Consensual Living Tribe - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 506 Old 02-28-2007, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes!

And it seems to be that b/c it has been unbalanced in the "must do it" direction, there's probably going to need to be a time of it being unbalanced in the "I'm not going to do (and you can't make me)" direction. Kind of like a period of deschooling.

The more I can let go of the outcome, the better the outcome is. It's a strange paradox! But, if I walk into our messy den with the intention that I'm going to clean up and everyone had better help me--well, it usually doesn't pan out with a big cooperative, joyful effort. (How's that for an understatement?! )

But, if I come into the room and say, "Do you guys mind if I put this stuff back in the bins so I can run the vacuum?" It's usually met with, "Sure. I can help, too."

Have you read Sandra Dodd's page on chores? That really helped me shift my thinking.
#302 of 506 Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
And it seems to be that b/c it has been unbalanced in the "must do it" direction, there's probably going to need to be a time of it being unbalanced in the "I'm not going to do (and you can't make me)" direction. Kind of like a period of deschooling.

Have you read Sandra Dodd's page on chores? That really helped me shift my thinking.
I love Sandra Dodd!!! Very very helpful!

We are in this "I'm not doing it, and you can't make me" situation right now.
Some things worked themselves out fairly quickly when I quit trying to control everything dd does, but there's other things that will just have to work out how they work out.
Of course I'd like her to choose to do everything MY WAY, but then again I'd prefer dh do everything MY WAY too and that doesn't work out either
And, in the end, I'm not sure I would really and truly want every one to just do everything MY way. I think it sounds cool initially, but in reality how healthy would that be?

Right now dd has hair that is a complete rats nest. She probably hasn't washed it in a month and hasn't brushed it in a week. This is a big thing for me to practice with - practice letting her be in charge of her body and me doing deep breathing while I learn to let go of what I would do or what I think she should do. I keep thinking of ways to get her to wash her hair and then I remember that the more I approach her about it the more she is going to want to prove to me that she doesn't have to. I have to get her to trust me to be respectful to her and not assert my power when she makes a choice I don't like. That may make some time (this is where the deep breathing comes in )

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#303 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
X-posted:
I want them to WANT to cooperate.......but they aren't!

....I am even hiring a mom to come help me with the house once a week. We can NOT afford it! But it is either that or ADHD medication for me
A big hug to you, AngelBee.

Have you seen or read "The Secret" yet? It's about the law of attraction. What we think, and what we FEEL, manifests itself and multiplies. What we think and speak is like placing an order at a restaurant (per one of the women from the movie), but the order is being placed to the Universe/God. And the universe/God always provides what we order.

"We can NOT afford it" is an order you placed. So you are provided with not being able to afford _fill in the blank_.

I'm aware of the words I use/think now, and notice a huge shift in my life as I chose new words/thoughts and feelings.

You want a peaceful, clean, organized house? Say that. And then feel what it's like to have a peaceful, clean, organized house. Keep feeling it. Stay with it. Do that for a few days and let me know what happens.

As far as the kids cooperating, they are cooperating in a round about way (Your Competent Child). You aren't at peace with their decision to do or not to do. Be at peace with their freedom of choice (another "order" you can place).

I can relate to all you are saying! I'm writing to myself as well.
#304 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 03:34 PM

The Secret.......have it and am still plucking through......it has been really difficult for me to balance reality, thoughts, what really "is", dreams, expectations, hidden beliefs.........if that makes sense.

I hold on tight to "feelings" that are not healthy and are deeply hidden. It has been a real challenge to work through and has brought up some really ugly things about myself. So I kinda took alittle time off of the Secret. Really...it has a lot to do with my spiritual life and my relationship with God. I feel so unworthy. But that comes from all of these hidden ideals that I hold deep inside......most on a subconscious level.

Deschooling.....maybe that is what we all really need to do. Truly embrace the freedom and let go of the society/past experience/upbringing expectations that have been imposed on us. (Some unintentionally )

Still processing.......will be back with more...

Thank you for your input mamas It really has helped. In real life, no one thinks/behaves like this.

