Soccer Mom/Sports Mom Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 09-28-2006, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How's it going this fall? I've got two boys, each on two different soccer teams, so we're fairly filled with soccer commitments :

I never thought I'd love watching my kids play soccer so much, but I do!

Any challenges or successes to report?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 87 Old 09-28-2006, 11:15 AM

You know I'm in!

Both of our sons are, and have been, active in several sports. Our experiences have led me to the conclusion that soccer is, usually, one of the "nicer" sports. They are currently on a team together, the oldest also plays on a travel team.

Classic Moment: When one of the best coaches my kids have ever had dared our oldest to "catch" the ball with his shirt during a rec game and run with it. Something I would never have expected this coach to say, nor for my son to do. Liberating experience that came at just the right time; the end of a long season where he was a "marked" man on the pitch - everyone was constantly trying to take him out. The ref didn't know what to call, and the comic relief was enjoyed by all.
#3 of 87 Old 09-29-2006, 11:51 PM

my ds (6.5 yrs) is in soccer right now until the middle of October. (then he starts hockey) I really like soccer and my ds seems to enjoy it. He has a good friend from his class on his team this year. whenever they make a goal they run to each other and chest bump each other. It is very funny
#4 of 87 Old 09-30-2006, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it's Saturday - who has games? We have two. 10:30 and 2:30 - can you say Useless Saturday? OK, not useless because I love watching soccer, but we can't do much else. At least the toddler can get his nap in between.
#5 of 87 Old 09-30-2006, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

really, no soccer today? We've had one game so far, and it was not a good match-up! I think my son's team won 9-0.
#6 of 87 Old 09-30-2006, 04:51 PM

My son's game is going on right now. His dad is with him, as I had some tiling to do. Maybe you all can help me with a problem, as I am new to the soccer mom thing.

My son is the biggest and one of the most coordinated kids on the team. He is fine during games usually, but during practices he gets so frustrated with the other boys who aren't paying attention or mess up or don't know what to do (not that he never does these things, he just notices when THEY do!). He tackles them, pushes them and is just not very nice.

The coaches don't seem to know what to do about it, and I don't want to get in the way of how they do things, but I think he should sit out for a while if he's aggressive. So I have taken him off the field a few times. I don't like to do it, but he needs to cool off. He also tends to get most frustrated with the smallest boys (he is at least a head taller than a couple of them), so he looks like this huge bully: , which he is not, usually.

He is not generally an aggressive kid, so this is very disturbing and perplexing. He usually prefers to play with older kids who tend to be more his size, but the age limits on the teams are pretty strict (we had to send them a copy of his birth certificate), so I couldn't move him up to the next age team.

Any thoughts? He loves soccer and is good at it, but it is so stressful to deal with this aggression.

L.
#7 of 87 Old 09-30-2006, 05:11 PM

L, how old is your son?

We just got back from our day of soccer. One game for the boys' shared team, one practice for the oldest's travel team.

More fun to be had tomorrow... with another game!
#8 of 87 Old 09-30-2006, 05:22 PM

I have three boys in soccer. All different leagues and teams. Makes life fun!

My oldest (11) is U-12 and it's his first year on mixed teams. He is doing really well and is finally on a team that is winning sometimes. He usually guards the goalie, but finally got to play forward. He decided it really wasn't all it was cracked up to be. He got braces this year and refused to wear the mouthguard. I told him if he got hit in the mouth it was gonna really hurt, but he figured it would be fine. At the third game, direct hit to the mouth. He now wears the guard with no reminders.

My middle (8) is U-10 and is doing great. He is on a team that isn't winning every game which is good as well b/c they were beginning to think they were invincible. The only complaint I have is they always have him in the position where he guards the goalie. He doesn't seem to mind, but I think it would be nice to let him try forward.

My youngest (5) is U-6 and has only played one other season. He is doing better this time around. He has more patience than he used to and is actually trying to go after the ball more.

We had games today, but my oldest two boys are sick, so we opted out. They have a chest cold thing happening and it was about 65 degrees and drizzly here......didn't want them any sicker.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#9 of 87 Old 09-30-2006, 05:58 PM

Can I join??? Pretty please? I have a full time softball schedule, plus sons baseball, and soon soccer, Karate, (Luckily Karate is at school) and now son wants to race BMX, I help at all events... Oh yeah and I am a prego Lego, WOOO hooo, So I think I am up to be considered a Baseball-soccer mom right???

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
#10 of 87 Old 09-30-2006, 06:46 PM

Two games today, first of the season (one boy's first game ever!) Schedules got mixed up between website & handout, & we ended up staying twice as long as expected (they had an extra hour practice, which at age just-turned-4 & naptime, was exhausting for all of us).

