Hairy Mamas Autumn/Winter 2006 Tribe - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
Finding your Tribe Archives 2008 > Hairy Mamas Autumn/Winter 2006 Tribe
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 05:47 PM 10-17-2006
This tribe is for women who don't remove their body hair, women who are thinking about not removing their body hair, women who only remove their body hair part of the time, and the men who love them.

Seasonal Hairy Mamas (ie if you shave in the summer and go au naturale in the cooler months) are welcome to join in!

Anyway, I went looking for the October thread to make a certain announcement, but I couldn't find one. Then I saw the September thead had one lonely post in the middle of October, and I decided to start an autumn thread, rather than an October thread!

On to my announcement:

2 days ago, I bought a package of razors for the first time in nearly 2 years. :

But they're not for me- my almost 12yo wanted to start shaving her legs! I figure that a child old enough to care about the appearance of her legs is old enough to decide if she wants to shave or not, and I'd rather teach her how to shave properly than have her try and figure it out on her own and possibly injure herself in the process.

Man I feel old! My baby wearing bras and shaving her legs???

trmpetplaya's Avatar trmpetplaya 09:54 PM 10-17-2006
Thank you for starting the new thread, Ruthla! And wow... someday I'll have a daughter old enough to wear bras and shave : Hopefully she'll choose to do neither, but it's up to her

love and peace.
Earth Angel's Avatar Earth Angel 10:48 PM 10-17-2006
Thanks for starting the thread Ruthla. Autumn is such a busy month, hopefully we'll all be able to chat more during the winter months!

Wow, those are such big milestones! I think it is important to support our children in the exact way you have. You may know that you don't want to shave but she needs the opportunity to figure out where she stands on the issue for herself, with loving, unconditional support from mamma
cfiddlinmama's Avatar cfiddlinmama 06:23 AM 10-18-2006
Ah Ruthla, thank you! I have missed my hairy mamas! I wanted to start the thread but I'm just so shy : I'm not cool like Arwyn or caspian'smama or you so I was just waiting impatiently .

Still hairy and loving it!
caspian's mama's Avatar caspian's mama 12:42 PM 10-18-2006
man, if YOU think i'm cool, then i must be... cuz you're SUPER COOL!!

i'm glad we have a new thread. a friend was visiting last night and i was telling her how the support from this community was such a huge factor in my not shaving last summer. thanks again, y'all!!
cfiddlinmama's Avatar cfiddlinmama 01:03 PM 10-18-2006
Dude - casi'smama THANKS! Right back atcha! This tribe has totally been the reason I've stayed hairy through the "persecution" from my acquaintances. Now that it's been 6 months, I'm totally confident, but it was a rocky start at first. It's so awesome to know that we have this awesome group of women influencing the world! :
SweetAfton's Avatar SweetAfton 04:54 PM 10-18-2006
I'm considering going all natural for the yeah 2007. Still have a couple months to think about it. Other than saving $$ on razors and saving time, what are the main advantages to being hairy?
greeniecolleenie's Avatar greeniecolleenie 06:11 PM 10-18-2006
Well I am not a hairy mama yet but I would like to be. I am hoping someone can answer this question: how long after you stop shaving your legs will the hair start to grow in softer and sliky? I have gone for maybe a month w/o shaving then start again because the hair is still prickly. If I just wait it out will the hair someday grow in smooth again? I HATE shaving
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 07:19 PM 10-18-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAfton View Post
I'm considering going all natural for the yeah 2007. Still have a couple months to think about it. Other than saving $$ on razors and saving time, what are the main advantages to being hairy?
Well, you don't risk cutting yourself on the razor or deal with the pain of waxing, and you get to appreciate your body the way it was meant to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniecolleenie View Post
Well I am not a hairy mama yet but I would like to be. I am hoping someone can answer this question: how long after you stop shaving your legs will the hair start to grow in softer and sliky? I have gone for maybe a month w/o shaving then start again because the hair is still prickly. If I just wait it out will the hair someday grow in smooth again? I HATE shaving
My hair is smooth, but I can't remember how long it took to get less prickly. I've heard that if you wax rather than shave it grows in smoother.
cfiddlinmama's Avatar cfiddlinmama 11:34 AM 10-19-2006
I think it took about a month for my hair to get soft. I would usually only shave once or twice a month anyways. The growing out wasn't that difficult for me cause I was so happy not be shaving anymore.
The benefits - no shaving!, saving money, less time in the shower (unless you want to be in longer), not feeling like you HAVE to shave or that you will be gross and prickly, hairy is sexy! I feel so beautiful with my body hair. I am a women, not a little girl, and I love feeling the way I'm supposed to. I really think my pit hair is sexy, I love to look at it! : I love it when I'm nursing my baby and she rubs it! : My dh was skeptical (at best) in the beginning, but you know what? He loves it now. He sticks up for me all the time when people are critical or grossed out.