I am going against EVERYTHING that seems normal to me. (though living the norm seems so unnatural.......so that is why I am here. )

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#305 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 PM

I think the reason their responce bothers me is because I am interrupting it as disrespectful to me....and as a result it hurts my feelings. :

Example: Me: Coud you please help clean up the living room?
Them: I do not really want to.
Me: I know....I do not really want to either. It is important to not have stuff out all over the floor though. It is not safe....especially with carrying Mylee around.
Them: Still really don't want to. We won't step on it. Or tehy tell me I can clean it up if I want to.

Then house HAS to be picked up. It causes really evil attitudes in all of us if it is bad.

So....I feel like the expectation is that I have to do it if I want it done.

DH and the kids will complain about the house, even if at the time it does not seem urgent to them. Don't know if that makes sense........trying to explain it.......

Oh....like Dominick will not want to put his boots away but will panic and ast rudely when he can't find them the next day.

Then out of frustration from feeling "attacked" (could be all in my head : ) I do the whole, "I told you so!"

Honestly....I have wonderful, caring, intellegant kids. I am not tryin to make them seem mean or anything.

I just would like for all of us to be experiencing more peace in our day to day living.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#306 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Like how do you find a balance between self and community living?

Ones personal wants/needs vs the greater good of the family?

#307 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 03:55 PM

THE DAILY GROOVE ~ by Scott Noelle www.enjoyparenting.com/dailygroove

:: The Wild Child ::

Domesticated animals confined to farms, zoos, and
similar unnatural habitats lack a certain "spark"
found in their wild counterparts. They've been bred or
trained to live apart from their nature. They've
adjusted to their lack of freedom.

Put a wild animal in a cage for the first time and
behold the fury! What else would you expect from a
creature who still knows it's supposed to be free?

Children are born free and wild, and they don't
readily submit to "domestication." And thank Goodness
for that! Because those who retain that spark are the
ones who will uplift humanity in generations to come.

Today, look for evidence of the spark of wildness in
your child... and *celebrate* it! Trust that s/he will
civilize in due time. And meantime, let that spark
ignite the flames of an authentic, passionate life.

http://www.dailygroove.net/wild-child

Today's Daily Groove message was originally
presented on August 8, 2006.

Feel free to forward this message to your friends!

Copyright (c) 2007 by Scott Noelle
#308 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyMN View Post
THE DAILY GROOVE ~ by Scott Noelle www.enjoyparenting.com/dailygroove

:: The Wild Child ::

Domesticated animals confined to farms, zoos, and
similar unnatural habitats lack a certain "spark"
found in their wild counterparts. They've been bred or
trained to live apart from their nature. They've
adjusted to their lack of freedom.

Put a wild animal in a cage for the first time and
behold the fury! What else would you expect from a
creature who still knows it's supposed to be free?

Children are born free and wild, and they don't
readily submit to "domestication." And thank Goodness
for that! Because those who retain that spark are the
ones who will uplift humanity in generations to come.

Today, look for evidence of the spark of wildness in
your child... and *celebrate* it! Trust that s/he will
civilize in due time. And meantime, let that spark
ignite the flames of an authentic, passionate life.

http://www.dailygroove.net/wild-child

Today's Daily Groove message was originally
presented on August 8, 2006.

Feel free to forward this message to your friends!

Copyright (c) 2007 by Scott Noelle
Goosebumps....
#309 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Like how do you find a balance between self and community living?

Ones personal wants/needs vs the greater good of the family?
I like how Scott Noelle talks about the pleasure principle. If it feels good for me then keep doing/being it. By feel good, I mean authentically feeling good in my soul. My focus right now is feeling good about myself, who I am, what I am, what I look like, etc. I am focusing on loving myself, blessing myself, appreciating myself. That, to me, is the foundation for everything else in life. Imagine a world where everyone loves and appreciates themselves. WOW. And imagine what it feels like to truly love and appreciate yourself.

If we say stuff like, "Look at this messy place! It's disgusting!" and "I'm a failure, I have no control", what do you think is going to happen? We placed our order, we're going to get more of what we order! Pretty soon, I was sitting in a pile of toys, barking at my kids, and crying to myself, and the mess gets worse and worse, and then I feel guilty for being crabby. What the...?!

My house gets pretty messy. I'm practicing loving every inch of it. And feeling what it feels like to love my home, and love how I/we live in and make use of my home. When I do this, magic happens. Somehow, no idea how, I effortlessly pick up my home, fix a healthy meal for dinner, and involve my kids. Really, I don't know how it happens! The law of attraction, and attitude of gratitude is MAGIC.

