san luis obispo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2003, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i lived in the area 4 years ago, and am finally comin back! im so happy, i love it there. just looking for some other kind mamas to hang out with. my son is 4. i could also use some help on the local education choices. anyone have good/bad experiences with public, charter, montessori, etc... or homeschool groups?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2003, 04:16 AM

Wish I had some great advice for you...I simply wanted to post my congratulations! Dh and I lived there (and Arroyo Grande for 3 years, and have been back here in Fresno for about 1 year. We are on "The three year plan" (as we refer to it) to move back. Rarely a day goes by that I dont cry just thinking about how much we miss it!

BTW, my children are young (one and two) so I dont know much about the schools, however, I have NEVER heard a single bad thing about public schools in SLO...Good luck to you!
Old 03-17-2003, 08:42 PM

hi! i live in north county and have been here for 2 years. my daughters are 4 1/2 and 14 months. i don't know much about the schools in slo. i have heard good things about montessori and some not so good things. i guess they are not a full mont. school. they only use bits and pieces of the teachings. my daughter will be attending san gabriel elem. in the fall as a kindergardener. look forward to hearing back!!
Old 04-01-2003, 02:51 AM

I hope you are still checking for replies. We live in SLO and love it. We've been here a year and half. I have LOTS of information to share about schools, activities, etc. I'll check back to see if you are still here.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

yay! i havent checked this in awhile because i got no responses for a long time! im glad you are out there! i would LOVE info on schools. im still not sure if im gonna start my son in kindergarten in the fall or wait til next year. ( he will be be 5 nov.5th) i will definately do preschool until then though. he has been home with me so far. dh is in slo already, but i will be there within the next few weeks. i also need to do something to make money that wont take me away from my boy too much. dh and i are also going to cuesta. yikes.....:
Old 04-03-2003, 03:30 AM

There is a magazine that just came out called Living Here 2003. It has lots of information about the area schools, etc. When you get to SLO send another message and we can meet at a park. I'd love to help you get settled. Moving is a huge transition, but easier with a little help from a friend. I have a son who turned 5 in February so the boys will have a good time playing. Good luck packing and with your move.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:26 AM

Tiffany, where can I find Living Here 2003? I've been in Los Osos for years, but am always looking for new info.

lovingmyboy - welcome! I've been all over the state and this is the BEST (but we knew that, right?) I don't know a whole lot about individual schools in SLO, but we're in the same district and, I'm sorry to say, it's been a little screwy lately. Lots of budget cuts and more to come with the state budget deficit. Not good news.

If you guys haven't checked out the Morro Bay Natural History Museum, you might want to. I think kids are free and adults are $2. They just spent a bundle remodeling it. It's definately worth the $2.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

tiffany-thanks for the info and i would love to meet. i will probably be there next week.
sharimama- being in los osos, i wonder if you know my midwife, sue oconnor?
do you mamas have kids in public school? know about the charter? im scared (and excited) because after being home with ds for four years, im going to find a preschool for him and do some work outside the home. i just want to find the right places for both of us.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:56 PM

No, I don't know Sue O'Connor, but I wish I did. That was my paternal grandmother's name (and my last name was O'Connor, until I added my dh name to the mix.)

My oldest is in public school (11th grade) and, despite my general belief that public school is good as long as parents are an active part of their kid's education, I am seriously disappointed in the education he has received. It's a long story, which I'd be glad to go into if you want to hear it. We're considering homeschooling for our youngest two.

My ds is almost 2-1/2 and my dd is nearly 1. If you guys are interested in a local, informal mamas/parents group. Let me know!
Old 04-06-2003, 01:42 PM

Lovinmyboy,

My son will go to the only charter school in the area in the Fall. It is very difficult to get into unless you live in the school district. Schools really depend on your educational philosophy and financial means. There are some good private schools, but they are expensive. There are lots of homeschoolers in the area too. Finding a preschool is going to depend on the above, but also the number of hours you are looking for. The best schools have long wait lists so they may not be available in the Fall.

I second the Morro Bay Natural History Museum. It's fun and educational.

