Homebirth midwife/birth center in SEPA/Bucks County/Philly/Trenton area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 49 Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 PM

I gave birth at the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, PA. I don't know if that's close to you at all. I had a great experience there. I traveled 45 min-1 hour each way.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#3 of 49 Old 06-29-2006, 08:21 PM

Nobody But the Best!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#4 of 49 Old 06-29-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymamato2
I gave birth at the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, PA. I don't know if that's close to you at all. I had a great experience there. I traveled 45 min-1 hour each way.
they do not do vbacs, unless you were a client when you had your 1st csection and you would probably have to birth at the hospital.. . I had my first with the birth center.. It was unfortuantly a csection!!! Here is a list of midwives I've found, and I've heard of several of them.. and will probably internview 2 of them for a future pregnancy..

http://philly.babyzone.com/parentresources.asp?prid=237
#5 of 49 Old 06-30-2006, 01:09 AM

Pennington
midwives
are close. They are homebirth midwives but I don't think they do hbacs (illegal in NJ but I don't know about what they do with PA moms). I haven't used them personally but I've heard good things about them from several people. No birthing centers in NJ so they also deliver at a hospital. Their website has info on accepting insurance.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#6 of 49 Old 06-30-2006, 09:54 AM

TBC won't do a VBAC at their birth center. They'd do it over at Bryn Mawr, but as a PP said, I think that's only for previous clients.

I've heard wonderful things about Woman Wise. A friend used them for an attempted VBAC.
#7 of 49 Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE
I second this recommendation. I just switched from the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr to Christy and Karen with WomanWise -- the difference in care is astoundingly wonderful. I've heard nothing but great things about them - though I'm still pregnant with my first so I don't have true first-hand experience I'd encourage you to call them. There are several other homebirth midwives in the area -
http://www.risingmoommidwifery.com/index.html
http://www.birthpartners.com/Search/...delphia/50/589
http://www.newbirthexperiences.com/index.html

I also really like the Rising Moon midwives, but our personalities clicked better with Karen and Christy.

I don't know their policies on VBAC but they would be able to offer you information and resources regardless...

Hope that helps!
#8 of 49 Old 06-30-2006, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much!

I looked into TBC, that place would be perfect for us if it weren't for the no-VBAC thing

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#9 of 49 Old 06-30-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsoup
I second this recommendation. I just switched from the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr to Christy and Karen with WomanWise -- the difference in care is astoundingly wonderful. I've heard nothing but great things about them - though I'm still pregnant with my first so I don't have true first-hand experience I'd encourage you to call them. There are several other homebirth midwives in the area -
http://www.risingmoommidwifery.com/index.html
http://www.birthpartners.com/Search/...delphia/50/589
http://www.newbirthexperiences.com/index.html

I also really like the Rising Moon midwives, but our personalities clicked better with Karen and Christy.

I don't know their policies on VBAC but they would be able to offer you information and resources regardless...

Hope that helps!
What did u think of your care with the TBC.. I like 2 midwives out of 6..and I got the 2 tht I didnt like for my birth.. It was terrible-- Not hte support I envisioned having! ( I had a really long labor)
#10 of 49 Old 06-30-2006, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE
I would LOVE to use WomanWise but they don't take insurance and I can't afford to pay out of pocket They were my first choice until I found that out!

