We want to move to Missoula, Montana - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-04-2003, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never been there, but have fallen in love from a distance. We are currently living in Monte Vista, CO, part of a very isolated, conservative, mountain valley in Southern Colorado. It is beautiful, but not for us. We would eventually love to live in the country (mountains) outside of a small town, outside of Missoula, but will likely start by moving into a house or trailer in or near Missoula.

I know Montana has very homeschooling-friendly laws (right?), and Missoula has a LLL, a UU church, gorgeous mountains, lots of hiking for me and fishing for DH, and many cultural opportunities to enhance homeschooling. We hve built this place up to be our hippie haven... The big town we want to live near, but (eventually) not in.

For those who are familiar with the area, I have some questions...

~DH is a skilled carpenter (from massive furniture to crafts and toys) and cabinet maker, who is also makes beautiful log furniture. He is an excellent construction worker, too, but prefers carpentry or a shop job. Is this a very big area of employment?
what is the employment rate like in general?

~What small towns surrounding Missoula are the best? Pretty (gotta have trees), hippie-friendly, not too expensive...

~We would be looking for something as cheap as possible, as we are going to get rid of as much as possible before moving. We would really like to live beneath our means (hard to do) in order to save up money for land later. Fixer-uppers are ideal, as DH can do a lot of improvements and we could make money on the resale. What are the chances of us finding something for $50,000 or less? 2br/1 bath ok. edited to add that a 1br/1ba for even cheaper would be fine, too, as we could add on bedrooms for value. (And we are living in one room right now, so it wouldn't be a big adjustment.) The only thing on realtor.com under $70K right now is a house in Drummond, and I don't think Drummond would suit us very well.

~If you've been to LLL or the UU church, I'd love your impressions.

~Any other words on the topic are most welcome.

We have a contract on a house here in CO right now, but if this one falls through, too (this is NOT the first), we will be looking to move in the early summer instead of in 3 years as we had previously planned. IF we can find something there.

I can't wait to learn more about Missoula from someone who knows it!
#2 of 24 Old 02-04-2003, 03:55 PM

Whit-

hello from missoula!!!
i'm not sure I can answer all your questions, but i'll give it a whirl.

there are lots of homeschoolers here, so the laws must be pretty friendly (my dd is 4mo. and i work and love my spanish immersion parent co-op preschool-5th grade, so i'm not real knowledgeable on homeschools)

Missoula isn't really that big (50,000) and there is a wonderful sense of community, but there are nice small towns around too. perhaps florence,stevensville or hamilton.

there is lots of work in log homes, and i know many crafters who work for themselves, too. in general, missoula is filled with over-educated, under-paid people who make that sacrifice to live here.

houses are expensive here...i'm not sure how much help i can be in that dept. we live in the city and walk and bike, but maybe on the north side you will find something.

lll meetings are great, usually lots of turnout... i don't know what uu church is

let me know if i can be of any more help... i think you've made a great choice in missoula. i've been here for 8 years and love it.

meagen
#3 of 24 Old 02-04-2003, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

So, housing in Missoula is expensive, huh? Not the best of news... Do you know if it is the same in the surrounding small towns or are we more likely to find affordable housing there?

We are used to being overeducated (me) and underpaid (dh), so that is nothing new. As long as we can afford to live our simple lives and pay the bills without a lot of stress, then we are happy.
#4 of 24 Old 02-04-2003, 04:10 PM

while dh finishes school, we live on 30 hrs/week and loans and get by...

we bought our house for 90,000 its 2b/1ba and in a good neighborhood...the surrounding towns are alot cheaper, lots of commuters
#5 of 24 Old 02-24-2003, 01:31 PM

Hey I'm so glad to see this thread, cause I came here to start one mentioning most of the exact same things. Dh and I are planning a big trip out there this summer and we have a really good friend that finds this area to be a very wonderful (and powerful) place. We were actually looking at land on the net yesterday and found some pretty cheap parcles (if you don't mind a commute to Missoula or one of the other bigger towns and some cheap homes(like even a $15,000 one that needs TLC, and my Dh is a carpenter too so maybe that is the way to go) it was in ... oh I can't remember now, but we were looking at some great pieces of land in Seeley Lake, Superior and a few other towns I just can't remember right now. Do you know anything about them meagen??? And the other question I had is I heard that in Cor d'Alane (sp??) Idaho is the headquarters of the Arian Nation (kinda scary)??? Is this true, and if so do those with that kind of philosophy on life migrate down toward Missoula and the surrounding areas??? and how are the small towns outside of Missoula ~like I live in a very small town 30 miles outside of Taos NM (so Whit, you and I are pretty close, so funny we are looking to do the same thing!!! Dh and i really want to be in the trees and out of the dry lands) and it is full of hippies and other earthy type folks (hate to generalize, but sometimes, I guess it helps), is Missoula and the small towns there similar???? Oh, and how is rent???, and jobs??? We are also used to not making much money living in an expensive place, but such is life when you want to live in a rural, wonderful, highly prized location!!!! Any info would be helpful ~ it is nice to hear from someone that already lives there.