I don't much care for sports, but I love watching them (which surprised me at first last season). It's truly 'the beautiful game'. (And dh is coaching parttime, & fil full). But I'm sooo tired! (And baby is still finally napping- he's beat!)
#11 of 87 Old 09-30-2006, 07:06 PM

I'm in! Ds (turns 7 in December) is in his second year of soccer, dh is coaching it again. They won every game but one last year, and they've won every game this year so far except today they lost their first one, the other team was sooo fast it was incredible. He also plays flag football (he's missing 3 games though, because they're at the same time as soccer, and he's seen kids get tackled so he's slightly afraid to go after the football which I totally understand!)

So he's got football & soccer and then he also does swimming once a week (it's not as crazy as it sounds, we homeschool so that cuts down on some running around sometimes). He does T-Ball in the spring too, and he'll do basketball in the winter. Yes, he's in love with sports. The only one I identify with is the swimming, but I'm learning! Little ds will start soccer tots in a few months (he's 3).

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#12 of 87 Old 09-30-2006, 10:57 PM

I'm in big time. I have a 10 yo playing in a rec league, SAY, and 8 yo twins playing select. The select takes a lot of time, although I do carpool for their practices. The SAY isn't so bad and the practices are 3 minutes away. We had a game at noon today, one at 2, and then tommorrow one at noon. Unfortunately both teams are doing poorly and havent' won a game, typically the twins get killed like 6 to nothing. They're in too high of a level though, someone moved them up, so next year should be better. They are learning a lot of new skills however.
#13 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 12:20 AM

Finally, my tribe!!!

I coach dd's U8 team, and my son plays U16. Luckily, this year Courtney's games are Saturday, and Michael's sunday, so I can go to all of them.

I love watching the big boys so much, it's amazing. I they are really playing the game, are good at it, and have so much fun at the same time.

My girls won 8-2 this afternoon. They needed a win after some hard games the last few weeks. I can brag here and say dd scored 4 goals, right? I was thrilled that every single one of my girls had a good game, and we had the best ref ever-he's also an elementary school pe teacher, so he really gets how to talk to the kids when play stops.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#14 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherette View Post
My son's game is going on right now. His dad is with him, as I had some tiling to do. Maybe you all can help me with a problem, as I am new to the soccer mom thing.

My son is the biggest and one of the most coordinated kids on the team. He is fine during games usually, but during practices he gets so frustrated with the other boys who aren't paying attention or mess up or don't know what to do (not that he never does these things, he just notices when THEY do!). He tackles them, pushes them and is just not very nice.

The coaches don't seem to know what to do about it, and I don't want to get in the way of how they do things, but I think he should sit out for a while if he's aggressive. So I have taken him off the field a few times. I don't like to do it, but he needs to cool off. He also tends to get most frustrated with the smallest boys (he is at least a head taller than a couple of them), so he looks like this huge bully: , which he is not, usually.

He is not generally an aggressive kid, so this is very disturbing and perplexing. He usually prefers to play with older kids who tend to be more his size, but the age limits on the teams are pretty strict (we had to send them a copy of his birth certificate), so I couldn't move him up to the next age team.

Any thoughts? He loves soccer and is good at it, but it is so stressful to deal with this aggression.

L.
A lot of my recommendations will depend on his age.

If he's old enough to try out for a select/travel team, maybe that would be a better environment for him. At that level, too, they are able to play up in age range, so if he is good enough skill wise, you could get him with kids his own size. That doesn't help for this season, though.

I would approach the coach and ask them to take him off the field the minute the aggression starts. My dad coached boys for 15 years, and one thing I learned is that he had zero tolerance for certain behaviors. If a kid, no matter how good hurt another player on purpose, or verbally disrespected anyone on the field, they were on the sidelines until he said they could return. This last year, he actually kicked a high school player off his team completely for not being respectful of the other players. I think your son will learn most quickly by being taken off the field, but it needs to come from the coaches or it's not going to have the same effect.

It's hard being bigger and more coordinated than the other kids on the team, hopefully he will find his groove and have a great season.

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#15 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 01:47 AM
Banned

two daughters, two different games on Saturday and three days of practice until mid-November!
#16 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

title edited to reflect all the kids'-sports-mamas on MDC. Yay! This thread is fun.

Anyone do indoor soccer in the winter?
#17 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 10:49 AM

Hi soccer moms! I'd love some advice -

Dd just started soccer - she is 5 and "plays" on a team of 4 & 5 year old kids. She wanted to do it - I never thought I would be signing her up for town soccer, KWIM?

anyway, the coach is supernice, he keeps it fun and light and makes sure they are having fun. They play for an hour, about 1/2 hour learning skills and playing games, and 1/2 hour playing against another team. That has been a lot of fun for the kids, they run around kicking the ball (you know how young kids play - they usually end up kicking it the wrong way - it's very cute). Well, fast forward to yesterday.

