Looking for a birthing center in VT - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 05-10-2006, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved to Montpelier last week and I'm looking for a place to deliver in August. People have recommended four places: Central VT Hospital, Gifford, Copley, and Fletcher Allen. We've toured Gifford and CVH...hope to get to the other two this week. Does anyone have recommendations? I hate to make a decision without hearing from people who have actually used these birthing centers.

Any help is SO appreciated!

Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 12:24 PM

i can't speak from personal experience but i have many friends who have gone to gifford for their births and each one was very happy with their experience there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 08:12 PM

Gifford, for sure.

#4 of 10 Old 05-17-2006, 01:47 PM

Hey Lauren, is that you? It's April. How's Miss Claire? I would recommend Gifford too and I have attended births at all the ones you mentioned EXCEPT Gifford. By all accounts, it's the best.

Cheers!
#5 of 10 Old 05-17-2006, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
I highly recommend Gifford. I had two home births and then a Gifford birth. Gifford is the next best thing to homebirth. Wonderful midwives, excellent Ob/gyns (if needed), repectful pediatricians, cool nurses, very 'homey' feel (for a hospital), no problems whatsoever with co-sleeping, delayed/no vacc, etc., lots of support for breastfeeding, actually really good food, lots of support for siblings, and they give you a free car seat to go home with!

User Agreement--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 of 10 Old 05-17-2006, 11:21 PM

So my opinions would be biased. I adore the midwives, I loved my care but they've recently put a lot of $$ into a new birthing center that's WAY more "sterile" than it used to be. It used to be more homey and now it's all high tech. I didn't care, I was more into having my son than the decor. I didn't deliver vaginally, it was a c-section, but if I did deliver vaginally it would've been hard to "go within" and focus, it seemed too clinical.. then again I was in sheer intense agony at the time so probably anything looked blech!!

Looks aside, my care was always fabulous and they stuck to the very letter of my birthing plan.

I've heard good things about Gifford too. I HATE Central Vermont. Sorry but I do. I was 7 months pregnant, I was blind-sided by a car and was taken to emergency. I was left for over >>2<< hours in the ER laying flat on my back strapped to one of those boards. I seem to remember, somewhere, where they say not to lie flat on your back???? ahem yeah.. so... I complained whole heartedly but with only one physician on call.... yeah. That baby is now my 11 year old princess
#7 of 10 Old 05-19-2006, 09:19 AM

If you need some names at FA, my SIL is a CNM there...but she speaks very highly of Gifford. I could certainly get some names from her if your interested. Just pm me. (I dont live in VT, but all my IL's are)
#8 of 10 Old 05-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Another Gifford vote-
I had my daughter there and will be having my next one there as well. They are all SOO nice and pleasant. When my daughter was a newborn I called them all the time to ask stupid questions and they never acted like I was stupid or that they had heard the question a million times.
#9 of 10 Old 05-21-2006, 01:47 PM

Same here.
they give you a 1 800 nunber to call and talk to a nurse or midwife anyime. With my first, we called the first and second night home and just chatted with someone. It was so reassuring and so nice. The place is really great and very supportive of any approach to birth and parenting. I really liked the midwives- there are about 4 of them that run the place. It is small and homey. I think they do about 350 births a year, so there is a good chance you have the place to yourself when you go in. Nice place- nice tub room, nice double bed room, etc
#10 of 10 Old 05-22-2006, 02:01 PM

hi! i just saw this post and thought i would add my two cents! You all are right about Gifford medical center being a great facility. As a midwife myself, Gifford has been a fantastic facility to transport clients that could not birth at home . They have been very supportive and practice the Midwifery Model of Care. The environment is visually pleasing and conducive to birthing. All that said, I do know that last fall the husband/wife OBs have relocated to Hawaii (!!!) and many things have changed at Gifford. I would imagine the nursing staff is still very compassionate, etc.. but I do know that they have experienced a shift. Best to explore it yourself. Also, if you are interested, check out the Vermont Midwives Alliance website (vermontmidwivesalliance.com). Many of us are homebirth midwives, the closest to you would be Erin Ryan and Bonne Dunham- very good midwives-with an office right in downtown Montpelier.
All the best to you!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page