Instead of focusing so much on what's not done, what you're not doing, what others aren't doing, what everyone expects from you, what you expect from yourself and from others, what needs to be fixed...
...focus on what you are grateful for, and feel what gratitude feels like. Appreciate and love your warm home. Just try it. Mmmm, it's yummy!
#310 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Me: I know....I do not really want to either.
That was (and sometimes still IS) a big "block" of mine.

Now I tell myself - "OK, there are two WANTS (not DON'T WANTS). One is a want to lazy around/read a book/play around. Another one is a want to have a clean house. Can I have BOTH of them fulfilled? I guess I can. " And so on and so forth.

See, when we TELL our kids that "oh yeah, I know, cleaning is a drag, we all hate it" - that's exactly what they absorb!

I re-trained (or rather re-trainING) myslef to think and say - "I want to clean"! Why? Because *I* want a clean house/room/kitchen/car.

And you know what - I see it rubbing off. Not only on DD but even <gasp> on DH!

Now, it's not like out whole family all of a sudden sees no greater joy in this life than cleaning the house

But just like we are trying to allow ourselves to tolerate some mess now and then, we allow ourselves to actually LIKE cleaning
#311 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Thank you mamas....keep talkin' :

#312 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irinam View Post
Now I tell myself - "OK, there are two WANTS (not DON'T WANTS). One is a want to lazy around/read a book/play around. Another one is a want to have a clean house. Can I have BOTH of them fulfilled? I guess I can. " And so on and so forth.
Yes, we can have a win-win situation! It's not either/or, all-or-nothing.

Quote:

See, when we TELL our kids that "oh yeah, I know, cleaning is a drag, we all hate it" - that's exactly what they absorb!
And they cooperate with our thoughts/feelings that cleaning sucks and that our house is a mess.

Quote:

I re-trained (or rather re-trainING) myslef to think and say - "I want to clean"! Why? Because *I* want a clean house/room/kitchen/car.
Right on! My dh gets more upset about a messy house than I do, I was feeling like a failure because I wasn't meeting his expectations. Then I decided I get to do what I want to do, and he gets to do what he wants to do (even if that means picking up our messes ). Doh! I love that freedom!
#313 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 04:49 PM

Ok....reading Sandra Dodd right now. Thinking....

What about food choices/meals?

I try to cook (note word try ) for my family. It is difficult for me and takes alot of effort on my part as I am not a very experienced cook.....yet Lately, my children do not like what I am cooking Pancakes are too dark, toast is too burnt, don't like the flavor, suddenly they are not hungry........just a few examples.

It makes me feel bad. : I am joyfully cooking for them to feed them, nurish them, build their immunity, improve their health.......and they do not like it.

Dad comes home with Mc D's and is the hero! (not when I try to cook....like for dinner a different night)

So....how should I think about this/approach this issue?

I am big on letting kids choose what to eat, when to eat, not having to eat what they do not like, but I feel unappreciated and my efforts seem worthless.

#314 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 04:52 PM

Chores that ARE necessary.

Like feeding Jake and Sarah (dog and cat) It was origainally agreed that Dom would feed/water Jake and Abigail would feed and water Sarah.

Dom now protests about it daily and does not do it without me bothering him about it.

He would not mind if he did not have to do it.

I do not really want to do it as the agreement with the pets ws that they would assist with care.

How should I approach this?

#315 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 04:53 PM

Being green/healthy eating:

What about using chemical filled bubble bath? Eating candy bars when ever? Making bad food choices?

How do I approach this from a CL point of view?

#316 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote from www.sandradodd.com
Quote:
We don't clean up messes to have a clean house. We clean up messes so there is room for more mess!
:

#317 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:

What about using chemical filled bubble bath? Eating candy bars when ever? Making bad food choices?

What verrrrry interesting is when I made peace with my body, and eating chocolate when I want it, my dd1 doesn't seem to want candy as much. Hmmmm.

How do you feel about seeing things as "bad"? Does that inspire you?
#318 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Chores that ARE necessary.

Like feeding Jake and Sarah (dog and cat) It was origainally agreed that Dom would feed/water Jake and Abigail would feed and water Sarah.

Dom now protests about it daily and does not do it without me bothering him about it.

He would not mind if he did not have to do it.

I do not really want to do it as the agreement with the pets ws that they would assist with care.