#11 of 49 Old 06-30-2006, 05:05 PM

Midwifery Traditions in Ambler is wonderful, but I don't think they do VBAC's at home (they also deliver at Chestnut Hill Hospital). If I were you I think I'd call Barb over at Valley Midwifery Birth Center first just to see what she says.
#12 of 49 Old 06-30-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by polkadotsjonas
I would LOVE to use WomanWise but they don't take insurance and I can't afford to pay out of pocket They were my first choice until I found that out!
That's too bad, b/c Karen and Christy were WONDERFUL! It's too bad that the VBAC climate in hospitals (and really in general) is terrible in this area. DS was supposed to be delivered at TBC and I ended up with a c/s, due to my son being postierior. When I was pregnant with DD, I went for my records and they wanted to know why I wasn't going to deliver there. I told them that I thought they didn't attend VBACs and I was informed that all my prenatal care would be through them, but I would deliver across the street. But then she added, "Well, the drs aren't too keen on VBACs, so they wouldn't be much support." Uh, hello? I wanted to maximize my chances, not erase them! I didn't have much luck with any other OBs I saw in the area. Phooey. Good luck in your search!
#13 of 49 Old 06-30-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals95
That's too bad, b/c Karen and Christy were WONDERFUL! It's too bad that the VBAC climate in hospitals (and really in general) is terrible in this area. DS was supposed to be delivered at TBC and I ended up with a c/s, due to my son being postierior. When I was pregnant with DD, I went for my records and they wanted to know why I wasn't going to deliver there. I told them that I thought they didn't attend VBACs and I was informed that all my prenatal care would be through them, but I would deliver across the street. But then she added, "Well, the drs aren't too keen on VBACs, so they wouldn't be much support." Uh, hello? I wanted to maximize my chances, not erase them! I didn't have much luck with any other OBs I saw in the area. Phooey. Good luck in your search!
Exactly the reason I'm NOT going back there, Who was it that you spoke too???
#14 of 49 Old 07-01-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2julia
Exactly the reason I'm NOT going back there, Who was it that you spoke too???
Actually, it was about a year and a half ago and I don't remember her name, but I know she was "in charge". Whatever. So I had a homebirth instead
#15 of 49 Old 07-01-2006, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke
Midwifery Traditions in Ambler is wonderful, but I don't think they do VBAC's at home (they also deliver at Chestnut Hill Hospital). If I were you I think I'd call Barb over at Valley Midwifery Birth Center first just to see what she says.
I actually have an appointment with Valley Birth Center on July 31st but they don't do VBAC's in the center either-- receptionist told me that any ACOG-certified center requires VBACs to be in hospital : We were planning on UC initially anyway though so we will *probably* go there for prenatal care and UC when the time comes.

#16 of 49 Old 07-04-2006, 10:30 PM

I used the Pennington Midwives. midwiferycare.org They can certainly be a good recource. I love them and know many mama's with all different situations that have used them and trust them completely.
#17 of 49 Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
What did u think of your care with the TBC.. I like 2 midwives out of 6..and I got the 2 tht I didnt like for my birth.. It was terrible-- Not hte support I envisioned having! ( I had a really long labor)
Initially we were totally fine with the Birth Center -- they seemed nice, took lots of time with us at appointments, were very inclusive of my husband who came to every appointment... But as we became more educated through our Bradley class, we started asking more specific questions about policies and procedures, and then we started getting freaked out. Specifically, after 42 weeks, boom, you have to go the hospital to give birth, they won't let you stay at TBC; and, when I asked about 3rd stage [delivering the placenta], they said, oh, we give you a shot of pit[ocin] and put traction on the cord. That was the last straw! Why intervene when there is absolutely no indication for doing so? That's what I was trying to avoid by avoiding the hospital in the first place! So I was pretty freaked out and at 8 months+ I started our search for homebirth midwives. SO glad we switched. It never occurred to me at TBC that I could build a personal relationship with my care provider so that I actually know and trust the people who will be supporting me during my birth! And I consider myself a well-educated person, and I'm a compulsive researcher and have read like crazy during my whole pregnancy, but even I barely escaped from the maw of non-evidence-based care that pervades in obstetrics, even in midwifery depending on the midwives!

Phew, what a rant!
#18 of 49 Old 07-05-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Initially we were totally fine with the Birth Center -- they seemed nice, took lots of time with us at appointments, were very inclusive of my husband who came to every appointment... But as we became more educated through our Bradley class, we started asking more specific questions about policies and procedures, and then we started getting freaked out. Specifically, after 42 weeks, boom, you have to go the hospital to give birth, they won't let you stay at TBC; and, when I asked about 3rd stage [delivering the placenta], they said, oh, we give you a shot of pit[ocin] and put traction on the cord. That was the last straw! Why intervene when there is absolutely no indication for doing so? That's what I was trying to avoid by avoiding the hospital in the first place! So I was pretty freaked out and at 8 months+ I started our search for homebirth midwives. SO glad we switched. It never occurred to me at TBC that I could build a personal relationship with my care provider so that I actually know and trust the people who will be supporting me during my birth! And I consider myself a well-educated person, and I'm a compulsive researcher and have read like crazy during my whole pregnancy, but even I barely escaped from the maw of non-evidence-based care that pervades in obstetrics, even in midwifery depending on the midwives!

