Vancouver Tribe: Pumpkin Time... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is the thread for Lower Mainland mamas who like to chat online and meet in person. All local mamas are welcome here! Visitors are welcome to pop in too. We are brought together by our passion for conscious/thoughtful/attachment/respectful/wholistic/natural parenting, not always agreeing on the path but agreeing to respectfully discuss, share and learn together. Feel free to join in the conversation and introduce yourself!

We have regular Cranberry Crunchies gatherings every Friday afternoon (cancelled on Oct. 20!) in north Burnaby - send a personal message to Ksenia for details. The gatherings are for socializing, playing and working on projects together. There is also a local knitting group that has its own thread. Finally, there are sporadic get-togethers at parks, Science World (SW), etc. that are posted in the thread. If you want to meet up with other mamas you can always suggest a get-together if none of those work for you!

Remember that to get email notification of new posts in this thread, you can post to this thread to subscribe or you can use 'thread tools' and click 'subscribe'.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Reading about your rationale is really interesting Tiffani. I must say that I am intrigued by the fact that many of you are planning families with more than 2 kids!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
so, anyone have any great ideas for fundraisers?
How about a real fundraiser? Like having a really cool party or dinner and charging a big ticket price for attending?

#3 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

: Clue me in, what is a DDDDC? And why isn't Tiffani a saucy mama anymore?

#4 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

So to follow up on the scene in the courtyard at Cranberry Crunchies...I met with the woman and with a neighbour who has a background in facilitating process-based conflict resolution. I did my homework by really trying to figure out what my feelings and needs were. It was actually a really positive process! I think that a trigger for the woman was that she got the impression that I was not concerned about her physical safety or hurt feelings resulting from having ds throw a rock at her. She was also PMSing, etc. She said that it wasn't her intention to communicate that way but couldn't help herself. I have a bit of an issue with her not taking responsibility for her own behaviour, but on the other hand I recognize that she doesn't have the greatest self-control in terms of how she expresses her anger. On the problem-solving front, I came up with the idea of inviting her family over for dinner, with the goal of energetically showing ds that we care about her and her family and giving him an opportunity to get to know her better so he can relate to her as a person rather than an object to throw rocks at. Ds throwing rocks at her has happened several times, but neither the woman or I had any better ideas of addressing this behaviour at the time. The whole thing was exhausting and annoying but worthwhile.

#5 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: ideas for fundraisers- How about having a T-Shirts sale? Cool T -Shirts for adults and kids' sizes with the flag of Ethiopia...or "I Support Adoption"...or with some creative logo.
I also like Ksenia's idea.
I keep thinking for more.have to run.
#6 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 09:53 PM

--------Quoting Mariah---------------------
I have a question: was your decision made easier by the fact that your kids seem to have reached the age where things are getting easier for you? I feel so overwhelmed sometimes with how much hard work babies and toddlers are, and am honestly really looking forward to getting past this phase and into the "kids" phase. Right now the idea of having any more children sends DH and I screaming to the hills. I wonder if, once our kids are at an easier age, if we might feel differently.
---------------------------------------------------------

Oh yes!! We were DONE having kids about 6 months ago! both of my kids have gone through a major metamorphosis around the age of 5, and things just got a lot easier. I also feel like I *finally* have this whole parenting thing down, and it might be nice to share that with a few more little ones. We have always said that we'd have two kids, and then if we wanted more we'd adopt, and Mark had a vasectomy when dexter was about a month old. Mark had been wanting more kids for a while, and one day the thought actually appealed to me rather than making me want to tear my hair out. Sensing me beginning to crack, Mark brought up adopting, or having his vasectomy reversed to have more babies, and I realized that I was thrilled to have had two wonderful births, but I was done with pregnancy and birth (my own, anyway...I'll live vicariously through others from here on in) and that we should stick to the original plan of adopting if we want more people in our family. So that's how we arrived at that decision! At this point, we're living in a pretty cozy place, and have a lot of debt, but we have a minivan and a king size bed, so two more babies will fit in just fine!

gotta run!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#7 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 PM

Hello everyone!

And happy first of October - what a beautiful, sunny day to bring it in with!

Ksenia, so glad things are resolved with your neighbour, I think your solution is a very wholesome, long-term look at the situation, what a great idea!

