Eastern Europe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 10-12-2006, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone here who is currently or has lived in Eastern Europe?

I lived in Kyiv, Ukraine for about 2 years where I met and married my dh. We are currently living in Canada but I am so *homesick* for Ukraine.

Anyone else???

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#2 of 36 Old 10-12-2006, 12:48 PM

Привет!

I lived in St Petersburg 1997-98 for a year and met and married my dh there. There's actually quite a few North American women with Russian/Ukranian husbands on this board -- and around.

Hopefully there will be a multicultural families forum soon where it will be easier to have a running thread.
#3 of 36 Old 10-12-2006, 04:34 PM

I am originally from Lithuania - does that count? I have been in Canada for over 6 years now, but spent all my life until then in Lithuania and traveling around most of Europe . I speak Russian, it is a bit rusty, but comes back really quickly if I start using it .
#4 of 36 Old 10-13-2006, 04:45 AM

Hey-

Married to a Russian expat here, who will not speak Russian to our kids : I am about to ask for the Rosetta Stone Russian course for Christmas...I am getting so irritated by this! It is such a wasted opportunity. I speak more Russian to the kids- and I only know about 60 words and phrases.

Anyhow, one quesion here: how do Russians celebrate birthdays over there? My dh seems to completely ignore our (his and mine) birthdays and I can't get a straight answer from him on this one. I was wondering if that is a cultural difference...?
#5 of 36 Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 PM

My husband is Ukrainian, we live in the U.S. now but we lived in Kyiv for several 6-mo long stints. He still has his apartment there and we hope to live there with our son for a year or 2.
#6 of 36 Old 10-13-2006, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceface View Post
My husband is Ukrainian, we live in the U.S. now but we lived in Kyiv for several 6-mo long stints. He still has his apartment there and we hope to live there with our son for a year or 2.
Wow! Cool! I wish we had a flat there. We are planning a trip there in the spring and it would be so much easier with a flat of our own. I guess we sort of do but dh's mom and sister are living there and its in such an icky region.

Did you here? We no longer need visas to go! Yippee!

Did you meet while living in Ukraine? We both met and married there. It was so crazy!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#7 of 36 Old 10-13-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

udonandbroth, are you still heading to Russia this winter?

#8 of 36 Old 10-14-2006, 02:44 AM

Eastern Europe? That would be me! I am originally from Poland, came to US 7 years ago.

We made a decision to teach our dd Polish. She is now 2.5 years old, and while she was slightly speach delayed at first, now she is very very fluent in Polish, I think her vocabulary is of a 3.5 year old. But, since I am a sahm she is exposed to Polish language all the time, dh is hardly ever home. Her English is slowly starting off but I think she really needs to be exposed to it more.

I noticed that because she is not using English, she is not able to be assertive enough in a park where other children may try to push her or take advantage of her. She is quiet, but then, I think, it is also her personality. What I am trying now is I am teaching her some English words and phrases that can help her in real life. Like to say: "Don't touch me" or "It is my turn now". And she is interested in that because she is asking me for it.

My dh is from Croatia but he also doesn't want to speak to dd in his native tongue :.
#9 of 36 Old 10-14-2006, 03:07 PM

I haven't lived in Eastern Europe, but my dh is Romanian - we met and married in Ireland of all places. We moved to my hometown in CA 4.5 years ago. He was really resistant about speaking to our older dd in Romanian, but has made a real effort since our younger dd was born. She has all the signs of being bilingual, and our older dd is catching up (she's always been understand more than she could say, though).
#10 of 36 Old 10-14-2006, 05:11 PM

No, now we are going next summer Oh, well, those are the breaks... it's an $$$ trip for five!
#11 of 36 Old 10-14-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by udonandbroth View Post
No, now we are going next summer Oh, well, those are the breaks... it's an $$$ trip for five!
yeh, we're shooting to go May 2007. No kidding its expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 of 36 Old 10-14-2006, 06:29 PM

Lived in Warsaw Poland for 4 short months, DH proposed me there and he's half Polish and we are going again in March 2007 to visit BIL and his family..

