Crunchy (or semi-crunchy!) and living in the burbs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-06-2006, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! DH and I just put an offer on our first home, and I'm thrilled with everything except that it is in the burbs- in an older planned community.

It's in Wilsonville, OR, and a very nice neighborhood- near elementary schools (great field and playground), parks, a river, etc. and 5 minutes from both my parents and grandma. That is the main reason we are compromising on our desire for a more eclectic neighborhood- we're expecting our 1st babe in March, and want to be close to the family in the first few years. We only expect that we'll be here 5 years or so, then will reevaluate things. But the proximity to family... well, it's really nice. And it has a GORGOUS kitchen!

And really it's 25 minutes from Portland. That's not bad! I just hope I'm not the only CDing BFing mama on the block.

SO, anyone else out there live in a more conservative-feeling type of community? Got any words of wisdom? Tell me how great it is and that it will SOOOOOO be worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-06-2006, 02:06 PM

I live in the Burbs-ish. I wouldn't really call where I live the Burbs, but it isn't crunchy either. I would assume that you aren't the only crunchmaster in the area and start putting out feelers over the internet. Since moving here in August, I have met three families here in the immediate area, and about ten more in the city just beyond.
#3 of 13 Old 01-06-2006, 02:57 PM

I'm definitely in the burbs/small town. I've made most of my "crunchy" connections through the internet, even those that are local. I have also met people though my midwife, through my doula training and work, and through keeping my eyes open for cloth diapers and breastfeeding babes.

My neighbor does breastfeed her children, but we really don't have anything in common, so we don't spend much time together.

I do wish I could live in a commune of like minded parents, or in an urban setting with a bit more acceptance of natural parenting, but it isn't going to happen, so I don't sweat it.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#4 of 13 Old 01-06-2006, 03:29 PM

I definitely live in the burbs. My local grocery store parking lot is full of minivans, SUV's and BMW's. When I had my first baby I went to providence's new mom's group and ended up in a playgroup with 3 mom's in my neighborhood and they are all crunchy to semi-crunchy! I think that you'd be surprised by who is hiding out in your area just waiting for a crunchy friend!
#5 of 13 Old 01-06-2006, 04:03 PM

ellie:

we live out in the 'burbs/ almost rural land, and our son was almost 8 months old when i finally met some local more crunchy mamas i could relate to. prior to that, my other mama friends were from my mdc due date club here (conveniently, 4 of us live in the portland area) and other mamas from mdc in the local area. also, before our son could sit up, we were much more social with our pre-kid friends and i could just pack him around in the sling without much worry.

there are a few yahoogroups for ap/ natural living families. i will pm their names to you and you can check them out.

~claudia

p.s. i got a call from kim & andrew thanking me for referring you to them. glad you liked them and hope everything with your home purchase continues to go smoothly.
#6 of 13 Old 01-06-2006, 06:46 PM

Hi Ellie,
I live in Wilsonville! Well, actually about 5 miles west of town out in the country, but we consider Wilsonville "our" town, even though we're about equal distance to Newberg/Sherwood. Anyway, we've lived here about 3 years and I really like it, it feels more small town to me than 'burbs. And it really isn't far to drive to the conveniences of bigger areas or to Portland, if that's your thing. When your babe arrives, there is a very friendly playgroup that meets on Wednesdays, open to anyone. I'm one of the crunchier moms, I think, but there are lots of moms who bf (their little ones, at least) and I've never heard anyone talk about CIO or spanking.

Feel free to pm me if you want to meet or chat! What neighborhood is your new house in?

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#7 of 13 Old 01-06-2006, 06:53 PM

I'm in the burbs too (Beaverton). I don't think it's *that* bad to be honest, as other posters have said it's close to Portland, and even suburbia around here is far more eco and crunchy than other places I've lived. Of course, I'm expecting my first in May and haven't gotten into all the playgroups, etc. yet, so we'll see. I have a feeling that I may wind up going to more city-based stuff just because it's actually easier for me to get to on Tri-Met as opposed to suburban meetings.