DDDCCC (or whatever it is!) is something like "dirty deeds done cheap" or something like that - essentially anyone can pay to have one given to someone else. Perhaps there's a time limit on them and that's why it's not there anymore?!

We had a very successful community workshop on cordwood wall building - people came and went, some lent a helping hand and others chatted but it was definitely great to see people who dropped by! And it's such a great way for us to become productive - set a date and openly invite others! We're thinking next we'll have to do a 'trim and baseboards' workshop and maybe one day we'll complete all the finishing touches from the renos?!! Anyways, here's the photo set for anyone who wants to see our afternoon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8525593...7594308262654/

For fundraising, a huge community dance? Or see if there's an Ethiopian or Eastern Africa group in Vancouver, and see if they'll help you do a big feast - or even talk to Nyala (is that the restaurant across the street from us?) about doing a big fundraiser night there, and we can all pay $25 for a nice meal. And there must be Ethiopian/East African musicians or dancers in the city? Perhaps they'd don't some time for a variety show of sorts, or after dinner entertainment?! And then do a raffle at the dinner and/or dance for cool prizes donated!!!! You could easily get a few thousand dollars that way - and Ethiopian food is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!!

Okay, off to BellySong - hope everyone had a great weekend! Erica

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#8 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 10:26 PM

Ksenia, I really appreciate how you have shared your process in dealing with a challenging situation with a neighbour. It fits in really nicely with what I just did this weekend, which was attend a RESTITUTION workshop sponsored by Windsor House. I've walked away with the following info (and stuff I KNEW, but really needed to hear again): There is no such thing as MISbehaviour. Behaviour never misses, it always meets a need. It may be a maladaptive way of meeting a need, but it is an attempt to meet a need.
Other than survival needs, we all have a greater or lesser need for the following four things: 1)Belonging 2) Freedom 3) Power 4) Fun
We can only control our selves. The best thing we can do is concentrate on the RELATIONSHIP with our child and forget about enforcing rules. However, we do need to have bottom lines in our families (have a family vision and belief statement).
Anyway, this workshop focused on ourselves personally and then on our family and was then further extrapolated to how we "deal" with kids/each other in community (in this case school). I LOVED IT!

I bought the book, "My Child is a Pleasure" There is also a CD (maybe DVD??) that goes with it as well as a workbook and I'm thinking there might be an interest to do some self-led workshops to go through this book. Maybe not everyone would be interested, but I know I need a lot of work in the parenting dpt, because in times of high stress (currently) I resort to ways of parenting that are not effective (punishing, guilting, "buddying").

Interestingly enough, Diane Gossen (the author of the aforementioned book) and her co-leader (Judy Anderson), said that they don't think there is such a thing as total non-coercion, but that our goal is to find the LEAST coercive method. I am not able to sum up what I learned in the small time I have here at the computer, but I really think there is a lot of value in what they offer that goes beyond what Kohn offers in his book Unconditional Parenting, and yet is in that same vein.

Talk to you all soon!

Abby
#9 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner&tiegs View Post
We had a very successful community workshop on cordwood wall building - people came and went, some lent a helping hand and others chatted but it was definitely great to see people who dropped by!
It looks fantastic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BMamaof3 View Post
It fits in really nicely with what I just did this weekend, which was attend a RESTITUTION workshop sponsored by Windsor House.
Sounds great!

#10 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ksenia - I'm glad that the meeting with your neighbour went well. I can certainly understand being triggered by a belief that you didn't care that she'd had a rock thrown at her. I hope she came to understand a little more about your parenting philosophy, as well.

Wolfie seemed much less stressed on Friday. I think having Stephan there helped him a lot. (He is really terrific with the kids - I think that's the first time I've ever seen Emma interact with a strange adult for any length of time without getting mad.) Maybe this will help him transition into having all of us running around his space once a week. I'm sure that's part of why he's been having a rough time.

So....Emma got her Halloween costume today. She's a fairy princess. The costume that she fell in love with is Barbie brand. *sigh*

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#11 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 11:31 PM

Ksenia, you can read about "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" here.