How should I approach this?
Set Dom up for success. What does he LOVE doing? Have that be his "chore".
#319 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 06:08 PM

I have a lot to say today, I guess.

So I have had this problem with wanting to go outside but thinking dd2 (age 16 months) makes it too hard for me because she enjoys walking around for a short time and then wants me to carry her (HEAVY with all our gear on) and then doesn't want to wear gloves yet wants to touch the snow. and then cries because her hands are cold... ANYWAY

Today I am visualizing all 3 of us playing outside (well, I'm going to shovel which is like playing to me) and having fun for as long as we all want to be out there.

I'm off to give the dds a snack and then to have a FANTASTIC, fun time out in the snow.
#320 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 06:22 PM

AngelBee, could you just set out to do ONE week of joyfully cleaning up w/out any expectations for anyone to notice or help? ONE week! And see how you feel at the end? See if there IS more joy and peace?

B/c here's my deal: No one else really cares to have the house as clean as me. They just don't. They like it clean and we all seem to do better when it's clean, but they just don't care the way I do. So when I get into my, "How did I get the job of MAID around here?" mode--there is not a lot of peace and joy in me and goodness knows I'm gonna share the wealth!

It's not joyful and peaceful b/c *I'm* huffing and fussing and complaining and stomping about. When I can focus on the cleanliness issue being MINE, and thus set about the meet my OWN needs in that area, there IS more joy and peace--b/c it I'm feeling it and I'm more patient and less stressed and laughing more.

I have been doing a LOT better with this issue and my kids are picking up and helping out and saying kind things and offering to get me a drink while I'm on MDC and taking more pride in it when it's clean and so on! It's AMAZING!

Try a week. Just clean up and whistle and think of all of us cheering you on. And enjoy the order and breathe and think happy thoughts. See how you feel. See how the house feels. See how the kids feel. Can't hurt, right? :
#321 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Chemical filled bubble bath. Unless kids go to the store and choose the product with lots of chemicals in it, just don't keep a chemically laden bubble bath concoction in the house.

Now, if the "unless" is true, this calls for a little more creative thinking. Is it a 7yo wanting a bubble bath? A 3yo?

I know with all the talk of additives to our products that I did with my DD, *she* is the one being anal about labels, being especially good at finding "Red 40" or "artificial colors" among the ingredients.

Until then, can some alternatives be thought up? By you AND the "bathee"? Our favorite alternative right now is homemade bath products - Epsom salts+few drops of EO+beet juice for nice pink(!) color. True it's not "bubble bath", but DD loves it even more So, maybe something along those lines?

As far as foods - I let all the reins drop there (actually always have, so it might be harder in the beginning if the kids are used to receive ouside directions).

There is no food that is labled "dessert" in our house. There is no food that is labled "a must eat yucky vegetable"

I am lucky in that respect - I was left to my own devices as far as food is concerned all my life. And you know what I see? I cannot eat too much sweets. It leaves this sticky aftertaste and I *have* to eat some vegetable or a piece of meat (I am not vegetarian) after that.

And you know what else? Sometimes DD starts dinner with a piece of candy, a truffle or a cup of ice cream. Then happily follows up with brocolli and cheese, or bean soup, or whatever else that is considered a "proper meal"

Ous bodies are designed to feel what's right for them. Our "job" as parents is 1) not to mess this ability up by creating rules around food 2) make healthy foods available
#322 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 07:06 PM

Oh, and as far as cleaning. Nothing "works" better in our house than putting music on.

It can be upbeat (for "emergency" cleanings when MIL is about to show up in 15min),

It can be classical - for straightening up the whole house (we pretend to be the stuck up/upper class/whateve other sterotype of people who need things to be "just so" And sometimes as we do that we go around speaking with British accents [think Mary Poppins])

It can be soulful - great for maindane tasks, like washing dishes

Just like monkey's mom suggested - give a shot at trully enjoying it!
#323 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I am loving reading your responses!! Here are a few threads that might help. This one is about chores. There were about 50 posts about the topic for those who are incredulous about not demanding children perform acts of service for the family. We have experienced many genuine and spontaneous acts of consideration by our children toward the environment and other beings from animals to humans. :-) And yes, it starts in the home, by us modeling consideration, ime. Here is the link to that discussion: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/2189

It was totally delightful for me to observe our very young son spontaneously grabbing a towel to help me clean up something that *I* had spilled. In our family, we don't have a sense of "you made the mess, you clean it up". We all just help each other when things need to be done. There is no negativity associated with the cleaning. We all want to help!

