Renting prices in and around Burlington, VT - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2006, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving to Burlington in November. My husband has a research position at the UVM. We are just beginning to look for a place to live. Someone recommended a real estate agent that specializes in rentals. She told my husband that there was no way we would find a place to rent that was over 1000 sq feet and under $1000. Is this true? : I'm starting to panic because we need at least 1100 sq feet to accomodate our growing family but can't afford anything over $1200 and that's pushing it. I would love any advice you can give me. Is is possible to buy a house and keep payments below $1200?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 02:49 PM

Burlington is very expensive. It is very hard to find an appartment for under 1000 dollars that is a decent size and ok looking. What i am doing is renting an appartment that isnt very pleasant looking but i have decorated it well so that it looks alright. It is small though.
I dont know what to tell you about advice. It is cheaper to live in the surrounding areas but not by much. If you want to live in Burlington you will have to say sianora to the extra little things that you buy yourself each month. We pay so much on our appartment that we never get to buy anything else for ourselves. We are happy with this because we love Burlington so much. It is worth it to us.
Good luck!

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl
If you want to live in Burlington you will have to say sianora to the extra little things that you buy yourself each month.
Thanks for the response. I wish we could cut the extra things we buy for ourselves: I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, we stopped buying those extra things for ourselves 2 years ago when dd was born.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:35 PM

Uhoh! haha. oh well. good luck!
It all works out somehow. You would love it here.

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:21 PM

We are renting in Mallets Bay (just North of Burlington - it takes me 15 minutes to get to downtown).

We pay $1300 a month for a VERY NICE townhouse/duplex on a cul-de-sac that backs up to woods and a trail. It is very "suburban". Two car attached garage - full, unfinished basement (great for running around and storage). I can't say exactly the SQFT - but we guess about 1200-1300??

All appliances were included - including Energy Star front loading washer and dryer. The carpets were in great condition, it has two full baths and one LARGE master (we all sleep in it - we fit a king and a queen and still have room to play!) and one smaller room that can be a bedroom but we use it as an office.

If you don't mind being in a smaller, suburban community (i.e. not "crunchy" New Old North End Burlington) then you should consider this area.

We rented through Lang Realty. They hooked us up with a private landlord but they did all the paperwork.

If you want any more info on my situation or who we talked to at Lang please feel free to PM me for details.

Incidentally, we are moving sometime in November - March to a permanent home so this place might be available.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:38 PM

Hi! I don't live in VT yet, but DH and I are trying to sell our house to move there. On to the OP question. I'm keeping my eye on http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com to check out rentals. They do rentals for Burlington and the surrounding area. I found some nice townhomes in Jeffersonville for up to $925 and they're brand new! There are some other places that are in your price range if you like a condo or something. There is also http://www.craigslist.com where you can look for rental properties there. It's updated every day. You can find affordable stuff if you're willing to live outside of Burlington proper. That's basically what DH and I plan on doing. We can't afford rent right in Burlington. Best of luck!!

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 AM

You might also look at Seven Days' website for listings.

http://sevendaysvt.com/

We actually had more luck through them than through BFP.

It is expensive in Burlington and then you also have to take into consideration that you could be near young college students who like to still be up at 3am. But I do think it's possible to find something within your price range. I would also consider just outside of Burlington b/c it will be quieter and if you have pets you might find a place that will take them. Most places in Burlington we found don't allow pets, not just dogs, cats as well.

The good news is with your DH working for UVM he should qualify for free bus access so that does expand your search area perhaps a little without having to increase your costs too much. I actually take a LINK Express bus from Milton everyday b/c DH works there and he can drop me off at the bus stop. It saves on gas, time and doesn't require a 2nd car for us.

For sanity I would recommend looking north of Burlington or even east of it rather than south b/c Rte 7 can be a real PITA sometimes.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for replying. I did just check out craigslist yesterday and found quite a bit. I do look at the sevendays site and find it helpful also. I'll have to check out the burlingtonfreepress website. It can be a little frustrating because I can't go look at any of these places in person. I am also used to knowing the square footage and hardly anybody posts it. Again thanks for your replies, I appreciate all the help.

User Tag List