Question for Portland Area Mommas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2005, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Portland Mommas. DH was just transferred to the Pacific NW and will be out there the first week in January to find a place for us to live. After much research, we are leaning towards Portland over Seattle. However, I have one overwhelming concern with Portland. I have heard that there is a backlash and ill-thought towards newcomers in the Portland area. How true is this? Comming from the north east (NJ&PA) I do not want to live in an another place where I have to deal with rudeness nor do I want to feel un-welcome. Although, it would be very difficult to top the rudeness of northern NJ where I grew up (no offense NJ mommas). Thanks in advance for your responses. Oh....and if anyone can help me with resources for finding a rental house that will accept two small dogs and one cat I would appreciate it.

Have a great day!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 06:01 PM

We are northeast transplants living in the Portland area (suburban NY area & Boston for me, suburban Philly & upstate NY for my partner) and although I got some comments from a few people after we first moved here and I worked in the retail world and some people thought I was too "East Coast" in my dealings with customers (my boss' boss, in particular), most of the people we know are also transplants and we don't get comments from them. We live in a small suburban town on the edge of rural-ity (is that a word? If it isn't, it should be!) and half of the population is native Oregonians and the other half transplants like us, and we never get any comments from anyone anymore. We've lived here in the Portland area for over 8 years now.

Not something to worry about, in my opinion. It's more of a hyped up backlash at this point since the past decade has seen such an influx of people to the portland area.

Come visit us on the Portland area chat thread for December:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=377610

~claudia
Old 12-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I love Portland, and just moved here from Boulder/Denver at the beginning of the year. I have nevver gotten any comment about it. Everyone has been very nice and welcoming.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 PM

I've been here for 7 years, but my wife was born and raised in Portland. One thing you'll notice, if you ask, is that most people here are transplants!

I have heard some mildly disparaging remarks about people from California moving here in droves, but it feels more like harmless grousing than honest-to-goodness prejudice. The first week I moved here I felt like I was buzzing with this tremendous energy and floating a few feet off the ground. I still remember being in the grocery store and being shocked when someone in line started chatting with me out of the blue! Coming from the suburbs of Chicago, where people have an invisible but inpenetrable bubble around them most of the time, it felt heavenly! Not to say that Oregonians, or Portlanders, are somehow more fantastic than other people, but if you come here with enthusiasm, Portlanders will respond well to you!

Good luck!

Erin

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

Old 12-12-2005, 08:58 PM

i just moved here a few weeks ago.

i love it. everyone is SO. NICE. i seriously can not tell you how nice everyone has been to us, even the girl at the toy store made me a list of cool places i should go to, and the guy at the grocery store told me all the places i can go to buy new shoes (he said my chucks would get too soaked, lol!)

anyways, seriously, i have not had one person be negative to me about being a newcomer. that's good, because i'm from texas and i'm totally afraid i would stand out as being too texas....
Old 12-13-2005, 03:51 AM

I'm a native Oregonian, born and raised in Portland. Most of the people I know are transplants from somewhere else. It's actually pretty rare to find someone who is actually FROM here. Several years ago there was quite a "movement" against Californians moving up here, but even that was done in our most polite Porland way, for the most part.

Dp is from New Jersey and his parents moved here last year from the east coast. All of them are amazed at how nice people are here. Dp's step dad is from the Bronx and it's taken him a while to understand that people really are genuinely nice here. My former co-worker was from the midwest and actually hated it here because she thought people were TOO nice. I dont' think you'll have any problems.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:01 AM

Another voice in the choir...I moved from TX and never felt any backlash. C'mon over!!! We love to have mamas join us. Seattle seems huge to me. Portland is nice and user friendly.

(Claudia...I'm from Boston, too!! I grew up in Newton. You?)
Old 12-13-2005, 05:00 AM

adrienne: i went to college at tufts in mehd-fuhd (medford) / slummer-ville, er... i mean, somerville. hee hee... one of my friends from college was from newton. and another one from lynn. and another one from gloucester. and another one from... i could go on and on... tufts is quite popular with the locals.

~claudia
Old 12-13-2005, 05:09 AM

I moved here from Cali almost 10 years ago.. and even then the 'we hate californians' seemed more like playful banter than true dislike. People here are pretty mellow, and nice in general. Of course, there are some a$$holes, but over all, good people.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:09 AM

One more thing. Delicious... your siggy rocks.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:31 PM

I moved here from Baltimore last spring. People are wonderful (and yes, there is a sort've gentle eye-rolling disdain for Californians ... but nothing nasty).
Old 12-13-2005, 10:15 PM

I can give you two perspectives-

12 years ago (was it really that long?) I moved from California to Seattle. I definately got the "Ohhhh, another person from California!" comments all the time. It was enough to be annoying, but mostly along the lines of playful banter, like a PP said.

We were up there for 8 years (LOVED it) before moving back to NorCal for school and to be closer to my family.

3 weeks ago I moved from California to Portland. I haven't felt any tension from anyone about being from CA. Granted, I haven't been here long, and I do tent to mention in the conversation that DH is from Seattle, and we missed the Pacific Northwest, but still, nobody has even bat an eye or smirked at me here in Portland.

DH and I considered moving back to Seattle, but wanted to try someplace new. I'm glad we did. I do love Seattle, but I think Portland has a lot more down to earth neighborhoods and feels smaller.

Just my $.02!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Wow.......Huge sigh of releif!!!!!!

Thank you all so much for your comments and thoughtful persectivies. I am now completely sold on Portland. DH will be there looking for a rental home at the beginning of the year and my boys and I will be arriving at the end of January. I would be delighted to meet up with some of you when we arrive. Claudia - thanks for providing me with the Portland december chat thread!

Many Thanks,
-Jen
Old 12-13-2005, 10:41 PM

I got more "oh, you're from Oregon, so you must be a hippie" when i lived in Boston (another east coast lover here) for a few years, than i have heard "Oh, another Californian" from locals here.
seriously do all people on the east coast think people from Oregon MUST be hippies? cause i heard it a few times a week at least, the whole 3 years i lived in Boston. and that was when i looked more mainstream, ie shaving and wearing deodorant and plucking my brows and wearing makeup and such.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 12-14-2005, 02:41 AM

BTW - try www.portland.craigslist.com for rentals.

V.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadawg
I'm a native Oregonian, born and raised in Portland. Most of the people I know are transplants from somewhere else. It's actually pretty rare to find someone who is actually FROM here. Several years ago there was quite a "movement" against Californians moving up here, but even that was done in our most polite Porland way, for the most part.
I'm a native and I totally agree. I am actually GLAD there are so many transplants here. It's really changed the face of Portland, and the whole culture, for the better. 15 years ago Portlanders were shy, overly polite, and not particularly interested in meeting new people. I used to feel bad for people who moved here and didn't know anyone. Now that this city is populated by people from somewhere else everyone is looking to make new friends and people are outgoing and authentic. It's made it so much easier for me to come back here after college and find a new group of friends rather than hang out with the few people from high school who are still here.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)

User Tag List