Bismarck area moms - tell me about yourself - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 03-16-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was so glad to see that there were other moms from the Bismarck area on here. I was really surprised. I don't really know any other moms IRL who have similar parenting/life styles as me, so this is nice. I'd like to hear more about everyone. I'll start.

I am 32 yo and a SAHM. I have 3 kids - 8 yo dd, 5 yo ds, and a 6 mo dd. I cloth diaper, breastfeed, cosleep, babywear, try to eat organic and live a natural lifestyle. I also didn't circ, and am pretty sure I'm not doing any more vax.

My oldest dd is in public school, but we did almost decide to homeschool. We left the decision up to her. She used to go to Shiloh, and when we could no longer afford it (if I wanted to continue being a SAHM) we looked at other options.

We are also Christians and belong to a Methodist church.

I saw a post from someone else here (it was kind of old I think), about how when they come to Bismarck they are only ones wearing a sling. I get lots of comments too, and feel like the only one as well. Most of them are positive, but every once in a while someone gives me a wierd look. Once within 2 hrs 2 people told me they needed one for their dog. (but not their kid?)

I'd love to get together with other moms, especially with kids around my kids ages. My dd and ds sometimes get lonely when there is no school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 03-17-2006, 03:14 AM

I guess I'll be the first to reply...
I'm 23 and also a SAHM. I have one ds who is 21 months and one sweet babe on the way. We mainly EC but use cloth diapers when out and about, cosleep, eat organic, use holistic/natural methods of health and healing, non-vax, and non circ. I plan to EBF the new babe. Unfortunately I didn't with my ds. I want to homeschool, but that's pretty far in the future. We are also Christians and we belong to a Wesleyan (similar to methodist) church.
#3 of 40 Old 03-17-2006, 03:50 AM

Okay well. I think I've posted on just about every other link mentioning bismarck so why not here too! I'm a 20 yo. single mom to a 22 mo. dd. I am currently staying at home. I practice ebf., co sleeping, we vaxed for about a year till I recently looked into it and stopped that, I practice ap, & we're switching to cloth diapering. Oh and by the way zersha I actually saw a woman in the mall with a little dog in a front baby carrier the other day so thats not very far off! People can be really nuts carrying their dogs and pushing babies in strollers at the same time. Or an even better example would be to say most people let their dogs sleep with them in their beds but, make their babies sleep in cribs which also disgusts me. Hopefully you get alot of posters on here so we can see how many of us are lurking.
#4 of 40 Old 03-31-2006, 01:23 AM

I'm a 32-year-old SAHM, unless I'm being a doula, which I do about once a month. I grew up right here in Bismarck, but went to college elsewhere. My oldest son Darien was born in Aug. 2000 by unplanned, nonemergency, unwanted, coerced C-section. My next two were drug-free vaginal births (Adam in Sept. 2002 and Mason in Oct. 2004). I'm a breastfeeding (well, I was - when Mason showed interest in weaning at 13 months old, I let him), cloth diapering, babywearing mama. Darien is in public Kindergarten right now and we are dissatisfied. We haven't decided what to do about next year yet. He is, incidentally, going to the same school I attended as a child.

We are also Christian and attend Good Shepherd Lutheran. I belong to the MOMS Club here, and I'm also in the Civic Chorus.
#5 of 40 Old 04-05-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkitty
Okay well. I think I've posted on just about every other link mentioning bismarck so why not here too! I'm a 20 yo. single mom to a 22 mo. dd. I am currently staying at home. I practice ebf., co sleeping, we vaxed for about a year till I recently looked into it and stopped that, I practice ap, & we're switching to cloth diapering. I'm not currently a member of any churches but, would like to find one I feel welcome at. Oh and by the way zersha I actually saw a woman in the mall with a little dog in a front baby carrier the other day so thats not very far off! People are nuts! Hopefully you get alot of posters on here so we can see how many of us are lurking.
You should try our church. It's the First United Methodist Church, and it's made me feel very welcome. They have a wonderful children's program, and I've never felt 'funny' attending the way I have at other churches. They are very accepting and fun. We've only been members about a year, but we've been made to feel very at home. I think it would eventually be great for your dd. They have family movie night, Wednesday night dinner and 'sunday school', and all kinds of fun child oriented events.
#6 of 40 Old 04-05-2006, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenDoula
I'm a 32-year-old SAHM, unless I'm being a doula, which I do about once a month. I grew up right here in Bismarck, but went to college elsewhere. My oldest son Darien was born in Aug. 2000 by unplanned, nonemergency, unwanted, coerced C-section. My next two were drug-free vaginal births (Adam in Sept. 2002 and Mason in Oct. 2004). I'm a breastfeeding (well, I was - when Mason showed interest in weaning at 13 months old, I let him), cloth diapering, babywearing mama. Darien is in public Kindergarten right now and we are dissatisfied. We haven't decided what to do about next year yet. He is, incidentally, going to the same school I attended as a child.

