Moms of Messy Houses Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I know there has to be more people like me out there! I would say my house is fairly messy. I do just very minimal cleaning. There is clutter everywhere, and I don't care (it rhymes!). I just feel like spending time with my family is more important. Of course, I could be cleaning instead of reading a million books, or being on MDC, but where's the fun in that? That said, My house is not nasty though. I mean, no roaches or anything like that. Like I said, we do minimal cleaning. Dishes, make bed, wash clothes and put them away, take out trash. Every now and then we sweep and mop, but not very often. And we have so much stuff in our tiny apartment (we live in family dorms!!) that everything is like clutter central!

Ok, come on out mommas! Let me know you're here!

Feel free to share what your cleaning does or doesn't entail!

aknit.gif trekkie.gif mama to DS reading.gif and DD energy.gif autismribbon.gif  

#2 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 12:54 PM

I'm here too! and it looks like we are probably neighbors!
maybe it is a Cincinnati thing?

cluttered house, messy momma, my life is a wreck but oh well!

The floors get swept and vacummed because my son tracks cereal everywhere, but i do not believe in mkaing my bed all the time. It iwll just get messy again tonight! :

Amy
#3 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 12:56 PM

Our house is pretty awful right now... but weve all been fighting a cold for the past week. I cant even seem to get up the motivation to start cleaning because stuff is everywhere! But yes.... its pretty clean underneath everything!
In the summer things get pretty crazy becase we are outside so much. Garden dirt gets tracked in everywhere... all the sinks and tub are lined with it too.Lots of things are left where they were ... abandoned for some outside time.
In the winter though, because our house is pretty tiny, I try to keep it uncluttered and tidy for my own sanity!We live in a small community... people always drop by unannounced. I am too embarrassed to invite anyone in. A little clutter goes a long way in this house!

:
#4 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 12:58 PM

I dont know how anyone can keep up with young children in the house without having hired help! If I let things go for a day even it takes me two just to catch up!

:
#5 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 01:00 PM

Here with two kids (6 and 2), two working parents we only really get to it on the weekend.

We have visitors on Thursday though, so it will be a long evening of cleaning today and tomorrow.
#6 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

all you messy mommas! I knew you were out there somewhere!

the clutter doesn't bother me as much as the dishes do, but we don't have a dishwasher right now, so I have to do them by hand which is nearly impossible with my new little crawler! So we usually have a pile of dishes waiting to be washed. *sigh* oh well, such is the life of a momma, right?

#7 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 01:17 PM

ok you found me!

My house is a mess, and I just don't try anymore. Because when I exhaust myself to get it clean, all of in gets undone with in an hour.

I have 4 kids, 2 who are very capable of helping, but I can't get them to.

I would love to find a way to have a somewhat presentable house, mainly so I dont have the fear of someone dropping by unannounced.
I don't want to be obsessive compulsive, just a little order would be nice.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#8 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybw
I'm here too! and it looks like we are probably neighbors!
maybe it is a Cincinnati thing?

Amy
Must be! Messy Cincinnatians Unite!

#9 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 01:49 PM

Yep, that would be me too.. But I'm in CA. My house isn't gross, just really cluttered. I'm not sure what to do w/all the stuff we have and we're all slobs. Sad, really. LOL.

Janice, car seat tech, wife to M since 7/99, mom to C since 4/02 and S since 12/09
#10 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 01:53 PM

My house isn't gross but I've got a high needs hyperactive 2 year old and a new born and am disabled LOL!! Needless to say we have our share of clutter
#11 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 02:02 PM

LOL....My house is a mess right now too. Every single toy has been dumped out of the bins...even the ones that arent in rotation right now...and have been strewn throughout the house. I also have about 5 loads of wash to fold, and some child decided they would wash the bathroom mirror with a wet bar of soap. What is worse...my sisters are totally OCD about keeping a clean house....and I evidently missed that gene. I live in fear of them dropping by unannounced...
#12 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
My house is a mess right now too. Every single toy has been dumped out of the bins...even the ones that arent in rotation right now...and have been strewn throughout the house.
LOL!! We have that! I always tell Freja the Toybox has the flu
#13 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 02:18 PM

We live with my MIL in a house that my dh's ancestors built in 1806. The whold family for generations have been pack-rats. I have ANTIQUE clutter! Count me in.

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
#14 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 02:22 PM

Maybe you should cash in on that Antique clutter
#15 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 04:13 PM

Oh, I belong here. I am so totally not cut out for housekeeping. I hate it, and I will do anything at all to avoid it. I do the minimum necessary to keep the place within the standard of "livable" but that's really as far as I'm willing to go. Every few months I'll get sick of the mess and go on a cleaning binge, and then it's right back to the daily mess again. Luckily for me, DH is usually good for a few hours housework on the weekends, and he does the dishes at night. I'm trying to get more energetic about housework, because I want to set a good example for DD, but really there are so many more interesting ways that I could spend my time that I rarely get around to cleaning.