Oh, and a UU church is Unitarian Universalist ~ we too are looking for the same thing!!!!!

#6 of 24 Old 02-24-2003, 05:31 PM

Welcome in advance to Missoula. I think you will be pleasantly suprised with Seely Lake, and I hear Superior is beautiful as well, never been there... all these towns are very small, I would guess about 1000 tops. CourD'Alene is about 2 hours away and an amazing place of beauty. As far as the arians go, we certainly have not had any problems here with them...in the past 8 years, we had one pamphlet left on our door, but that's it. Really though, I would guess that would happen anywhere there is a variety of people. The small towns are less liberal, but MANY people commute, so there is always the group of earthy types . Rent in Missoula is pretty high (750.00 or so for 2bed, 1bath) and jobs are sometimes hard to find. What seems to work for most is to freelance (carpentry, right?) or be creative in what you do. But like I said before,it's worth it!!!! There is a UU church, I don't know how it is, as I have never gone. Good luck in your discovery vacation. If I can be of more help, let me know.
#7 of 24 Old 02-25-2003, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by meagen
...and jobs are sometimes hard to find.
<fingers in ears (or eyes, I guess> LALALALALA, I don't wanna hear it!

Pottermamma-- When will y'all be visiting there? How long will you stay? We are definitely moving to the area, and will be visiting in mid-May on the way back from visiting my mom in WA.

That's cool our situations are so similar... Carpenter DH's, relocating from and to the same areas, and even the UU church! I think this is a sign we need to get to know each other better.

I highly recommend checking out www.missoulian.com for jobs and real estate. And it's a good way to get a feel for the area.

When do you plan to move there?
#8 of 24 Old 02-25-2003, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the info meagen and Whit, isn't it so wild that our situations are SO similar!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info especially on Cor D'A lene, Dh and I were looking into moving that way a few years ago cause the town just looked beautiful, but then my friend who was originally from that area said, watch out, I don't think you guys would really want to live there. And, it was my biggest draw back to the whole area that folks with that type of view point most likely didn't isolate themselves to just Cor D"Alene???!!! So, Glad to know that you haven't really seen much in that way of discrimination. My friend said also that Missoula is not the same way and actually ,a t the time, recommended that we move to that neck of the woods, so I'm glad to hear the same thing from you. Have you been to Kalispel (sp??) Dh and I are going to spend a few days at Glacier when we are up there, just wondering what you think.
Whit, we are planning our trip for July and will be gone for about 2 weeks. We are going to drive the back roads up the rockies until we get to Glacier, all the while just exploring the forest and parks throughout the area (we are big wilderness/forest junkies!!!!!). We have been getting really excited though, and actually planned the trip just to get away, not thinking we might like to move there until a week or two ago, just looking at the land and what not. It just seems so beautiful, and wetter than o ur neck of the woods ya know (and I am really getting down on the dry aspect of life here, although I just love Taos, but we can not afford the kind of land we want here). We won't be able to plan a move very well though since we own our own home, and we did have it on the marked prior to Ds's birth 2 yrs ago and it didn't go anywhere (we are 30 miles outside of Taos, we haul water and do rain water collection, so, it is one of those properties that takes that special person to buy it KWIM!!). SO as far as setting a moving date, who knows, a lot of pieces have to come together to make that all happen, but both of us want mountain land and it is really affordable in Montana, compared to the rest of the places we've looked anyway. Missoula sounds really great though, a lot like Taos in the area of good employment ( I guess I should say non-existant good employment!!!) etc. HOw funny that both Dhs are carpenters too huh!! And my Dh is just beginning to get into woodworking. He bought a bunch of equiptment about 1 1/2 yrs go, but then last summer he put a 550 sqft addition on the house himself, so that put a bit of a damper on his crafty plans!!!!!!
I'd love to hear more about the area, whatever info you have. We are hoping to spend a day or so in Missoula and surrounding towns to take a look at land, just get a feel for the area too so any ideas would be really helpful ~ like good places to go eat or play, oh, hey do you have a health foods store there? How are the prices, and the produce, mostly organic??? When are you guys planing to move Whit? Are you mostly looking right in Missoula for property or all around? Thanks for that link too, I'll definately check it out!!!!!! And I totally agree, must be a sign, it has been a long time since I've found someone with THAT much in common with me!!!