We are also Christian and attend Good Shepherd Lutheran. I belong to the MOMS Club here, and I'm also in the Civic Chorus.
I would love to get in contact with you when we have our next baby. I thought about a doula before, but never knew where to find one. My dh is pretty useless during labor/delivery, so I've been pretty much on my own. '

That's too bad about your first birth experience. I have actually gone the other way. The first one was short (only 8 hrs) and pretty good, except that I did end up with an epidural (I think I would have been able to avoid this if I wasn't stuck in bed with that darn IV). My next one was induced because of PROM, and my last one was CS because of a breech baby (that sucked, I think I should have tried a VB since I have small babies).

What other options are you considering for your son? My dd went to K at Emmanuel Christian School and we loved it, but then they decided to just do daycare, so we tried Shiloh which was just too expensive. She's now at Solheim, which she hated at first, but now seems to be a little social butterfly (not sure if that's a good thing), and loves it. She is reading several grade levels above her grade, but honestly I don't believe it's because it's because of the education she's recieved there. I honestly think she would receive a better education homeschooling, but since she's making the decision to go to public school right now, we are letting her. I wouldn't hesitate in a minute to pull her out though if there were any problems.
#7 of 40 Old 04-07-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zersha
I would love to get in contact with you when we have our next baby. I thought about a doula before, but never knew where to find one. My dh is pretty useless during labor/delivery, so I've been pretty much on my own. '

That's too bad about your first birth experience. I have actually gone the other way. The first one was short (only 8 hrs) and pretty good, except that I did end up with an epidural (I think I would have been able to avoid this if I wasn't stuck in bed with that darn IV). My next one was induced because of PROM, and my last one was CS because of a breech baby (that sucked, I think I should have tried a VB since I have small babies).

What other options are you considering for your son? My dd went to K at Emmanuel Christian School and we loved it, but then they decided to just do daycare, so we tried Shiloh which was just too expensive. She's now at Solheim, which she hated at first, but now seems to be a little social butterfly (not sure if that's a good thing), and loves it. She is reading several grade levels above her grade, but honestly I don't believe it's because it's because of the education she's recieved there. I honestly think she would receive a better education homeschooling, but since she's making the decision to go to public school right now, we are letting her. I wouldn't hesitate in a minute to pull her out though if there were any problems.
Well, just let me know when you're pregnant again and I can send you a bunch of stuff.

At this point for ds, we are considering Martin Luther. We might send him to public school one more year (he goes to Northridge). I think he would thrive in a homeschooling situation, but even with my education degree, I'm just not sure. DH would love if I homeschooled, which is strange.. when we first married, he assumed I'd be a working mom who fed her babies formula, used disposable diapers, put the kids in daycare, etc. Now he's pro-homebirth, pro-breastfeeding, pro-homeschooling, pro-SAHM. LOL. How things change.
#8 of 40 Old 05-07-2006, 01:01 AM

Wow, this many in Bismarck! I'm really surprised.