Anyways, I find it really rewarding to not shave and it's been a great 6 months. I hope you have a good experience also!
Earth Angel's Avatar Earth Angel 01:39 PM 10-19-2006
greeniecolleenie, definately, just wait it out. Its kinda like growing your bangs out, if you've ever done that. There is a difficult period, but totally worth it once that part is all over

As far as the benefits of not shaving besides $$......I agree with all the pps and would add that you are also setting an example for all women and girls of how women were *meant* to look.

You show others that there is another option out there that is not necessarily the societal norm, but very normal all the same.

You aren't throwing razor blades and the plastic that goes with them into landfills.

You save water (shorter showers as mentioned before)

You can cut out one or 2 more products that you use on your body if you use shave gel or any types of special lotion due to dry legs/skin, which I don't seem to get the same way I did when I shaved (so that would be another bonus )

For me, I'd say also that not shaving has given me a sense of power and respect for myself as a woman......definately a HUGE bonus!!!
greeniecolleenie's Avatar greeniecolleenie 05:11 PM 10-19-2006
Thanks everybody! definitely more encouraged now.
vbutterfly's Avatar vbutterfly 08:22 PM 10-19-2006
greeniecolleenie, yes definately wait it out. All of the above are correct. Its worth it.
I do, however remember the first time a cold autumn breeze moved the hair on my legs, a strange sensation at first, but worth every moment.
*daciaperfect*'s Avatar *daciaperfect* 10:35 PM 10-19-2006
still here and still fuzzy

i had shoulder surgery on the 4th of this month. ugly mess, but im doing good with 2 screws in there to fix the bad. so before sugery i was full of concerns, like how can i do 'xyz' while my left upper extremity is immobilized til the middle of november. and a huge one....what if they need to make a large incision (i had arthroscopic) and they need to shave my armpit!!! i was going to wake up a little : if i was uneven in the pit hair dept.

im pretty pleased to see my pit hair still there now
Bufomander's Avatar Bufomander 10:44 PM 10-23-2006
checking back in!

also have a random question re deodorant (a few threads back there was quite a deodorant discussion going on).

i just bought a thing of tom's deodorant to try -- solid unscented. it seems like everytime i put it on it makes bubbles (!) in my armpit -- seriously, like when i close my arm, you can hear them popping. anybody use tom's and like it or have this problem?
Earth Angel's Avatar Earth Angel 10:53 PM 10-23-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
checking back in!

also have a random question re deodorant (a few threads back there was quite a deodorant discussion going on).

i just bought a thing of tom's deodorant to try -- solid unscented. it seems like everytime i put it on it makes bubbles (!) in my armpit -- seriously, like when i close my arm, you can hear them popping. anybody use tom's and like it or have this problem?

YES!!! Isn't it bizzarre!! I switched to using a Baking Soda paste made with water and TTO. Works sooooo much better, and no popping bubbles!!
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 01:15 AM 10-24-2006
I have a happy update on the DD shaving story.

4 days after shaving for the first time, she realized she didn't like the stubble. We had a conversation about how, yes, there really are women who shave every 2 or 3 days to avoid getting stubble. She thought that was : Then she said how she liked the smooth feeling, but didn't like the spots where she missed- those little strips of hair just felt weird next to smooth skin, and the stubble as it grows out was incredibly annoying to her! She also didn't like the way her skin itched right after shaving. Towards the end of the conversation, she wondered out loud "If G-d gives us leg hair, doesn't it serve some kind of purpose like eyelashes and eyebrows? Isn't removing it causing some kind of damage by messing up the natural order of things?"

Looks like I'm raising a hairy (to be) young woman!
caspian's mama's Avatar caspian's mama 12:46 PM 10-24-2006
woohoo! congrats to your wise little lady. (and congrats to you for being able to step back and find her own path.)