Tiffani, it helps so much to hear how positive you are feeling about your parenting. I used to really feel that way, like I had it all figured out. Having a second child robbed me of that confidence, lol. I mean, I do think I have it "figured out", it's just that my ability to parent the way I want to parent is often compromised by my own inability to deal with stress, fatigue, organizing my time, etc. Right now I mostly struggle with trying to savour this period of my children's lives (particularly DS) when often I feel like I just can't wait for them to be just a bit older. Anyways, I am very happy for you two, and look forward to welcoming your new additions to our little community.

Ksenia: I think it is great that cohousing encourages you to go through this process, as difficult as it can be. Sounds like you got alot out of it. I am curious, does Wolfie target this woman specifically? I think kids sense emotional stability in adults sometimes and react to it. Anyways, I'm really glad that it worked out.

Erica - the wall looked great when we drove by today! Was Jamie the guy with the goatie? I forgot to ask you to introduce us since I've never met him. Question: doesn't the wood eventually rot away?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to DD14 and DS12, both born on MDC.
#12 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 PM

subbing quickly!! :
#13 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
Ksenia, you can read about "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" here.

Tiffani, it helps so much to hear how positive you are feeling about your parenting. I used to really feel that way, like I had it all figured out. Having a second child robbed me of that confidence, lol. I mean, I do think I have it "figured out", it's just that my ability to parent the way I want to parent is often compromised by my own inability to deal with stress, fatigue, organizing my time, etc. Right now I mostly struggle with trying to savour this period of my children's lives (particularly DS) when often I feel like I just can't wait for them to be just a bit older. Anyways, I am very happy for you two, and look forward to welcoming your new additions to our little community.

?

I am totally with you on this Mariah, but I think it will pass.

Tiffani, thanks for explaining, I knew you would have a great reply and I thought that was a great idea to adopt 2. It will also be such a great experience for Dexter and Lucy to go to Ethiopia and see what life is like over there eh?

I know a lady who recently adopted from China and she said it was difficult taking the baby away from the family that took care of her for 6 months as if she was their own. I would imagine it will be the same for you, as you said, no doubt there will be mixed feelings.

You are right about Vancouver being more multi cultural and there are many africans, especially in New Westminster. Though I believe mostly from the Congo. Where my sister found it most difficult was when we lived in smaller cities and towns. ie Comox, Victoria, Kingston, ON. (Kingston was by far the most racist of all the Canadian cities we lived in). My mom didn't have a lot of choice as to where we lived as she was a single parent and was employed by the Dept of National Defence and we had to go where there were bases or military colleges.

She was ok in Ottawa, but feels most comfortable in Montreal.
#14 of 690 Old 10-01-2006, 11:53 PM

kazia, how great! have a wonderful time. i know your second loves his daddy and won't miss you unhappily.

i think i've told a few of you, my big girl is going to celebrate her sixth birthday in london, uk! instead of her granny coming to visit, she's going there with her daddy, since it coincides with a business trip. she didn't even blink at the opportunity to go. they will leave the baby and i at home, which is good for everybody. funny how if he had left on a business trip the first time round at 11 months of age, i would have been very unhappy!

congratulations, tiffani!

#15 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 AM

Subbing before I forget...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#16 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 AM
Len

Yikes! October is here!!! I love October, it made me happy to see the calendar today

Ksenia, kudos on your efforts to fix up things with the neighbor (s). It sounds like a good plan for everybody.

Tiffani, that's so exciting about the adoption, congrats.... that's something DH and I have always wanted to do, maybe later in our lives. I will follow your experience and hopefully one day I'll take the plunge...

Erica, that wood fence looks good, is that your place? We went to Shaktea today and thought of many of you who talked about that place the other day. There was a lot of art exhibits going on and that neighbourhood has changed so much and I found it super cool! (I hadn't been there in a while) I am a little jealous from all of you that live around that area.

Kazia, have a great one in Seattle, and go for the night (if you didn't already)
your kids will be well taken care of

Artparent (it was nice to meet you IRL the other day BTW) it's great that your little girl will be traveling with dad, sheesh, we almost wish they would not want to let go of us so easily, don't we?
#17 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Tiffani, it helps so much to hear how positive you are feeling about your parenting. I used to really feel that way, like I had it all figured out. Having a second child robbed me of that confidence, lol. I mean, I do think I have it "figured out", it's just that my ability to parent the way I want to parent is often compromised by my own inability to deal with stress, fatigue, organizing my time, etc.
Oh, I'm pretty compromised from time to time it's just that for a while there (like a few years) we were at a total loss as to how to deal with Dexter. Once that passed it was like we were a whole new family, and everything is a lot easier these days. Not perfect, mind you, but pretty rosey compared to 6 months ago, when I honestly wondered at times if he would ever grow to be a functioning member of society.