Phew, what a rant!

Hmmm, my sentiments exactly! Especially the part about "seemed nice, took lots of time with us and very inclusive of DH". On the surface, it all SEEMS not like the hospital, but after all, they are subject to the policies of the supervising dr. I've started referring to TBC as "hospital lite", since that's pretty much what they are.
#19 of 49 Old 07-05-2006, 04:17 PM

i love and recommend kate and merle at rising moon in philly and chester springs, and they do their best to accept insurance. i've heard good things about TBC but i was told they perform c-sections for breech babies, and that they're not so VBAC friendly.
#20 of 49 Old 07-05-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyhorne
i love and recommend kate and merle at rising moon in philly and chester springs, and they do their best to accept insurance. i've heard good things about TBC but i was told they perform c-sections for breech babies, and that they're not so VBAC friendly.
Even though we chose Karen & Christy with WomanWise, we also really liked Kate and Merle when we interviewed them. Both practices use a billing service to do their professional best to convince your insurance company to reimburse; amounts depend but at least with ours (Aetna) it looks like the chances are good that we'll get up to 80% (hoping!).
#21 of 49 Old 07-05-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals95
Hmmm, my sentiments exactly! Especially the part about "seemed nice, took lots of time with us and very inclusive of DH". On the surface, it all SEEMS not like the hospital, but after all, they are subject to the policies of the supervising dr. I've started referring to TBC as "hospital lite", since that's pretty much what they are.
exactly and I totally took that for granted and "trusted" them.. well I ended up at Byrn Mawr with a Csection with no encouragement to keep going.. and when I was up in recovery NOT ONE midwive came to check on me..NOT ONE.. they didnt have time..It was bullshit.. I will never ever go there again..
#22 of 49 Old 07-06-2006, 05:58 PM

I used TBC with my first child, my son, who ended up a footling breech. I ended up with a section and was completely abandoned by TBC. Good thing I had a great doula and had done a crapload of reading -- I knew what I wanted and how to get it out of the hospital.

Second child -- I used Womanwise (I have Aetna too -- no $$ for the birth!) -- they do VBACS happily. My second turned breech at 32 weeks and wouldn't turn despite my great attempts to get her head down. We all agreed that a VBAC breech homebirth to a more than 9 lb baby was not a great idea, so I waited for labor and had my section at 41 weeks with Scott Bailey at Lankenau. I paid the full fee and got no homebirth, but I LOVED Karen & Christy. There just isn't a midwife around (except maybe Kathy Hindle) who is as experienced as these two put together. They are also super sweet, and I consider them to be friends now.

FWIW -- I controlled both of my birth experiences to a great degree, had good/happy births with them both and never had an ounce of trouble breastfeeding or in the hospitals. I declined everything, co-slept, stayed only 1 day in the hospital and then went home. A 6 month healing period is not my idea of fun, but you can have a positive c-section experience if you take charge and make it your own, even if your strongest desire -- like mine was -- is to have a natural, uncomplicated, powerful, amazing, vaginal birth.

Marie
#23 of 49 Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 PM

You may want to look into Lawrence ObGyn. They have both midwives and OBs. They have offices in Yardley, PA, and Lawrenceville, NJ. I think they're affiliated with Capital Health System - Mercer (Trenton) and Princeton Medical Center.

I started going to the midwives there for my yearly exams after a completely awful birth experience with another OB. My first visit there, Bridgette asked me why I switched to a midwife after going to an OB for the birth of my son. When I responded that I fell into attachment parenting after the birth of a fussy baby, and found out that how I was parenting had a name to it, and that I was extremely disappointed in how pressured into an induction I was by my OB, she just smiled. The first words out of her mouth were "Well, we'll get you the VBAC that I'm sure you'll want after that birth experience. No problem. Just let me know when you want to get pregnant again!". So while I'm not currently pregnant, when I do have another child I will definately be going for a VBAC and will completely trust the midwives at this office to help me with the process.

I delivered my son at CHS-Mercer in Trenton, and the nurses there were absolutely wonderful. I wouldn't go anywhere else if I ever have another baby.

