Progressive ob/gyn Atlanta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Everyone. DH and I moved to ATL a year ago and are currently TTC#1. Before we moved here I had always assumed I would give birth at a birthing center, but there do not seem to be any in the Atlanta area (kind of shocking to me, considering the size of the city). I am not really brave enough for the whole home birth experience, but I do want to avoid the medicalization of pregnancy/child birth as much as possible. Are there any progressive Ob/Gyns that you can recommend to me? I live in Decatur, but I realize I am probably going to have to do some driving to find the kind of care I a want.
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 02:28 AM

I highly recommend North Fulton Hospital and North Point OB/GYN.
http://www.npobgyn.com

I live in Fayette County and I drove an hour each way to see Margaret and Kay during my most recent pregnancy.

I have also had a homebirth, and I can say with confidence that this was closer to a homebirth experience than my 3 previous hospital births!

They do waterbirth, and you can refuse any of the stupid routine newborn procedures. We did, just signed the papers and that was it.
No shots.
No eye goop (I have no STDs that a baby would need protecting from).
No invalid PKU test that would just need to be RE-done after my milk came in.
We even nixed the hearing screen, since they do that AWAY from mom in the nursery, and we wanted her back with us ASAP.
I also told them no bath, I will do that myself. I LOVE giving my babes their first bath, getting to know all their amazing little fingers and toes! Plus if the nurse does it, the baby's temp will go down and then they make you wait to have YOUR BABY back until they decide the temp is acceptable.

Anyways, I got no arguments. It was very good.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:33 AM

I absolutely second what Kathryn said. Midwives at Northpointe are great. I see them for my regular well woman care. If you use them, make sure to use Dr. Kute for your pediatrician (at least while you're in the hospital) b/c she will release you to leave early and makes sure your baby won't get anything you don't want him/her to have.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 10-31-2006, 10:36 AM

I third the recommendation.

I even had a c-section, and I was still pleased with the care I got. My baby did go to the nursery, but dh was with him every step of the way. He got his hearing test done then, at like 25 minutes old, so that I could get him back and keep him with me. As soon as I got into recovery, he came in there with me. We breastfed in recovery. He stayed on my chest for the entire 36 hour stay. We got to go home early with no problems.

They were wonderful.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, sounds like Margaret is really the only way to go. I am I the only one who finds it kind of sad that we don't have a lot of choice here? Oh well, at least we do have Margaret, right?

How hard is it to get in to see her and how soon after a BFP should I call to start making arrangements?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2006, 09:35 AM

Another rec for Margaret! We had our 4th with her and LOVED her. I too refused all newborn procedures except for the hearing which I nursed my babe through. The nurse set it up next to a rocking chair and I nursed my dd while she was 'tested'! I also refused to be weighed during my pg care and did an alternative GTT. I will say the nurses in the office were not that great, but once you get past them the mw are amazing!

And yes I find it very sad that we have so few birthing choices here.

momma to 4!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Yeah, the nurses in the office were not always the best, but they were worth it to see Margaret. They gave me eye rolls about the GTT, one of them told me to strip down, and when I said I wasn't getting in internal exam she said, she'd ask about that, but she thought *they* would want to do one. HELLO! My body, my PRIVATES and I said no... get a clue!

I definitely think it SUCKS the lack of choices in birth here. We should have a free standing birth center! We should have natural birth friendly care at most of the hospitals! We should have the freedom to choose homebirth without feeling like we are trying to set up a black-market adoption.

You know how Sonny Perdue is making commercials about his "Sonny-Do list?"
Well, he may or may not be re-elected, but IF he is, let's get our voices heard in support of better quality of care for birth!
http://www.votesonny.com/default.asp?pt=doc&doc=sonnydo
Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 PM

the nurses were always respectful to me. they asked, hey, are you going to get checked today? before they told me to get undressed. and they were so happy to meet the baby when i came back. leslie, the checkout lady, was nice, too, once she figured out i called the shots on when i came for visits (i had a weird work schedule, so my visits weren't all at exactly 2 ir 4 weeks)
Old 11-01-2006, 09:26 PM

I also think it's sad there is little choice. I got "lucky" and had the opportunity to move to Philadelphia during my pg. Once I discovered there was a FSBC nearby I jumped at the chance. N. Fulton would have been my choice if I had not relocated with my dh. I do believe that if there is another baby in our future, it will be born at home. I always wanted that, but it scared me. I don't feel scared anymore, and dh will just have to live with my choice.

