Cincinnati/Dayton/Northern Kentucky - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new here and looking for other moms in the areas listed above. I'm in West Chester, Ohio which is pretty easily accessible to all of those areas.

I've had a hard time finding other likeminded mamas! I just started CD'ing on my third child because well...I just didn't do it before. I think i'm the only mama I know who didn't circ her boys, or who went natural.

Speak up and let me know I'm not alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2006, 01:21 AM

We moved to Wilmington in Feb and I'm in the same boat. Where we came from I was the most conservative person in my group of freinds and now everytime I leave my house I get "Oh its that weird hippy woman" looks. ::sigh::
Old 06-18-2006, 04:26 PM

Hi Kerinda- I'm down at the tri-state on the Indiana side- so not close enough to be much neighborly support- but there are plenty of like minded people out here- you'll find them soon enough.

Love Sarah
Old 06-18-2006, 11:59 PM

hi! the first tuesday of each month there is a moms tea at the blue manatee bookstore in oakley (in cincinnati) in the morning around 10 i think. anyway you can meet like minded mothers there and get informed about other resources in cincinnati.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerinda
I'm new here and looking for other moms in the areas listed above. I'm in West Chester, Ohio which is pretty easily accessible to all of those areas.

I've had a hard time finding other likeminded mamas! I just started CD'ing on my third child because well...I just didn't do it before. I think i'm the only mama I know who didn't circ her boys, or who went natural.

Speak up and let me know I'm not alone!
Hi Kerinda I am your neighbor!

Well, I am in Mason, but VERY CLOSE! I am 1 mile from Tylersville!

welcome to MDC!
Old 06-23-2006, 04:03 PM

We just moved to the Loveland/Milford area from Michigan. My boys (4 and 5) are looking for some friends to play with and I would love to meet another mom. We cloth diapered, no circ, etc. What ages are you children? Can you tell I am excited to meet someone! Aloe
Old 06-27-2006, 02:52 AM

Welcome to all the mamas new to the area!

We moved here 3 yrs ago, and other than LLL and the Cincinnati Waldorf School, there didn't seem to be a lot of places to meet other likeminded mamas. It's so nice to see how things have grown since then - there are now many options for meeting others who tend towards a more natural parenting approach.

I'm in southwest Cincy (about 10-15 minutes NW from Union Terminal/Cincinnati Museum Center), so not terribly close to West Chester, but there is a fantastic group of mamas in your area (Mason/Maineville/Loveland/West Chester). If I didn't live so far away (90 min-2 hrs round trip), and if I weren't such a HUGE wuss about leaving the house with 2 kids (3 y.o. DD and 4 m.o. DS) by myself (yeah, I'm still struggling with the transition from 1 to 2 kids!), I'd love to attend their playgroups. I think they meet on Tuesdays and some Fridays? Anyway, check out the NorthEast mamas to see if the group suits you.

There's also a large online group, CincinnatiAttachedParents, where you can introduce yourself and see if there are folks near you - there are folks from all over Greater Cincy/NKY/Dayton/etc. on this list. AND, there's a really wonderful mama in this group that runs an excellent monthly AP bookclub, 3rd Saturday of each month - the book for July & August is Leidloff's The Continuum Concept (and I think the August meeting is at the Deerfield Panera which is near West Chester?).

Don't forget the monthly meetings of parenting support groups:
* La Leche League (see Northwest Cincinnati and Mason/Montgomery groups)
* Attachment Parenting International - local chapter meets on the 2nd Saturday of each month API-Cincinnati (where dads/partners are also welcome!)
* DiaperFreeBaby - local chapter, CincinnatiDFB meets the final Thursday of each month

And other good places to meet natural minded mamas, as well: Cincinnati Homebirth group meets monthly, or support birth options/help out with birth advocacy with the Cincinnati Birth Collective and CincyBirth.org.

...so all that in addition to the previously mentioned Mom's Tea!

Hope that gives you a few good leads.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:53 AM

Thank you so much for the leads!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:38 PM

The Blue Manatee is still open? For some odd reason I thought they closed that a while ago. Did they move?
Old 06-30-2006, 05:39 PM

Hi Kerinda! I'm checking in. I'm on the east side of Cincy!
Old 07-07-2006, 05:43 PM

yes the blue manatee is still open and they have added a kids cafe too. it is really nice.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset
The Blue Manatee is still open? For some odd reason I thought they closed that a while ago. Did they move?
I thought so too!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:58 PM

Just a reminder that the following meetings are still happening this month:

Saturday, July 8th *TOMORROW*
API-Cincinnati 4-5:30pm @ Norwood library meeting rm
Topic: SLEEP! (though any AP-related issues are welcome!)

Wednesday, July 12th
LLL Blue Ash/Kenwood 10a @ Montgomery Assembly of God Church
Topic: Hidden Feelings... When Your Feelings Take the Joy Out of Mothering

Tuesday, July 18th
LLL Hyde Park 6:30pm @ Knox Presbyterian Church (at Erie & Michigan)
LLL Blue Ash/Kenwood 7:00p @ Montgomery Assembly of God Church

Thursday, July 20th
LLL Spring Grove 10a @ Church of Our Saviour (Hollister Ave off Auburn
Ave in Clifton)

Saturday, July 22nd, 2006
Cincinnati Homebirth - join group for location info

Thursday, July 27th, 2006
Cincinnati DiaperFreeBaby 10-11:30 @ Green Twnshp Library Meeting Rm

Saturday, July 29th, 2006
Free Babywearing Class 10a-Noon @ Blue Ash Library Meeting Rm

...and please note that there are MORE La Leche League groups meeting than I have listed - please check LLL's Cincy/NKY website to find out about other group meeting times & locations.

And oh, blue manatee (http://www.bluemanateebooks.com/)!!! They simply *rock* - they even have German, French, and Spanish storytimes in addition to their regular storytimes, and the new cafe is great... worth the trip every time! I just wish we were within walking distance.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Cincy moms, I am an AP mom living in Baja. We have been here for 2 years and lived in Cincinnati 2 years before that. We still have a house in Cincy that hasn't sold and some friends that I stay in touch with. Anyway, we moved when I was pregnant and have been living internationally since. It has been really hard living in a new place and a foreign place at that, even though I love the culture and language here. I have considered many times moving to San Diego to have a community of women around me and my family, etc. but it is unlikely that we could afford it. Now that I am here, I have a different perspective on S.Cal/San Diego than I did before (I lived in SD before Cincy for 4 years)--mostly because of being a mom. I know that Cincy has it's cons, but there are alot of pros for families! I think we moved back west thinking that was where we wanted to be: near family, nice weather, etc.. and have realized it isn't all it has cracked up to be! Anyone out there that can relate to this?

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

Old 07-11-2006, 05:16 PM

Hi. I'm in West Chester as well. I have a 19 month old daughter. I'm a member of the north east ap group that someone else posted and have learned a lot from it. I haven't made it to a playgroup yet, but have met many of the moms at LLL and they are great.

Tara

-Tara, mama to A 12-7-04 and C 7-28-07, and another making a debut in September
Old 07-12-2006, 02:23 AM

(bumping!)

Saturday, July 22nd, 2006 @ 11am
Cincinnati Homebirth meeting @ Wild Oats in Rookwood, near the "community center" sign

User Tag List