Jacksonville FL - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Finding your Tribe Archives 2008 > Jacksonville FL
momma2rylie's Avatar momma2rylie 06:05 PM 03-17-2006
Anyone here in Jax FL? I am new to MDC, but would love to find some local mommy friends!

mhenry's Avatar mhenry 06:08 PM 03-17-2006
Hi! I live in jax. What part of town are you in? I'm in Riverside. Did you just move here?
momma2rylie's Avatar momma2rylie 05:04 PM 03-18-2006
Hi! I live in Intercoastal West area. We have been here about 3 years, but just had our first baby. She is 6 mos old this month! How long have you been here? I just found MDC recently. What sort of things do you do with your kid (s) around here?
mhenry's Avatar mhenry 07:27 PM 03-18-2006
I've been in Jacksonville off and on my whole life. Ds is only 9months and he's my first. We walk to the park a lot, we go to the Cummer museum sometimes. I'm trying to find a waterbabies type of class, but so far have only found one out at the beach. Ds doesn't like the car, so that's too far away. Mostly we hang out at home, I need to branch out more.
momma2rylie's Avatar momma2rylie 12:44 PM 03-20-2006
I know what you mean about branching out. We usually just stick close to home also. My big outings with dd are usually Publix or sometimes if I'm feeling adventurous I'll take her to the mall!
mamak05's Avatar mamak05 01:43 PM 03-20-2006
Hello,
We just moved to Jacksonville and I am looking for some like-minded mamas to hang out with - walks, chats and time for babies to play. DD is 6 months old. We currently live on the Southside but are moving to Avondale in May. Driving is not a problem! Maybe we could meet at a beach, library or some other spot - thoughts?
Kathryn
jeanieloz's Avatar jeanieloz 05:36 PM 03-20-2006
Hi, I'm in Jax, well sorta, I live in Orange Park, I have found some really nice groups of mom's here, the OP LLL is really quite large. There is an attachment parenting group, and play group, we have a meeting this Thursday the 23rd at the Pablo Creek branch of the library from 10-noon.
There is a new NINO group and they meet at the BRU in Argyle every 3rd Sat at noon, they just had their first meeting!
If you want info on the AP play group just e-mail me.
Donna
kerilynn's Avatar kerilynn 06:38 PM 03-27-2006
We just moved to JAX ... we live near Regency Mall
We have been going to the library, the beach, the parks, Kidz Kampus is awesome!

I would love to get together for a playgroup!
Rose0672's Avatar Rose0672 04:07 PM 03-28-2006
I live on the Fla Ga border about 30 min from Jax and I would love to find other Mamas in the area. We're a homeschooling family - I have 2 children, a 4 year old boy and a 2 year old girl.
CincoDeMama's Avatar CincoDeMama 07:17 PM 03-29-2006
another jax mama here~fleming island to be exact.

why don't we try to meet up somewhere centrally located, like maybe the zoo? we could plan a date and time and pack a lunch for our littles
jeanieloz's Avatar jeanieloz 01:42 AM 04-03-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincoDeMama
another jax mama here~fleming island to be exact.

why don't we try to meet up somewhere centrally located, like maybe the zoo? we could plan a date and time and pack a lunch for our littles
Definately! Keri and I just met at the zoo this past Friday, but it was a bit hectic with a MILLION kindergardeners there! But I'm always up for the zoo, anytime! How about the third or fourth week in April, like the 18, 19 or 20th, or the 25, 26, or 27th? Meet early around 9 or 9:30 (zoo opens at 9)
Donna
kerilynn's Avatar kerilynn 09:49 AM 04-03-2006
Well, you know we are there! Just name the time and place
jeanieloz's Avatar jeanieloz 01:31 AM 04-15-2006
Well ok then,,,
Anyone up for the zoo, say April 20th? meet around 9?
Donna
forbiddenpluto's Avatar forbiddenpluto 03:38 PM 04-20-2006
I'm down in St. Augustine! Maybe we could have a beach day since the weather is getting so nice!
octobersweethearts's Avatar octobersweethearts 02:03 AM 05-04-2006
Hi, another Jax mama here!

We live in the Intracoastal area off Atlantic and Hodges.

I have twin girls age 3.5 and a baby boy who just turned 1. My girls go to the Waldorf-inspired preschool at the beach, and I am in a "natural" mama playgroup with the 1yo.

I would love to get together sometime too...the zoo is opening up a new kids playground and water park this week! It sounds like a lot of fun!

And for the other poster who was asking about other things to do as well...
Tree Hill would be a nice place for a walk with your baby.

The Jacksonville Waldorf Initiative also has some really great parent/child playgroups. You don't have to totally be into Waldorf to participate....it is just kind of a more natural parenting approach. They also do puppet shows at the school that are free to attend...the 4th Thursday of every month at 4:00pm. The website is www.jaxwaldorf.org if you want to check out the schedule of events.
EastbayK's Avatar EastbayK 01:36 PM 05-04-2006
I live in Jax too, in the Fort Caroline area. I moved here in January from San Francisco. I have a 4 year old son. I work during the day, but am always available on weekends.