ShariMama,
The Living Here 2003 came in the newspaper. You might check the front newspaper box at New Frontiers for a copy.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

sharimama, i would love to start a group and i know a few other mamas who would be interested too. i am interested in your public school experience, if you feel like sharing. i go back on forth on homeschooling. if i was gonna do it, i would definately want to get into a group that meets often!! (and find lots of regular fun, educational activities)
tiffany-i applied for admission at the charter and got turned down. i will probably try again next year as ds is turning 5 in nov. i wasnt even sure if i should start him this fall or the next fall. so is it best to live in s.l.o. ? i was using a pismo address on the application. im hoping that i can get a job at a good preschool and then ds can go there for a better rate.
i am just so glad to be back up there. it is the best spot in california. (if only it wasnt getting so expensive!!) but i always say-its worth it. i will be up there this week but might not be able to get online soon after, so dont go away! i hope we can all meet.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:58 AM

To attend Bellevue Santa Fe Charter School you need to be in the Avila school district or border of Shell Beach. The rents in the area start at $1,700 usually.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:22 AM

I moved to Grover Beach with my husband a little over a year ago and have 11 week-old twin girls. I'm in my late-twenties and my husband and I love SLO county very much--we felt it would be a much better place to rasie kids than the LA/OC area. I have been kind of house-bound caring for and nursing the twins, so I would love to meet/chit-chat with local moms (especially you mothers of multiples!).
Old 04-08-2003, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

im glad theres another mama in the area-hi twinsmom! you sure sound busy! we all must get together, i know i sure need the support and companionship. im also in my late twenties and in need of a better place to raise my babes. im leaving my extended family behind in orange county which i am very sad about but i just cant live there!! i will try to post next week and maybe we can arrange a park day soon?
tiffany, maybe we will have to move towards avila next year!! i actually havent even visited the school yet, it just sounded good on paper. i would like to check it out.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:53 PM

Twinsmama, I can only imagine the work of twins and the isolation. My mom's close friend has twin grandsons in Atlanta and I hear lots of stories. She keeps telling me that I need to put my kids on a nap schedule and other things that I can't bring myself to do, but that are working well for their family (there's also a 3-year-old brother, can you imagine!) But my kids are 16 months apart so there's some similarity, but still a very different situation.
I'm in Los Osos, but my mom is in AG, and I'm there often. I've got a few years on ya, and the kids are older, but I'd love to get together if you like. There's some fun new parks I've been eyeing between AG and GB.

lovinmyboy, there's a nice Montessori here in Los Osos that I'm getting my son in soon, but they have a 2-1/2 year minimum age limit. If you are in the Pismo/Shell area, the Shell Beach Elementary used to be one of the best in the county. I'm not totally up to date on it though. I'll give you the lowdown on my less-than-stellar San Luis Coastal District experience soon. Right now I'm in production on our newspaper and stealing time to write. More on that later...

What's everybody doing a week from Thursday (4-17) maybe we could organize a big park party?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:14 PM

A park day would be wonderful! Next week would be good for me, as my husband has off all that week for spring break.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:26 AM

Park day would be fun! How about Mitchell Park in SLO? The new structures are really nice for older kids and toddlers.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:30 PM

Mitchell Park is nice. Sounds good to me. Now, what about timing? Coordinating nap times might be a challenge!

My littlest can sleep anywhere. My toddler drops around 1 p.m., maybe 2 p.m. if I'm lucky. It'd be great if I could make it home before he crashes. but I'm flexible.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:40 PM

How about Thursday, April 24th at 10am at Mitchell Park?
Old 04-13-2003, 08:55 PM

Looks like it works for me.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:56 PM

Hey, girls! I wanna play, too!!
Unfortunately, I'll be in lovely Excremento, CA visiting the inlaws on the 24th. Count me in for the future, tho. I already know Tiffany and Shari, it'd be fun to meet everyone else.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:41 PM

Urrrrghh...10am...(blink, blink)...Zzzzzzzzzzz If it were closer to Grover I could MAYBE do 11 or 11:30. Thursdays and Fridays are good fro me though, as hubby is home those days. I'm sure we'll meet up sometime!
Old 04-16-2003, 03:03 PM

Well Tiffany, You want to make it just us? Or shall we move further south? Your call. I drive to Arroyo all the time anyhow (and consider a 6 a.m. wake-up sleeping in!)