DD doesn't speak Polish but sometimes DH talks to her in Polish and she understand him
#13 of 36 Old 10-21-2006, 06:37 AM

I'm British, living in Poland for the last 10 years, 8 yr old dd is totally bi lingual...the other is 3 months and seems to cry in english!
I'm near the ukrainian border and interested in their literature....
As for the birthday thing, here the catholic name day is much more important than your birthday...
I sometimes get lonely out here...
#14 of 36 Old 10-26-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Anyhow, one quesion here: how do Russians celebrate birthdays over there? My dh seems to completely ignore our (his and mine) birthdays and I can't get a straight answer from him on this one. I was wondering if that is a cultural difference...?
You may want to check out Celebrating Birthdays in Russia by Cheryl L. Enderlein (ISBN Number: 1560657626). Maybe your local library has a copy of it; if not, you could buy it from www.cultureforkids.com.

Shifra
#15 of 36 Old 11-07-2006, 03:29 PM

Hi Easterners past and present...
I live in Belgrade, Serbia where I met and married my DH. We love it here and are planning on rasing our kids to be bilingual (DH is tri-lingual). We want to preserve the langauge and heritage wherever we are and go.

We are TTC #1. Wish us luck...
#16 of 36 Old 12-09-2006, 04:13 AM

DH is Latvian (although born in this country); I was a Baltic Studies major at University and lived in Riga for 6 months while studying at their University. (I also traveled through a lot of Eastern Europe that year.) DH is fluent in Latvian (it was his first language) and I am comfortable, and we are working to raise DD (9 months) speaking both languages.

We traveled through Latvia together a few times, got engaged over there, have family over there (DH's family; I'm an "adopted" Latvian), and hope in our wildest dreams to live there eventually.
#17 of 36 Old 12-28-2006, 04:51 PM

We are a Russian family. We've moved around quite a bit, but I made sure that dd was born in Russia. I lived in America alot of my life so I speak English like a native and I do have a passport. I love Russia and want to move back. I didn't want to come to America, but we just needed to for now. We're working our way back to Russia someday. It's the only place where I can feel 100% happy.

Oh, and we speaks English and Russian to our dd. I mix it up alot and my dh speaks to her in Russian about 95% of the time. It's so sad some of your husbands refuse to speak it. It can be so helpful and I'm sure the children will be disappointed when they are older.

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#18 of 36 Old 12-29-2006, 12:37 PM

well, here is an update on our language situation: since ds1 started Kindergarten this fall he has really become interested in letter. A while back I bought a set of cyrillic blocks with letter, numbers (and the numbers spelled out) and animals with the word spelled out. Griffin has really become interested in them an copies them out on his own; the letters, numbers and animals and asks my husband about them. Misha has started reading them stories and poems in Russian so it's a start. I wish he would just go tolka pa russki as soon as he sets foot in the door... but I'm not going to push it! Gonna buy the Russian Sesame Street DVDs and maybe a Russian course for kids. Any book recomendations? (favorite kids books and authors in Russian?)

Now we are thinking about making a trip this summer so that should give us some time to learn a bit of Russian so the kids can talk to Grandma!
#19 of 36 Old 12-30-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
well, here is an update on our language situation: since ds1 started Kindergarten this fall he has really become interested in letter. A while back I bought a set of cyrillic blocks with letter, numbers (and the numbers spelled out) and animals with the word spelled out. Griffin has really become interested in them an copies them out on his own; the letters, numbers and animals and asks my husband about them. Misha has started reading them stories and poems in Russian so it's a start. I wish he would just go tolka pa russki as soon as he sets foot in the door... but I'm not going to push it! Gonna buy the Russian Sesame Street DVDs and maybe a Russian course for kids. Any book recomendations? (favorite kids books and authors in Russian?)

Now we are thinking about making a trip this summer so that should give us some time to learn a bit of Russian so the kids can talk to Grandma!

A good idea would be to get him Russian cartoons, if you'd like. I have most of my things that I just had while living in Russia, but there actually is a website I found that is based in America and is directed towards Russian children who were adopted, but they have some good things: http://www.adoptedfromrussia.com/index.html
I haven't needed to buy anything from them because I go to Russia often, but if you can't get there as often it may help!