#9 of 24 Old 02-26-2003, 01:27 AM

Kalispell is nice, I've only driven through there,never stayed. Glacier is amazing!! You will love it up there.
As far as Missoula goes, there's lots to do with kids. the carousel is a big hit with a community-built park next to it. The farmer's markets are great (sat am &tues pm) in the summer, we're surrounded by 3 rivers, so lots of floating and fishing, hiking trails everywhere, and on good years, rain!!!!! We have some good restaurants, Sushi Hana is my fav., Tipu's Tiger has tons of veetarian options, and (big suprise) lots of steak houses. We have 2 health food stores, the prices are pretty reasonable, but the farmer's market is where to go for produce and breads. It's just such a great community, you'll love it.
#10 of 24 Old 02-26-2003, 03:15 AM

Guess what?? Another family here considering Montana for relocation.....and my dh is a carpenter too! The funny thing is we are also considering CO and NM.

We're travelling to MT in a few weeks, to Bozeman actually, how does that compare to Missoula? We have friends there who also relocated from IL.

It sounds absolutely wonderful in MT, the only things that worry me are employment (naturally), homeschooling climate there, and just how harsh are the winters???? A friend of mine said winter is long, but very pleasant, compared to humid IL.

I'm also interested in UU churches and availability of organics. One other concern is diversity.....we are a cauc. family but will be adopting a Chinese girl next year. Would a mixed race family be accepted readily? Are there many Asians in the area?

Thanks, any info. is greatly appreciated.

Katie
#11 of 24 Old 03-01-2003, 12:05 PM

Actually, for being MT< we have quite a large asian population here. I personally know a few families that have adopted Chinese girls, then we have many university students, and also there is a huge Hmong population here too!

Bozeman is a nice town, not a liberal and earthy as Missoula, (alot more cowboys! but a very nice town. also, the winters are harsher there, they are higher up than we are. Usually our winters have lows in the teens, highs in the 30's and once or twice, we dip low with lows in the negatives and highs in the single digits. that doesn't usually last that long, though. the rough part is in March and you really are ready for spring and it is still snowing, or it warms up and then gets cold again. a few years ago, we had about 8in of snow on June 5th! however, that is not usually the case Really, the worst part about winter is when you don't see the sun. that happens often in the winter. but really, it sounds worse than it is!
#12 of 24 Old 03-20-2003, 02:18 PM

Hey Meagen, I thought of another question for ay in our exploration of Montana!!! I was wondering how people get to see you by air??? Our families both live in PA and would have to fly out to see us, and there doesnt' seem to be an airport very close by??? What do you guys do????
#13 of 24 Old 03-20-2003, 06:44 PM

pottermama-

we do have an airport here in missoula, although not real large. northwest, delta, united, big sky and horizon fly in and there is no such thing as a direct flight unless you are going to salt lake, minneapolis, etc.
dh's family is from pa too! they usually fly in on northwest, sometimes delta. tickets are usually around 350, sometime more, rarely less. that is a real frustrating thing about mt. however, if you are up for a drive, spokane is 3 hrs away and they have southwest, which is alway cheap and worth the drive as long as it's not winter
also, in my case it's good that it's not any cheaper to fly in or the in-laws would come every month!
#14 of 24 Old 03-24-2003, 01:37 PM

Thanks again Meagen ~ Dh and I were feeling a bit
guilty should we choose +to c+ome out that way it is already difficult enough to get to our house in Taos, let alone how it seemed out there ~ and expensive too!!!! How funny your in-laws are from PA too ~ where are they from?? Dh is from Yardley (outside of Phillie) and I am from Williamsport ~ we met at Pitt ~ so we are deeply connected to PA, although we know we could never move back and live there.
I really appreciate you willingness to share info ~ Dh applied for a job in Glacier and two others in Kalispell (sp?) so I guess ya never know where we'll end up!!!!!!

Thanks again
#15 of 24 Old 06-19-2003, 01:55 AM

edit
#16 of 24 Old 06-24-2003, 12:09 PM

HI stirringleaf!!!! Unfortunately I am not a potter ~ I got married a month before becoming a member here and was feeling very happy with my new name, since it was finally the same as Ds and Dh's. I have always wanted to learn though, but have yet to find the time!!!
We are leaving in about a week for our trip out there. I will definately stop by the health foods store you mentioned, sounds lovely!!!!
That playground sounds great too ~ can you possibly tell us where to find it??? We are traveling all back roads and want to do things like this with DS to break up the driving a bit!!!
From what we have seen, land isn't bad outside of Missoula, and we wouldn't want to live right in town anyway, but that is what makes me worry about the element of discrimination or just back woods mentality for lack of better words (I grew up with this but am looking to avoid it as much as possible). Dh will build the house for us and we are looking to be in more of the mountains ~ so the Kallispell area is very appealing to us right now ~ not sure how that will all go once we actually see the area with our own eyes though!!!!
Thanks for all the info you shared!!!
#17 of 24 Old 06-25-2003, 02:08 AM