Kim
hu*singing*mom's Avatar hu*singing*mom 12:46 PM 05-11-2006
My dd was in the Waldorf Iniative playgroup this year down at the beach. But I really wish I could find some other Moms a little closer next year. I love the group but my daughter hasn't been thrilled and since I homeschool my son he had to tag along too which at times was fine and other days was stressful. Any Moms in Southside or Arlington with 3 or 4 year olds who want to have some inexpensive playdates (parks etc.) that don't require a lot of driving?
hu*singing*mom's Avatar hu*singing*mom 09:11 AM 05-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by octobersweethearts
Hi, another Jax mama here!

We live in the Intracoastal area off Atlantic and Hodges.
I have twin girls age 3.5 and a baby boy who just turned 1. My girls go to the Waldorf-inspired preschool at the beach, and I am in a "natural" mama playgroup with the 1yo.
Tree Hill would be a nice

Sounds like our girls are close in age. And we have Waldorf activities in common. Do you want to do Tree Hill or something sometime?
hu*singing*mom's Avatar hu*singing*mom 09:14 AM 05-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastbayK
I live in Jax too, in the Fort Caroline area. I moved here in January from San Francisco. I have a 4 year old son. I work during the day, but am always available on weekends.

Kim
We moved here from the West 2 years ago (lived in Albuquerque 7 years and Flagstaff, AZ for 1. And my dd is turning 4 this week. We go to a karate dojo up near you on Merrill. There's a nice park up that way... maybe some weekend?
octobersweethearts's Avatar octobersweethearts 09:18 AM 05-12-2006
Sure! We would love to get together!

I am up for Tree Hill or we have also been wanting to check out the new kids park at the zoo.

Anyone else want to meet up? What day works for you? I am open any day except Thursday and Friday mornings (that's when the girls are in preschool).
hu*singing*mom's Avatar hu*singing*mom 02:50 PM 05-12-2006
I just asked my kids about it and they seemed interested. My ds loves nature and hasn't been to Treehill in awhile. My dd said she would like to meet your girls. We are busy on Tuesday and Wed this coming week. PM me and we will set the details for an "MDC Mom meet-up" at TreeHill for sometime in the next 2 weeks.
jeanieloz's Avatar jeanieloz 12:47 AM 05-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hu*singing*mom
We moved here from the West 2 years ago (lived in Albuquerque 7 years and Flagstaff, AZ for 1. And my dd is turning 4 this week. We go to a karate dojo up near you on Merrill. There's a nice park up that way... maybe some weekend?
I'm an Albuquerque native, moved to FL in 98...
The kids zone water park at the zoo isn't quite ready, we were there last week and they still had a lot of stuff to do.
Donna
hu*singing*mom's Avatar hu*singing*mom 04:37 PM 05-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanieloz
I'm an Albuquerque native, Donna
Cool! I miss the dryness so much! also the co-op in Nob Hill where we lived, and the Balloons, and the Frontier, and the smell of roasting green chile, "low maintenance" lawns, the ability to get Christmas tree permits for cutting trees, Ojo Caliente and 10,000 Waves... and of course all our good friends.

My apologies to octobersweethearts and EastbayK and anyone else who was interested in meeting but I'm going to have to put my "out and about" days on hold for a while. Friday we were on our way to the park, almost there, and got hit by an older man at a stop light who didn't stop. We are thankfully all ok but the car is undriveable and all 3 of us are a bit shell shocked too. So I'm interested in checking this site but for now don't want to set up any meetings.
jeanieloz's Avatar jeanieloz 01:37 PM 05-16-2006
Oh my goodness I'm glad you are ok, any accident is scary for sure!!!!

Albuquerque was fun, I worked at the Frontier for almost 3 years! from 1990 till 93, while attending UNM and then T-VI.
My dh worked at Scalo... mmm love that food! Nob Hill was awesome!
Donna
kelle1996's Avatar kelle1996 01:52 PM 05-16-2006
We just moved here a little over a month ago. We are in Julington Creek. I am not real familure with the area yet but we spend alot at the malls. I love St. Johns Center!
I would love to get together!
hu*singing*mom's Avatar hu*singing*mom 08:14 PM 05-16-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanieloz
lbuquerque was fun, I worked at the Frontier for almost 3 years! from 1990 till 93, while attending UNM and then T-VI.
My dh worked at Scalo... mmm love that food! Nob Hill was awesome!
Donna
Scalo was always a special treat... we could walk there from our house right past the birth center. But if I had to choose between Scalo and Frontier I'd still go for those tortillas at Frontier. Mu dh was at UNM too. Despite the fact that we are settled here, we felt more rooted there.
catieface's Avatar catieface 09:48 PM 05-18-2006
I'm new to MDC as well and live in Riverside. I'd love to get together sometime, my little one is still quite young (5 months), but I can ALWAYS use mommy friends!
kelle1996's Avatar kelle1996 02:23 AM 05-20-2006
Anybody up for meeting at The Avenues mall next week? They have a great little play area for the kids with lots of room for us mommies to sit and talk?
Any day would work for us.
star792's Avatar star792 05:12 PM 05-29-2006
i am up for something. i have a 4.5 boy and a 20mth boy. we have a zoo pass we just renewed and are thinking of getting one to MOSH. we are on the northside but end up driving a lot. we could have a park day somewhere in jax maybe???
also my husband works at the avenues so that would be cool too.
issakaye's Avatar issakaye 12:15 PM 06-25-2006
Are there any mommies out there that work FT and have a little one?:

New mommy off Atlantic/Girvin with 3 m/o

-Melissa
1 2 

Up