Another recommendation for Bethany Women's Healthcare in AZ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-29-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my last baby with Donna Tash, CNM at Bethany Womens. I continued to see her for gyn care.

I was due for my annual and due to our schedules, I ended up seeing Dr. Alan Schapker (he's the son of the original Dr. Schapker who started BW).

I can not rave enough about Dr. Schapker. He was so kind, patient, gentle and all around everything I would hope for in a gyn. I had several questions and a concern I wanted to talk to him about. He pulled up a chair and we talked - really talked. He wasn't writing notes, checking his watch, waiting with a hand on the door etc... He looked me in the eye, heard me and addressed my questions and concerns. He's clearly very up to date on current research and is very proactive.

Anyway, I'm a doctor shopper. I will not tolerate a doctor who doesn't listen, spend time with me etc....

So, if you're in need of a good OB/GYN, you can't beat Dr. Schapker - and the best part is that they have offices in the east and west valley.
#2 of 22 Old 09-30-2006, 12:56 AM

I'm seeing Donna with this pregnancy, starting at the end of next month. I was with Lynette since she delivered my daughter, but she is in the hospital so we had to find someone else to take us. I love everyone I've met so far at BW!

CPST & mom

#3 of 22 Old 09-30-2006, 02:52 AM

Oh no! Why is Lynette in the hospital? I absolutely love her. She delivered my oldest dd at the birth center and I saw her all through dd #2's gestation. (I liked Dr. Shapker, too, not to hijack the thread)

But I am sad about Lynette. Does anyone have more info?
#4 of 22 Old 09-30-2006, 02:54 PM

I like Dr. Schapker too. I only saw him a couple times but he actually talked to me like an intelligent adult. He actually said that too, something to the effect of, well you are a smart person, listen to your body or something like that. He actually sat there and explained things and listened.

I am also wondering about Lynette. Anyone know what is wrong? I had an appt with her and they called and had to change it with someone else. They wouldn't tell me who was in the hospital, just said one of the mw's. But since my appt was with her I assumed it was her. I love her and hope she is back soon! Also, since they are short staffed they are trying to get me to see the Nurse practitioner for the 3rd time this pregnancy and I am not too excited about that!
#5 of 22 Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 PM

Just wanted to chime in and clarify. ALAN Shapker is the dad, SCOTT Shapker is the son.

I have been a patient of Scott's for 3 years and I totally agree w/ all the praise for him. He's a very low-intervention kind of guy. I went to 3 different OB practices before I found him. He's the only one who had anything positive to say about childbirth. He read my birth plan and said "it's your baby and your body". What more could you ask for?
#6 of 22 Old 10-07-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiab View Post
Just wanted to chime in and clarify. ALAN Shapker is the dad, SCOTT Shapker is the son.
That is so strange! I thought that was the case but when I left my appointment, I commented to the front office staff how this was the first time I had seen this Dr. Schapker (the son) and how much I appreciated Dr. Schapker and how kind and respectful he was etc..... I asked for his business card (he was the only doctor there at the time). The front office staff looked at the cards and only had one for "Dr. Scott Schapker" so they crossed out "Scott" and wrote in "Alan". I even said, oh, I thought the father was Alan and they said no, that's Alan - referring to the son I had just seen. How bizzare is that?
#7 of 22 Old 10-08-2006, 12:17 AM

Lynette has Valley Fever. She's got a long hard road ahead of her if she has it bad enough to take her down for the count -- it's my understanding that either you get it so mildly that you don't notice it, or it really wreaks havoc.
#8 of 22 Old 10-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Banned

I tried to make an appointment with Lynnete, but couldn't. So now I know why.

I saw Lynette for routine gyn stuff last year, and everything was nice. However, when I called to schedule my first prenatal appointment, the receptionist was really difficult to deal with. She told me that I couldn't see a midwife, and that prenatals were scheduled with the NP "until you're further along." (She didn't say what that meant.) After that, she informed me, I couldn't pick a midwife I'd have to take whoever was on that day. I don't know any of the other midwives but Lynette, so I was going to have to take pot-luck for a bit anyhow.