The phone # of the Lawrence office is 609-896-1400. I don't have the # for the Yardley office, that would be closer to you, but I'm sure that the Lawrence office can give it to you, if you're interested.
#24 of 49 Old 07-06-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
exactly and I totally took that for granted and "trusted" them.. well I ended up at Byrn Mawr with a Csection with no encouragement to keep going.. and when I was up in recovery NOT ONE midwive came to check on me..NOT ONE.. they didnt have time..It was bullshit.. I will never ever go there again..
mommy2julia, that really stinks that they couldn't make the time for you. That's the one thing I got from them at least....visits in the hospital. I'm not saying it made up for the rest of my birth experience, but at least I got that.

I definitely second what pp have said about Christy and Karen. Just spectacular care and I will not be going back to a hospital for birth, if we have any more!
#25 of 49 Old 07-06-2006, 10:44 PM

I birthed both of my children at Valley Birthplace in Huntingdon Valley. I love Barbara D'Amato!! She is very down-to-earth. She is willing to use traditional medicine but will always discuss it with the patient first. She broke my water after I had been in labor for 20 hours - at that point I was quite willing to do anything to help the labor along! Lauren is the new midwife-in-training. She does a lot of the appointments, but she won't do a birth on her own yet, I think. The appointments often lasted a long time - Barbara was very sure to make sure every question I had was answered, and then some. The downside of that same fact is that sometimes I had to wait a long time for my appointment. They don't mind if you call ahead and ask how far behind schedule they're running - that worked very well for me since I'm only five minutes away from them.

They have an on-site chiropractor (or at least they used to) who specializes in prenatal care. They also have a lactation consultant who they work with regularly.

Barbara is very knowlegeable about homeopathy and herbs. She encourages no circ, no vax, etc.

Lauren is not quite so knowlegeable, as she is still on the new side. She's quite capable to do all the regular appointments. But it's still nice to have Barbara around in case you had a more involved question or an unusual situation.

Barbara just coached a VBAC last month where the baby was coming out elbow first. Ouch! The momma was determined to do a VBAC, and Barbara supported her all the way.

I hope your appointment goes well!

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
#26 of 49 Old 07-07-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
oh, we give you a shot of pit[ocin] and put traction on the cord.
I was told by a friend who delivered there to watch out for the midwife who says that. Name starts with a B, right? I thought she looked real crunchy but really wasn't. I think the m/w who checked me upon arrival would have been the most crunchy of all of them.

I know for sure I didn't get pit, but she insisted on reaching inside me to pull on my bag of water to break it. What exactly does traction mean? I have really fuzzy memories of how the placenta began it's exit. They left her cord intact until it stopped pulsing, then clamped it. I do recall her asking to stop pushing, but there was no way to stop my body from expelling it. She was really nice and showed it to us thoroughly after checking it. Next time I'm having a homebirth for sure. Where we live it's going to be difficult to pull off, tho (GA).

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#27 of 49 Old 07-07-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I was told by a friend who delivered there to watch out for the midwife who says that. Name starts with a B, right? I thought she looked real crunchy but really wasn't. I think the m/w who checked me upon arrival would have been the most crunchy of all of them.

(GA).
Her name might be Betsey.. She wasnt my favorite to say the least.. she was partiallly responsible for my csection and NO encouragement.. SHe was nice but really not that chruncy..
#28 of 49 Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Actually it was Holly, their brand new midwife, but since she's so new she was probably just repeating what she heard another midwife say...

[/QUOTE] What exactly does traction mean? .[/QUOTE]
That they PULL on the cord to get the placenta to come out - yikes!
#29 of 49 Old 07-08-2006, 10:58 AM

I used Karen and Christy too... we didn't have insurance so it was out of pocket. We had to take out a title loan on our vehicle to pay them but it was worth every cent because I got the birth I wanted. My birth story is on their website... Monique
#30 of 49 Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=avendesoran
Barbara just coached a VBAC last month where the baby was coming out elbow first. Ouch! The momma was determined to do a VBAC, and Barbara supported her all the way.

[/QUOTE]

Hi, that was me, it was a long delivery, 4 hours of pushing to get his head and elbow out at the same time. Lauren basically delivered him, with Barbara watching and supporting her, giving input. I felt completely supported in succeeding with my VBAC by both of them. I knew it was taking a long time, and that they were concerned, but I never felt like they were losing faith. And my determination to not have another c/s was what kept me going.
So, yes I recommend them. And my experience with Chesnut Hill Hospital was positive. They were very kind and respectful of how we wanted our son to be taken care of.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page