DDDDC

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#18 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am curious, does Wolfie target this woman specifically?
Yes he does. As far as I know he doesn't do this to anyone else. I agree that kids pick up on things - she really tends to project a "victim" aura . It's our responsibility to convey to Wolfi that she is a person who deserves to be treated with respect and care.

#19 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

So, I've been thrilled that Cranberry Crunchies has been so well attended. Unfortunately last Friday I started to worry that there were simply too many people. There were about 18 families and probably about 45 people including kids and babies! : And there were even some "regulars" who weren't there. Everything went smoothly, partly because people were spread out around the community and partly because you folks are so awesome. I did notice, however, that it was getting harder for parents to keep track of their kids' activities and whereabouts. Also, I really don't think that our Common House could comfortably contain that number of kids on rainy days (the acoustics are horrible in there). I'm guessing 10 or fewer families would be the ideal number?

Is anyone else concerned about how big it's getting? Any ideas or suggestions? I would like to keep the administration pretty simple.

#20 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ksenia - I was wondering a little about that on Friday. I think it's possible that attendance will drop slightly when the weather turns rainy. (I think you'll still get the same number of us dropping by, but suspect some of us - like me - will miss more often than we do now. There are times that even the thought of dealing with raingear and all that keeps me home. )

However, if attendance doesn't drop off a bit naturally, I'm not sure what to suggest. I'll give it a bit of thought. I think it would be hard to keep numbers under control without forfeiting the easy-going, drop-in nature of CC. We'll see how it goes.

As far as keeping track of our children is concerned...I can't speak for anyone else, but I find Emma almost impossible to keep track of if I'm even slightly involved in conversing with other people. She's quick!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#21 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 03:12 AM

Ksenia: that was my first cc meeting and I was amazed at how many people there were. I was also amazed that your coop would let you have so many people in the courtyard which seemed to be a common entrance way for all residents. I noticed a few of the residents seemed a little irked near the end. Which I can totally understand. I'm not sure I would particularly like that scenario. But then I am not someone who would enjoy coop living either.

I agree with Lisa that if we are contained to the inside on a rainy day, for one there will be less people and for two when things are noisy etc... people don't tend to stay as long, kids get tired faster, we get tired of the noise faster. I think the reason we all seemed to stay till 4 almost is that everything was going so well, kids were playing everyone was happy etc...
It was calm and peaceful and fun, and aren't we just all so much more relaxed in the nice warm weather?
#22 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 03:17 AM

Ok so I was thinking about the adoption thing again, and the poverty etc... and I have this question, and please don't take it as a criticism of what you're doing Tiffani, I'm just curious really. If it costs $10 000 to adopt a child,... how far could that 10 grand go towards helping that mother raise her own child? What is the dollar value compared to currency in African countries? I was just thinking like if there was a way to help a mother in Africa say by sending her even $50/month over 18 years that would be about $10 grand. I seem to remember hearing about a woman who had set up a system to do this, where your money went directly to a particular mother so she could buy food/clothing for her family.
#23 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 AM

G'morning all.

Ksenia, I'm glad you are finding a way to resolve the issue with your neighbour. I hate conflict so I'm always impressed when others work it out well.

On the adoption note, I think there is a need for both people willing to help mothers (and fathers!) in third world countries - and here for that matter - raise their children, and for people willing to spend a large initial sum to adopt children from those countries. Not all children from third world countries were given up by their parents out of financial need. There are children whose parents have died, were killed or whose parents are genuinely unwilling or unable to raise them. Orphans exist every where, for all sorts of reasons and if people were only willing to give money, rather than adopt, from foreign countries, many children would remain institutionalized rather than raised in loving homes. It's easy to look at the sums necessary for foreign adoption and think "baby buying" but those funds go to a myriad of places, legal fees, travel expenses, contributions to the orphanages to help care for the remaining children, bureaucratic fees, etc. Reputable adoption agency can and do account for all the expenses. Just my 02.

