 09:38 AM

I'm live in Albany, so I'm close to alot of you
#21 of 21 Old 09-12-2006, 03:45 PM

Welcome to MDC, KieransMa! You're not strict; you'll fit right in here at Mothering!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page