Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PARTAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Literally. I'm on my way to a party.
#8 of 424 Old 07-29-2006, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd add a little substance before I go.
I love remembering that I am am a feminist. I often don't think of it because I am surrounded by women who strive to work to their abilities and usually don't allow da man to get in their way. I live within a bit of a feminist subculture within the larger world. But to remember my feminism helps me feel empowered. It helps me remember that their are sisters all over standing by my side and I'm in awe at our collective strength. I walk a litle taller when I remember that. The world is so much open to me and seems so much more accessable because I am a feminist.
#9 of 424 Old 07-29-2006, 09:16 PM

: Been wondering whatever happen to this tribe or thread since its hardly gets attention or replies to it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama
Thought I'd add a little substance before I go.
I love remembering that I am am a feminist. I often don't think of it because I am surrounded by women who strive to work to their abilities and usually don't allow da man to get in their way. I live within a bit of a feminist subculture within the larger world. But to remember my feminism helps me feel empowered. It helps me remember that their are sisters all over standing by my side and I'm in awe at our collective strength. I walk a litle taller when I remember that. The world is so much open to me and seems so much more accessable because I am a feminist.
mamajama,

, on what you said above here.
#10 of 424 Old 07-29-2006, 10:25 PM

I'm here too. I was just thinking about how I'm more of a feminist than anything else. I'm all about natural living, birth choices, ap parenting, etc but it all stems from my main thing--my pride in being a woman. does that make sense?

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#11 of 424 Old 07-29-2006, 11:08 PM

Feminist not-mama-yet here. But I'd love to hang out with the big kids here...

Combining feminism and motherhood is the thing i look most forward to in my life! I cannot wait to be a mama feminist.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#12 of 424 Old 07-29-2006, 11:14 PM

Obviously being a feminist can mean slightly different things to different people, but if we're going with who considers themselves a feminist then that's me

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#13 of 424 Old 07-29-2006, 11:17 PM

I'm here.

Thought I'd throw out something I run into:
I have a hard time convincing other feminist mamas I meet that birth is a feminist issue and that taking back birth should be a feminist concern. To so many it seems so radical to step out of the hospital.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#14 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 03:41 AM

Another Feminist Mama here. My dearest friend in the world and I used to work together in a feminist bookstore in Sacramento (Lioness Books). She used to love to joke, "Does your husband let you be a feminist?"
#15 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 03:44 AM

I never knew this tribe existed!

Checking in.
#16 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 03:45 AM

+1 papa?
#17 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDaddy
+1 papa?
oops, I hope I didn't go and kill this nice thread, with my stinky man-ness
#18 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Helloooooooooooooooo! some great familiar faces...

short story ahead:

So, speaking of feminism and motherhood, my most recent project at school involved sculpting a giant pregnant woman out of clay.

She is hollow inside, with a big lid that the viewer opens up to see what's inside. In her "uterus" I placed a positive pregnancy test, an egg, 30 pieces of silver, and a coathanger, all objects relating to the selling of women's reproductive health to vested interests. And I painted the word SOLD in black lettering on the back wall of the "uterus."

I was trying to relate my sculpture to that disturbing article about the woman in Utah who got brought up on charges for refusing a C-section.

My class is all female; the instructor assigned random groups to critique each other's projects. The two who evaluated my project were confused-- the thought the money represented the cost of having a baby.

But, amusingly, they thought the wire coathanger represented "where the mom is going to hang up the baby clothes!"

So I'm not sure what the point of my story is. Just that I feel sort of... out there alone on the feminist front, sometimes. Like I'm talking nonsense to myself.

But who would have thought that a couple of smart young women wouldn't figure that pregnant woman + gnarly coathanger = backalley abortion?

I'm skeered.
#19 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 09:07 AM

Hi Mammas, I'll join you in this tribe xxxx and anyone can be a feminist according to a guy I know who lectures in it, male or female!
#20 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDaddy
oops, I hope I didn't go and kill this nice thread, with my stinky man-ness
LOL personally I think it's cool you came here. If more men were into feminism the world would be much nicer.
#21 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Yes yes, to feminist papas and feminist not-yet-mamas. Fabulous!! I tend to assume only mamas will reply, duh, which is the only reason I put "mama" in the title. I'll change it.
#22 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
I have a hard time convincing other feminist mamas I meet that birth is a feminist issue and that taking back birth should be a feminist concern. To so many it seems so radical to step out of the hospital.
Yes, ITA.

