Women of Color #11 - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1108 Old 01-01-2006, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

: : :Happy New Year Ladies : : :

(if anyone has a problem with me chaning mothers to women, let me know).

Our old thread can be found with this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 1108 Old 01-01-2006, 12:53 PM

Happy New Year!

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#3 of 1108 Old 01-01-2006, 01:57 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

#4 of 1108 Old 01-01-2006, 03:54 PM

afro.jpg
#5 of 1108 Old 01-01-2006, 11:52 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

May this new year bring all of us the blessing of peace in the world.

Take Care,
Erika :
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."
"Knowledge without compassion is useless"-SCW
"I am learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma"- Eartha Kitt

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."
#6 of 1108 Old 01-02-2006, 05:52 AM

Happy New Year everyone!
#7 of 1108 Old 01-02-2006, 12:15 PM

Happy New Year!

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#8 of 1108 Old 01-02-2006, 02:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any one here has made any New Year's resolutions that they would care to share? I'll start. I really want to be more physically active and fit this year. I also want to develop a new creative outlet(painting, writing, knitting, etc.)this year too.
OK, how about you?

Take Care,
Erika :

#9 of 1108 Old 01-02-2006, 05:25 PM

I'm told all the time I have a very colourful personality ..heehee, is this tribe for me?
#10 of 1108 Old 01-02-2006, 09:10 PM

hey all,

typing with a baby.

Peace adn love in 2006!
Joey
#11 of 1108 Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 PM

#12 of 1108 Old 01-03-2006, 05:45 PM

I just wanted to say Welcome to all of the new members that have join this thread!
This is a great group of women who are my family here at MDC. I hope that you feel at home here too.

Take Care,
Erika :

#13 of 1108 Old 01-03-2006, 09:58 PM

[COLOR=Indigo]Coming in from out of the cold figuratively!! Wishing a great and groovy year for all and hoping that all good things that we may have forgotten to wish for, makes their way to our doorstep.
#14 of 1108 Old 01-05-2006, 02:39 AM

Happy New Year!!! I'm new to this thread as well as the Mothering website. I'm exploring attatchment parenting. Expecting baby #2 in 6 weeks, so I want to do something different with him.
#15 of 1108 Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibaDiva73
Happy New Year!!! I'm new to this thread as well as the Mothering website. I'm exploring attatchment parenting. Expecting baby #2 in 6 weeks, so I want to do something different with him.
Welcome BibaDiva! How old is your first child? And what kinds of things do you want to do differently with your second?

Take Care,
Erika :

#16 of 1108 Old 01-05-2006, 11:39 AM

Welcome to the new members.

Only got a few minutes so just wanted to say a quick hello, I think I am coming down with a cold which sux for me. Hope everyone is enjoying their new year and is doing well. (that was a awkward sentence)

Shay

#17 of 1108 Old 01-05-2006, 01:57 PM

Welcome BibaDiva73, for some reason hearing about little ones coming always makes me smile and very happy; so thank you very much, this is a great way to start my cyberday.
Erika one of my goals this year is to be more active here at MDC and the other online group I belong to. I also want to start making my own face and body cleansers, toners and moisterizers. Painting is something I also want to explore with my children (I can hear lots of giggling and see alot of mess in my minds eye)
Shay I pray you get better soon winters colds are no fun.
#18 of 1108 Old 01-05-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaDP
Welcome BibaDiva! How old is your first child? And what kinds of things do you want to do differently with your second?

