Looking for the Travelling/ nomadic tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2006, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a tribe for travelling/ nomadic families?
I've been searching around a bit, but only found threads a year old or more, dusty and forgotten, it seems.
Are there any other families who dont have a home-base, or who travel/ move around a lot?

I left my home to travel when I was 19, back in '98, and left the country (Australia) a year later, never to return. Seven years on the road, mostly going to rainbow gatherings, I passed more than 50 countries, met DH in Kenya, we married in Cyprus, concieved on a yacht in Holland, gave birth on the road (literally) in Brazil.

DD was in around 20 countries before she was 2 years old, including a trip from Argentina to Canada overland (slinging and CDing all the way!), now we've been in the middle east for a while, but heading to South Asia, Thailand for the rainbow gathering.

Anyway, I'd love to meet other travellin' mamas.
Is there an established thread running or can we call this it?

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2006, 03:59 PM

Wow Majikfaerie! That sounds exciting! Im not a traveling Momma.....in fact the furthest out of the USA I've been about 45 mins into Mexico from San Diego Calif! How do you do it? I hope this doesnt sound "stupid" but, what about vehicles? Do you have one for a while, then sell it & get another when you get somewhere? You rent a house or apart or something for awhile? What do you & or DH do for a living? I would love to see the world that way. I like some conveniences, but think it would be sooooooo exciting. If you're willing to "share" your life I would love to hear about it! (live vicariously though you!) :
Old 11-15-2006, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

well, a quick rundown,
I travelled mostly by hitchhiking overland, Asia and Africa and Europe, then DD was born, we did buy a car, and drove around brazil in it till DD was 6 months, we also rented a home on a paradise beach for a couple of months in that time, but for the most part, we were with backpacks on buses or hitchhiking.
When DD was 12 months, I split up with her dad and travelled with her alone from Costa Rica to Canada, then over to Europe and finally to the middle East, for 6 months. Yep, with the cloth diapers too!
It was tough a lot of the time, but people were always really friendly and helpful (except for US immigration - DD took her first steps in the US border in Texas, but that didnt speed up the 5 hour search they did on our car!!)

For a lot of the time I was making money playing music on the street and selling stuff I crocheted, then DH was supporting us (he was/is a computer programmer and saved a big bunch of money to travel, actually when I got pg he worked and saved enough that neither of us would need to work till our baby turned one year old, so it was great for her to have 2 SAH parents for the first 12 months!! )

anyway, I'm busy packing...

Old 12-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Hello !
Yup, another fulltime nomad here, since age 18 ( I am 34 now). WE seem to definitely be the minority.

I have been doing rainbow gatherins for 16 years now. My husband Moss and I have been travelling the last few years in a veggie oil fueld, solar powered house bus (along with four birds and a dog). I just recently discovered I was pregnant. We still plan on travelling, though maybe having some raw land as a homebase. I guess we are going to have to redesign the bus a bit for a nursery, lol !

I am so excited to share our lifestyle and hearts with a child !

We are probably going to have a home water birth (in or near the bus). We have this old wood fired hot tub stove that I think will be perfect, we will just need a lot of wood stacked up and ready to go.

Anyway, I have been searching the forums today for other fulltime, bus, van or rv living nomad moms, hoping to connect...

Much Love ~ Pixie
Old 12-04-2006, 07:22 PM

A couple of other threads have been started and abandoned but here are some links anyhow.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=nomad

We're not traveling now, but we live on our sailboat and plan to start traveling again soon when DS is about 5 (once the dog dies, he's too old to travel. And once we save some $$ and finish a load of boat projects!)

Cheers!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:50 PM

My fam is planning a time abroad right now. DH is self-employed and his current contract is up in June. So, we would like to rent out our solar house to friends then travel for a while. We would really like to do something like the peace corps but not for a two year commitment. Working with women in the child-bearing year would be awesome to do internationally so we are seeking out some programs right now.

We are saving money and selling off stuff via craigslist so that we won't have to work full-time while abroad.

We do use cloth diapers but are doing some EC. Perhaps in 4 months, DD can be out of diapers for the trip? I need to be more consistent about it. What did you do for washing diapers w/o a permanent home base? We would probably do communal living and hostels.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:26 PM

I envy you all!!
Dh and I travelled for years and years in our R.V. with two kiddos.
DD, who was being unschooled decided at age 8 she nEEDED to try school. So here we are- we actually bought a house last year and paid off land in N.M. ...I plan to head to the land A.S.A.P...but for now I sit here and drive 2 to school and soccer games and b-day parties and a whole lot of other fun things...
We are happy!! (but i miss the freedom)

Oh- we did our diapers at public laundy mats...