Pat

I have a blog.
#324 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Here are a bunch of threads about creating mutually agreeable
solutions with young children and preverbal toddlers:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1881
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1905
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1861

This one is about leaving places:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1719

This one is about leaving the park:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1445

This one is about negotiating around boring appointments:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1692

This one is about "too much information":
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1605

Getting shoes on a toddler and other creative problem solving:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1960

CL for a young preverbal toddler:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1895

Some basic CL questions:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1673

Toddlers with a mind of their own and transitions:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1443

Food issues and CL:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1123

How to gain cooperation:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1305

Book recommendations:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/1279 See also
the files for discussion and links to the recommended reading list.

And this one about creating a clean canvas as a gift: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consen...g/message/2519

And here is the link to the current LoA thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=625171

Hope that helps!

Pat

I have a blog.
#325 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 07:30 PM

:

Stephany
#326 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 07:54 PM

I've been working on Consensual Living with my 18 month old dd (I joined the yahoo group recently). It's hard, especially when there's a clash of what dd wants and what is actually good for her (for example, she has been asking to watch her "signing Time" video a lot and I really only like her to watch it less than once a day) It's also hard when she seems to be sensitive and ALWAYS needs me (drags me by the finger everywhere). Or staying up late. She was up until almost 2 am last night. I think this has all gotten rough as she has been getting her molars recently, but it has increased my realization that I have to figure out the best way to react when these issues come up. I'll be reading and learning from this thread Thanks for the links, WuWei, I'll have to look through them!
#327 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Oh...thank you for all of those links!

#328 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 08:08 PM

More for AngelBee

Now as far as cooking. My *personal* believe here is that “less is more”. Not necessarily because I am lazy (which I am, but lets leave that endearing trait aside, LOL). I honestly believe that the less “processed” the foods are (and cooking IS processing), the healthier they are.

So you can say that I am “into” raw eating. Not as hard-core as some (I don’t eat raw meat, and I know that some do, and I am not bashing them), but many things can be eaten raw – most of veggies, all the fruits, sushi/sashimi, being a true Ukrainian I eat raw bacon (now I know I know, not for everyone!)

That’s one fact. Another one is that DD (6yo) is very picky. As she proudly announces herself. So… what she is doing lately is … cooking. Now, her cooking is mostly mixing ingredients together, which is just fine by me. I do the heat-related stuff.

Her latest creations include – two varieties of infamous “ants on the log” (one using cream cheese and one using peanut butter); sweet tortilla wrap (she actually looked it up on the Internet!) – spread raw almond butter on wheat tortilla, shred some carrot right on top, sprinkle some raisins, sprinkle some raw sunflower seeds, wrap. Voi la – healthy eat without much hassle.

Some more – “fake pizza”. Again, take a tortilla, spread some pesto sauce on top, add a few slices of tomato, pieces of broccoli, sprinkle everything with cheese, put on the pan, cover with lid. Watch for the cheese to melt (make sure the stove is on rather low heat). Once it melts – fake pizza is ready.

So, can asking kids to come up with their own recipes be a possibility?

Oh, did I mention – DD is a vegetarian? The only one in our family?

She is also getting some ideas from here http://pbskids.org/mayaandmiguel/eng...ing/index.html
#329 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:

So, can asking kids to come up with their own recipes be a possibility?

Oh, did I mention – DD is a vegetarian? The only one in our family?
Too cute!

I will ask them if they would like to do some cooking and make up/gather some recipes. Great idea!

#330 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyMN View Post
I have a lot to say today, I guess.

So I have had this problem with wanting to go outside but thinking dd2 (age 16 months) makes it too hard for me because she enjoys walking around for a short time and then wants me to carry her (HEAVY with all our gear on) and then doesn't want to wear gloves yet wants to touch the snow. and then cries because her hands are cold... ANYWAY

Today I am visualizing all 3 of us playing outside (well, I'm going to shovel which is like playing to me) and having fun for as long as we all want to be out there.

I'm off to give the dds a snack and then to have a FANTASTIC, fun time out in the snow.
Well, my two dds and I had a wonderful 1-plus hour outside!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page