edit
#18 of 24 Old 06-25-2003, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info and the links!!! Really helpful!!!! How crazy to have a campground by train tracks ~ those two don't really seem to go together!!!
We are only camping in Glacier and we have a hotel for a night in Whitefish. We are looking into the whole area up there so the info on Kallispell is good.
Thanks again for the help. We are really excited to visit your neck of the woods!!!!!
#19 of 24 Old 07-05-2003, 10:21 PM

Hi Whit, I am also from Missoula. Missoula is one of the nicest towns I have ever visited or lived in. It is true jobs can be hard to find but carpentry is a great skill because the area is growing so fast, new developments are popping up all over the place. As for towns around missoula, I would recomend going south toward Hamilton. There seems to be more alternative minded people going in that direction rather than West toward Superior, or East toward Drummond. LL is great in missoula, and a great place to meet other like minded moms. The recreational opportunities around here are great. Housing is very expensive here, we are looking to buy a two bedroom house, and it seems like the going price for a two bedroom with any kind of yard is 130 to 140 thousand dollars. Hope you can come and visit soon. Another thing I love about Missoula is the great Downtown. take care.... Alder
#20 of 24 Old 07-07-2003, 11:19 AM

Hello everyone in MT. I just had to post a reply to say I'm so jelouse of all of you who live in Missoula. I grew up there and in surrounding towns and boy do I miss it. Unfortanatly I'm stuck in Louisiana trying to talk my husband into moving sometime in the future. I really miss all of the outdoor activities and surprisingly the weather It's really hot and humid here lol.. My Grandma and Uncle lives in Seely lake and I'm hoping to visit them in a year or too and I am pretty convinsed my dh will fall in love with the town. My dh is a Hooters manager and unfortunatly since they dont have one there no chance in a tranfer As long as I get there eventually I'll be happy.

Take care,
#21 of 24 Old 07-21-2003, 10:59 AM

So ~ we are back from our trip and we LOVE northwestern Montana!!!!! Glacier was SOOOo beautiful, we didn't want to leave. We spent the day in Whitefish and fell in love!!!! Missoula was a blast too. DS had a great time on the merry go round ~ but it was REALLY fast!!!! The playground they have built by it is sooo cool, DS reallyl had a good time exploring the whole thing!!!! And the Good food store was filled with so much good food ~ and great prices ~ you all are so lucky to have such a great establishment in your town!!!!!!
The thing that really struck us, and this was everywhere in MT, the people are so kind and friendly!!!! We had some car trouble in MT and ended up having to get the car towed in Helena and had to spend 2 unplanned nights there, everyone was so sweet. We had to hit another garage in Missoula and these guys were awesome (it was the Goodyear Tire Factory, they do regular mechanic work too and the guys were so knowledgable, so if anyone needs a new mechanic I 'd definately recommend them).
SUCH A GREAT PLACE ~ we'll see ya all when our house sells (send lots of quick selling vibes PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!!)
#22 of 24 Old 07-21-2003, 07:01 PM

hmmm
#23 of 24 Old 07-22-2003, 11:16 AM

He stirringleaf, no he wasn't too scared, although poor thing did look really surprised. The only problem was that he had on some pants that are pretty smooth and so he was wobbling from one side to another. Dh nor I got on with him cause he rode one in Helena and he wanted to go on by himself (that one was a bit slower and he had on shorts) so he wanted to do this one on his own too. There was a really sweet lady there from the staff that hopped up when she saw him wobbling and held on to him, so that was great!!!! He really had fun though and after he played on the castle (he was eyeing that up before we even got on the merry go round) he asked to go again. I really think that is a great thing to have in your town though, and seeing the wood carving of the horses in the back room there was pretty neat also!!!!!!
#24 of 24 Old 03-07-2004, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, it's been more than a year since I started this thread and we still aren't in Montana!

We tried to coordinate a move there, but we just didn't have quite enough money to fund both the move and a house, and there really wasn't much on the market. We had to move (we'd already sold our house), so we moved to a different part of Colorado and bought a fixer-upper. We've fixed it up nicely and are looking to move again (hopefully to MT) in 1.5-2 years.

However, we are coming for a visit very soon. We will be in Missoula from April 6-10. I can't wait! Since we've never actually been to Missoula, we are incredibly excited to check it out for ourselves and see if we still feel the pull that we do now. I would love to get together for a playdate while we're there, and I know my kids would love it. Missoulians, PM me if you're interested.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page