They play against another team, and many of the kids are much bigger, say 6 years old. (DD is the oldest kid on her team and she just turned 5 a month ago). The coaches on this other team (the blue team) are SCREAMING AND YELLING FROM THE SIDELINES AT THEIR PLAYERS!! First, they would only allow even numbers of kids to play, so 2 kids from DD's team had to sit on the bench (did I mention they are 4 years old?) Then the coach is screaming at the top of his lungs the whole time "KICK IT!!!!!KICK IT!!!!GET IN THERE!!!!!GET BACK IN THERE!!!!!!KICK IT!!!!!!!"

It was awful - a stereotype from hell. And his team was playing very aggressively - there were at least 4 collisions, pushing and shoving going on. I mean, it was ridiculous. DD ended up refusing to play saying she was "tired" but I really think it had to do more with this moron screaming and scaring the kids.

Afterwards, I talked to DH and he agreed the guy was an idiot. When I said I wanted to contact the person in charge of the league and tell them what happened, he said it wouldn't change anything and I would just be ostracized. But my thought is that everyone there was thinking the same thing, but nobody says anything. That just allows this type of behaviour to perpetuate itself, and when the kids get older it gets really ugly and people get hurt.

Any thoughts? Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
#18 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 01:00 PM

We had soccer saturday (yesterday)--two games because we had a make up game. We have a great soccer field-near the river-weather was great! they have a playground and coverd picnic area-si we made a day of it and ate there and everything. Even the baby seemed to enjoy it.
my older son skateboards competitively-but they don't have a lot of competitions-every few months-we need to get him out to practice more though-its just such a drive. Since its an individual sprot and not a team sport we don't have scheduled practices.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#19 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Catherine, I think I'd write a VERY POLITE almost overly friendly email or letter, just describing the situation without judgements, including the effect it had on your child. Also, I might hand out the contact information to the other parents who were thinking what you were thinking.

I can't stand that kind of thing, and those kids are WAY too little for harsh yelling like that.

But, right or wrong, it's probably smart to be careful and not burn bridges, in case your kiddo ends up being majorly into soccer
#20 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 01:39 PM

Dh coached for the 2nd half of last season, after the Dad who was coaching admitted that he didn't have the temperment for it (major yelling, his own son would cry on the field, etc.

They're on our team this year (we made sure we got with most of the same kids when we signed up again), the Dad yells from the sidelines but not as bad as when he was coaching. Dh has the absolute perfect demeanor for coaching, he never gets mad/upset/loud.

(I yell from the sidelines, only nice things like GO! Get it! Get in there! or in swimming DON'T FORGET TO BREATHE TY!!!!)

eta..the soccer this year is U7..

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#21 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Continuing the talk on snacks, what do you guys usually do when it's your turn? So far this season we've done chewy granola bars & 100% juice capri suns.

For our next one I was thinking goldfish crackers & 100% juice again. I'd do the granola bars again but most of the kids looked less than thrilled (or didn't even take them,lol). I don't think homemade snacks would fly here.

~Rose~ 

#22 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 02:59 PM

Another soccer mom here. Ds is 4 yars old and this is his firs year doing any organzied sports. Thye actually start the kids here at 3! : He is a little behind the other kid since all of the kids on his team played last year in the instructional league. I think is great for his coordination though. And it gets him outside running around with children his age.

He will start Karate in November after soccer is over. I think he will really enjoy it. My best friend owns a few Karate srudios in town and gave us a certificate to go for free for 6 months.
#23 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC121799 View Post
Continuing the talk on snacks, what do you guys usually do when it's your turn? So far this season we've done chewy granola bars & 100% juice capri suns.

For our next one I was thinking goldfish crackers & 100% juice again. I'd do the granola bars again but most of the kids looked less than thrilled (or didn't even take them,lol). I don't think homemade snacks would fly here.
I did 100% juice boxes and granola bars for our first game. It probably wouldn't be my first choice, but it's what I had on hand after forgetting I had signed myself up to go first!

As long as the parents on my team aren't bringing twinkies and soda (I've seen it happen) I'm happy. For my teenage son's team, we stopped bringing snacks-instead one family a week brings a bowl of cut up oranges and banannas for kids to eat throughout the game. They all bring their own water/sports drinks.

Don't get me started on the kid I saw eating a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a gallon o' soda 15 minutes before a game last week. Same kid with the mother that complained that the shorts for the uniforms ran really small through the butt, and that it's not right to make the kids tuck their uniforms in...........go figure!