tom's deodorant is SO weird. i hated it in summertime because i always wear tank tops and it looked like i had rabid gerbils under there! i've been using plain, dry baking soda (in a little salt shaker) for about a month now. it hasn't left any residue on my clothes (except once when i mixed it with tea tree), it doesn't cake up or show at all with a tank top on, and i'm not stinky anymore. yay!!
Earth Angel's Avatar Earth Angel 01:59 PM 10-24-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian's mama View Post
tom's deodorant is SO weird. i hated it in summertime because i always wear tank tops and it looked like i had rabid gerbils under there! i've been using plain, dry baking soda (in a little salt shaker) for about a month now. it hasn't left any residue on my clothes (except once when i mixed it with tea tree), it doesn't cake up or show at all with a tank top on, and i'm not stinky anymore. yay!!
So you are using the BS dry? And it sounds like you leave it on? I took someone's advice on here and made a paste with it, water and TTO, put it on...brush and floss my teeth (it has gotten me back into that habit ....flossing that is!) then wash it off with warm water. Keeps me stinky free for at least a 24 hr pd, usually more, and I seem to be able to smell through most deodorants before a 24 hr pd is over!! And, I love how soft it makes my hair under there feel.
Earth Angel's Avatar Earth Angel 01:59 PM 10-24-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I have a happy update on the DD shaving story.

4 days after shaving for the first time, she realized she didn't like the stubble. We had a conversation about how, yes, there really are women who shave every 2 or 3 days to avoid getting stubble. She thought that was : Then she said how she liked the smooth feeling, but didn't like the spots where she missed- those little strips of hair just felt weird next to smooth skin, and the stubble as it grows out was incredibly annoying to her! She also didn't like the way her skin itched right after shaving. Towards the end of the conversation, she wondered out loud "If G-d gives us leg hair, doesn't it serve some kind of purpose like eyelashes and eyebrows? Isn't removing it causing some kind of damage by messing up the natural order of things?"

Looks like I'm raising a hairy (to be) young woman!

cfiddlinmama's Avatar cfiddlinmama 04:28 PM 10-24-2006
Yay Ruthla! That's a great story! I hope my dds will feel the same way. I hope my sons won't be like most men in the US and demand hairless women... It makes me so sad to hear my friends say they hate shaving but there is no way their dh would go for it. I'm so grateful my dh changed his mind and loves my fluff now!

I just wash my pits with baking soda in the shower once or twice a week and I usually don't stink. (Course, with my allergies I can't smell anything at all. My dog got sprayed by a skunk and I couldn't smell it. : Maybe I do stink after all. I wash my hair on my head with bs too! Before I quit shaving my pits stunk all the time w/ natural deo. The odor went away when I quit shaving which is way cool! (My dh would tell me if I stunk, I know he would! ) Ok, now I'm all paranoid - casi's mama did I stink?

I hated Tom's deo it gave me horrible rashes. The only one I found that worked for me was Avalon Org. lavender roll on.

Ciao my lovely hairy mamas!
caspian's mama's Avatar caspian's mama 08:05 PM 10-24-2006
man, you crack me up. as far as i could tell, you didn't have any "special aroma". i wasn't really paying much attention, though. mostly i was marvelling at how you'd managed to get yourself and four tots out of the house to get there... and you were all wearing pants, even!

yep, i use dry baking soda. after i get out of the shower and towel dry, i just shake a bit into my palm and pat/rub it on. i leave it on all day and i smell fine until after i've exercised on the following morning. i didn't exercise today and if i actually sniff my shirt i can smell a little something, but it's not overwhelming. f

or a few months this summer i just used essential oils alone. it worked to mask my natural smell, but didn't help with the sweatiness. the baking soda is the best thing i've found so far.
*jeanine*'s Avatar *jeanine* 03:56 PM 10-27-2006
Can I be a hairy mama? Well, I am a hairy mama, so can I be an "official" one?
I have not shaved my legs for like 9 years. I'm not against shaving my legs, I'd do it if there were a good reason. There just hasn't been a good reason the past nine years .
I shave my armpits when the hair gets annoying - every 3-6 months, I guess. I think the time between shaves keeps increasing.
I am definitely interested in what you mamas use for deodorant. In addition to being a hairy mama, I'm also a stinky mama . I've tried Tom's of Maine, but it didn't work, so I use mainstream deodorant, but I am sooo trying baking soda today!!!!
cfiddlinmama's Avatar cfiddlinmama 02:24 PM 10-28-2006
Of course you can be an official hairy mama! to our tribe & MDC!
greenwest's Avatar greenwest 05:20 PM 10-28-2006
Hows it going everyone :-)
Bufomander's Avatar Bufomander 10:24 AM 10-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Angel View Post
YES!!! Isn't it bizzarre!! I switched to using a Baking Soda paste made with water and TTO. Works sooooo much better, and no popping bubbles!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian's mama View Post
woohoo! congrats to your wise little lady. (and congrats to you for being able to step back and find her own path.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
I just wash my pits with baking soda in the shower once or twice a week and I usually don't stink. (Course, with my allergies I can't smell anything at all. My dog got sprayed by a skunk and I couldn't smell it. : Maybe I do stink after all. I wash my hair on my head with bs too! Before I quit shaving my pits stunk all the time w/ natural deo. The odor went away when I quit shaving which is way cool! (My dh would tell me if I stunk, I know he would! ) Ok, now I'm all paranoid - casi's mama did I stink?

