Mothering Forum banner

Homebirth in Maryland?

932 views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  ntengwall 
#1 ·
We just found out we are expecting our fifth. I had a c-section with my last birth (twins) and I'd really like to have a HBAC. The only thing I can find so far is Birthcare and it doesn't look like they'll take VBAC patients. I'm not really seeing much for VBAC even at the hospitals around here. My last hospital birth was so awful I don't want to go that route unless there's an emergency.

I'm in Montgomery County but I'd be willing to travel pretty far if a Midwife would take me.

#2 ·
Congrats! I planned my HBAC with Evelyn Muhlhan, CNM. Her practice Alternative Birth Choices is in Randallstown, a suburb of Baltimore. I travelled an hour to see her. Actually it was a lovely drive through the countryside
as opposed to the traffic ridden freeways around MC. You can do a search for her in this forum - lots of moms have been very happy with her. I ended up having a hospital VBAC after transferring but was very happy with Evelyn.

I called all the BC's in MD last year - none do HBACs. Although the one in Alexandria, VA sounded like they'd consider it if you'd had a vaginal birth before which you have. You might ask them.

There are also some CPMs in the area that are doing HBs, not sure about HBAC.

#3 ·
Washington county hospital does VBAC's ( in Hagerstown). There is a group of midwifes who deliver there. I have a friend who is pregnant w/ them and will be attempting a vbac. He first DS was 9lb15 and she pushed for several hrs and he started having decels. She is hoping this one will be a little smaller
She said they have been great w/ her choices.

#4 ·
I absolutely would not recommend a certain group of midwives that deliver at Washington county. I used them for my second pregnancy and due to the fact that they ignored some concerns and red flags I brought up my daughter ended up being born severely premature and died at birth. I know even if they had been more proactive and actually examined me like I requested I still would have lost my daughter for other reasons. However I may not have spontaneously given birth at home and watched my daughter die in my arms if I had been given a little more attention. Sorry to be somewhat harsh, but if you're going to be going through something a little more then your typical pregnancy and vaginal birth I would steer far away from this group.

#5 ·
I had two birth center vaginal births, then a c-section, and then a homebirth VBAC in October with Evelyn Muhlhan. I also called around and pretty much found no one(well found a few lay midwives, but didn't want to go that route).

Anyhow, I lived in PG county and had to drive a good 45 minutes each prenatal visit to see Evelyn, but totally worth it. I refused to be chopped open again and Evelyn gave me a fighting chance at a beautiful homebirth VBAC and it was wonderful. I thank God for her!!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrubsjm
I absolutely would not recommend a certain group of midwives that deliver at Washington county. I used them for my second pregnancy and due to the fact that they ignored some concerns and red flags I brought up my daughter ended up being born severely premature and died at birth. I know even if they had been more proactive and actually examined me like I requested I still would have lost my daughter for other reasons. However I may not have spontaneously given birth at home and watched my daughter die in my arms if I had been given a little more attention. Sorry to be somewhat harsh, but if you're going to be going through something a little more then your typical pregnancy and vaginal birth I would steer far away from this group.
I'll let my friend know thanks for the info ( I see Dr Oh & Kothari in Hagerstown)

#7 ·
J Baxter- You can always PM me for more info. Like I said I don't blame them for the death of my daughter, but I do blame them for the manner in which she died. I've been agonizing over my post all day. I don't want to seem like I'm slandering them or placing all the blame on them for what happened to me. But I also wouldn't want another woman in a potentially higher risk situation to be ignored by them and also have something horrible happen.

#8 ·
The topic at our May meeting for the Baltimore chapter of the International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN) is "Exploring Homebirth." We will have two area homebirth midwives attending. They will be showing homebirth videos and answering questions.

The particular midwives we are featuring are located in Cecil County and PA and cover the Baltimore area but probably not where you live. There are several other options for you. Evelyn is one. Contact me at ICANofBaltimore@comcast.net for the others.

In Maryland, only two hospitals ban VBACs (Frederick Memorial and Memorial Hospital at Easton). A few other hospitals (Penninsula and GBMC come to mind) don't ban but have few or no OBs who agree to attend VBACs.