Peace all-
Old 02-03-2007, 03:17 AM

glad to hear that public laundry mats worked well.

i lived in india and nepal for a while. i washed my own laundry in the bathroom in a bucket or sent it out to be washed by someone else. neither one of those sound appealing for cloth dipes. as soon as my babe is well, again (i think she has the stomach bug) and not having liquid poop leaks, we'll work on potty learning some more.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Hey all
Just surfacing briefly for a quick update - after 3 months in Thailand, most of which spent on a paradise beach in the jungle at the World Rainbow gathering, we are now in Cambodia...
gonna be here a few weeks to attend the birth of a friend's baby, and prolly stay for dd's 4th birthday (mid april), then...
China? Australia? Timbuktoo?
more later!

Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
Hey all
Just surfacing briefly for a quick update - after 3 months in Thailand, most of which spent on a paradise beach in the jungle at the World Rainbow gathering, we are now in Cambodia...
gonna be here a few weeks to attend the birth of a friend's baby, and prolly stay for dd's 4th birthday (mid april), then...
China? Australia? Timbuktoo?
more later!
what part of thailand were you living?

i may be there in september, in chang mai.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:51 PM

Here is an awesome blog of a traveling fam. their dd is about 2 years old and they are preggo with another one.

http://batikbaby.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html

Old 04-30-2007, 03:44 PM

MMMM...traveling is in my bones and my heart...
But, as per advice of my family and husband (who's named Nomad) we're trying our best to settle for a while.
We must make money, and have a stable environment for our child's first year before we start moving around again.

I left home when I was 18 and have just made it back for the first visit and to announce my baby is on his way.

Nomad left home when he was 16 and I dragged him up here.

I wish you luck and light in your travels, Faerie...At least with a family like our rainbow family we are safe and loved where ever we find ourselves....lucky lucky womoon...
Old 04-30-2007, 04:19 PM

wow... these stories are amazing... i know in my heart i would be soo much more happier traveling.. (i move alot because i get restless) but unfortunately I am a single mama... and i have no crafty skills to get us by... i have much respect for those that do...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Well, our travels continue, after 6 weeks in Cambodia, we went back to Thailand to meet up with DD's father, spent 3 weeks in bangkok and ... flew to Australia! its amazing, to be here after so many years on the road! well... we're not going to my hometown or to visit my family, but staying in a city where I've never lived before, and we're not really settling, but thinking about buying a campervan and driving around the country... but this is definately getting closer to settling down. still, just when we were getting on the plane, DD was saying, "and after we go to australia, let's go to Costa Rica, and then to China, and then to India, okay mama"

Old 05-05-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
Well, our travels continue, after 6 weeks in Cambodia, we went back to Thailand to meet up with DD's father, spent 3 weeks in bangkok and ... flew to Australia! its amazing, to be here after so many years on the road! well... we're not going to my hometown or to visit my family, but staying in a city where I've never lived before, and we're not really settling, but thinking about buying a campervan and driving around the country... but this is definately getting closer to settling down. still, just when we were getting on the plane, DD was saying, "and after we go to australia, let's go to Costa Rica, and then to China, and then to India, okay mama"
interesting...we will kinda do the reverse and go to australia first and then on to thailand! we'll be in perth in july. are you going to be around there? we'll be in chiang mai around september through november.

i am open to any advice you have to offer me.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:03 AM

i am wondering if it is possible to be a single mom and on the road... i don't have lots of money so i would have to work... i would probably stay in canada... i have been thinking about this for years... anyone know any single parent traveling families?

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

I travelled as a single mother with my DD (starting when she was 12mo until about 18mo) from Costa Rica all the way to BC, Canada, and then over to Quebec, we flew to England, and travelled around the UK and Germany a bit before going to Israel, to visit her father (and got back together with him). So yes, it is definately posisble to travel as a single mother, and I had a budget of about $10 - 15 / day, so money isnt always the major issue either.

Gunter, about Perth, I'm from the East, so i've no idea what to tell you about being over there, and I've never been up to Chaing Mai either, despite living in thailand on and off for the last 7 years. you should definately make a trip into Laos though, its beautiful and laid back... like stepping back in time, in the far north anyway!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 PM

wow majikfaerie i admire you...

so if you don't mind my asking how did you do it???

i am still sooo interested in traveling with dd but yet to find a way to make money on the road... i was thinking of RVing... but i don't know what i would do for childcare when i had to work

Old 05-08-2007, 03:06 PM

Well, I am reading this thread with interest, since I got to do a bit of this a few years ago. I stayed in India for 4 months, loved it, hated it, never wanted to leave. I would go there in a flash again, to live permanently.