I am not as thoroughly crunchy as most of the moms on here, I guess, although I'm a big supporter of any mom who does what she thinks is right for her family. (I might not nurse a toddler in public, but if someone else wants to, I say go for it! )

I'm 28, married, work full-time (at the Tribune), with a 13-month-old son. My husband is a WAHD and Corbin spends two afternoons a week at a home daycare while my husband gets his jobs done. We cloth-diaper part-time (i.e. when we are caught up on laundry!), co-sleep when the baby feels like it (sometimes), and I wanted to EBF but had supply issues and ended up going entirely to formula a few months ago. And I bought like 10 different kinds of slings when I was pregnant and then discovered that he didn't like the confinement of slings. Go figure.

We do definitely plan to homeschool, and I would love to eventually get in touch with other homeschooling parents who are more in line with our values, or at least accepting of us. (The ND and Bismarck homeschooling groups require you to sign a statement about accepting Jesus as your personal savior! My family heritage is Jewish, and we're both nonbelievers, so I don't think we'd be welcome there.)
#9 of 40 Old 05-20-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel
Wow, this many in Bismarck! I'm really surprised.

I am not as thoroughly crunchy as most of the moms on here, I guess, although I'm a big supporter of any mom who does what she thinks is right for her family. (I might not nurse a toddler in public, but if someone else wants to, I say go for it! )

I'm 28, married, work full-time (at the Tribune), with a 13-month-old son. My husband is a WAHD and Corbin spends two afternoons a week at a home daycare while my husband gets his jobs done. We cloth-diaper part-time (i.e. when we are caught up on laundry!), co-sleep when the baby feels like it (sometimes), and I wanted to EBF but had supply issues and ended up going entirely to formula a few months ago. And I bought like 10 different kinds of slings when I was pregnant and then discovered that he didn't like the confinement of slings. Go figure.

We do definitely plan to homeschool, and I would love to eventually get in touch with other homeschooling parents who are more in line with our values, or at least accepting of us. (The ND and Bismarck homeschooling groups require you to sign a statement about accepting Jesus as your personal savior! My family heritage is Jewish, and we're both nonbelievers, so I don't think we'd be welcome there.)
Hi, nice to 'meet' you. That's too bad you can't find a homeschool group that requires you to be Christian. I know if we were going to homeschool I think it would be really nice to be part of a group. I'm sure there must be some homeschoolers around here who would like to do things with you regardless of faith. There is a ND homeschoolers yahoo group, you might try posting there to find some.

I always like to hear of others in Bismarck who cd (even part time). I often think I'm the only one.
#10 of 40 Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zersha
Hi, nice to 'meet' you. That's too bad you can't find a homeschool group that requires you to be Christian. I know if we were going to homeschool I think it would be really nice to be part of a group. I'm sure there must be some homeschoolers around here who would like to do things with you regardless of faith. There is a ND homeschoolers yahoo group, you might try posting there to find some.

I always like to hear of others in Bismarck who cd (even part time). I often think I'm the only one.
Yeah, and I may talk to the Bismarck homeschooling group when I have kids who are a little older ... the "official" info on the ND homeschooling website has the statement of faith and everything, but that doesn't necessarily mean the local group is intolerant. We have some friends who also want to homeschool when they have kids, but they moved to Fargo, so we don't know anyone here in town anymore.

I did post on that Yahoo group a long time ago and didn't get much response, but it's been a year or two, so I should go check it out again. Thanks for reminding me about it.

I know another couple who CDs, but they live in Grand Forks. We're actually the ones who sold them on it. All it took was "here, look at the cool Fuzzi Bunz with the snaps!" They're actually pretty crunchy in some ways (the husband's mom used to be an LLL leader and he was breastfed until he was 3!) so I guess that was a natural fit.

Our friends in town are more mainstream, though, and I tend to get weird looks when I talk about the cloth diapers and slings and stuff. I often find myself in the position of "defender of the crunchy" in conversations, saying stuff like "I don't think homebirth is a bad idea for people who want it that way" or "it's actually biologically normal to breastfeed until age 4 ..."
#11 of 40 Old 05-23-2006, 07:32 PM

I checked out the NDHSA website and am pleased to report that they've updated since the last time I looked at it (or I missed this before), and include the following statement:

Quote:
The NDHSA has and does encourage and support home school families of any or no religious preference. In fact, we don't know or track the religious preference of the people on our mailing list. Our mission and statement of faith do flow from a Christian perspective and our Board members and leaders are Christians. However, we don't have membership requirements and the newsletter is free to anyone.
It goes on to say that they don't know of any non-Christian support groups in North Dakota, but they'd be happy to work with them.
#12 of 40 Old 06-21-2006, 02:39 PM

Hey Bismarck mamas, I need help!