Take Care,
Erika :

My son is 2. And what I meant by doing things differently is to take a more natural/organic approach to his upbringing. I'm trying to do the same thing with my son as well, although he's alot more headstrong than I would like for him to be. Struggling with discipline right now-- so I went over to the Gentle Discipline section. Has anyone been there???? Anyway, I mainly want to explore the attatchment parenting thing-- I have a Maya wrap and a Native Baby sling, so I willsee how that goes. I'm getting into organic foods and recipes as well. I tried making my own baby food with my 2-year-old, but found that he only wanted what I was eating more. I still want to do more of that with this baby, so we will see.
#19 of 1108 Old 01-06-2006, 01:09 PM

A warm welcome to all our new members

Things here are going well. Ellington was having a major problem sleeping last week, luckily (or maybe not) it coincided with our vacation (from work, we didn't go anywhere) and he's basically back on track. Nola is very excited to turn 3 in March. She's been talking about it forever so hopefully the next couple of months will fly by for her

We are in the process of finding a preschool for her. I'm really excited for her because I really loved school, my friends teachers etc and hope she's in for the same positive experience.

Take Care
#20 of 1108 Old 01-06-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
My son is 2. And what I meant by doing things differently is to take a more natural/organic approach to his upbringing. I'm trying to do the same thing with my son as well, although he's alot more headstrong than I would like for him to be. Struggling with discipline right now-- so I went over to the Gentle Discipline section. Has anyone been there???? Anyway, I mainly want to explore the attatchment parenting thing-- I have a Maya wrap and a Native Baby sling, so I willsee how that goes. I'm getting into organic foods and recipes as well. I tried making my own baby food with my 2-year-old, but found that he only wanted what I was eating more. I still want to do more of that with this baby, so we will see.
Hi BibaDiva,

I want to start off my giving your two year old son a compliment. He is very smart to want to eat what you are eating It probably is great food!
But this is coming from someone who believes that all children should eat food that all of the family eats-no separate foods for the kiddies!
I also want to applaud you for wanting to go organic as much as you can. Only good things can come from that!
About your son being headstrong, Welcome to my world ! I had not 1 but 4 headstrong, lively, opinionated, loving, sweet, intelligent and challenging children. And I wouldn't trade them for the world! What we saw in them in their toddlerhood as headstrong, we nurtured, challenged and accepted in them knowing that those very qualities would serve them well later in their lives(particularly in their teen years!)if we took the time to help them learn to channel that energy positively. So try to find ways daily where your little guy can use his "strong ways" to help complete some part of a task and/or activity(make him the mail collector, recycle bin manager, etc). We found that if we gave each of my strong willed children responsibility for at least one task a day, they were able to focus a lot of that energy into that job.
And as far as the GD forums go, I haven't visited them in quite a while.
Maybe I should drop in for a chat soon?

Take Care,
Erika :

#21 of 1108 Old 01-06-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Welcome aboard!

afro.jpg
#22 of 1108 Old 01-06-2006, 07:21 PM

Erika I definitely second you on the no seperate food for kiddos. Our approach has always been to modify their meals when necessary but essentially everyone here eats the same meal. And that's excellent advice about channeling a toddler's energy

Nola is very much like I was as a child and I'm really fortunate that my parents and extended family really respected and admired my personality. They provided me with a really good template for dealing with my mini me

I take what is useful for myself and my family from the GD board and other places here and leave the rest.
#23 of 1108 Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia74
I take what is useful for myself and my family from the GD board and other places here and leave the rest.
The above quote is a great piece of advice Kia! Sometimes I need to be reminded of the "only take what you need, leave the rest" rule I have for myself here at MDC. It makes for a much happier member/poster.

Take Care,
Erika :

#24 of 1108 Old 01-06-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I had to start doing this because when Izzi was first born, I was going crazy trying to mold myself into super crunchy Mom and it wasn't working for me at all. Now I get what I need and it makes things so much easier. Trusting my instincts I had to remember that I have darn near raised 1 child without getting all caught up in being crunchy, though there are clearly aspects of my son's upbringing that lean heavily towards AP.

Shay

#25 of 1108 Old 01-07-2006, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hell ya.
#26 of 1108 Old 01-08-2006, 11:55 PM

Hey Everyone,

I had to buy some things today at the store and I had to write 2006 for the first time. It kind of freaked me out a bit! I just don't know where the time went, 2005 went by in a blur and it is already the second week in January!
Here's to trying to stop and smell the roses every now and again so that I don't feel so rushed in my life!