I wish my clutter was antique clutter. That at least sounds interesting. Mine is just plain old ordinary clutter. Truthfully, though, I kinda like my clutter. It's comforting to me to be surrounded by my crap. Makes me feel at home. I'm always a little disturbed by homes with children in them that are really really clean.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#16 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 07:02 PM

I read an article in the American Prospect last month that said our houses are messy because we're feminists! Yay, messy house women!
#17 of 112 Old 02-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Fay

My mom used to wear a t-shirt that had her motto: "Dull women have immaculate homes." I also live by that motto.

Right now the clutter is driving me crazy, though. DH has been doing less and less of his share around the house...and I'm more and more freaked out about turning into a pack-rat/hoarder like my parents and sister. But I have to say that it is a joy to see the living room filled with toys and a trail of play-dough crumbs leading to DS's little desk.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#18 of 112 Old 02-22-2006, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsmama
Must be! Messy Cincinnatians Unite!
Oh how funny, me too! Except my MIL lives in Cincinnati too and she's a total neat freak so I can't use the regional excuse I'm in my living room right now, and there is folded laundry on the couch, a binder and some books on the coffee table, a coffee cup, a camera, a pattern, a pair of socks and a candle on one end table...and my slippers and shoes on the floor. This is perfectly okay with me. My house is almost always messy, but I clean it so it's not gross (except the dishes...it's DH's chore and he sometimes puts it off for a few days...ugh).

I just have too many more interesting and fun things to do! And the mess doesn't bother me as long as it's not too bad--i can deal with a little clutter, I can't deal with stuff everywhere or I get stressed out.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#19 of 112 Old 02-23-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisteal
Maybe you should cash in on that Antique clutter
that, of course assumes that they will let me! And, it really isn't worth anything.

There are two magnets on the back of my stove (circa 1975). they are dogs, kinda cute. I mention, just MENTION moving them somewhere else so they don't get greasy and it's like I suggested they dig up grandma! "Those were grandma's magnets! They have ALWAYS been there!"

Now THAT'S determination!

#20 of 112 Old 02-23-2006, 12:51 AM

This is what I tell people: "Ordinary people have dust bunnies; my dust bunnies have pets!"

I just have different priorities, I guess. Dusting isn't high on my list. Playing with my kids is!

#21 of 112 Old 02-23-2006, 08:43 PM

Yay! Other people's houses are messy too! I always feel much more at ease in somebody else's house if they have a bit of a mess. My house isn't disgusting. I try to keep the dishes done, but if a day goes by and I don't touch them oh well. I keep the bathroom pretty clean I think. I have lots of clutter though. Especially my sewing/crafting stuff. I just can't get rid of pretty things that are destined to wind up in some beautiful creation. If I spent all of my time cleaning my house, I wouldn't have time to sew and read and email and all that. I go crazy every few months and clean everything and give a bunch of stuff to salvation army or freecycle it. I tried that FlyLady b.s. a couple years ago and it drove me nuts. I like to have a routine though of just the minimum so I'm not mortified if people drop by.

My grandma and my mom are awful packrats though. My grandma can only live in a small portion of her house because the rest is packed with stuff, plus she rents a storage space for even more. I think that is verging on mental illness and I wish I could help her. She complains that she doesn't have a sewing space, but she won't get rid of anything. I'll never get like that!
#22 of 112 Old 02-23-2006, 08:50 PM

Rock on! A tribe I can get down with! I look forward to reading the replies before mine. Ahhh....mamas like me!
My bedroom is a disaster. Clothes piles on all sides of the bed! I use the bathroom in there (its tiny) as a clothes hamper. I'm only half-ashamed to admit that My front room, the first thing you see when you walk in, is littered with toys and paper and yes, there is a laundry basket in there on the futon (at least it's clean laundry!) My kitchen: the counters and sink are clean but the floor is a mess. For a change you can see the floor in our living room/playroom downstairs. It probably won't last long. CLeaning house? That's what I do when company is coming over I could get the house presentable, all the way through, in an hour or so. Maybe two hours if I have to stop and nurse baby or change him. There's almost no point in cleaning -- the older two destroy it in minutes. Sometimes I make the bed just so it can be a peaceful island in the insanity. Yes, my house is a mess. And I even invited people over to it on Monday...knowing that I will be gone Saturday and Sunday and my DH will be gone tomorrow, so there's no time to clean it. I'm insane! I like this tribe!