My family is going to be traveling to ND the first week of July to visit my FIL in Lincoln and I REALLY need to know if there is a natural/health food type of grocery store in the area. My DD drinks goat's milk. At home, she has Meyenburg or Destiny Dairy brand. I am open to trying another brand if it is available though. We are driving up and I just don't think I could take a week's supply and keep it cold and fresh the whole time.

Also, I need to know cool stuff to do. Where are the great parks? What is fun for toddlers to do? What is the best Fourth of July celebration?
#13 of 40 Old 06-22-2006, 01:14 AM

There is really not alot for natural/health food that I have discovered unfortunately. There is Terry's health food on Main, Earth Pantry in the Mall and 2 of the major grocery stores have organic/health food sections. I would venture to say that Terry's or Earth pantry may have what you are looking for. I would call first to be sure, Terry's will special order things in if they know what you need in advance. If you need the numbers I can PM them to you.

There is a parade on the 4th of July and fireworks up at the capitol. I believe Lincoln has also done fireworks in the past as well. We live in the new development behind Lincoln and they have had local stuff going on there on some holidays. There are a lot of nice parks with play structures, waterslides and pools, depending on how old your children are. There is also a fun/water park I think it is called raging rivers (we haven't been there DD is to young yet ) that looks to have a lot of fun stuff.

Have a great vacation, if you need anymore info or contact numbers let me know ( I am at Terry's about once a week or so if you need me to take a look at anything)
#14 of 40 Old 06-22-2006, 05:41 PM

~
#15 of 40 Old 06-22-2006, 06:24 PM

Hey thanks so much for the info!

I didn't think of (icky) Super WalMart. They carry Meyenburg here too, but I JUST started breaking the WalMart habit and trying to support local businesses or companies with better business practices. Yuck, maybe I'll have to suck it up and give CrapMart my money just for once.

I'll keep in mind the other places you mentioned too, I'm sure we'll have some time on our own since we'll be there for a week and I don't think FIL really knows anything about kids...he and DH's mom were divorced before DH was born and he's never really been around any kids younger than 11-12.
#16 of 40 Old 06-22-2006, 06:30 PM

~
#17 of 40 Old 06-23-2006, 06:28 PM

Actually, all the grocery stores carry Meyenberg. My ds drinks it too. You can get the condenced kind at both Dan's and Miricle Mart by the other condenced milks. Cash wise, terry's, and earth pantry carry the powder stuff. The earth pantry only carrys the pouches of it though. Terry's and cash wise carry the cans of powder. Sometimes Terry's has the ready made stuff in a carton.
#18 of 40 Old 06-29-2006, 02:11 AM

Hi! I am a 25 year old SAHM of a two year old drama Queen - Delainey and precious twin (fraternal) girls Avery and Shelby 6 months.
I am super excited about meeting some natural moms in Bismarck. My DD Delainey was born @ 36 weeks (unwanted induction due to PIH) and did wonderfully. Our twins Avery and Shelby were born 12/26 via emergency c-section (36 seconds from cut to baby)... due to HELLP syndrome. I am EBF Avery and Shelby and am proud to say that they have never had a single ounce of anything other than mommys milk

I like Jen am a member of the local Chapter of MOMS Club and a "closet" crunchy mom... shhh.. don't tell my friends

I look forward to "meeting" and getting to know you all!!!
#19 of 40 Old 07-02-2006, 10:23 PM

Well, I'm not as natural as most of the moms seems to be on here, but I was considered "pretty out there" for some of the stuff I did with my kids in the small town I was in before I moved to Bismarck.