I used my teacher-voice to get a midwife appointment out of her - regardless of their office policy, I need to find out if I feel comfortable with the people who will be at my birth. Did I just get a bad receptionist, or is there a way to negotiate with them so they're more accomodating?
#9 of 22 Old 10-08-2006, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Lynette has Valley Fever
NOOOO! Darn, mostly I feel bad for her! But also, she is my favorite and I was hoping she would be there for my birth!

Stik-I have been having the same problem. They have wanted me to see the NP 3 times now! I have no problem seeing her for one of my appts but this is getting a little ridiculous. I understand that they are short staffed now that Lynette is out but like you, I feel like I need to meet all of the mw's so I am sure I am comfortable with them. When Lynette went in the hospital they called me to change my appt and wanted to schedule it with the NP and I told them I needed to see a mw because there was something I needed to talk to a mw about (I was going to decline the GTT test that the NP told me I needed to take in the previous appt). They said they didn't have any openings so I told them I needed to check my schedule (I called a few days later and made an appt for a week later than my previous appt and got in with a mw. But then they scheduled me a with the NP again for the next appt. Another reason I don't want to see the NP again is because she basically told me she does more tests etc than the mw's.

Sorry so long. I guess all that to say all I think you can do is keep pushing the issue and see if you can see a mw. But unfortunately, they were right and the mw that attends your birth will be whoever is on call.
#10 of 22 Old 10-08-2006, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

That is so strange! From day one I saw Donna Tash, CNM. I never saw a NP nor did I have to see any of the other providers. They didn't even make me see the other midwives - I saw Donna and Donna only except for one time when I had a RAGING yeast infection and Dr. Martin was the only one available so I had to go out to the west valley office. Maybe they didn't hassle me about seeing anyone else because I went to the Mesa office and only a few of them go there? I don't know??? But, it's your body, your baby. I would leave a message for the midwife and ask her to call you so you can talk about it with them personally.

It is true that when you go into labor, you get whoever is on call. But, at my final appointment, Donna stripped my membranes (I was over a week late). I started contracting in the office and Donna told me to go home and if I was actually in labor to have her paged. She wasn't on call that day but I went home and a few hours later, it was clear I was in labor. Per her instructions, I had the office staff page her and she came in on her day off and delivered my DD.
#11 of 22 Old 10-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

I'm actually cool with the fact that the midwife who is on call will be the midwife who attends my birth. Midwives need to sleep and spend time with their families. And I'm happy to meet all of them by having appointments with them.

That said, I would strongly prefer that MOST of my prenatal care be scheduled with the same person, so I can build a relationship that allows me to feel comfortable discussing my concerns. If they're short-staffed, they should either hire a new midwife or put a cap on their patient load.

In case it doesn't work out, I think I actually live near Caring for Women. Does anyone have any experience with them?
#12 of 22 Old 10-08-2006, 08:06 PM

Michelle-I think it did help that you were in the east valley office. I have heard that Donna is the one that is mostly there. But when Lynette was not in the hospital, I did get to schedule with her most times, especially when my appts were 4 weeks apart. Now that they are 2 weeks it seems none of the mw's have openings, ugh! Lynette also told me she would possibly be on call for me like Donna was for you so I am so bummed that she is sick (but more worried about her than me!).

Stik-I would just keep pushing your appt back until you can meet who with who you want and see if that works. I just noticed they actually have 2 NP's and I a few years ago I don't even think they had one. I hope they aren't changing the way they do things. I don't have any experience with Caring for Women, sorry. There is Dr. by the name if Dr. Nichelle Whitehead that is supposed to be really great so you may want to look into her. She delivers at Good Sam which I wasn't excited about but so many people rave about her and about how low intervention etc she is.
#13 of 22 Old 10-12-2006, 02:39 PM

I switched to Donna I'm sure I will love Donna, I have heard nothing but good things about her, but I loved Lynette! I hope she gets better!

