Mothering Forum banner

Sivan to Tisha b'Av Jewish Mamas tribe!

12K views 666 replies 48 participants last post by  SaraFR 
#1 ·
New thread!

#3 ·
See, this is why I don't start the new threads- I just post on the old ones "isn't it time for a new one?" I have no clue what's going on with the Jewish calendar other than Shabbat and Yom Tov- I'm supposed to know the names of the months, and the holidays more than a couple days before they arrive?

#4 ·
Ah, well. If it gets too long we can always do another new one.

Ruth, you need that song:

Nissan, Iyar, Sivan, Tammuz. Av, Elul, Tishrei, Cheshvan. Kislev, Tevet, Shvat and Adar, The Months of the Jewish Year.

I forget the name of the tune, but they do the same tune for the shevatim (tribes) --

Reuven, Shimon, Levi, Yehuda, Yissachar, Zvulun, Dan, Naftali. Gad, Asher, Yosef, Binyomin, These are the 12 Shevatim.

(on the Children's Favorites Jewish Music tape -- Uncle Moishy maybe?)

Chava, do you know the answer to this question: why do Yosef's sons Menashe and Ephraim have lands in Eretz Yisroel when they were not part of the original shevatim, and Yosef does not?

#5 ·
Subbing.

3daughters: from the other thread...

I would try to get someone to come up the hospital then and care for the baby there....especially with a nursing baby....and a sick other child. It is very hard to pump at the hospital, and very easy to lose a good supply while under so much stress and not enough baby at the breast...at least in my experience.

I would have someone who could take the older child to school and pick him up and bring him up to the hospital. I would stock their freezer with food. I would bring them meals to the hospital....plus non-perishables: peanut butter, bread, snacks, drinks. I would also bring them books....something distracting to read...something quick, something not too heavy, something fun. Also a journal to record whatever they want.

Are their ladies in your community---older grandma types who could come with them and care for the baby: diaper changes, etc. Plus mei tai is pretty easy...but sling is also great. Slings are also great for the baby who is hospitalized...or toddler. Depending on what they are hooked up to. And in what condition...post surgery...etc.

I really think there should be some kind of AP guide for parents with a baby/child in the hospital.

I have heard many positive positive things about CHOP. It's one of the few places I would have my son in-hospital. Boston Children's. Texas Children's. CHOP. And potentially Seattle Children's.

But that's neither here nor there.

s

mv

#6 ·
Having a sick child in the hospital and other children as well is such a huge stress. When my son was born my daughter was 2. Ari ended up in the pediatric unit for 8 days and I stayed with him. Luckily my dh had paternity leave and was with my daughter, and we had plenty of family around. But she was nursing at the time and I could see she was stressed, I had never left her. I still remember the feeling of wanting her to be at the hospital with us so I could be near her and see that she was ok. But, she got bored there and I was grateful when someone would take her out for the morning or the afternoon. But as soon as she was gone, I'd worry about her. It was the most stressful week of my life. I don't know how I'd manage on a long-term basis. But I'd definitely want the kids with me, and it would stress me out if that wasn't the best solution.

Take care!

#7 ·
subbing

Nicole,
I learned that Ephraim and Menashe were on such a high level because they were the first generation to be born outside of Israel, and yet still managed to be such Tzadaikim that they were granted status of the generation before them. As to why Yosef didn't get a portion, I'm not sure,

Abby

#11 ·
Hey! It's official...we're CABLE TV-FREE!

We got cable a few months ago when MIL came to live with us because she just "had" to have it. In the meantime my kids have become addicted to Noggin.

Today I called to cancel it. BUH BYE NOGGIN.

I am predicting major rebellion in the ranks. We do have lots of videos. Maybe I ought to go find an Uncle Moishy video to borrow for a couple days while the shock wears off, lol.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry

We got cable a few months ago when MIL came to live with us because she just "had" to have it. In the meantime my kids have become addicted to Noggin.

I am predicting major rebellion in the ranks. We do have lots of videos. Maybe I ought to go find an Uncle Moishy video to borrow for a couple days while the shock wears off, lol.
We have removed those channels from time to time and only kept the basic network channels so dh and I can watch the news. It is always nice to say goodbye to that distraction.

#14 ·
Quote:

Hey- you can come watch Noggin at my house.

Seriously, if I had to pay for cable we wouldn't have it. My parents have it on their 2 TVs and the extra cost per month for a 3rd TV is negligable (to them) so it's "there."

#16 ·
one child in the hospital is so hard
sadly, we had some experience with this this year, as DS was hospitalized for a week. DD was 4 months old and DS was 24 months old. i took him to see his doc at the hospital and his ped said "i'm going to have to admit him". we were so unprepared! DH was at work in the bronx (we were in brooklyn), didn't have a cell phone etc...i hadn't brought anything other than a few diapers and two MT with us (i wear both kids, one front one back if need be and that's how we get around the city/subway). the hospital staff kept trying to get me to leave DS alone- go do paperwork, go home etc. um, leave my sick, scared toddler alone in a strange place?? i refused. eventually they brought me the paperwork and DH arrived and then DD and i went home. the next day they wouldn't let DD and i in to visit because they didn't want babies in the pediatric ward. my ped intervened, thankfully, and we were able to go up, BUT they would only allow DD to stay for 30-60 min a day. thank g-d DH has the kind of job where he could just take a week off and stay in the hospital with DS.

my heart really goes out to families with sick kiddos, and those trying to balance the needs of the hospitalized child and the baby
it's a tough juggling act.

yay for being cable free!!