ETA: I find it strange to have to fight with nurses over your care. I am SO glad I never had to deal with a nurse until she helped with my delivery and pp care. My mw always took 1 hour to talk with me - they were pretty allopathic but not near as bad as a physician.

Thanks for the link to Sonny Perdue's suggestion form.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Old 11-03-2006, 05:32 PM

Dr. Joseph Tate is someone else to consider - always good to check out a couple of practices for yourself and explore all your options.
He delivers out of Crawford Long Hospital in Midtown Atlanta
He does Vaginal Breech births- even in first time moms....
He does Vaginal twin births- even if twin A is breech...
He does VBACs after multiple C-sections....
He has a 5% C-section rate.

He is easily accessible via email and phone- you don't have to jump through the hoops to try and talk to your careprovider.
Just another option He says his MD stands for "midwife in disguise"
(770) 449-8171 is his office's phone number
Old 11-03-2006, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Nfpmom - Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually heard some really good things about Joseph Tate. If DH and I decide we feel more comfortable going with an MD we will definitely check him out.

Another docotor that has been suggested to us is Andrew Dott. Has anyone heard anything (or had any experiences) with him?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:56 PM

Dr. Dott is a great doc also. He does back-up care for some of the "underground" homebirth midwives. I have heard that he is very pro-VBAC. I think he delivers at Northside.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 11-04-2006, 12:40 AM

Another for Margaret. I had an absolutely awesome experience with her and with North Fulton with my second. The birth with my first (at Northside) ended up the way I demanded, but it was a fight every step of the way, and I knew leaving that hospital that I would not be doing that again. With Margaret, there was never any fight, and she hung in there with me for a completely natural birth the whole 23 1/2 hours (not that I was counting or anything!). I drove from Decatur, and it was worth it.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpmom View Post
Dr. Joseph Tate is someone else to consider - always good to check out a couple of practices for yourself and explore all your options.
He delivers out of Crawford Long Hospital in Midtown Atlanta
He does Vaginal Breech births- even in first time moms....
He does Vaginal twin births- even if twin A is breech...
He does VBACs after multiple C-sections....
He has a 5% C-section rate.

He is easily accessible via email and phone- you don't have to jump through the hoops to try and talk to your careprovider.
Just another option He says his MD stands for "midwife in disguise"
(770) 449-8171 is his office's phone number
I went thru the Emory Midwives at Crawford Long, but ended up haveing Dr. Tate deliver. He was great! even made the nurse hand hold the doppler during pushing b/c he knew I did't want to be strapped to the machine. He didn't stress when DS was having decels. I am glad to read that he is so well known for his natural deliveries (we just thought we were lucky!)

To find the Emory Midwives go to emoryhealthcare.org and call the client services number. Ask for the midwives who work at the Crawford Long OB/GYN office. They do a thing called Centering Pregnancy and you can do all your pre-natal check-ups on Emopry's Campus (a group format with lots of teaching.. think about it you spend no time in a waiting room and while everyone is taken out individually to do BP/weight and Heart tones, the rest get to talk about their concerns and baby development etc.)

I highly recommend them
Old 11-06-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
Another docotor that has been suggested to us is Andrew Dott. Has anyone heard anything (or had any experiences) with him?
A friend of mine saw Dr Dott for a version when her baby was breech. She ended up having a homebirth, but she said he was another one of the "midwife in disguise" OB's. He is also an old-school OB who will do vaginal breech (but I think you have to have a proven pelvis to have a vaginal breech with him)- he will do VBACs, but only after 1 CS, not after 2 or more.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:00 PM

i don't know how typical my experience was, but i had a c-section at emory crawford long. the little one had some breathing difficulties, so i didn't get to see him for about 4 hours afterwards. but once i got him, he slept in my bed the entire time and no one blinked an eye. lactation consultant visited me a few times, i was encouraged to attend the breastfeeding class, and that was that. the nurses (with the exception of one, and i think she was mildly nuts) were fabulous!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:03 PM

wow! that's good to know about this doctor and that he is a vbac friendly!
and about birthing centers here in atlanta there aren't any there's only one in Savannah.. and I have heard great things from Margret too!
I'm a doula, and she comes highly recomended from another doula.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:12 AM

i had a great vbac at piedmont with the cnms at atl ob/gyn assoc. mws are mary jane lewitt, judith cox and wendy freeman. great great exp!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of the information. Please keep it coming, hopefully it will come in handy for us very soon :
Old 11-12-2006, 01:16 PM