I can email you the results of my Maryland Hospital VBAC survey which I am currently in the process of updating. I contact each birthing hospital and ask "Do you still allow VBACs?" and note their repsonses. Funny how sometimes the nurses I speak to immediately start throwing in info about Pitocin and induction without me even asking!

I also have all of the Maryland hospital cesarean percentages if you are interested.

The ICAN meeting is this Thursday, 5/11 at a location 3 miles in from the Baltimore beltway. Not hard to find. Meetings are free and open to everyone.

Otherwise, ICAN has a chapter in Northern VA you may be interested in.

Takoma Park has a birthing circle (group of folks who gather monthly to discuss birth related topics) and attending their meetings would be another way to network with moms and find a supportive caregiver.

Barbara Stratton
ICAN of Baltimore chapter leader
www.ican-online.org

#13 ·
Another huge thumbs up for Karen

I had a homebirth with her last June. It was just awesome!!! She also does house calls for the most part, but had me come to her home a couple of times which was not a problem at all.
One of the things that stands out for me is when I went to her home after the birth to deliver the insurance check. She was eating lunch but stopped what she was doing to sit and chat with me and hold the baby for about a half hour.
Can you imagine doing that with an ob???????
I wish everyone could experience how special a home birth is *sigh*. And what's funny is that it's not necessarily "special" but NORMAL. You all know what I mean

She's a vbac mom herself and a very interesting lady.
Evelyn is great too; I had to call her once for an issue and she was available IMMEDIATELY.
Good luck!!
Karen

#14 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm going to go with Karen Carr. I talked to her earlier this week and she had no problem with doing a vbac. She said to call back when I'm closer to 12 weeks since she doesn't do prenatals before then. I'm only 6 weeks right now.

#15 ·
I would like to go the more natural route this time around, I have an almost 11year old and am now almost 7 weeks pregnant. I have a history of miscarriage and with my first daughter I was on bed rest for 6 months
: due to pre-term labor that started right about where I am now. I haven't been having any problems thus far, but want to know more about midwifes and what they actually do. My current OB is over-protective (I have to see him every two weeks until I reach three months!!) and he likes to see his patients every 3 months instead of every 6 months so that may just be how he operates...

Is there any way that I can contact these women you guys are discussing to ask them some questions?

Also, I am strongly considering adoption as the baby is unplanned but am unsure of the route to take. I guess if I plan to raise the child myself I will have more questions about childcare and support...

#16 ·
Email me directly at ICANofBaltimore@comcast.net for the contact info you want.

Also, remind me to tell you about a lesbian couple I know who are already approved foster parents through Baltimore county and may be interested in adoption is you decide to go that route.

-Barbara Stratton

Quote:

Originally Posted by babigurl
I would like to go the more natural route this time around, I have an almost 11year old and am now almost 7 weeks pregnant. I have a history of miscarriage and with my first daughter I was on bed rest for 6 months
: due to pre-term labor that started right about where I am now. I haven't been having any problems thus far, but want to know more about midwifes and what they actually do. My current OB is over-protective (I have to see him every two weeks until I reach three months!!) and he likes to see his patients every 3 months instead of every 6 months so that may just be how he operates...

Is there any way that I can contact these women you guys are discussing to ask them some questions?

Also, I am strongly considering adoption as the baby is unplanned but am unsure of the route to take. I guess if I plan to raise the child myself I will have more questions about childcare and support...

#17 ·
if you had successful vaginal births prior to your c-section, and you're interested in using birthcare, you should call them before you rule them out.

their no HBAC rule is generally i think for women who have not had a successful vaginal birth - they will do, for example, a second VBAC once you've had a successful one. i imagine that extends to successful vaginal births prior to a c-section, especially if in your case it was due to multiples.

anyway, i had a fantastic experience with them, and they are wonderful women - it's worth a call to see. i'd ask to speak with either Marsha or Alice as they are the ones who set policies and make those kinds of decisions.

best of luck!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.