Victoria's Secret Nurse In Feedback - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 07-01-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I guess I am a nerd. I got home first and wanted to see if anyone posted about this yet. So, I'll start . . .
I was at Lloyd Center. There were about 15-20 of us there. We sat outside the store in a row nursing. I noticed alot of smiles and nice comments from passerbyers. A security guard came over, saw what we were doing and immedietly CALLED FOR BACK UP He kept refering to the nurse in as "whatever it is you ladies are doing" and saying "I don't know what to call this" Duh LUNCH! He also really wanted to know who was in charge. Duh, God(ess). He told us we were not allowed to sit down so we stood and nursed. Then he came over repeatedly from having little meeting with his supervisor and thanked us for "cooperating with him especially since there are children involved".

All in all, I enjoyed it very much, loved meeting the other mamas and babies, and would really love to do this more often, maybe once a week at a different location each time. Anyone else?

I'm wondering how it went at the other stores?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-01-2006, 07:52 PM

There were 3 of us at Tanasbourne. Claudia is not nursing any more but is pregnant so she's obviously with the cause. I was worried that Damon would not want to nurse but it was after lunch and after he ran around for a while he did come to me and ask for booby time, so we sat on a bench outside and nursed. There was nowhere to sit inside and there's no way I can nurse him while standing! My hubby was worried that on the bench outside we wouldn't look like we were protesting anything but I said it was a silent kind of protest. Then Nichol showed up and we both nursed together, the 3 of us sitting on the bench. We got some looks, some smiles, but mostly we were ignored or viewed as a normal site. It was hot so we walked around inside the store with our kids a few times, but it was pretty crowded in there and we eventually walked to the fountain. I think we were there around an hour total. There were some other moms nursing around the fountain, but I don't think they were with our cause.

Anyway, it was good to see nursing moms out and about today! We picked a bad day to be at an outdoor mall, hope the rest of you enjoyed the AC in the malls. I can't wait to hear how it went at the other locations. Thanks for posting so soon!!!

:
#3 of 15 Old 07-01-2006, 08:19 PM

I was at Lloyd Center too, and I have to say NIP en masse rocked!

Honestly, I thought Mr. Befuddled Security Man coulda been much worse. So that was cool.

#4 of 15 Old 07-01-2006, 10:01 PM

I was at Washington Square. There was a pretty good turnout, although I am not sure if anybody told VS we were there. There was even a photographer, so hopefully we made some news. It was nice to meet some other moms. Sorry I didn't show up at Tanasbourne. Not sure why my husband couldn't spot you guys, but I'm glad there was a presence at all the stores.
#5 of 15 Old 07-01-2006, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
here in Salem, there were 7 of us mamas (!!) and we went INSIDE and stood and sat and nursed. Nobody else went inside??

It seemed like the employees were all privvy to the nurse-in and were told not to say a word.

Oh, and some of us brought the coupons from Allure for a free pair of panties!
#6 of 15 Old 07-01-2006, 10:37 PM

Yeah, the Lloyd center group was a blast. I really like the guy entering the store who said, "scary" as he walked by me while I sat on the floor nursing. What was "scary" was the feathered bra on the model in the store. I can't wait to hear how things went at Clackamas.
#7 of 15 Old 07-01-2006, 11:22 PM

DAMN! I leave town for a week and miss all the excitement... Anyone care to fill me in?
#8 of 15 Old 07-02-2006, 12:28 AM

There was a Clackamas update in the Oregon thread. They sent a reporter but no camera crew and not even a photographer. : In that sense, Wash Sq actually ended up with better coverage. The photographer there asked for names, ages, the whole bit.
#9 of 15 Old 07-02-2006, 12:40 AM

wait, a guy said "scary" as he went by us at Lloyd Center VS? sad, sad.

those feather bras *were* a little funky, weren't they?

i have a VS charge card i never use. one more reason to cancel the darn thing!
#10 of 15 Old 07-02-2006, 01:27 AM

I just saw a little clip about the Seattle one on Northwest Cable news. I don't know if the PDX ones made the news or not. I'll have to record the 11:00 news.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#11 of 15 Old 07-02-2006, 11:49 AM

I thought our nurse-in (Lloyd Center) was FAB! When I arrived, I counted 29 of us mamas! I WISH there had been some news coverage, I was all ready with my speech! It was really awesome to meet some of you lovely mamas in person, but I still forgot to put names to faces...me, I was the crazy sign holding lady.

The security guard told us we couldn't sit, then he told us we couldn't hold signs, block the entrance, etc., and he kept coming back (I think he just wanted a peek at some boobies!) and finally brought his supervisors down to stand and watch us (a little creepy) and we asked him if perhaps they shouldn't be concentrating on catching shoplifters or something...

The VS manager came out at one point and asked us what it was all about, and she was very nice, she said at their store mamas breastfeed all the time, so I think we really were supporting our sisters in other less tolerant places.

Here are the only two news stories I've found:
http://www.projo.com/news/content/pr...n.1709b25.html

and here in Oregon at the Clackamas VS
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...300.xml&coll=7

You mamas rock!
#12 of 15 Old 07-02-2006, 02:37 PM

That woman in the first article rocks! How brave.

The publication that sent a photographer to Wash Sq was the Beaverton Valley Times. I checked their website, and they publish weekly on Thursdays.
#13 of 15 Old 07-02-2006, 07:58 PM

Howdy mamas, I was at Lloyd Center and had a GREAT time! This was my first nurse-in and Cody and I had a GREAT time! You ladies were all so great to chat with and it felt very welcoming and comfortable, so thank you!!! In fact, there was one mama there (didn't catch your name, sorry!) that had this really cool baby sling that I asked about. Mama, if you're out there, could you PM where you bought it? Thanks!
#14 of 15 Old 07-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Banned

That was me Jeni! And my name is Kat! I already PMed you with the info, hehe

I had a great time yesterday at the LLoyd Center. I would LOOOOVE to do nurse-ins more often! I don't know if I would be able to come every week, because I have to drive so far, but once a month would be great! I also personally plan to breastfeed in VS for the rest of my life, lol. Well, as long as I'm still producing milk I guess!

I'm apalled to hear that a man said "scary" to you InochiZo!! I wish I would have heard him!

I think there was a GREAT turnout at the LLoyd Center, way more mama's than I expected! I want to research the laws to see if I can legally hold a sign next time, since Mr. Security Guard wouldn't let us. I agree that I think he was just trying to catch a look at some boobies! Well, at least at Mamaof3's boobies, man he just kept coming back to her with SOMETHING to tell her that was so important, lol.

Oh yeah and I wanted to add that that was SO FUNNY PGNPORTLAND when that security guard was like "I don't know what you women call this, but..." and you were like "it's called BREASTFEEDING, DUH!" hahaha that was great! It was awesome meeting you!! And Sophia!
#15 of 15 Old 07-02-2006, 09:29 PM

I think it would be great to regular breastfeeding awareness get togethers. Just as along as not a protest because then we'll have to get a permit per Mr. Lloyd center security guard.

I don't think the "scary" guy thought I could/would hear him.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page