Glad to see you SoHappy! I was thinking about inviting you over here, but hadn't gotten to it!

lovinmyboy - here's my abreiviated gripe with the SLCU School District. My stepson, Ryan, came into my life when he was 11. His mother had done her best to get him diagnosed as ADD/ADHD. (I have some experience with teaching and ADD and could see none of the indicators.) So Ryan was in special ed from Kindergarten or first grade. The program retests the kids every three years and holds Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings with parents every year. All sounds good, but Ryan continues to drastically underachieve and was failing (literally) for a couple of years. (Until we got him full time, but that's another thread.) I have been at the IEPs, met with teachers and principals more than I ever expected and yet, in 11th grade, he is still barely literate in some regards. He reads voraciously (thankfully) but his writing is terrible (this is where his disability is). I have been seriously disappointed in the schools williness to move him forward, despite his failure to learn things. He actually failed about 80 percent of junior high but was passed nonetheless. He has a number of friends in the same boat. I do work with him a great deal, but with two small children and two businesses to run, my time is limited. I seriously considered home schooling for him, because that is the level of committment necessary to complete the back-work he needs. Unfortunately, I simply don't have the time. My goal now is to keep him interested enough to go on to college and then help him get the education he never recieved.

I know one of the board members, I am confident that there are good schools in the district and excellent teachers, but this district has made some seriously poor decisions. There was a large budget surplus for years due to Diablo taxes which recently dried up leaving the district with a huge budget shortfall. They closed three elementary schools and continue to layoff teachers that the kids love without any change to administration I can see. There's a lot of politics in that one, but you can see some poor administrative choices, to say the least.

Sorry, I guess that wasn't too abbreviated. There's more too, if you want to hear it!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:08 AM

Hi guys! We just moved to AG from Orange County and are looking for friends to meet up with. I would love to meet at Mitchell park too. My son is 5, born Nov. 3 and loves to play and I get to go and chase my 13 mo. old daughter around!! Hope to hear back from someone soon!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:21 AM

PS... I started a group on yahoo to try and get some moms together in my area for regular playdates. Take a look!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralCoastMoms/
Old 04-17-2003, 05:09 PM

Great! I have signed up to join your group. In the meantime, I've posted some pictures of the twins here, if anybody wants to see...
Old 04-21-2003, 02:16 AM

Lindsey, I'm happy to find another Mom with an older boy. Sometimes my son gets bored at playdates with very young children. We've been chatting about meeting at Mitchell Park in SLO on Thursday morning. Is your son off school for Spring break this week?
Old 04-21-2003, 03:01 AM

My son too gets bored playing with the younger crowd. He was actually in Kindergarten in Orange County through a private school before we moved here in late Feb. Since he is so young and we moved mid-year we decided to take him out and try again this year so he is home still full time. I am free during the week as of now. I love Mitchell Park, it is so clean and friendly for all ages. We also like to walk to Gus' and get a sandwhich for lunch when we venture up to SLO. Email me and we can make plans. I think there's another Mom interested in meeting, her name is Angela.

[email protected]
Old 04-22-2003, 12:41 AM

Hello Central Coast Mama's, We will be meeting on Thursday, April 24th at 10:30am at Mitchell Park in SLO. The park is located near downtown on Osos. Sorry I can't remember the other cross street. We'll reschedule if it rains. Hope to see you all there.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:01 AM

Hey Mamas (and any papas)

I'm sorry to say that I can't make it after all. I had to schedule a meeting with a client who couldn't make it any other time. Given the meeting, I really also need to work on a rush design job that just got confirmed this afternoon. Of course, it looks like there's a good chance of rain, so we all may be rescheduling.

I'm sorry to miss you all. I hope you have a great time and we can do it again soon.

User Tag List