On a totally different note, yarn. If anyone wants yarn, give me a PM! I met a lot of you yesterday after I posted the stash on the knitting group thread (it was really nice to meet/see all of you!), but there is lots more! There is s till quite a lot of wool and wool blends and cotton and cotton blend. And there is HEAPS of acrylic if you know anyone who crafts with non-natural fibres. I'm asking $1 a ball for the natural fibres and .50 for the acrylic. And if any of you spin, Alli tells me that I have a bag of very fine cotton and/or wool thread that is good for that :-)

I'm off to sneak in some crocheting while DS is still asleep. He's decided that sleeping in bed without me there is not okay, so I have to either keep him up late with me so I can have time to do my own stuff or go to bed with him and stay there REALLY early. I'm hoping this is just because DH has gone away to school for a week and that we will go back to our usual lie down until DS is sleeping then sneak away and get 3 - 4 hours personal time; please, please, please!
#24 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 10:48 AM

dido1- dd is sick this week and I'm having the same "personal time" issue. I've rocked her for all of her naps, gone to sleep at the same time as her, and stayed in the room with her at all times (or she screams). She's hanging out with grandma today - hopefully that'll be ok.

music-mommy, Plan Canada does that kind of thing if you're personally interested - for schooling and community-building. I tried it on my own too when I was younger and had more money, but I think that it is better and more constructive when it's done through an agency that makes sure that community-building happens, too. And that the money is spent appropriately.

That's something I've thought of with adoption, too, and my MIL is very much against it, saying that kids should be adopted w/in the country. While I agree in theory, in practice that takes people able to adopt, a structure for in-country adoptions, etc. All things to work towards while children are being adopted...so the kids don't have to wait and so that future kids can be adopted w/in the country.

Tiffani, Ethiopian food is really yummy. How about a catered meal/dancing for a set price?

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#25 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 AM

: subbing:
#26 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Another : Toronto where the leaves are turning beautiful colours but the wind is SO cold! we're almost halfway though my big kids had a sleepover with my inlaws last night and I am seeing the perks of having family to help out... however this is quickly replaced by the reminder of all the meddling, obligations and not to forget crazy looks we get! someone actually said to me yesterday when I indicated that I would rather go home to eat than feed my kids fast food that since I was from Vancouver I probably feed my kids *healthy food*... is that bad?

Abby I am really interested in your book... I have definitely not mastered the parenting thing and Tiffani I am always open to your ideas... so tell me how to deal with my own kids crazinesses now that you've got Dexter figured out because sometimes I also wonder if my eldest will ever be a functioning member of society I wish I had your confidence! I think more often I feel like Jacksmum did on her bad day well it is getting better over the years but sometimes the improvement seems so slow! I am so glad for all the support here or I know I would be lost

Ksenia... I don't know what the solution is... it is obvious that this mdc group needs a regular weekly place to meet that is drop-in. The nice thing about your place (okay they are lots of nice things about it ) is that it is central, and has nice indoor and outdoor areas that are closed in so no one can escape onto the street! I think the rainy weather to come will affect attendance too... If we consider trying to get a space somewhere the problem is always getting it free, because if there is any fees it always ends up being harder to organize!! Between all these brilliant energetic mamas though we must be able to figure something out!

continuing to check it to maintain my saniety :

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#27 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 01:26 PM

Ksenia, I notice that a lot of ppl that live there seem to come home between 3-3:30. I was thinking you could move the meeting time from 11-2, so that we would be out of everyone's hair. I personally enjoy 12-3, since it's hard to get outta the house earlier, but I also wouldn't want to see CC end because of conflicts with neighbors. Or maybe make it til 2:30...so everyone is going home on time.

: Cayden has been up every 1/2 hour last night (as well as the last couple nights!)...from 10-8:30, we were in bed and like clockwork he's been up And he wakes up crying/shouting, and he NEEDS to be nursed back to sleep (sometimes I wonder if any milk will be there )
It use to be, I could just rest my hand on him if he woke up, to let him know I'm there...but he also wasn't crying then either, I'd get to him before then. Now it's just BAM crying, and sitting up and clawing at me : I'm used to him nursing every 2 hours...and I thought that felt like a lot!
His naps are good, 2-3 naps...about 2-3 hours total a day.
I'm at a loss
I guess the most obvious is teething, but he doesn't seem to be acting like he usually does when he is teething.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#28 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 01:28 PM