Take Care,
Erika :

#27 of 1108 Old 01-09-2006, 05:18 AM

Ok mamas, I've gotta ask... What do you take and what do you leave as far as gentle discipline? I know a lot of it is personal, situational and (should be) common sense, but I have to admit, I'm struggling in the discipline department. My problem is mainly being pulled between how *I* was raised and how I feel I *should* raise my girls. I was hit a lot due to anger and my grandmother's high stress levels, and that's not something I want to repeat with my kids, obviously. But it's almost ingrained in me to lash out when the girls make me angry -- I have to concentrate hard to not to hit them -- but damn, do I feel like smacking some butts when I have to ask something over and over and over... And with a 2 year old and a 3 year old, I have to ask them to do things A LOT. This isn't easy to admit, especially here on MDC, so please, hold the flames. Constructive criticism I can take, though.

Erika, I had to write a check last week and *almost* wrote '05 on it. It was weird writing '06, definitely! And to think, before we know it, we'll be in March or something with time going so fast.
#28 of 1108 Old 01-09-2006, 06:52 AM

Greetings All . . .

Hoping to join this group. I'm a SAHM (for the time-being--trained as an elementary school teacher) to my little boy who's 4 1/2 mos. old and I'm also married. We're trying to raise our ds all naturally as well --98% vegan/un processed, organic foods, locally grown (when possible) food, no vax, no circ . . . etc.

I too was thinking about the gentle discipline thing and trying to mediate between my upbringing and doing things more gently. In fact, I started a thread over there (on the GD board) to address the very topic. Here's the link: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=390612.

Anyway, nice to be here.

Blessed Love.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#29 of 1108 Old 01-09-2006, 09:28 AM

Mom2Alikat, I'm glad I read your sgnature line because b/c I had no idea as to who you were

Hugs to you. My kiddos are 20months apart and at 14 months and almost 3, I'm, in a similar boat.

I am beyond fortunate to have been raised in essentially an AP, GD household because that is where my mother's instincts and personality led her. No books, no web groups for support. She did her on thing in a non progressive place and cared less what anyone thought. With each passing phase in my life I realize what an important gift that was and continues to be

My temperment is similar to my mother's so yelling and spanking are not a part of my gut responses. I try to exhibit the behavior I want back, at this stage in my children's lives sometimes it works sometimes not. Having been rased this way, respected but fully believing that my parents were in charge (b/c after all they were paying the costs to be the boss, a price both emotionally and finacially I as a parent am only beginning to grasp) I'm confident that in the long run it will all turn out ok

For me it was vital to have a partner who was on the same page as far as raising children was concerneed. My husband is white, raised by an Italian mother who believed in a raised voice. I knew that I could not have that kind of chaos in my house. My husband is more prone to yelling than I but he definitely keeps it to a minimum. My father's family are yellers so anything would seem like a minimum
as compared to them
I've definitely got my own parenting issues, I'm a perfectionist with unrealistic expectations and a control streak. So my kids will have plenty to complain about I'm sure
#30 of 1108 Old 01-09-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta
Greetings All . . .

Hoping to join this group. I'm a SAHM (for the time-being--trained as an elementary school teacher) to my little boy who's 4 1/2 mos. old and I'm also married. We're trying to raise our ds all naturally as well --98% vegan/un processed, organic foods, locally grown (when possible) food, no vax, no circ . . . etc.

I too was thinking about the gentle discipline thing and trying to mediate between my upbringing and doing things more gently. In fact, I started a thread over there (on the GD board) to address the very topic. Here's the link: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=390612.

Anyway, nice to be here.

Blessed Love.
Welcome. I have seen your postings on other threads so it's good to see you over here. Looking forward to getting to know you better.
Back later to post more.
Lisa

afro.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page