OHSU: 18yo non-ADHD subjects needed for ADHD sleep study - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2006, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine at OHSU is having a hard time finding subjects for a research study of melatonin rhythms in persons with and without Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Because it is looking for non-drug treatments for ADHD, I thought there might be some interest here.

Here's the particulars:

Research Study Opportunity

Topic: Research Study of Melatonin Rhythms in Persons with and without Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

George Keepers, M.D., Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), is seeking healthy 18-year-olds who do not have ADHD. The purpose of this research study is to compare sleep patterns in those with and without ADHD. In order to do this, we are studying a hormone made in the brain at night called melatonin.

The one-year study involves 16 overnight admissions (4 visits at each season) for intermittent blood sampling at the OHSU General Clinical Research Center (GCRC). All tests are performed at no charge to the participants.

Participants will be compensated up to $1635.00 for one year of participation—$70.00 for each overnight admission to the OHSU GCRC; $1.00 per day for completing a sleep diary and wearing a small wristwatch-like device called an actiwatch; and $150.00 for completing the study. For further details and information, please call Neelam Mishra at 503-494-7961.

OHSU eIRB# 347
protocol approved: September 22, 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 01:31 PM

I am a high school social studies teacher currently teaching high school psychology. I will let my students know about this opportunity.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:09 PM

Hey, I used to work in that lab! (My job was to analyze all the samples for melatonin.) If anyone is on the fence about participating, I'd like to pipe in and say that it's a pretty good deal. You don't have to do anything but show up and hang out, watch TV, eat free food, etc. You have to give blood samples, but they put a tiny catheter in your arm so it's only one little needle stick for the entire time. The pay is pretty good. Melatonin has no side effects, and you might get the placebo anyway. Two thumbs up!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I hope they can get enough people; it looks like an interesting and promising study.

User Tag List