I hated Tom's deo it gave me horrible rashes. The only one I found that worked for me was Avalon Org. lavender roll on.

Ciao my lovely hairy mamas!
glad to know that i wasn't imagining the bubbles! this winter and spring, i'd been using a wet paste of baking soda and water immediately after my shower on dry armpits -- rubbing it in then wasing it off. it seemed to be working fairly well, though i hadn't found a way to do it with out getting water and baking soda all over the floor/sink... well, maybe not all over, but i was still trying to find a simple way of doing it.... Anyway, then we moved in june and i just kind of got out of the habit (as i did with no shampoo-ing)... i don't tend to like roll-ons, but maybe i should try avalon anyway?....
tootpapa's Avatar tootpapa 10:00 AM 11-06-2006
Howdy Y'all,

Joinin' up. To all the new hairy moma's - hello. To everyone who is still experiencing difficulties with men not appreciating your hairy glory - these guys need a crash course in Sexism 101. They need to learn that their judgements of women are just more of the same old crap that women always have to put up with - that their primary value is in their appearance as defined by societal norms. Ask them how they would feel about being required to wear a business suit all the time just to be considered an attractive person. I bet a lot of them wouldn't go for it. And the point which kills me is that people don't question these things. Once we internalize these notions ("women should be hairless") we think they are ours, but they aren't. We just picked them up along the way somehow. Don't want to be too hard on your loved ones and I know that in the context of a relationship things are different, but be strong on this one, because you are right! These guys need to stand up join in the hairy crusade...

Today MDC, tomorrow the world!

take care

P.S. I guess you can see that I just discovered a bunch of new smilies.
caspian's mama's Avatar caspian's mama 12:47 PM 11-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootpapa View Post

thanks for the wise words (as usual), tootpapa.
BlackMan_NYC's Avatar BlackMan_NYC 01:15 PM 11-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootpapa View Post
Howdy Y'all,

Joinin' up. To all the new hairy moma's - hello. To everyone who is still experiencing difficulties with men not appreciating your hairy glory - these guys need a crash course in Sexism 101. They need to learn that their judgements of women are just more of the same old crap that women always have to put up with - that their primary value is in their appearance as defined by societal norms. Ask them how they would feel about being required to wear a business suit all the time just to be considered an attractive person. I bet a lot of them wouldn't go for it. And the point which kills me is that people don't question these things. Once we internalize these notions ("women should be hairless") we think they are ours, but they aren't. We just picked them up along the way somehow. Don't want to be too hard on your loved ones and I know that in the context of a relationship things are different, but be strong on this one, because you are right! These guys need to stand up join in the hairy crusade...

Today MDC, tomorrow the world!

take care

HAIRY/HIRSUTE and UNSHAVEN WOMAN=100%PURE FEMININE SENSUALITY!!

One of the saddest things is that there are women in certain ethnic groups who are more prone to being hirsute(women of Mediterranean, East Indian, Middle Eastern, Latinas/Hispanic, and African-American backgrounds)than in others and quite often those women are shunned for something that is a natural(and in my opinion, beautiful)physical trait....Furthermore, if many of my fellow brethren understood that an unshaven woman carries abundantly more feminine pheromones than a shaven woman, then they would be BEGGING their women not to shave....
tootpapa's Avatar tootpapa 01:37 PM 11-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMan_NYC View Post
HAIRY/HIRSUTE and UNSHAVEN WOMAN=100%PURE FEMININE SENSUALITY!!

One of the saddest things is that there are women in certain ethnic groups who are more prone to being hirsute(women of Mediterranean, East Indian, Middle Eastern, Latinas/Hispanic, and African-American backgrounds)than in others and quite often those women are shunned for something that is a natural(and in my opinion, beautiful)physical trait....Furthermore, if many of my fellow brethren understood that an unshaven woman carries abundantly more feminine pheromones than a shaven woman, then they would be BEGGING their women not to shave....
Yeah, my ex-girlfriend, who was quite hairy (hairier than me), only got messed-up comments from white men in Philly, as I recall. At the time, the peculiar anti-hariness had not fully penetrated the African-American community there. But it is true that many women of different ethnicities have lots more hair and thus a harder time fitting into this ridiculous idea. I have know a few who have had a rough time until they just said no.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up