Did you name your child Mikhail or Michael? [edit: now I realised that is your husbands name, oops!] We named our daughter Алёна and when it came time to get her report of birth abroad I decided to spell it Alyona. I don't know how great of an idea it was. They wanted to automatically spell it as Alena, but then people would pronounce it as "Alina" I thought. And now they just say... "Al-ee-oh-na". At the time we didn't really know if we'd ever end up living in America though. Don't know how much longer we'll end up staying though. :P

#20 of 36 Old 12-30-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I find that very very very strange because birthdays in Russia are usually the most favourite holiday for people. Well, that or New Year. I don't know if we do anything abnormal. In our family there is usually alcohol. Doesn't matter the birthday! We usually are toasting alot... Um, there is alot of food and there is some cake! You blow candles out, etc. We just sit at the table and drink, eat, talk, joke and laugh.

#21 of 36 Old 01-01-2007, 07:30 AM

Hi

I am In Estonia . Next to Latvia. Anyway used to live in US for a 7 years, unfortunately DH hated it, so when we met and married I agreed to move back to Estonia.SO now we are here for almost 4 months. Its strange a little fo rme as all my friends from here are pretty much gone. Do you find this happening too , living tehre and there?
#22 of 36 Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 PM
EVC

I can't believe I missed this thread!

DH is from Kiev which is where we met and married (I lived there for about three years), and dd was born in Armenia (dh and I lived there for about a year and a half before moving here to California).

We speak Russian at home and that is dd's first language, but as she is in daycare now, she has learned a few English words. Dh, on the other, has not managed to learned any English in the 15 months that we have lived in the US :

Eventually we would like to move back to Kiev.....

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#23 of 36 Old 06-24-2007, 06:54 PM

I'm not in Eastern Europe yet, but the family and I are moving to Sofia, Bulgaria in the beginning of August!

I have only a slight advantage on the language front: I took some Russian in college. That really means I can correctly pronounce the words on signs and menus and such, but I don't know what the heck I'm saying.

To the mom who found Cyrillic letter blocks, where did you get them?? DD is 5 and will be attending an American school for kindergarten, but I'd love to have these available for her.

Hope to find some other moms in the country on this forum soon!

Best,

JA
#24 of 36 Old 06-25-2007, 10:43 AM

Hi all,
I am an American and married to a Pole. We have lived in Poland now for 3 years and have an 11 month old DD, Zosia (Zosha). I speak Polish fairly well now, but it is still hard here as i have very few friends and not much to do. We live in a town called Lomza, which is about 2 hours NE of Warsaw and about 1 hour from Bialystok. I speak English and Dh speaks Polish to our little girl! I would love to get in touch with any others! Danni
#25 of 36 Old 06-28-2007, 05:56 PM
EVC

It's nice to see this thread come back to life

Quote:
To the mom who found Cyrillic letter blocks, where did you get them??
We have some that we bought abroad, but I have seen them in mail order catalogs here in the US.

Here is one set:

http://www.ruskniga.com/sell.asp/Ite...%20kids/sc/205

You might find some more here:

http://www.ruskniga.com/default.asp/...code/searchnew

#26 of 36 Old 06-29-2007, 08:49 AM

I actually found them at a toy store but had to special order them. http://www.unclegoose.com/BlocksMain.html these are the brand and maybe you could try calling them.

We really like them. My six year old has already started copying the letters and words on them and asking about how to pronounce. Each side has a letter, number and animal with the word, all in cyrillic.
#27 of 36 Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 AM

question- any nonvaxers here? I have heard that vaxes are mandatory in Russia. Is this so and if anyone is nonvaxing, how did you get around it?

Dh is talking about moving us to Russia for maybe 1/2 a year so that is why I am asking.
#28 of 36 Old 06-30-2007, 03:18 PM
EVC

Quote:
question- any nonvaxers here? I have heard that vaxes are mandatory in Russia. Is this so and if anyone is nonvaxing, how did you get around it?

Dh is talking about moving us to Russia for maybe 1/2 a year so that is why I am asking.

I'm not sure in terms of the actual law, but I do know there are non-vaxer's in Russia, so it is possible to not vax there....Would your child be attending Russian school? Is that why you think it might come up?

#29 of 36 Old 07-25-2007, 01:50 PM
EVC

Just linking for anyone who has subbed....

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=710436

#30 of 36 Old 10-05-2007, 08:47 AM

Sophiabugmom... Is it GGIA.. My children attend that school here in Romania and I teach ESL there as well.

Super Crunchy natural birthing, extended breastfeeding, non-Circing, non vaxxing cloth diapering, Student midwife and Mama to Hannah 14 Abby 9 and Liam 1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page