Most people's reactions were just disbelief and sometimes outright disdain. Just because I actually co-slept with both my kids, breastfed my first child until he was 20 months old (while pregnant with the 2nd), and my husband and I had his and her baby slings!! My husband actually had his picture in the Tribune last summer because he was wearing one of our kids in a Maya Wrap at Art in the Park. I also make all my baby food from scratch... I refuse to buy any of that crap in a jar.

One thing I loved about moving to Bismarck was that they actually have _2_ brands of lactose free milk here!!! My husband, my older son, and I are all lactose intolerant (we are still hoping the younger one isn't) and it was impossible to find lactose free milk in Minot. 90% of the time they were out of stock, and almost NEVER got the lactose-free whole milk.

As for other fun things to do in Bismarck, the new Elks Aquatic Center is awesome. The pool is wonderful, it has sprinklers for the kids to play in as well as a playground. The only prob is that the last couple of days its been full (meaning they only let people in as others leave). If you are willing to wait, its a great place to let your kids play, no matter what their age. Its located on Washington and Broadway.

The parade in Mandan is great, as are the fireworks on the Capital. If you are willing to stay up late, there is another fireworks show in Mandan following the one on the Capital grounds. My only recommendation is to get to the parade and Capital early for a good seat. Bring camping chairs or blankets to sit on.
#20 of 40 Old 07-06-2006, 12:49 AM

AAAAAH! That was your husband? I freaked out when I saw the paper, I went running to my husband screaming "LOOK! A dad is slinging, and the Trib TOOK A PICTURE! And it's a MAYA WRAP!" I sold Maya Wraps at the time, actually!

I have always worn my babes in a sling at Art in the Park, except for this year, since Mason thinks he's "too big" for it now. I joked with hubby on Saturday that this is the first summer since we moved back to Bismarck in 1999 that I haven't either been pregnant or carrying a wee one around in the sling at Art in the Park.
#21 of 40 Old 08-09-2006, 08:33 PM

Heh, I too used to sell Maya Wraps (actually, I am still techically a distributor, just haven't bothered making any sales). I still have a couple left in my inventory that are too small for me to use. I also have one of their Mama Baby slings (had 2, but lent one to a friend), which work WAY better with a newborn.

My husband and I have been checking out Good Shepherd and are thinking of joining. Maybe we'll run into you there...
#22 of 40 Old 08-10-2006, 05:52 PM

I saw a mom nursing her baby out at Urban Harvest today ... she looked pretty crunchy, was it one of you? I was the stupid mom who didn't bring a stroller or carrier for her 16mo and was chasing a wild screaming blond toddler in a blue shirt all over the place.

Otherwise, it's a pretty cool event ... there were little kids and babies all over!
#23 of 40 Old 08-11-2006, 12:41 AM

I've never heard of urban harvest but, it sounds interesting you should tell me about it!
#24 of 40 Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 PM

Thunderkitty, Urban Harvest is kinda like a local outdoor market in Bismarck every Thursday. It has a farmer's market in addition to food vendors, entertainment, and local artisans selling their wares. They do have a website at http://www.bismarckurbanharvest.org/
My husband and I went once this year, and there just didn't see to be much down there. Maybe we just went on the wrong week....plus it was so darned hot, we couldn't stay long. Hasn't that just been the rule this summer???

And pookel, it wasn't me you saw at Urban Harvest. My 21 mo. old weaned about 2 months ago (I'm pregnant with number 3 and my nipples just got too sensitive). Plus my kids are just too heavy to wear in the sling anymore, especially with me being over 5 months pregnant! But am looking forward to getting my slings back out for this one!

I saw a mom with a Maya Wrap at the Capital A'fair last week. It makes me just wanna say "Yippie" every time I see someone else using a sling. It's nice to live in an area where babywearing is starting to catch on.
#25 of 40 Old 08-12-2006, 01:54 AM

There aren't really a whole lot of vendors, but some of them had some nice stuff ... handmade jewelry and knitted hats and that sort of thing. And the crowd was nice; lots of hippie types and moms with little kids.