#17 ·
Bella spent four days in the hospital, and the kids spent most of that time with my mom and with Mike and his parents. It was completely insane.
However, it's easier for BeanBean and BooBah to deal with than it would be for Bella. BeanBean is old enough to understand what's going on, and BooBah is so mellow and laid back that it's really all good to her, as long as she gets fed regularly and is given the space to do things "By mysewf!"
Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd handle it if, for example, BooBah was the patient and Bella had to go home. I'd probably end up keeping her with me anyway, wearing her in the sling 24/7.

The hospital that Bella was in (and BooBah, back in the day) seems to be organized a bit differently from others that I've heard about. First of all, there are only two semi-private rooms, and they tend to have older children with minimal issues in them. Children 18 and under are allowed to have a parent with them 24 hours a day, they have cots in the rooms, and they're given meal vouchers for lunch and dinner (there's a cart that arrives around 5:30am with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, bagels, etc. for breakfast). There's even a fridge that's kept stocked just for parents with soda and sandwiches, for the middle of the night. I wore Bella in the sling most of the time that she was in there, and spent a lot of times walking the halls with her, swinging her little IV pump in my hand and giving her a finger on the other (this happened to be right around the time that her reflux began to make her miserable).

There's a playroom at the end of the hall; when BeanBean and BooBah came in to visit their sister, we took all three kids down to the playroom and they had a grand time. It was a lot easier to keep an eye on them in there than it was in Bella's room, which wasn't small but wasn't gigantic, either. In a way it was a bit different, because after a toy was played with it had to go into the box to be washed, but other than that it was a good time. They really liked visiting Bella in the hospital.
I think that it could have been a lot worse.

#19 ·
We are totally TV free here for the past few mos. We never had a TV, my MIL 'gifted' us with a TV/VCR b/c she thought it was positively primitive that we didnt' have one. As the kids got older, it was more of a temptation and there is less 'kosher' to watch that they have any interest in. So we put it in the garage. Thank G-d! They complained for a few days and that was the end of it.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laisett
one child in the hospital is so hard
sadly, we had some experience with this this year, as DS was hospitalized for a week. DD was 4 months old and DS was 24 months old. i took him to see his doc at the hospital and his ped said "i'm going to have to admit him". we were so unprepared! DH was at work in the bronx (we were in brooklyn), didn't have a cell phone etc...i hadn't brought anything other than a few diapers and two MT with us (i wear both kids, one front one back if need be and that's how we get around the city/subway). the hospital staff kept trying to get me to leave DS alone- go do paperwork, go home etc. um, leave my sick, scared toddler alone in a strange place?? i refused. eventually they brought me the paperwork and DH arrived and then DD and i went home. the next day they wouldn't let DD and i in to visit because they didn't want babies in the pediatric ward. my ped intervened, thankfully, and we were able to go up, BUT they would only allow DD to stay for 30-60 min a day. thank g-d DH has the kind of job where he could just take a week off and stay in the hospital with DS.
: I'd have blown a gasket, lemme tell you... There were kids on the floor with contact precautions (everyone knew, because they put signs on the door) and I'd have been hesitant to have my older kids in if Bella had been contagious, but other than that there's no reason not to allow kids in to see their own siblings. That had to suck!

#22 ·
Quote:

Ah, well. If it gets too long we can always do another new one.

Ruth, you need that song:

Nissan, Iyar, Sivan, Tammuz. Av, Elul, Tishrei, Cheshvan. Kislev, Tevet, Shvat and Adar, The Months of the Jewish Year.

I forget the name of the tune, but they do the same tune for the shevatim (tribes) --

Reuven, Shimon, Levi, Yehuda, Yissachar, Zvulun, Dan, Naftali. Gad, Asher, Yosef, Binyomin, These are the 12 Shevatim.

(on the Children's Favorites Jewish Music tape -- Uncle Moishy maybe?)

Chava, do you know the answer to this question: why do Yosef's sons Menashe and Ephraim have lands in Eretz Yisroel when they were not part of the original shevatim, and Yosef does not?

The tune is the Ten Little Indians

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laisett
mamaverdi- no, it was not a pediatric hospital. i was shocked when they told me i couldn't go see my son! i'm glad to know that other hospitals aren't like this...
IMO it's the absolute biggest reason to never put your child anywhere but a children's hospital.

My mom tells this story of when she got her tonsils out in the late 50s...She was 5...They just dropped them off at the hospital, and all the children slept in a ward together...no privacy, no parents, nothing....And then they went home in a week. She said it was so scary and so lonely.

mv

#24 ·
Grrr.

My girls have been invited to a pool party this coming Friday afternoon. It was schedualed to end before Shabbos, and the girls were really excited about going and seeing all their old friends from the old neighborhood. The kids (girl in one DD's grade and a boy in the other DD's grade) have summer birthdays but the mom usually has a joint party for them in June or September since so many people go away in the summer.

Well, the mom just called me to tell me she's changing the party- to Saturday morning/afternoon!! The girls won't be able to go.

I just spent $40 (that I had to borrow from my parents) buying them birthday gifts (barnes and noble giftcards.) Now I'm wondering if I should still give them the gifts, save them for other birthday gifts, or spend them buying books for ourselves.

#25 ·
Yay! I get to use the dancing vegetables!

DD2 wore underpants yesterday (Elmo is my new best friend.) and she stayed dry all day. She didn't want to take them off to go to bed. We insisted she wear "night time underpants" (Pull Ups). Around midnight, she wanted water and to go pee in the potty. She was dry then, and still dry in the morning, when she asked to go pee in the potty again. She has been wearing underpants today, too. She pulled them down and went poop in the potty. She stayed dry when we went to vote and to go to the playground.
:
:
:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.