I have a friend who recently traveled to Chang Mai, and she said it was beautiful, and the people were extremely friendly.

I have three natural nomadics. Each one of my kids loves to travel, and they all have traveled during their early years, abroad and here in the states.
Wish you single mamas could tell me how you managed flying, and renting places, on barely anything? How much did you have when you started out? How did you raise money while traveling? Did you depend on someone else to send you money?

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Old 05-09-2007, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

well, its a long story.
how does any single mother manage to do anything? travelling is no different.
I started out with a 12mo dd, a backpack with all our clothes, cloth diapers, camping gear and everything, weighing about 20kg (the maximum I can manage to carry, and pretty average for overland backpacking), a day bag that I managed to stuff with enough cloth diapers, spare baby clothes and a few assorted toys for a day, my mandolin (which to save space, instead of having a travel case for it, I wrapped it in our spare blanket and tied with the rope we needed for putting up the tarpaulin when camping - i also used it as a laundry line), a good bolivian-style cloth tie sling, and a super-lighweight umbrella-folding stroller that someone gave me in costa rica.

I'd go with my big backpack on my back, DD in the sling on my front, and the daybag and mandolin in the stroller. When i went to germany we did it without the stroller, but it was tough. and I didnt have the mandolin then!

We had a minimum of clothes; for me: 1 pair of trousers, i pair of warm leggins, 4 t-shirts, 1 long sleeved shirt, 2 sweaters, 1 skirt, 4 changes of underwear. for dd: 12 cloth diapers, 4 plastic covers, 4 trousers, 3 dresses, 3 singlets, 3 tshirts, 3 sweaters, 2 all-in-one suits, 1 rainsuit.
for camping we had a super tiny cheap tent and a plastic tarp, a sheepskin and a good sleeping bag and an extra blanket.
I had a plastic bucket, a little cooking pot and a good pocket knife, a small bag of essential first aid stuff, a novel to read, a journal, a notepad, a few selected small lightweight toys, and that's about it.
the bucket was so useful, since we did cloth diapers, but I did manage without it from time to time. and cheap plastic buckets can be found everywhere for a dollar or 2. I also found a lot of people were happy to let me borrow a bucket for laundry, in the 3rd world at least.

For money, DD's father gave me $2000 when we broke up, and I made it stretch a long way, also by selling stuff I crochet, and playing music in the street (i taught DD to hold the hat, and sometimes we made a killing )

basically, we moved slowly, and DD was pretty used to long bus rides. without breastfeeding and babywearing, i really dont know how i would manage. and I found that people were really helpful because I had a baby.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:12 AM

i don´t fall into this category but i love to read your stories...reviving the thread...come back and tell us what you are up to!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:02 PM

yes, please, come back and tell us how things are going!

when i was 16/17 my dh and i were talking about getting a camper or rv and just hitting the road. we figured we could just go wherever we felt like and i could pick up a waitressing job or something and he could fix cars and stuff. we'd make a little money and then hit the road again.

sadly, this never happened. we did live in hotels and stuff for awhile after my mother kicked us out when her new bf moved in. then i got pg at 17 1/2 and since we were back at home, i let my mother talk me out of leaving. i wish i hadn't let myself be convinced that it would be too hard.

i worked at a renaissance faire last summer and two of my coworkers were "faire gypsys" (that's what they called themselves). one of the ladies had 2 kids that she was homeschooling and her dh was a jouster. she had some great stories living on the road and following the faires!

talking to her made me start thinking about traveling again, but i have a feeling that that's going to still be a few years off, since 4 kids and special needs will be tough to handle in a small rv, not to mention the gas prices lately!

i saw somebody on here saying something about a solar powered bus/van? how does that work??!

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
Old 06-01-2008, 05:07 PM

I aspire to be nomadic. I havent yet found a way to do it. You are an inspiration. What an awesome lifestyle.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:13 PM

now that i think of it...
started travelling with my parents when i was 3. they divorced and we left mexico when i was 5, went back to work one year only...i´m now 33 and going back next month.
we´ve been around, usa, guatemala, argentina, czech republic and now spain. i´ve been here for over 6 years, got married, gave birth to my son , getting divorced and heading back home.
it´s incredible, when you are used to travelling, that´s all you can think of. i´m not back yet and i´m already thinking of where i can go as a single mother next...
not nomadic¿? would love to be more! especially now that i have my son with me, i´d love to hit the road with him.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

apt that this thread got revived now...
we just left china yesterday, and are now in thailand for a month.

User Tag List