Now for me the method of convincing is important. I find natural mothering choices can become just another thing to beat women over the head with, yk? And that for me is anti-feminist. I think it is only respectful to allow women the right to make choices regarding our own bodies as they relate to breastfeeding and parenting, without judgment or "better-than"-ness.

But at the same time, in my heart I believe that yes, taking back birth, taking back our capability to nurture and nourish our children, are deeply feminist issues.

We need to rise up and create a culture that supports mothers and children. This I believe is the key.
#23 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Thought I'd throw out something I run into:
I have encountered this too- some women seem to think that non-medicated birth is anti-feminist- like it turns the woman into a martyr and her "need" for pain relief is ignored or something along those lines.

annakiss I really enjoyed the thread you started a while back about feminism and birth.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#24 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
Yes, ITA.

Now for me the method of convincing is important. I find natural mothering choices can become just another thing to beat women over the head with, yk? And that for me is anti-feminist. I think it is only respectful to allow women the right to make choices regarding our own bodies as they relate to breastfeeding and parenting, without judgment or "better-than"-ness.

But at the same time, in my heart I believe that yes, taking back birth, taking back our capability to nurture and nourish our children, are deeply feminist issues.

We need to rise up and create a culture that supports mothers and children. This I believe is the key.
When I was pregnant, i couldnt see the conncention--then my child was born and it blossemed to me. During my pregnacny, I took a class classed women in medevil histroy. We did a unit on motherhood.. What an eye opener..
#25 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello there! Can I join in?

I've recently been getting nostalgic for the women's studies classes I took in college. I miss the strong women I met there and the conversations that made me question what being a woman meant to me and my culture. I'm so glad this is a tribe!

About men being feminists... I wholeheartedly expect DS to call himself a feminist a couple years down the line (and DH wouldn't be DH if he weren't one)!

Full-time-working student mama to some sweet spring babies... DS1 (4/05) DS2 (4/08) and now expecting #3 in May 2015 !
#26 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 12:28 PM

What a wonderful tribe! I definitely consider myself a feminist!!
In fact, I'm currently on a quest to better understand how women in today's society view themselves and where they feel feminism has a place/does not have a place in thier lives.
It is my thesis project for my master's and it will take the form of gathered data (which I've already started to do) and filmed interviews for a documentary (which I start this week).
I'm also journaling along as I go, and it's really funny to see my own views change somewhat when I became pregnant 4 months ago. I think that being pregnant is definitely going to have an impact on how I view feminism and my role as a feminist.
So, you can say that currently my life is *steeped* in all things feminism!

If any of you ladies who fit the mold (20-29) are interested in what I'm doing and would like to participate, you can PM me or check out the link in my sig for a bit more info (even tho my LJ hasn't been updated in quite a while, it still has the pertinant info).

Anyway - I'm really glad this thread is up and running.
How do you all espouse feminist values in your day to day lives? Before taking this upcoming year off, I was definitely the history teacher that infused her curriculum with feminist theory and history. Sure, I might have gotten made fun of for it, but my students knew they were getting valuable info that was missing from their texts! It especially made me smile when female students would come and talk to me and get jazzed about issues in thier own lives that they could find parallels with in our courses. And then...get active about them!! :
#27 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
Yes, ITA.

I certainly don't want to take choices away from anyone and I'm not going to beat someone up for opting for the epidural. I do find it frustrating when feminists I know make "choices" that are only illusions offered them by an inherently sexist system though. My methods for combatting this are of education and listening to particular issues and concerns that women have with their reproductive lives. I find listening and looking for an "in" to be pretty effective. Sadly, most people already have their minds made up about the big stuff, but I think sometimes something strikes people that leads to other ideas and paths of investigation.

Changing society is precisely what needs to happen. I think that by being here, talking about these issues, we're doing that. I think MDC is really a part of the revolution. I really believe that.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#28 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
also!

Quote:
I understand this too... I am in a midwifery program here in Canada and although all of us see birth as a feminist issue, when we were in a Women's Studies class with other women and self-proclaimed feminists, they either thought midwifery was waaay too radical, that or that if you have kids youc an't be feminist! :

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#29 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 12:51 PM

Hi!
#30 of 424 Old 07-30-2006, 02:43 PM

Feminist here, but not entirely sure we need a tribe for this ... to me it's sort of like having a tribe for all mothers! That is, I would hope we're *all* feminists here. Although, unfortunately, that's probably not true.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page