#24 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 04:25 PM

DS (5) is playing Upward soccer..I'm getting rather frustrated with the whole scenario. It's supposed to be a kindergarten team (4 and 5yo's) but they let 3yo's play and it's just not fair to the rest of the team. Poor little things just have no idea what they're doing!! DS isn't even one of the oldest kids on the team (just turned 5 in August) and he's actually really good. But while he's about to score a goal the other kids on HIS team are standing in the GOAL kicking it out or shoving each other down or picking up the ball with their hands, etc etc. It's very annoying...

But DS is good and loves to play and we love to watch him. We're just NOT doing Upward next year for several reasons.

Soccer is my favorite sport by far. I played in college and LOVED it!!! I'm so glad that DS enjoys it!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#25 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 06:26 PM

Oh wow, my youngest is 3 and I can't imagine having him play on a team of kindergarteners! Wow.

~Rose~ 

#26 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
DS (5) is playing Upward soccer..I'm getting rather frustrated with the whole scenario. It's supposed to be a kindergarten team (4 and 5yo's) but they let 3yo's play and it's just not fair to the rest of the team. Poor little things just have no idea what they're doing!! DS isn't even one of the oldest kids on the team (just turned 5 in August) and he's actually really good. But while he's about to score a goal the other kids on HIS team are standing in the GOAL kicking it out or shoving each other down or picking up the ball with their hands, etc etc. It's very annoying...

But DS is good and loves to play and we love to watch him. We're just NOT doing Upward next year for several reasons.

Soccer is my favorite sport by far. I played in college and LOVED it!!! I'm so glad that DS enjoys it!!
We always do Upward basketball and it is a great program. We have never done soccer, but I am friends with the man who is charge of the program at our church and they never let kids that young play on the teams. That's crazy! My oldest was four when he started, but only played one season per year until he was about seven.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#27 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 06:36 PM

Just back from DS's game. He scored two goals, which always makes the ride home more enjoyable

I realized one reason I am enjoying this year so much is the fact that I actually have connected with one of the other moms on the team. My other children are much younger than the other siblings, so I've generally kept to myself, watching the girls. This year, someone seems to realize how cool the hippy mom is, and seeks me out to talk during the game. Our sons are both referees too, so it gives us some things in common besides the games. I'm just glad to have the company, and it's fun to have another parent specifically rooting for your kid too.

#28 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 10:41 PM

Oh my goodness, I killed the soccer mom thread! :

#29 of 87 Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
Oh my goodness, I killed the soccer mom thread! :
Nope -- I'll chime in and resurrect it...

We're definitely a soccer family here. Never played myself, but dh has played pretty much since he could walk. (His dad was a youth and HS coach.) DH is a coach and a licensed referee. My oldest ds is playing travel for the first time on a U-9 all boys team. Our club has three skill levels A, B and C. DS is on the C team. (He never actually had to try-out. We got a call this summer b/c the team lost some players and another parent who had coached DS in the past recommended asking him to play on the team.) His team played the league's B team today and beat them. But I missed the game b/c I was at a band rehearsal.

My dd also plays -- on an intramural girls team, ages 5 and 6. DH is one of the coaches. This is the first time he hasn't been DS's coach as well. I think DH is enjoying being able to sit back and just watch. For me, it's been neat, especially with DS 1, watching his skills develop over the past 4 years -- yes, he started playing soccer at age 4.

With having to chase my almost 3 yo around the fields, I don't always get to watch much of the games.

We're a pretty much sports-oriented family here. In addition to soccer, the whole family (our youngest excluded till he's 4) study karate (Tang So Do). All three kids take swimming lessons, and DD takes gymnastics, too. DD really enjoyed her first season of field hockey last spring and DS 1 is looking forward to baseball again in the spring. But just yesterday he asked me if he could try playing ice hockey. And tonight at dinner he said he wanted to find a football team to play on, too! :
#30 of 87 Old 10-02-2006, 12:20 AM

My kids play a different sport year round. It's soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, baseball in the spring/summer. Now that the twins are select, they're wanting to play that in the spring too. I feel that they're too young to settle in on one sport, so I don't know. Plus there are so many other options, football, track and field, lacrosse. How do you find time for all of it? They're involved in scouts as well and I really need to get them back into swimming lessons. Sigh, busy busy busy.

Oh, and today they lost as usual, but it was their best game yet! One of them is a really good goalie. Their coach has them give the standout players a nickname afterwards and his today was "Sir Goalie." I was calling my 2 yo with the dirty diaper "Sir Stinky." He didn't like that much.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page