Congrats on the house!
#8 of 13 Old 01-06-2006, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

That is so great to hear! I will look forward to joining the play group after our little one is born, or just to meet for coffee or something!

The neighborhood is Fox something, it's south of Wilsonville Road on the west side of I-5. In the housing area south of the Elementary and Middle school on that road... does that make sense? Seems like a nice neighborhood, my grandma just moved to a residential facitily on the loop in Wilsonville (love that Thriftway there!), and my parents live just one exit south.

Well, we accepted their counter offer, so my fingers are crossed that the inspection will go well. The insane part of it all is that while we close February 10, we are letting them rent it back until their house is built- probably at the end of February. BUT their counter offer says they can stay until March 12... our due date is March 8! Yes, we're a bit nuts.

Anyhow, thanks for all the replies, I'm really excited, and glad to hear encouragement that I will be able to find other like-minded mamas!
#9 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 12:05 AM

Yes, I know where you're talking about. That's a nice area because it is right on the edge of the urban growth boundary, and that huge field & hazelnut orchard immediately next to the elementary school was recently made a Metro open space - so the neighborhood is protected from further development for a while.

Hope all goes well with the inspection. Buying a house is such a stressful process!

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#10 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 02:50 AM

I just moved to a neighborhood that borders up to a lot of farmland (Nampa) and I feel like my crunchiness is just starting to rear it's natural little head. I'm not as vocal about it yet, because most of the mama's here seem to get induced, have epidurals, and formula feed. Well, I do see a lot of breastfeeding, but I also see a lot of bottles, not so much NIP. I think I once saw a mama with a baby in a Bjorn carrier at the store. My last two babies were born in Southern California, outside of LA proper but still a big place (Magic Mountain territory). Mama's NIP'd all over the place there and I loved it! Way crunchier place to live than here. I'd wager to use the term "redneck" out here, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone. You know, the gun rack in the window beat up pick up trucks with feathered haired gals sitting in the middle while her cowboy hat clad man drives with one hand on the wheel and the other around her? I'm not saying it's bad...I don't want to offend, it's just what I see here. Everywhere. And how weird is it that I see more smoking here than in Cali? Maybe because people in Cali are health nuts right along with being generally crunchy. I do miss the lack of smoking. But not the earthquakes.

Again, I'm still nervous to talk to other mama's about my choices...how I use a Diva cup and am trying cloth postpartum pads this time around, how I'm researching a delayed and stretched out vax schedule, I homeschool (though I have found a lot of curiosity with that one, Idaho is a great state to homeschool) and how I'm having this baby in a birth center with a midwife. But maybe if I get brave and start chatting up my decisions the closet cruchies will come out of hiding.

Oh, and did I mention that most of the inhabitants of my particular neighborhood are older retired couples? Not very many young families. But across the street is a more "starter home" kind of neighborhood and that's where most of the other young moms from my church live.

I'm sorry, what was the original question?

Hi, I'm new to these boards and am going a bit stir crazy waiting for Baby #4 to appear. 38 weeks today.
#11 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Right about to do the same thing! Can't afford to live in the eclectic parts of the city that I really love...we are looking at houses this week.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#12 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 05:11 AM

Hey mama, I'm in Woodburn. There's not too much crunchiness here. I notice a lot of the women bottle feed. There are some though that I have seen nip at walmart and she was wearing a sling!

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#13 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 10:56 PM

Hi Ell-Bell,

It's Nadine! I just started reading and posting on MDC. I had signed up a long time ago, but just kind of lurked. I know I already gave you my opinions about living in the burbs. We live in Tigard, and I don't see much crunchiness around me. I did go to the new baby group at Good Sam after my daughter was born and met some other mommas. You can go to their group no matter where your babe is born. I found an awesome playgroup there, but there's only one other semi cruncher in the group. I nursed in public all the time anyway, but I haven't seen much of it either. I got a few weird looks but I figured I was doing them a service by exposing them to bf'ing. I agree with what everybody else said about putting out some feelers and you'll find some like minded mommy friends. Good luck with the house. It is quite the process getting everything squared away.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page