The baby I saw nursing was a little one, maybe 1-2 months old, so it definitely couldn't have been you!
#26 of 40 Old 08-17-2006, 04:17 AM

I was also a mom chasing a wild little blond boy at Urban Harvest!! I'll probably be doing it again tomorrow. I am from Portland Oregon and moved here with my husband and two year old son in April. My husband is from here and has been begging to move, so I finally gave in. I can't say that I am crunchy, but I am one hip mamma. We attempted a home birth with our son, I make slings for all my friends, I breastfed for almost two years, We try to eat as much as we can afford organic supplemented by our garden and my sercret stash of Trader Joes, I was raised with a natural lifestyle and know alot about herbal remedies, we do fuzzy bunz diapers exclusively ( except we are now moving towards naked peeing in the yard and occasional puddles indoors with big guy underpants). I am glad to know that there are other moms like me around. I just wish I could actually meet some. I miss my friends from home so much! I Know it is going to be a long ( but hopefully not lonely) cold winter and I was hoping somone out there could suggest some fun things to do or a way that more of us could get together and share ideas, have ladies nights, dance, do yoga, & most importantly, let our kids play together. I'd love to make this move a little easier by making some friends. I just volunteered to help with an art project at the north dakota peace coalition booth tomorrow, if any of you are there, feel free to come on over and say Hi. I'll be the one chasing a blond around.
#27 of 40 Old 08-17-2006, 11:45 AM

I have been in Bismarck for a few years and never heard of Urban Harvest I will have to check it out. It's to bad it's only a day thing! Oh I just noticed the webiste, that will help, thanks for the link!

Karessat - Welcome to Bismarck! My husband and I moved here a few years back under the same circumstances as you. Dh was from here and really wanted to move back. I am from Ontario Canada. I found it hard at first with the limited things available to do here compared to where I had come from and I am sure coming from Portland you are experiencing the same thing. I know there is a mom's club that operates around Bismarck, it has been mentioned on some of the previous Bismarck threads that might be of interest to you. I work FT and DH stays home during the day so it's not something I looked to far into but I think they have a website too if you do a search. I have a DD that is 22 months and a second on the way. We are doing the potty thing too what fun, we have more tinkle on the floor than in the pot but we are getting there I know how hard it is to start up a whole new life in a different place, feel free to PM me, I had a really hard time at first but it does get better, I remember how badly I mourned the loss of my friends and family when I moved.
#28 of 40 Old 08-17-2006, 12:31 PM

Morgansmum, you are from Ontario?!? Heh, so is my husband! He's from Kitchener, and yeah, he suffered serious culture shock moving here. Especially since we moved to rural ND north of Minot for a few years first. He's doing better now that we are in Bismarck. He still "mourns the loss of civilization" (as he puts it) occassionally.

Karessat, the MOMS club would be a good place for you to at meet new people, let your kids play with other kids, and have at least one ladies' night a month. I am going to their "Moms Night Out" tonight if I can get a hold of one of my sitters. PM me and I can give you more info if you like.
#29 of 40 Old 08-17-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
"mourns the loss of civilization"
Yeah that about sums it up I am From Ottawa, Ontario so I can certainly relate!!

Did you ever find a doctor to assist with your VBAC? Mine still won't and since I was diagnosed with GD earlier this week my chances are looking more bleak - Hope you are having better luck than me!
#30 of 40 Old 08-17-2006, 02:02 PM

I started out seeing Woodrow and he was very supportive of my VBAC, but he's going on vacation the day after my due date (I have a post all about that in the VBAC section). Since I have gone postdates with my 2 previous, I am not about to risk dealing with Dr. Iverson or Dr. Pierckiwickz (sp?) if I do go postdates with this one.

So I am in the process of switching over to Jan Bury at St. A's. We'll see what she says after I have an appointment with her (which isn't till September). Definitely gonna bring my birth plan and see what she says. I am due for my 1 hour GTT then too. That test always makes me nervous.

My husband and I were impressed with our tour of St. A's. They are remodeling to add another birthing room and more whirlpool tubs, which will be done before I am due. The nurses were so much friendlier and more open to the idea of a VBAC (never once did I hear the term TOLAC, which is all I heard at Medcenter).

I wish you luck and send you many many hugs!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page