ETA: *sniffle* Read the replies. I so belong here!! *sniffle*

Namaste, Tara
#23 of 112 Old 02-24-2006, 08:31 PM

Yes!!!!! I am normal!!! My mom's house is so immaculate, growing up we had weekly chores and I really did a good job at keeping the house clean (except for my bedroom). In college I lived with a couple of neat freak girls and I considered myself a pretty clean person. Looking back on it now, I know that I was just living a lie DH claims that he is neat and tries to blame the mess on me, but I'm sorry, I'm not the only one who lives in this house. I'm not the only one who uses the dishes. And since when is it my job to cook dinner AND clean the dinner dishes with not even an offer to help out? So I've pretty much stopped cleaning up after him. We have clothes piled all over our room. There are dishes from last nights dinner still on the counter. There is a sewing project that I started a month ago still waiting to be finished. There is clean laundry from a few days ago piled in the living room waiting to be folded, oh and the cat is sleeping on top of it all I have a million girl scout cookies in the office that need to be given out. My toilets haven't been scrubbed in a month and my kitchen floor is gross to walk on barefoot because the crumbs stick to the bottom of your feet. Man we are freakin slobs!!! But like the rest of you said, I would so much rather sit with my 8 month old and sing songs than make my bed and dust my entertainment center...

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#24 of 112 Old 02-25-2006, 12:00 AM

My house looks like it just threw up. Actually, it throws up daily. It's not too hard to clean up tho, I just need inspiration, like company or something.
#25 of 112 Old 02-25-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid
I read an article in the American Prospect last month that said our houses are messy because we're feminists! Yay, messy house women!

Hmmm, I'm not a feminist, so what's my excuse?? Seriously, I am the *least* feminist woman I know...

And honestly, I like mine better than my SIL's. Her house is sooo spotless you can't even tell people live there. You can't even tell 2 young kids live there... IMO, it's kind of sad..

Janice, car seat tech, wife to M since 7/99, mom to C since 4/02 and S since 12/09
#26 of 112 Old 02-25-2006, 01:58 AM

Yes...i love this thread!
My sis is a clean freak ...she comes over to hang and then ends up doing dishers or something ...i love it!

and she loves me ! we are not necessarily DIRTY , but my priority is not cleaning ....dp works a good job, sometimes 50 hrs per week , i work pt 24 hrs per week ...when i am not working or hanging with ds 3 , i am at school. i do have sat / sun where i have no other obligations but we do family stuff etc.......laundry could NEVER be done on the weekends b/c we go to the mat ...it is bad enough there during the week when i do get chances to go !

i keep the house picked up ...do "some" cleaning each day ...maybe sweeping ..always doing dishes...etc .

hate mopping ...dp does that about once a month ...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhour house is a wreck ...but only if you are anal we have friends over etc but when my parents from out of town come in we do more deep cleaning . which is funny b/c they so don't care !

honestly ..i don't know why we have a houseful of dust bunnies ..ALWAYS!
#27 of 112 Old 02-25-2006, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice
There are dishes from last nights dinner still on the counter. There is a sewing project that I started a month ago still waiting to be finished. There is clean laundry from a few days ago piled in the living room waiting to be folded, oh and the cat is sleeping on top of it all I have a million girl scout cookies in the office that need to be given out. My toilets haven't been scrubbed in a month and my kitchen floor is gross to walk on barefoot because the crumbs stick to the bottom of your feet.
and I just have to say because seriously, my kitchen floor is the exact same. I am usually not a person to wear socks, but if I have to go into the kitchen I make sure I put some on!

Man, we're a messy bunch, lol

#28 of 112 Old 02-25-2006, 04:01 PM

im here its embarressing lol ...I swear its run over by too many toys that my mom keeps buying. I want a clean house dang it lol

my dust bunnies def have pets lol
#29 of 112 Old 02-25-2006, 05:40 PM

Seriously, we have way too much stuff so most of it doesn't have a home. So it sits in piles on floors, desks, tables etc. And as far as cleanliness goes - well, aside from washing diapers every day, not much else gets done on a regular basis. The kitchen floor gets washed maybe once a year (we have a truly hideous yet fabulous in its own way patterned linoleum floor that hides all dirt). I try to make sure that the cat puke gets cleaned up before company comes over.

On the other hand, my mother is a total neat freak. She's been coming over at least once a week since DD was born to help out with cleaning. She vacuumed the rugs so heartily that she burnt them! Seriously, there are little scorch marks and the air smelled funny. Sometimes I can't believe we're related.
#30 of 112 Old 02-25-2006, 05:40 PM

I will not walk around our house (all hard wood and tile bathroom) without my chanklas (slippers) on . bare foot or even with socks is so GROSS! ds 3 does not seem to mind though. he always has dirty feet

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page