Hey Dominique, good question, I had the same one at first. No time to post much, but I'll second what justine (dido) said, and add that the situation in ethiopia is totally overwhelming for them right now. HIV, and other diseases run rampant due to poverty, drought, famine, etc, and the traditional social structure can't handle the amount of orphans there are. There are many aunties, grandmas, etc trying to care for as many kids as they can, but it's just beyond the breaking point. It sounds terrible, but I would rather take in a child who has no-one than a child who was given up strictly for reasons of poverty. Many mothers have several children and can't care for all of them, so have to choose which ones to give up for adoption. Heartbreaking.
Childbirth mortality is pretty high too, and I've heard of at least one story where a perfectly healthy baby was left to die in a heap of blankets in a corner of a hospital after the mother had died during childbirth. Fortunately an aid worker was passing by and found the infant, who now lives in Wisconson Oh wait, that might have been a story from Haiti, but there are many, many stories like that in any impoverished country.
Basically, what it comes down to is, we would like to add children to our family, and feel that there are enough people in the world already, so would rather provide a home for a child/ren who might otherwise not have one. When looking around the world, both domestically and internationally, Ethiopia, Haiti, and other really impoverished places seem to have the greatest need for people to adopt from, in addition to global financial assistance to improve conditions there. Right now, today, this year, however, if we can give a home to kids who might otherwise have been living on the street, or adopt children from a loving orphanage and make room for the next kids who they bring in off the street, then it seems like a good start. I'm in no way 'western-centric' thinking that our way of life is better than the way of life in africa, but Ethiopia, and other poverty-stricken nations all over the world, unfortunately, have reached a breaking point, and for the kids who are adopted, and for the kids who fill those spaces in the orphanages (which provide education for older kids), it changes their world dramatically.
Oh, and yes, the money issue -- another day I can break it all down for you, but the largest chunk goes to Ethiopia -- I was thinking it went directly to the orphanage, but I'm now guessing it goes to the gov't, who then probably wastes most of it, as govt's do, and then the rest goes to orphan care in Ethiopia. I'll have to look into that...

cheers!

#29 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 PM

Wow, lots of activity going on in this thread right now, hard to keep up with all the different, thought-provoking conversations!:

To answer a few questions directed at me, yes that's my hubby, Mariah, and yes that's our house, Elena and I agree, I'm loving this neighbourhood these days!! Not only are there many cool restaurants, clothes stores, etc opening up, there are so many great parks and many neighbours working hard to create a community feel! As for rotting, I know that people build entire houses with this style so it's possible to make it without rotting - a few key tips are to use completely dried out, good quality wood to start with, and if you're building a house, have a large overhang with the roof. With the ends kept open, the wood also 'breathes' which helps prevent rot. As for our fence, I'm not too concerned if it eventually rots away, it's more just trying things out - however, if we put a thick layer of mortar on top then hopefully it'll remain fairly protected - we saw a gorgeous wall/fence like this during our bike trip in Haida Gwaii and it didn't seem to be suffering too much!

Re: Cranberry Crunchies - if we do choose to rent out a space at a community centre or something, it should only be a couple of $ per family with so many of us, so perhaps that's one option?

Okay, off to hang out with the kids for a bit - I don't think we're going to make it to skating this week, as after a very busy weekend we're all (me especially!) needing a quiet day at home to just hang out. Oh, and is anyone hoping to go swimming tomorrow afternoon? I don't think we'll be able to make it as I'd forgotten we'd signed up for a YNC outing that goes from 10-2 - oops!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#30 of 690 Old 10-02-2006, 02:41 PM

Tiffani- I think it is great that you have chosen adoption. Dh and his brother are both adopted.

The thread moves so fast that it seems when i have a chance to comment on something the moment has passes.
Jen- I can't wait for you to get back- I miss you (and Jason)

Elena- Is there a wonderful news coming in October

I can't believe October is here already- Only a couple months left till i have a DD. On a sad note, I found out I have Gestational Diabetes and with my blood pressure being so low, the fainting spells i get, my pregnancies so close together after a c/s and now GD my midwives decided that i should be transfered to an OB I have an appointed next Tuesday, I do really like this OB though- he delivered Tyson. But i do have an awful feeling that my VBAC may be in jeopardy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page