Just wanted to add that I tried the mw at Piedmont (Mary Jane) and met a LOT of resistence/hostility with even suggesting anything out of the 'norm'. I questioned the GTT test, refusing newborn vac, vit K, eye goo and didn't want to be weighed (I am a normal sized woman with 3 healthy babies prior ). I had to switch and I am soo thankful I did. Margaret was so amazing and supportive of my choices. She made our last birth truly special and made it feel like it was MY (and my dh) birth! I live in metro-atlanta and drove about 45min and it was worth every extra second in the car!

momma to 4!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 PM

I had a great experience w/Margaret with my last baby. I highly recommend her!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjandosmom View Post
Just wanted to add that I tried the mw at Piedmont (Mary Jane) and met a LOT of resistence/hostility with even suggesting anything out of the 'norm'. I questioned the GTT test, refusing newborn vac, vit K, eye goo and didn't want to be weighed (I am a normal sized woman with 3 healthy babies prior ). I had to switch and I am soo thankful I did. Margaret was so amazing and supportive of my choices. She made our last birth truly special and made it feel like it was MY (and my dh) birth! I live in metro-atlanta and drove about 45min and it was worth every extra second in the car!

hmm, sounds very different from my exp. i saw judith and wendy mostly. i'd say judith is the most natural minded.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:20 PM

It is interesting to read these things about Mary Jane.

I saw her for prenatal care with my first, she was working with one OB at that time, ended up the OB was on call when DS was born. He's a very evil man, no joke. Everything you've heard about doctors with a god-complex, lying, manipulating patients to get their way, he embodies ALL of it. I am not just basing this on my own experience, several others have reported similar dealings with him, and the LLL leader told me she knew many women who were damaged by him.

I recall my pregnancy care as having been fairly mainstream typical medical with the exception that I had a post-meal test instead of the sugar drink.

Another mom in my childbirth class was seeing them. She had an unmedicated birth, lucky girl. I ended up with unnecessary pitocin induction at 39 weeks (I was told I was in labor when it was NORMAL pre-labor, NOT active labor, then given pit when, naturally, the contractions stopped), epidural because pitocin is hellish, episiotomy, the whole works. I only escaped a c-section by the skin of my teeth.

I still see ads for the OB in local papers, phone books, etc. I noticed Mary Jane's name was no longer listed with his, and wondered what happened to her. Now I know!

Even if MJ was still working here on the south side, separate from the evil OB, I would STILL drive the hour+ up to N. Fulton. No question.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:04 PM

Dr Dott is very cool. There's also a midwifery practice that operates out of his Riverbend OB/GYN Northside office. Laurie Snead was my CNM. I can't say enough good things about her. I hated Northside Hospital (and will def make the trip to N Fulton next time), but with Laurie, my doula and DH for support and advocacy it went wonderfully.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:06 AM

I did not ever birth with Dott, but I used him for back up in my first pregnancy. My experiences with him were mixed. I heard some negative things from another mama too. I never would think of him as "progressive." More old school. Old enough to remember when they did c-sections <10% and things were no worse.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post
I did not ever birth with Dott, but I used him for back up in my first pregnancy. My experiences with him were mixed. I heard some negative things from another mama too. I never would think of him as "progressive." More old school. Old enough to remember when they did c-sections <10% and things were no worse.
This is what I've heard about Dr. Dott as well. I think he might back up some of the Clinica de la Mama practices around town, so he's used to high volume type care.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the great information, everyone! I just found out that I am pregnant with my first, and I am a little confused and overwhelmed at trying to figure out the most natural-friendly delivery options. How does the Emory Midwives thing work? Do you select a midwife and then take the doctor that is on call?
Old 11-25-2006, 12:26 PM

If you truly want the most 'natural' birth and still use a hosptal I would honestly say Margaret is your only choice.

Congrats on finding yourself pg! It is such a wonderful time....enjoy!!

momma to 4!
Old 11-25-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjandosmom View Post
If you truly want the most 'natural' birth and still use a hosptal I would honestly say Margaret is your only choice.

Congrats on finding yourself pg! It is such a wonderful time....enjoy!!
ITA

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,
Just wanted to let everyone know that I made an appointment (annual well woman exam, not the prenatal I was hoping for...DARN with Margaret on Dec 21. I will re-post after the visit to let everyone know how it went. Thank you so much for the information you have shared with me in this thread. Please keep it coming - I will know that I will continue to check here for info and I assume that other Atlanta-area mamas (or mama's to be) will too.

User Tag List