CPST & mom

#14 of 22 Old 10-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

I had my first appt. with Connie and I really like her. She was supportive of my campaign to see only midwives.

And now I have a big bag of free-but-basically-useless baby stuff. Presents!
#15 of 22 Old 10-19-2006, 12:06 AM

Does anyone have experience with Marla? I have had so many cancelled appointments and reschedules that I'm about ready to switch to a different midwife group. Now I have an appointment with Marla next week (assuming of course that one doesn't get cancelled too). I haven't heard much about her. TIA!

CPST & mom

#16 of 22 Old 10-25-2006, 12:26 AM

So sorry to hear about Lynette - she is my absolute favorite a million times over. Talk about a woman who really respects woman and trusts in birth.

I'll second the thumbs up for Dr. Schapker Jr (whatever his first name might be - lol). I had a doula client who ended up having a very complicated c-section, and he spoke with the entire family about it. Took a long time, explained what happened in clear, gentle terms - and was kind and gracious to everyone involved.

I've had great experiences with everyone at Baptist - except for the darn nursery nurses....for some reason my clients have had back luck with post partum care there...
#17 of 22 Old 10-25-2006, 05:18 PM

Lynette is back! When I was there today I made an appt with her for the middle of Nov.

Sorry Anna I don't have any experience with Marla. They keep trying to put me with the Nurse practitioner (again at today's appt, they scheduled me with her in two weeks) so I haven't gotten a chance to meet any mw's except for Lynette and Connie (which so far I like both a lot).
#18 of 22 Old 10-26-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Does anyone have experience with Marla?
She delivered DS! I liked her a lot in the office (even more than Donna actually. She was more chatty and I prefer that), but I'll admit to feeling like she was slightly annoyed with me when I was in labor. :

I had her paged a couple of times before I was ready to go to the birth center. Maybe that annoyed her, but I was feeling confused about when I needed to head over there. In the end, I was so afraid to call her and annoy her that I waited until I was in serious transition and had to go through it in the car. (Which was my worst nightmare.)

Her bedside manner left something to be desired during the delivery, but she was VERY hands off and I love her for that. I made a comment when I got to the BC about how I was feeling "pushy". It was my first BC birth, so I guess I expected that comment to incite a whirlwind of activity (cervical confirmation, baby bed prep - SOMETHING ) and she looked at me and kind of chuckled, "So PUSH!"

Mama to 4.5
#19 of 22 Old 10-30-2006, 01:35 AM

Thanks Hanna! I actually had my first visit with her on Friday and we did not click at all. Zero. She was actually quite rude, didn't bother looking up my name, was very well brisk I guess. She also didn't let me refuse the blood work and she lectured me on what a disservice I was doing DD by having my babies "so close together." Thankfully I have an appointment with Lynette next month.

CPST & mom

#20 of 22 Old 11-01-2006, 01:31 AM

Yikes Anna! I am not looking forward to meeting her! I can't believe she said you were doing a disservice to your dd! That is totally inappropriate!
#21 of 22 Old 11-01-2006, 02:48 AM

I used BWC for my pregnancy

I mainly went to the Mesa office and saw Donna and Marla equally (I met Connie once at the Phoenix office). I'd definitely say Donna is more friendly. Marla is blunt and she is one midwife you will not get the warm fuzzies with. I saw her and Donna so much I got used to both of them.

During labor I went through Donna, Lynette, and finally delivered with Marla and another midwife(?) I had never met. I got the impression she was in training. Either way I was not very comfortable with her and was relieved when Marla stepped back in. Overall I liked Donna immediately and grew to like Marla.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#22 of 22 Old 11-06-2006, 08:29 PM

i noticed quite a few of you don't like marla...i know at first she comes across as unfriendly and she tends to be "in and out" real wuick with each person but she will take the time to sit and listen and she does care..if you give her that chance. to be completely honest at first i thought 'oh god i hope this b*tch isnt at my delivery' but then i spent like 25 -30 min. in the room talking with her about my concerns and she basically was just a shoulder for me to lean on. but yea i do know how she seems to be disconnected but she has her goo ddays too lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page